PDA

View Full Version : Humvee driving down an Iraqi road!

Finlander
01-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Honestly! Why are some americans acting like this? honestly now? No wonder some iraqis are pissed! :roll:

http://break.com/index/humvee_driving_in_iraqi_traffic.html

Marvin!!
01-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Well, to be fair we don't know the circumstances behind this video. Perhaps there was an IED casualty in the back and they were rushing him to get medical attention, and the wellbeing of a bunch of Iraqi Sunday drivers wasn't the first thing on their mind, I mean the driver sounds a bit pissed himself, plus you can hear that he's constantly hooting

D-gin
01-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Honestly! Why are some americans acting like this? honestly now? No wonder some iraqis are pissed! :roll:

All you need to do is read the response comments on that page to answer your question.

hey:
they'll never understand that convoys can't stop because it puts soliders life's and iraqi civilians life's at danger because terrorist's don't care how many of there own people they kill as long as americans die

Is you stop in traffic your just a sitting duck, And it's not like they're bashing into people with total disregard.....Those where just little love taps.

Ronguild
01-27-2007, 07:36 AM
No problem to me.
I kive in the south of France, we are used to this.:)
no, i'm jocking.
We don't know the circumstances, this HUMVEE can be an ambulance.

Cedan
01-27-2007, 07:47 AM
looks like fun, I want to drive like that some day

Resurrection
01-27-2007, 08:02 AM
Description:

"This is a really cool video of a Humvee driving through Iraqi traffic. In order to avoid terrorist attacks they cant stop or slow down, even if that requires some improvised driving."

Martino
01-27-2007, 08:34 AM
That is some realy skillfull driving.
Has control of the gas. Doesnt push the trunk through the back seat. Even with the bus he went to the side without thinking and nudged him just enough to get by. I would realy like to know if the Army includes this in humvee training.

Big Lebowski
01-27-2007, 08:36 AM
yup, thats how convoy security works.

heres an example with a danish convoy in Iraq - thx to Gilbert for the video

http://www.youtube.com/v/QVBNk4_U0cc

jsb
01-27-2007, 08:37 AM
I,m a x un soldier from bosnia 93 94 .This is the savest way to travel for your platoon and the by standers.
If you stop your an easy target and when you drive a LESS easy target.
And yes the dutch where driving targets for the joegos.
First car clears the road second car checks safety then the trucks push on ,no stopping allowed.
Last car gives the road clear

sct1886
01-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Watch the National Geographic special on contractors and it will be quite apparent. As stated above, if you stop or slow you are an easy target. Those whom do not get out of the way of military vehicles or convoys are idiots or trying to get someone killed. They know the situation by now. No sympathy whatsoever from me.

Xaito
01-27-2007, 08:50 AM

Like some said already - they dont do it because its fun or just because they can but because of security reasons.
e.g. I know of a case in Russia where a vip in an armored limousine was assassinated while the car stopped at a traffic light and a biker put a suitcase with a bomb on the roof where the car was less armored - and now think about being a foreign soldier in Iraq and how many people want to see you dead.
Then think about how many RPGs and explosives these people have.

The driver in this vid was really great - he stayed cool and did no damage to the cars - he really can drive :D

Finlander
01-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Well I understand that they make an easy target if they stop, but why drive in heavy traffic at all? use a chopper? I would be pissed if an occupational humvee would bump into me like that, regardless of the cause! maybe that's just me!
But they probably had a reason driving like they did...

Argyll
01-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Back in 2004, we drove very aggresively ,a lot more aggresive than this video.

snoddy
01-27-2007, 10:23 AM
now thats some funny shiznit.... you only play bumper cars like that around baghdad, in Ramadi we shoot the cars, lol.... for fear of vbieds and svbieds... but bumper cars is frickin wicked funny....

vinny_121_ND
01-27-2007, 10:28 AM
as a driver, I would try and avoid congested areas as much as possible (I'm not a contractor). I would seriously have reservations driving in those types of situations. If anyone has the national geographic video of contractors, they should upload to it to google video.

Sloppy Joe2
01-27-2007, 10:35 AM
the iraqis here no the drill, if they dont get out of the way they get bumped or warning shots. that is usually enough.
when you know you are in a hot-spot and your the target while stuck in traffic we will see what most people would do in that situation.

panzrman
01-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Thats actually some pretty mild driving. I saw quite a few opportunities to go upstream that I would have taken. Getting stopped or stuck in traffic with no maneuver space is a no go.

khukuri
01-27-2007, 10:59 AM
he is clearly using the horn. Some of the drivers just didnt get it...

Digital Marine
01-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Pretty intense to see this actually. Good job of the Soldiers though.

[srod]`
01-27-2007, 11:24 AM
I saw the video on break yesterday.I had a feeling someone was going to post it,lol.

sct1886
01-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Well I understand that they make an easy target if they stop, but why drive in heavy traffic at all? use a chopper? I would be pissed if an occupational humvee would bump into me like that, regardless of the cause! maybe that's just me!
But they probably had a reason driving like they did...

Not getting stuck in heavy traffic or always using a chopper is very unrealistic... Life is all about perspective, walk a while in the other guys shoes. Sure I get really pissed when some idiot hits my car. I really get pissed when someone is shooting at me. Having someones brains sprayed all over you will change your mindset very quickly. If you drive in East St. Louis running a red light is common to avoid crimminals. I cannot imagine having some jerk shooting RPGs at you.

KillerBD
01-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Is there a reason why the driver is driving like this.

Or did the guy who is driving find his license in a Craker Jack box?

Area Denial
01-27-2007, 01:44 PM
For those of you who were never there, its easy to run off at the mouth and second guess what the soldiers do there. Until you've sat in full battle rattle in the back of a humvee dodging shots and trying to get through a congested urban area where at anytime your vehicle could get hit with an IED or PRG or see your turret man fall back down inside the humvee with a bullet wound to his neck I suggest shutting your damn mouth.
I have a kid who was a turret gunner in my unit who will probably never get full use of his hand back after an IED and two other kids in my section survived three IED attacks by doing what you see in the video. If some Iraqi is offended, screw them. If they don't like the way we're doing things they should do something to rid their country of the insurgents that are running about in it.
I know its easy for some of you to point at what my military is doing in Iraq and say its all wrong. You've not earned the right to say anything until you've been there. Just exit stage left and go back to the airsoft section or drool over crappy Soviet wheeled vehicles.

Xaito
01-27-2007, 01:58 PM
If some Iraqi is offended, screw them. If they don't like the way we're doing things they should do something to rid their country of the insurgents that are running about in it.
I know its easy for some of you to point at what my military is doing in Iraq and say its all wrong. You've not earned the right to say anything until you've been there. Just exit stage left and go back to the airsoft section or drool over crappy Soviet wheeled vehicles.
I agree with most of your post about the need to drive like seen in the vid but not with the quoted part.
civilian Iraqi people also die because of Insurgents - not only "your" US soldiers - blaming them for a problem the coallition forces caused is wrong and demanding that they should do something about it is like blaming civilians for crime - politicians, the police and soldiers have to do something about it not the normal people.

DIU
01-27-2007, 02:29 PM
All I can say after seeing the video (by the way, the Russian-speaking people can find it in http://eddy.ant-design.ru/public_html/article.php?story=20070126113737184 (http://eddy.ant-design.ru/public_html/article.php?story=20070126113737184) , with visitors’ comments) is that mine-laying in Iraq will not stop until the last occupant leaves the country.

Roanoke
01-27-2007, 02:38 PM
The sheer amount of ignorance exhibited by the people against this video is astounding.

snoddy
01-27-2007, 02:50 PM
guys, its easy to debate over this, but look at it this way...
your living day in and day out with the locals you see them everyday when youre out on patrols or sitting on an OP, you drive the same streets everyday, locals know that when they see you coming they pull off the side of the road, people driving through the area not from here dont know but soon find out after a flare in the air or a few warning shots to pull over. people in america pull over all the time for a police car with blues on or a fire truck/ambulance, its common sense around here.

when youre trying to help rebuild a village, get water in, fuel for the gas station, fix the generators for electric power for afew villages, help out with schools, its great for you that dont know this yeah this is what we do over there, now the flip side is this, when insurgents come in a frick it up, the villagers know we will tear up the area where it happens, when an ied goes off at night and kills or wounds your friends or a rpg attack, PID (in some areas) is anyone on a roof or running away or buildings where the fire came from, after the shooting is over, anyone and everyone is detained and brought in, if we find anyone after the shooting that is.

its upto the villagers to keep the insurgents out of their village away from their houses, that is if they want what were trying to give them, just help us find the bad guys, their weapon caches, the guys emplacing the ieds cause if they dont then yeah theyre no better then the guys killing us or hurting us. our blood is on their hands...

you have an suv taxi coming towards you, you have guys on the ground searching people and cars, youre the gunner, 300meters away you see the suv, you wave your rifle in the air, hes still coming, you wave it a few times, hes still coming, 200 meters now, you fire a slap flare or 203 flare in the air hes still coming, 100 meters now, so you fire afew rounds hes still coming so you shoot the suv. see out in the desert you canm do this in urban streets you cant, so yeah bumping a car to get out of the way after being in the city for a few years, yeah its common sense just pull off to the side of the road....

i have no idear what i just said.....:cantbeli:

Michael_He
01-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I´m driving in one of the largest amateur races in germany or maybe europe.
VLN if somebody recongizes it.
Those tiny bumps where just a little knock on the bumper
In the races we´re not allowed to to it but sometimes it happens.
Even if it would be harder nothing much would happen. Maybe a little scratch on the bumper.

So in my opinion it´s just a little knocking to say that they mean it serious and want to pass. No big deal.
Absolutly no problem. After all it´s still a war zone.

He219
01-27-2007, 03:08 PM
.. until the last occupant leaves the country.
Hmm, that means everybody.

playtym
01-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Hmm, that means everybody.

And will the last one to leave please remember to turn off the lights!

snoddy
01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
And will the last one to leave please remember to turn off the lights!
sure why not, theyre our lights...

beNder
01-27-2007, 03:14 PM
All I can say after seeing the video (by the way, the Russian-speaking people can find it in http://eddy.ant-design.ru/public_html/article.php?story=20070126113737184 (http://eddy.ant-design.ru/public_html/article.php?story=20070126113737184) , with visitors’ comments) is that mine-laying in Iraq will not stop until the last occupant leaves the country.

russia strong!!!one!!!

rrin
01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Saw this yesterday and thought "damn I wish I could drive like that during rush hour". Didn't post it because I knew tools would come out of the woodwork with uninformed ***** like "now I know why the Iraqis hate us".

angry cow
01-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Alot of people here also seem so very "informed" about what does and doesn't offend an Iraqi, or even an Arab. Lots of things are different, many times strength is respected, but its rude to give a firm handshake. Bumping a car is not a big deal, somebody getting killed by incoming or outgoing fire is a big deal.

DIU
01-27-2007, 04:37 PM
russia strong!!!one!!!
Happily, Russia bears no relation to the matter. The remark was a simple statement of fact and a kind of logical conclusion. Do you really disagree?

By the way, Russia is really strong in similar situations. Instead of crappy Hummers and too expensive quickly-wearing Strikers the Russian interior troops use BTR-80 (i.e. the normal APC of cheap version) for patrolling and guarding convoys in dangerous regions. It is as reliable as Hummer and as mine-resistant as Striker. And its cost for the Russian ministry of interior is only 260.000 US$ in 2007.

DIU
01-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Bumping a car is not a big deal, somebody getting killed by incoming or outgoing fire is a big deal.
I guess bumping by 5-t armored Humvee can be harmful enough for the usual passenger car.

aedmon640
01-27-2007, 05:13 PM
I guess bumping by 5-t armored Humvee can be harmful enough for the usual passenger car.

he taps them with about a 2-3 mph difference. It wouldn't matter if he did it with a hummer or a prius

Refueler
01-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Nice video. Reminds me of my visit to Rome some years ago.
woot

drinking das boot
01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
rubbin is racin

sct1886
01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Is there a reason why the driver is driving like this.

Or did the guy who is driving find his license in a Craker Jack box?

Are you really that STUPID???

name already taken
01-27-2007, 07:25 PM
This driving reminds me of bicycle racing where a racer must ride through the pack to get a chance to ever make it, and where he must not lose any of his speed, otherwise there's no possible manoeuvre left for him.

It's all in traffic reading. Isn't it coool enough ?

Congrats to this boy !

ForzaItalia
01-27-2007, 09:18 PM
If they don't like the way we're doing things they should do something to rid their country of the insurgents that are running about in it.
And this why the vast majority of Iraqis don't want Americans there. Do not forget, the American troops are occupiers that are "guests" of the barely functional government. The United States does not have an inherent right to be there.

DocEbola
01-27-2007, 09:21 PM
This is a normal way for us to drive,usually they pull over for us.

DocEbola
01-27-2007, 09:24 PM
For those of you who were never there, its easy to run off at the mouth and second guess what the soldiers do there. Until you've sat in full battle rattle in the back of a humvee dodging shots and trying to get through a congested urban area where at anytime your vehicle could get hit with an IED or PRG or see your turret man fall back down inside the humvee with a bullet wound to his neck I suggest shutting your damn mouth.
I have a kid who was a turret gunner in my unit who will probably never get full use of his hand back after an IED and two other kids in my section survived three IED attacks by doing what you see in the video. If some Iraqi is offended, screw them. If they don't like the way we're doing things they should do something to rid their country of the insurgents that are running about in it.
Very well put.

mattnwnc03
01-27-2007, 10:07 PM
could have been trying to get to the scene of an ambush or somthing lol. have you ever watched a police veheicle here in the states go thru traffic. about the same way lol.

DanteXavier
01-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Watching that video gave me this really strong grand theft auto type of vibe. It just looked so much likethe game, I was actually waiting for him to just run full force into one of the cars.

I gotta go play that nowp-)

ABNINF
01-27-2007, 11:30 PM
As Argyll said, that's actually fairly tame. That's about like we drove in A-Stan, just agressive enough to get through traffic

beNder
01-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Happily, Russia bears no relation to the matter. The remark was a simple statement of fact and a kind of logical conclusion. Do you really disagree?

By the way, Russia is really strong in similar situations. Instead of crappy Hummers and too expensive quickly-wearing Strikers the Russian interior troops use BTR-80 (i.e. the normal APC of cheap version) for patrolling and guarding convoys in dangerous regions. It is as reliable as Hummer and as mine-resistant as Striker. And its cost for the Russian ministry of interior is only 260.000 US$ in 2007.

Yeah the btr series is awesome, that is why you see the guys riding on top of it, its a death trap. btw, are you another imi-grant from the great cccp living here in the USA? :lol:

Stalhandske
01-28-2007, 02:08 AM
Thats how I wanna be driving here in China, except I want to mount a big plough in the front..

Seraphim
01-28-2007, 04:03 AM
Can we temporarily ban retards instead of a violation?

Just finish watching the video...from the comments on here I was expecting chaos. You little *****es need to get a pair.

Sloppy Joe2
01-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Watching that video gave me this really strong grand theft auto type of vibe. It just looked so much likethe game, I was actually waiting for him to just run full force into one of the cars.

I gotta go play that nowp-)
okay! glad you are having fun with this video!
doing this **** is no ****ing game and you all need to realize what we are doing for this country and the new government. all you pukes only here about body counts, and when civilians are ACCIDENTLY killed.
you need to understand what we are doing for their country, government and the people themselves.

everytime there is a problem in a neighborhood with the AIF, we take care of the people there. everytime something happenes to a public structure for the people we repair or replace what was broken or they neglected. do not ****ing tell me for a second you know what the iraqis are thinking about us just because you read a ****ing report by a foreign journalist or watched one ****ing interview with an iraqi saying we are bad. i see the smiles from the iraqis, i get the ****ing thank you's!
so once you know the real iraqi environment and the real attitude of the people, then comment. otherwise shut the **** up!

Finlander
01-28-2007, 06:30 AM
okay! glad you are having fun with this video!
doing this **** is no ****ing game and you all need to realize what we are doing for this country and the new government. all you pukes only here about body counts, and when civilians are ACCIDENTLY killed.
you need to understand what we are doing for their country, government and the people themselves.

everytime there is a problem in a neighborhood with the AIF, we take care of the people there. everytime something happenes to a public structure for the people we repair or replace what was broken or they neglected. do not ****ing tell me for a second you know what the iraqis are thinking about us just because you read a ****ing report by a foreign journalist or watched one ****ing interview with an iraqi saying we are bad. i see the smiles from the iraqis, i get the ****ing thank you's!
so once you know the real iraqi environment and the real attitude of the people, then comment. otherwise shut the **** up!

calm down, we all know you would laugh your ass off, smile and be happy if an occupational force would bump you off the road each morning on yer way to work! like everybody would!

ABNINF
01-28-2007, 09:56 AM
calm down, we all know you would laugh your ass off, smile and be happy if an occupational force would bump you off the road each morning on yer way to work! like everybody would!

The fact of the matter is, we have been there for a while now, and the LN's know the drill, like Audie said earlier. Honestly, they're probably happy as hell that they didn't catch a round in the radiator or a have their tire shot out by a shotgun. What's going on in here is a bunch of I-net warriors judging the actions of people that are put in high stress positions and circumstances everyday. People that have never had to sit stuck in a completely clogged traffic circle, praying that the Toyota Corolla trying to push through traffic near you isn't a VBIED, or that one of the kids selling phonecards is going to throw a hand grenade up in the turret when you're not looking. I guess what I'm trying to say is, in a short and tactful way, that if you've never been in their position.....Shut the ***** up

snoddy
01-28-2007, 10:34 AM
it is funny for guys who have been there to see a video like this, its kinda that dark humor thing, but guys you have to remember, this is all they get, either watching the news or reading it in the paper or reading forums like this from peeps who have been there, then they make their own opinons about it.

Fargin
01-28-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't see anything offensive about this kind of defensive driving. But I think it's a symptom of the state of Iraq. GIs protecting themselves and their own and everyone else is a bystander or an enemy. Life goes even in Bagdad.

mutammim
01-28-2007, 11:10 AM
yup, thats how convoy security works.

heres an example with a danish convoy in Iraq - thx to Gilbert for the video

http://www.youtube.com/v/QVBNk4_U0cc

What is the title and singer of the song in the video? Heard it before in a fan made Gears of War video.

Irish Eyes
01-28-2007, 09:18 PM
What is the title and singer of the song in the video? Heard it before in a fan made Gears of War video.

Michael Andrews "Mad World"
:)

LEGEND
01-29-2007, 10:17 PM
they are not doing anything wrong, after all he keeps his hand on the honk THE ENTIRE TIME!! If you don't want to give way to a honking armored hummer that is asking you to move away you deserve to get bumped.

Aztec Eagle 201st
01-30-2007, 02:59 AM
My personal opinion is that in this video, first ..we dont know what the level of danger of this street posses for the Army hummve ,second i think that the soldier driving hes is just using defensive driving techniques if you see none of the bump cars are damage and second the quickly moved out of the road.

I have seen some other videos of the Americans doing a lot off stupid **** but i dont think that this video shows that.

Now if you whant to see some crazy defensive driving on regular streets watch this videos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO8MsN1oSkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqibvh96Og This last one of Saigon is a handfull!

playtym
01-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Now if you whant to see some crazy defensive driving on regular streets watch this videos..

And the scary thing is that this Indian driving clip isn't even that crazy.

If there are any other members here who've driven in Mozambique they'll be able to back me up when I say that those trucks and buses would be coming down the road towards you three abreast - a truck being overtaken by a bus while he overtakes a slower truck!

Their only traffic law seems to be that smaller vehicles must give way.

LEGEND
01-30-2007, 04:56 PM
My personal opinion is that in this video, first ..we dont know what the level of danger of this street posses for the Army hummve ,second i think that the soldier driving hes is just using defensive driving techniques if you see none of the bump cars are damage and second the quickly moved out of the road.

I have seen some other videos of the Americans doing a lot off stupid **** but i dont think that this video shows that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqibvh96Og This last one of Saigon is a handfull!

OH so that explains the cab operators driving abilities in NYC rofl!!! Thats where most of them learned how to drive!
I was watching this video and thinking to myself... this looks familiar!

Covert_US
01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
That's how you drive when people are trying to blow you up....

snoddy
01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
someone should make it more realistic, speed up the video abit, add some gun shots and xplosions.... yeah thats iraq for ya.....

RomanS
01-30-2007, 09:27 PM

Honestly,
They are not Cops, THEY ARE MILITARY
last time i checked, you see a military vehicle hauling asss, what do you do kids?????

RomanS
01-30-2007, 09:32 PM

Dude

I know im talking to a suspended person, but come on now.

I've seen photos of vehicles in Chechnya that didnt stop for Russian soldiers in Grozny.

And if you read all of the comments half of them are saying

"Thats right, thats how you drive in a military vehicle. Good speed."
"Our guys did some crazier things in Afghan"
etc

LEGEND
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Dude

I know im talking to a suspended person, but come on now.

I've seen photos of vehicles in Chechnya that didnt stop for Russian soldiers in Grozny.

And if you read all of the comments half of them are saying

"Thats right, thats how you drive in a military vehicle. Good speed."
"Our guys did some crazier things in Afghan"
etc

I actually thought the same thing, half of the comments are pro half against.

The ones that have at least a little bit of thought put into them are pro.

sct1886
01-30-2007, 10:20 PM

I would love to see your reaction driving thru heavy traffic with some idiot in the way and someone shooting at you. I am sure you would react in a cool, calm, collected manner and drive with the uttmost courtesy, NOT!! Wake Up, Get a life and some cajones...

snoddy
01-30-2007, 10:24 PM
when we die from suicide car bombs, roadside bombs or snipers
patroling the streets by honking our horn for civis to get out of the way, and hittin their bumper to help them get out of the way, being there and doing it personally, i dont think what you see in this video is at all bad.