PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Tor-M1 video

xav
02-09-2007, 12:32 AM
The missile seems very agile and capable of downing Tomahawk type cruise missiles.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/135t50

Mr. Nielsen
02-09-2007, 02:58 AM
The missile seems very agile and capable of downing Tomahawk type cruise missiles.

Using the missile to shoot down tomahawks may not be very cost effective for Iran though. The US will have plenty of Tomahawks.

Brute
02-09-2007, 03:09 AM
Using the missile to shoot down tomahawks may not be very cost effective for Iran though. The US will have plenty of Tomahawks.

Each Tor can handle up to 8 Tomahawks, 2 at a time, before needing to reload. The missile it shoots is a lot less expensive than the Tomahawk.

Holycrusader
02-09-2007, 03:24 AM

TorM1 was creating to hunt Tomahawks and simmilar missles. Its a very good target for this rocket...

koko
02-09-2007, 04:01 AM

Youtube version
http://www.youtube.com/v/rLfmNOOBYLE

Archer75
02-09-2007, 06:54 AM
what is the range of a tomahawk ?
from where would it be launched ? persian gulf ?

Raphael Cortez
02-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Nice stuff. Thanx for posting.

Holycrusader
02-09-2007, 07:31 AM
what is the range of a tomahawk ?
from where would it be launched ? persian gulf ?

Wikipedia? Google? Why you are so lazy?

desantnik85
02-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Yes Tor1-M1 can destroy current generation cruise missiles.

No the number bought by Iran cannot save Iran from US invasion, although they can stop say, a nuclear installation from being hit... assuming a totally theoretical scenario here ;-)

Raphael Cortez
02-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Dumb question!

Are these missiles russian?

Dark Avenger
02-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Yes, they are ;).
And Greece is using them too.

Raphael Cortez
02-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Yes, they are ;).

Thanks for the info, Avenger!
Have a nice day!

sig551
02-09-2007, 08:53 AM
I was wondering if the Iranians can intercept the new "Storm Shadow" from the European ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/15/Stormshadowcrop.JPG/250px-Stormshadowcrop.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_Shadow

desantnik85
02-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I think that depends more on the radar footprint of the missile.

Like most modern air defence systems, it has little technical diffiulty in hitting what is basically a slow moving target that doesn't have the capability to react in the same way as a manned aircraft would to being attacked.

If the missile had a reduced radar cross section (ie stealth) or onboard counter-measures, it can reduce attrition from air defence systems.

Most cruise missiles rely on low level flying and carefully planned flight paths to avoid AA defences, or they are basically toast, particularly when fired upon by a sophisticated missile system like TOR-M1, which has a high hit probability of *detectable* targets. Don't get detected, don't get splashed...

flanker7
02-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Yes, they are ;).

AFAIK iranian Tor-M1s are the option which Greece did not make into an order after European and US companies very scilfully manage to create the so called "Tor fiasco" in Greece

desantnik85
02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
You mean "Russian Tor-M1's" ;-)

Russia makes them!

Dark Avenger
02-09-2007, 12:22 PM
AFAIK iranian Tor-M1s are the option which Greece did not make into an order after European and US companies very scilfully manage to create the so called "Tor fiasco" in Greece
I don't recall having an extra option on so many (29) systems, and anyway, the problem was with mismanagement of the offsets deal and not the system itself.

Moledet
02-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I think that depends more on the radar footprint of the missile.

Like most modern air defence systems, it has little technical diffiulty in hitting what is basically a slow moving target that doesn't have the capability to react in the same way as a manned aircraft would to being attacked.

If the missile had a reduced radar cross section (ie stealth) or onboard counter-measures, it can reduce attrition from air defence systems.

Most cruise missiles rely on low level flying and carefully planned flight paths to avoid AA defences, or they are basically toast, particularly when fired upon by a sophisticated missile system like TOR-M1, which has a high hit probability of *detectable* targets. Don't get detected, don't get splashed...
Unless you shoot two missiles from two different directions (for example: one from south and one from east) and then it won't be able to launch two missiles to two directions and get smacked.

flanker7
02-09-2007, 12:28 PM
I thought that the option was for the same number as the initial order, 21(?).

That's why I wrote "Tor fiasco". All the "experts" having a go at it through the TV windows making it seem that HA and HAF had any problem with the system and it's abilities when in fact Tor-M1 is perhaps the best SHORADS around

ya2
02-09-2007, 12:38 PM
2 missile at once? no problem send 2 drones and a tomhawk .

Raphael Cortez
02-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Another dumb question!

They use UAV to aim the targets? I thought they used satellite images.
So, what we see in that videos are from UAV's ?

Thanx you.

flanker7
02-09-2007, 01:01 PM
I think he ment senting 2 UAVs as decoys so that the real missile gets through.... :-)

ya2
02-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Another dumb question!

They use UAV to aim the targets? I thought they used satellite images.
So, what we see in that videos are from UAV's ?

Thanx you.

and welcome to the military..

Djuice
02-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Even if you send 2 UAV as decoy's onces their gone, it would still have enough time to engage the CM.

flanker7
02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Tor-M1 can hit 2 targets using 2 missiles as long as the targets are in a 15x15 degrees window. Considering it's great effectiveness against guides munitions this cartacteristic comes very handy when the system is attacked by HARM or Maverick type weapons or guided bombs

Edit: instead of "hit" better say "engage" because theres always the chanse of missing.....

Deminer from Sarajevo
02-09-2007, 01:51 PM
As I know old BGM/UGM 109 Tomahawk used TERCOM systems in guided add by DSMAC correlator and from mod Block 2 they got Infared guided also.But from model Block3(I am not sure now) system TERCOM(satilite guided) shifted by GPS
Iran have one division of TOR but US navy and US airforse would be used about a few thousand crusaided rocket,not only BGM/UGM 109 but AGM 86 and AGM 129 was made for Air Force.
Systems Tor of course very good but they have distance of fire about 10-15 kilometars and they will be use only for protect two-three imortant centers

stayr
02-09-2007, 02:03 PM
They need a combination of ToR and C-300 for building effective AA defense/ Single ToRs cant stop a massive missle attack

ToR was designed for mobile groups of units defense on battlefield

srry 4 my english :)

Dark Avenger
02-09-2007, 02:05 PM
They need a combination of ToR and C-300 for building effective AA defense/ Single ToRs cant stop a massive missle attack

srry 4 my english :)
Basically the ideal multi-layered air defense network would consist of guns, Igla/Strelets, Tor M-1, Buk M-1-2 and S-300/400 SAM systems.
The Buk would cover the gap between the Tor and S-300.