PDA

View Full Version : Soldier receives intraosseous infusion

Ratamacue
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Got shown this in my IV course, and thought some of you might take an interest. Shows a training demonstration of an IO line being placed directly into the patient's sternum.

http://www.youtube.com/v/iEOLm2e6ovc

BadKarma26
01-28-2008, 09:54 PM
muy interesante

U W
01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Very interesting.

muphlon.fru
01-28-2008, 11:38 PM
What is for? Why do you need to inject liquid into a bone, resuscitation after cardiac arrest?

Lt. James Anderson
01-29-2008, 12:23 AM
It's a life-saving measure when all the attempts to do it intravenously fail.

That guy is crazy to let them do that to him. I never let other people, not even once, to give me an IV in training although I've done it to others more than 20 times and I had fun doing it. :)

Ghostryder
01-29-2008, 12:27 AM
An instructor of mine was a Heliborne Medic, told my class stories about how she'd apply two of these at the same time, one with each hand.

BlitzCod
01-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Thx, very intresting to see. But I hope that I will get some more theory before we start to do IV stuff to each other at nursing school. But that thing which they used to put the needle in was wierd? What is it? Havent seen a thing like that.

Creeper
01-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Ah come Lt. Anderson,,take one for the 'Team' !

Perhaps this should be moved over to the med section.

gafkiwi
01-29-2008, 02:06 AM
There is another place you can put the IV line, but its kinda uncomfortable:) but isn't very rapid.
On our Combat Life Savers course you'd use the fake arm the first couple of times and then it was all buddy work, You had to take one for the team or the team wouldn't take one for you and you wouldn't qualify. After guys were confident at it you were allowed to try and hook yourself up. most of the guys did it, pretty awkward and yup a bit of blood was spilt.

nullterm
01-29-2008, 02:44 AM
I hope that man got a promotion.

Royal
01-29-2008, 04:58 AM
That guy is crazy to let them do that to him. I never let other people, not even once, to give me an IV in training although I've done it to others more than 20 times and I had fun doing it. :)

Sucks to be your buddy.

Lt. James Anderson
01-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Nope. :)

As a matter of fact I was really good at it.
I never failed to do it right the first time, never lost a more than a drop of blood so my buddies preferred me to do it for them over somebody else. There were people who preferred to get stuck and didn't like giving IVs to others. We even had one or two hardcore infantry killers (LOL) who passed out when they had to give an IV to somebody ..

Royal
01-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Nope. :)

Yep :)

I'm alright Jack - I'll practice and improve my skills on you, but you can f.off if you want to do the same.

You're not a team player. You'd be on a transfer out of any outfit I was running faster than I could run a line - and that ain't that slow...

retrobob
01-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Interesting.I actually have a catheter('portacath) implanted just to the left of my sternum for monthly IVG and chemotherapy infusions.The catheter was fitted after the veins in my arms and hands became scl*****c and simply wouldn't accept any IV's without considerable pain.The first catheter was fitted almost two years ago and was placed under pectoral muscle.Except for a 3 inch scar I almost didn't know it was there and lead a pretty active life without any problems with it.It was replaced only 7 weeks ago as it had turned itself on an awkward angle because of the buildup of pectoral muscle due to exercise and became difficult to access.

stateofequilibrium
01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
There is another place you can put the IV line, but its kinda uncomfortable:) but isn't very rapid.
On our Combat Life Savers course you'd use the fake arm the first couple of times and then it was all buddy work, You had to take one for the team or the team wouldn't take one for you and you wouldn't qualify. After guys were confident at it you were allowed to try and hook yourself up. most of the guys did it, pretty awkward and yup a bit of blood was spilt.

A resident was trying to find a vein to put in an IV line on an unconcious patient but couldn't find one. The next day, the attending came around and saw it was hooked into the guy's ***** and all that was said was, "Good job."

Lt. James Anderson
01-29-2008, 09:20 AM
You're not a team player. You'd be on a transfer out of any outfit I was running faster than I could run a line - and that ain't that slow...

Well, you would lose a good troop then. ;) I volunteered for every mission and combat patrol in Iraq and Afghanistan (we were always undermanned and I'd like to think that I contributed a lot by doing so), ... But needles just ain't my thing.

gc
01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
i wouldn't do that lightly. Over penetration and i get a myocardial rupture and hemopericardium. The resultant cardiac tamponade may be fatal in the field.

gc
01-29-2008, 11:15 AM
The easiest place to hook yourself up is in the inside of your ankle, its also a good place to find a vein on fat folks.

Yep, the great saphenous vein rite in front of the ankle bump on the inner side is one of the surest veins to get.

wsrs683
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
All of the IO needles I have seen for use in adults have a depth gauge so you can't come out the other side of the sternum. They are used heavily (at least around here) in ped. IV access.

AlphaOneSix
01-29-2008, 11:43 AM
IO is a hell of a lot better than IV. IO is much easier to get started when the **** is going down and you start losing fine motor skills. Also, IO can actually get fluids into your system faster than IV.