PDA

View Full Version : World War II-Lockheed Burbank Aircraft Plant Camouflage

Mattsky
11-28-2007, 02:16 AM
During World War II the Army Corps of Engineers needed to hide the Lockheed Burbank Aircraft Plant to protect it from a Japanese air attack. They covered it with camouflage netting and to make it look like a rural subdivision from the air.

The first photo is "Before" the other photos are the "After" shots

kilroy1911
11-28-2007, 04:28 AM
i have seen it before, it is excellent work! there is nice urban legend connected to this camouflage:

Couple of km away there were Warner bros movies studios which looks similar to factory and Jack Warner was so dissapointed by lockheeds camouflahge that he ordered to paint big white arrow pointing to lockheed factory with text: Lockheed that way...

not sure if it is really true...

Martial
11-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Repost but still damn cool.

budgie
11-30-2007, 02:40 AM
I wanna get one of those for my house!

miguelencanarias
11-30-2007, 01:58 PM
i have seen it before, it is excellent work! there is nice urban legend connected to this camouflage:

Couple of km away there were Warner bros movies studios which looks similar to factory and Jack Warner was so dissapointed by lockheeds camouflahge that he ordered to paint big white arrow pointing to lockheed factory with text: Lockheed that way...

not sure if it is really true...No, not really, but it makes an excellent urban legend.

Actually, the Warner studios were disguised... as the Lockheed plant! so the Japanese pilots wouldn't be suspicious. For many years after the war one of the sound stages bore the leftover letters "HEED AIRCRAFT COMPANY," obviously the remnants of a fake Lockheed sign. Source (http://mayorsam.blogspot.com/2007/08/of-disguises-and-legends.html)

Shadowstorm
12-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Yeah, highly impressive.