PDA

View Full Version : Abuse photos hard to explain

fdt
05-22-2004, 07:15 PM
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3434/Falluja.jpg

UkrainianAmerican
05-22-2004, 11:34 PM
So the dude got punched in the face. How is that a war crime?

One?
05-23-2004, 01:52 AM

punched in the face? heh the dude died.

786mine
05-23-2004, 09:43 AM

:( RIP

Sabre
05-23-2004, 11:22 AM
A prisoner was killed by canadian troops and the whole unit was disbanded.

This was an elite airbourne unit, a frontline unit who are trained to fight, with many skills and many members who did not abuse prisoners, nor would consider doing so.

In the case of Abu Ghraib, many members of the 800th Military Police Brigade (EPW) (USAR) systematically abused prisoners and possibly killed at least one. How will the US respond to this? The whole purpose of the reserve unit is to process enemy PoWs. How could their entire training be so flawed that they fail in their only task? Surely there must be something done to investigate the training within the unit, or the selection of people accepted to serve in it?

The army has said that there were no orders given for this abuse to happen. Surely this does not negate the higher command's responsibility? It can only be seen as a failure of those in command that so many members of this unit were not only able but were willing to flaunt the Geneva Convention an behave wholly unprofessionally.

Trident-za
05-23-2004, 05:45 PM
A prisoner was killed by canadian troops and the whole unit was disbanded.

This was an elite airbourne unit, a frontline unit who are trained to fight, with many skills and many members who did not abuse prisoners, nor would consider doing so.

In the case of Abu Ghraib, many members of the 800th Military Police Brigade (EPW) (USAR) systematically abused prisoners and possibly killed at least one. How will the US respond to this? The whole purpose of the reserve unit is to process enemy PoWs. How could their entire training be so flawed that they fail in their only task? Surely there must be something done to investigate the training within the unit, or the selection of people accepted to serve in it?

Good post, Sabre. I was sort of curious about that as well: this unit only had 1 primary task, and they weren't trained for it? Weird...

EvanL
05-23-2004, 05:56 PM
The CAR, was not the type of unit that should have been sent to do peacekeeping. Most of our regular units were tied up in Bosnia at the time and we didnt have many other options.
They are a fighting force, with a rought n tumble attitude, and should never have been used for peacekeeping.

Trident-za
05-23-2004, 06:25 PM
The CAR, was not the type of unit that should have been sent to do peacekeeping. Most of our regular units were tied up in Bosnia at the time and we didnt have many other options.
They are a fighting force, with a rought n tumble attitude, and should never have been used for peacekeeping.

Whats thats saying? If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts looking like a nail? Something like that...

ArmedPacifist
05-23-2004, 06:25 PM

He wasn't bleeding that badly because he got "punched in the face" he was bleeding that badly because of other things that were done to him.

EvanL
05-23-2004, 06:31 PM

He wasn't bleeding that badly because he got "punched in the face" he was bleeding that badly because of other things that were done to him.
torture
The guy in that picture. Clayton Matchee, tried commiting suicide a few years afterwards, and is now mentally retarded from the attempt.
I believe one of the guys involved in the beating was a native, and he has since commited suicide.

ArmedPacifist
05-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Yes, Matchete tried hanging himself with a belt or something similar and he deprive himself of oxygen long enough to cause serious brain damage.

I think Brown is still alive though.

Brozozo
05-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Yes, Matchete tried hanging himself with a belt or something similar and he deprive himself of oxygen long enough to cause serious brain damage.

I think Brown is still alive though.

Yep, Brown is alive and well, but somewhat bitter.

UkrainianAmerican
05-23-2004, 08:35 PM
O my bad.
Anyways, why did he try to commit suicide?