PDA

View Full Version : Exo suits are here!

BugHunt
11-23-2007, 04:14 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=109_1195663753

Holly **** kit out that thing with the newer nano tech materials and you really have Starship Troopers...and a breakthrough in landwarfare. Heavy soldiers FTW!

Have to get rid of the safety line though ;) And im wondering if it can do more then a 100kg pulldown....

Nice to see the bear suit models at the end lol....p-)

Seraphim
11-23-2007, 04:21 AM
Judgment Day...

BugHunt
11-23-2007, 04:23 AM
Though technically speaking Arnie had the manbits on the outside - that sounds like it would be the opposite ;)

Like too see it moving a Olympic bar and having to actually shuffle those ammo cans around......also going ****e etc. But strewth were further ahead then you'd think....

AlphaOneSix
11-23-2007, 04:27 AM
And im wondering if it can do more then a 100kg pulldown....

Well, it's going to be limited to pulling down less than the total weight of the suit plus the operator, or else he'll just do a pull-up. ;)

But it's great to see how this technology is evolving. Honestly, I see this having more use (at least initially) for cargo handlers rather than in combat. Just like the cargo handlers from Aliens!

BugHunt
11-23-2007, 04:29 AM
But it's great to see how this technology is evolving. Honestly, I see this having more use (at least initially) for cargo handlers rather than in combat. Just like the cargo handlers from Aliens!

Absolutely - any combat suit would be the pinnacle - end point of the technology.....

But blimey were not far off....the ground troops have a massive problems with carrying there loads particularly armour. That sounds like it could eventually be a viable solution. Radios, GPS, cameras, armour, crew served weapon and ammo.

All you'd need is enough AAA+ batteries ;)

Hehehe there could be a whole new dimension to Robot Wars in the future..p-)

Trenchcoat
11-23-2007, 04:33 AM
Honestly, I see this having more use (at least initially) for cargo handlers rather than in combat. Just like the cargo handlers from Aliens!
I think your right on that he seemed a bit awkward when he was running, but with more R&D I think this will become a very formidable combat weapon.
Mecha FTW!

bluffcove
11-23-2007, 04:37 AM
Impressive but cant see it being sustainable in the field by any stretch.

BugHunt
11-23-2007, 04:53 AM
Id say any place u can sustain a APC that thing would also be good...

Of course it might well be a barrier in a counterinsurgency.....hard to get a foreign populace to empathise wearing one of those things ;)

And youll most likely get a "Rummy MkII" attempt to bite off more then he can chew due to "all our L337 new technology".....

Potentially a decade or so down the line it might have limited air mobility, a active defense system and cloaking......

BlitzCod
11-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Same thing, but larger? Timberwolf or Mad Dog would be my choice.

I think that inf.soldier isnt far from using powersuits. Like in Iraq, (with aircondition) snipers could not hurt US soldiers and surviving from IED:s would be greater. And 50.BMG for everyone! Could it stand to fire an 50cal on foot or would it kick soldier on his ass? Thinking about the fysics, like gatling in Predator, could not be used because it will drop the guy with its recoil. Damn, soldiers that could not be harmed with normal weapons of insurgents.. Or many other nations armys even. That would end in nukes.

Nephilim
11-23-2007, 05:46 AM
hmm seems like a predator-movie-gatling-gun-shooter could be quite possible now..
if that thing can lower some spades :D

rosscoliosis
11-23-2007, 06:36 AM
Elemental power armor ftw! ;)

http://www.solaris7.com/images/TRO/BattleArmor/Elemental_LTdotjpg

wildgunner
11-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Imagine the payload of the exoskeleton:
1 machinegun with 1000 or 2000 amunitions.
1 grenade launcher with 50 rounds.

.....with no more pain or even less then the current one for a standard troopers.

And what about jet engine .....

jonosk
11-23-2007, 07:27 AM
I say let him have a M61 vulcan minigun and u have a hitter :)

Kippari
11-23-2007, 07:35 AM
Wow, that exo's ability to perform dance moves is gonna revolutionize long dance partys!p-)

Seriously though, quite cool what tech can do these days.

Lt.Havoc
11-23-2007, 09:03 AM
That one modle they showed in the Exhibition room later in the vid, reminded me on this guy: http://www.mikeantonucci.com/uploaded_images/robocop-792844.bmp

bluffcove
11-23-2007, 09:29 AM
blitzcod - please tell me English isnt your first language!

The parts chain for an APC is huge and it carries 12 blokes, imagine if you needed 12 of those suits! the logistical supply would be huge. If a wheel on an apc gets hit it has inbuilt redundancy in the fact it can use the other 7.

When an APC gets hit you get spall (if anything) when a collection of steel rods and gimballed joints with pressurised hydraulics get hit you have shrapnel.

its not practical - The amount of time spent cleaning sand out of rifles with about very few moving parts should prove that having robot out there is just asking for trouble. do you want to have to clean your robot at the end of each day, after your rifle and beforey ou change your socks eat or sleep?

it might be handy for REME or RE or RLC but an infantry unit would hate them. There is a reason why rifles the term "squaddie proof" exists!

Lt.Havoc
11-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Well, you have to clean Tanks and APCs too, dont see a diffrence incleaning a Exosuit in that. I also image that they would create speical Power Armor Platoons and whatnot with all the support gear and stuff, just like Tank untis.

Speical Power Armor carriers and mobile Repair unis would be also created etc., etc. I aslo dont think that you will have problems with dust wehn you have a air tight sealed Power Armor (build in APC protection, ya know?). But I guess it first need to be tested and everything. All new stuff that appears has problems, but that dosent mean its not useful.

Tanks, Helicopters and all that had problems too in the beginning, but look today.....still there, still doing the job, even better.

Cartero
11-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Well, it's going to be limited to pulling down less than the total weight of the suit plus the operator, or else he'll just do a pull-up. ;)

Cargo Handlers

I was amazed when I saw that "Komatsu" walking machine:

http://upload4.postimage.org/1924051_5af7225ccf6430e56d20bebb69dccae1/ripleyvsaliendotjpg

Did you know that there was a toy?

http://www.heldenshop.de/images/tobias1/2121gfhf7gh7gfhgfhgfhgfhphhphpdotjpg

and you can see a similar combat walking machine in "Matrix Revolutions" (2003):

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/m/images/matrix-3-poster-0dotjpg

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/m/images/matrix-3-7dotjpg

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/m/images/matrix-3-10dotjpg

saludos

Cartero

BugHunt
11-23-2007, 09:50 AM

The parts chain for an APC is huge and it carries 12 blokes, imagine if you needed 12 of those suits! the logistical supply would be huge. If a wheel on an apc gets hit it has inbuilt redundancy in the fact it can use the other 7.

When an APC gets hit you get spall (if anything) when a collection of steel rods and gimballed joints with pressurised hydraulics get hit you have shrapnel.

its not practical - The amount of time spent cleaning sand out of rifles with about very few moving parts should prove that having robot out there is just asking for trouble. do you want to have to clean your robot at the end of each day, after your rifle and beforey ou change your socks eat or sleep?

it might be handy for REME or RE or RLC but an infantry unit would hate them. There is a reason why rifles the term "squaddie proof" exists!

Yeah potentially hugely complex as they are - the question is are they worth the hassel?

Seems like potentially they could fill a capablity gap between armour (tanks APCs) and soldiers.....compared to soldiers more mobile, armoured with one assumes large firepower.

Also - more armour probably means LESS casulties - which is always popular with policy makers.

BlitzCod
11-23-2007, 10:00 AM

Im from Finland.
So nope it is not. But I have this thing called "lukihäiriö" that makes all my typing errors forgiven and gone. So like Im thinking something and writing it up, I dont write all the words what Im supposed to write and it doesnt make any sense to anyone else but me. When I read it again.. I cant see anything missing. After a week, I read it.. I see why I got so bad number from my test. :-)

And about cleaning your rifle and your suit. Change AR to AK. Only suit to clean after that.. :)

bluffcove
11-23-2007, 10:10 AM
AKs dont require as much cleaning because they are simpler!
Exo suits are complicated they will require more work than just brushing mud off the outside.

There is not a capability gap between APCs and infantry - APC's prodivde protection on the approach to the enemy then provide fire support whilst small fast and agile people do the dirty on the position.

A walking machine that can walk into the danger area of airbursting ammunition pre H hour, and still be light enough to do pairs fire and manouvre, will be impressive to see.

BugHunt
11-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Exo suits are complicated they will require more work than just brushing mud off the outside.

The point is M4's and M16s are harder to maintain (then Aks) but are still used...

Apaches and other helos are meant to be a bit of a nitemare - but hey still used.

There is not a capability gap between APCs and infantry - APC's prodivde protection on the approach to the enemy then provide fire support whilst small fast and agile people do the dirty on the position.

A walking machine that can walk into the danger area of airbursting ammunition pre H hour, and still be light enough to do pairs fire and manouvre, will be impressive to see.Men on the ground NOW are having extreme problems with weight...potentially it negates a large amount of your enemies small arms.

That impressive walking machine is exactly what could come out of it all...

bluffcove
11-23-2007, 10:28 AM
You are wrappng yourself in shrapnel - the only way Id trust the armour to be thick enough was if it were so thick that I couldnt mover at anything more than walking pace - by which time id rather be without it and able to run off.

BugHunt
11-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Bluff you did read that piece on the new nano carbon materials we brits have developed? ;)

It potentially makes super light super strong armour for the troops now! (ok a few years down the line).

Combined with something like that exosuit - BINGO! Literally a killer application ;)

Now with weight and bulk not being so important u can stick on a whole bunch of stuff - live UAV feeds, optics, blue force tracker, GPS, laser designators etcetc......active defense and cloaking systems at some point lol....

Civil Guard
11-23-2007, 11:33 AM
what ever new stuff displayed to us considering defense force is
not the newest on the market, that frightens me whats really out there :|

"maybe the sky net is not so far away" p-)

muttbutt
11-23-2007, 11:39 AM
These things would be more suited to urban warfare and assaults, I doubt we'd see them roaming vast areas like walking tanks...still immensley cool thoughhttp://www.nuklearpower.com/images/space_marinedotjpg

Blood Angels...coming soon to a warzone near you!

Andreas
11-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Not quite practical yet, but give it 25-30 years and im guessing there will excist a few units like this ready for use in the field.

Cartero
11-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Looks like a red Cylon! jaja

Lt.Havoc
11-23-2007, 11:57 AM

Sure, but your AK wont even scrath such a Power Armor, not even a RPG, expect its something along the lines of a Javlin ATGM or something.

Also, cleaning is easy, after you get out of the firled, you hose the mud and sand down, and thats it. The internals are coverd from dust and sand and you can still make the skeleton easy enough that it can be mantained eaisly. Hydroplymatic stuff is used in any forklift and everyone who can maintain a forklift could mantain a Exo Suit.

Well, but all that is very hypotetical now, we still have to wait at least 10 to 20 years before anything will appear that looks like out of an Sci-Fi movie, until then the whole concept is fleshed out so far and tech so advanced that its not problem to build and maintain them, even in the field.

Bluff you did read that piece on the new nano carbon materials we brits have developed?

It potentially makes super light super strong armour for the troops now! (ok a few years down the line).

Combined with something like that exosuit - BINGO! Literally a killer application

Now with weight and bulk not being so important u can stick on a whole bunch of stuff - live UAV feeds, optics, blue force tracker, GPS, laser designators etcetc......active defense and cloaking systems at some point lol....

Exactly, thats the idea. You have a Starship Trooper or a roboCop in the literlally sense of the word.

You then have a Soldier 100x times more dealdy and armored then your avarged grunt now. Think about it, such exo-suits could create massive shock force. Your Isurgents will piss his pants seeing a 2m walker coming at him while his AK rounds bouch of the armor and the RPG does nothing to stop him at all.

But not only the military, also the police and emergency services will get speical variants of Exo Suits. Image firefighters in fireproof suits that can put out fire and remove debris. You could handle toxic material with ease and even collapsing walls wont be a problem, at least not as long its too much.

Also, think advanced Roit control, no one wants to fight against something that looks like RoboCop!

Evolv5
11-23-2007, 12:09 PM
Pfff, this is just going to make the average soldier lazy :p
No, but I see it's use primarily for cargo handlers or the like.
Your average infantryman would require a more amor based exo skeleton, "muscles" being a secondary quality.

Lt.Havoc
11-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Your average infantryman would require a more amor based exo skeleton, "muscles" being a secondary quality.

Well, thinking about the cost, the Exo Suits would only be given to speical trained and equit untis anyway, so your "avarged GiI Joe" needs to become a super soldier to wear those suits. I dont think regualr infantry will be replaced by Power Armor, its more that these things act as Assault untis and fire support and such things. Also, you Soldier will get regualr training before becoming a "RoboSoldier".

And, well, armor isnt a problem as soon as you have ultra hard and lightwight metal alloys that allow you to build Power Armors with high protection.

Well, as it was said, its purly sci-fi now and will take at least another 20 years from now on, but we might see real power armors one day.

EsoognomEhT
11-23-2007, 12:38 PM
From that video the only people it would be of any use to is the ammo stackers?! Nice..

Dling
11-23-2007, 04:11 PM
http://www3.incrysis.com/images/nano_suitdotjpg
20 years?:)

Lt.Havoc
11-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Heh, Nano suit, its not a power armor in the sense of a Exosuit, but thats something the Pentagon is also wokring on at the time. Also, the Nanosuit in Crysis looks like made by Nike or something.

fox_111
11-23-2007, 04:19 PM
http://www.adeptsys.com/chrysalis/Media/weapons/terminatordotgif
This might be real after all.

Herrmannek
11-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Not quite practical yet, but give it 25-30 years and im guessing there will excist a few units like this ready for use in the field.

10 years max... all steam is now pushed into things like that... Just find civilian use for those...

Norsu
11-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. exoskeleton suits. Hell, even running with that thing looks just like in the game.

Seraphim
11-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Same thing, but larger? Timberwolf or Mad Dog would be my choice.

I think that inf.soldier isnt far from using powersuits. Like in Iraq, (with aircondition) snipers could not hurt US soldiers and surviving from IED:s would be greater. And 50.BMG for everyone! Could it stand to fire an 50cal on foot or would it kick soldier on his ass? Thinking about the fysics, like gatling in Predator, could not be used because it will drop the guy with its recoil. Damn, soldiers that could not be harmed with normal weapons of insurgents.. Or many other nations armys even. That would end in nukes.

A person without some exo suit can fire a 50cal rifle standing.

Lt.Havoc
11-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Yup, its possible, but you need to be rather strong to do that. The recoil is not something for the weak, ok not as bad as those Elephant hunting rifles but its still a lot.

But with a Exo suit, you could fire a Cal.50 gun one handed without rouble, hell, you could even mount a MG in that size on your right/left arm and fire it without problems.

GilbertDK
11-23-2007, 05:03 PM
The question is if everyone can acually hit something when firing a .50 cal standing up.
I once tried aiming a M82A1 .50 rifle while standing.. maybe it was my under-sized biceps, but i was unable to keep the rifle in aiming position for more than a couple of seconds before dropping it again :-p.

I do however think that BlitzCod was thinking of a Browning M2 .50 cal...

remember, the Exo suit does not eliminate recoil or balance...

Trenchcoat
11-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. exoskeleton suits. Hell, even running with that thing looks just like in the game.
Dam those things were cool, got quite hard to kill though.
I have a friend who tried to make one for a cosplay competition he bought a protec helmet, gasmask and a lot of tubing and wires before he gave up.

Seraphim
11-23-2007, 05:14 PM
The question is if everyone can acually hit something when firing a .50 cal standing up.
I once tried aiming a M82A1 .50 rifle while standing.. maybe it was my under-sized biceps, but i was unable to keep the rifle in aiming position for more than a couple of seconds before dropping it again :-p.

I do however think that BlitzCod was thinking of a Browning M2 .50 cal...

remember, the Exo suit does not eliminate recoil or balance...

True but from what I gathered from his post was that the recoil of the 50 will knock someone down.

NavyTimes
11-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Sick video.

That almost looks like it is ready to be used for heavy lifting in any storage facility, both military and civilian.

SomeGeek
11-23-2007, 10:46 PM
It's most likely this will be a squad/platoon leader's kit, and he will be the human-in-the-loop of a bunch of killer robots. Just a guess...

Anthony91
11-23-2007, 10:53 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/f/f1/Halo3MCdotjpg

Until I see this in a physical form, i'll refuse to think exo suits exist.

Bohemoth
11-23-2007, 11:05 PM
Does it come with built-in Aircon and any civilian version planned? :)

vialnz
11-24-2007, 01:14 AM

A friend of mine met him :P

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/2374/lc6487bf554343817f08f2arx5dotjpg

Anthony91
11-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Man PERSEC is a biotch these days...even hanging around with good ol' Johnny will get you killed! p-)

rosscoliosis
11-24-2007, 01:31 AM

The Master Chief's armor is the least innovative or real world capability advancing out of any of the ones listed. Kinda like the Halo games themselves! Ooooh, yes I went there! ;)

bleaches
11-24-2007, 03:50 AM
http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/628/010006qadotjpg

i see this coming 20years down the road
mind you, it has jetpacks woot

BlitzCod
11-24-2007, 07:10 AM
True but from what I gathered from his post was that the recoil of the 50 will knock someone down.

Yeap, I was thinking about M2 or some new design in same caliber. And full auto 50 BMG.. I doubt anyone can fire it without a tripod. Mayby one shot but say 2-5 bursts. M82's I have seen some vids with guys shooting them while standing but automatic fire. I have had my share of HMG's with NSV. And I doubt M2 is not very much different in terms of recoil.

But my point is that with somekind of power armour you could fire accurate bursts with somekind of stabilizer.. But, when I thought it little bit more. 50BMG is way too big, armour should be more like a mech to carry enought ammo to be useful. So rethinking ends with smokelauchers, SAW or MG and/or mayby a some kind of lighter version of Mk19. GMG..

Invisigoth
11-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Battletech is coming. Give it another 30 after that suit and we are gonna genetically tweak ourselves to be the uber warriors. Now all we need is some alien enemies. :)

3rdMillhouse
11-24-2007, 11:11 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=109_1195663753

Holly **** kit out that thing with the newer nano tech materials and you really have Starship Troopers...and a breakthrough in landwarfare. Heavy soldiers FTW!

Have to get rid of the safety line though ;) And im wondering if it can do more then a 100kg pulldown....

Nice to see the bear suit models at the end lol....p-)

Sweet, and freaky, pretty interesting invention, but can it be effective in a battlefield? I think we're gonna have to wait some ten years to see what this turns out to be.

Jaeger07
11-26-2007, 01:43 PM

Hehe, you know if those things will make you 200 times stronger the army will just command you to do 200 times as heavy tasks :)

Soldiers today dont have it any easier than soldiers 50, 150 or even 1000 years ago. The average carrying weight of a soldier has been pretty consistant.

Anyways: awesome clip. IMO the big issue here is where to get the power from. Though that exo-skel would probably be able to carry its own engine or power-plant of some sort. Absolutely reminds me of the marines from starcraft and the likes... Badass.

I agree that the main use would be urban warfare, enginering/loading tasks/salvation tasks and also riot control. Like someone said: it could fill the "heavy/armored infantry role" between light tank and normal infantry.

Im guessing it would take atleast 100 years before we see any operational ones though. You must remeber that robotics have been around since the 1940 and progress have been rather slow...

Alex-L
11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
so many things that could be used for, carriers mainly, supply depots, etc/

MichaelF
11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Wonder what the powerpack will end up being? Turbines?

SilentChaos
11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Awesome, as a HUGE Halo fan this is just sweet.

This would be great to get soldiers into, with some armor around it and a good portable power source this would be a force to reckon with.

Keep developing this stuff, its the futute of combat!

PsychoMantis
11-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Terminator isent an exosuit.

HammockWarrior
11-28-2007, 08:45 AM
I can't see this in a combat role, but I think this could end up being very handy with support/logistics. Like the Powerloader in Aliens.

gonzaleznj
03-10-2008, 03:51 PM
http://www.tacticalwarfightergear.com/tacticalgear/catalog/images/exoskeleton_militarydotJPGhttp://www.tacticalwarfightergear.com/tacticalgear/catalog/images/FFW_2020dotjpg

link with some old videos..
http://www.tacticalwarfightergear.com/tacticalgear/catalog/soldier_exoskeleton.php

MichaelF
03-22-2008, 02:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/vj1SzURv0uM&hl=en

Simulated Power Armor FTX.

Noble713
03-22-2008, 02:33 AM
^ Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.

BloodyTalon
03-22-2008, 02:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/v/vj1SzURv0uM&hl=en

Simulated Power Armor FTX.
:lol: I would love to see the reactions of the insurgents if they saw those things coming at them in Iraq.

MichaelF
03-22-2008, 03:01 AM
Cute & Fuzzy Power Armor would be a plus for civilian LEO crowd control ops.

MichaelF
03-22-2008, 03:05 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/US_Army_powered_armordotjpg

Check the closeup. Bottom sign on the left. Gives you an idea of what they are trying for.

150lbs payload. 2800w auxiliary power.

Light, Medium and Heavy Armor versions. Heavy version will have complete Level IV protection. Medium will have Level IV for the torso, and Level III for the extremities.

Looks like the mockup is of the Medium version.