PDA

View Full Version : Squad/Platoon organization(or TOE) Request

flanker7
03-01-2008, 02:57 AM
I've searched but nothing came up.
It would be interesting, I think, to see the Squad/Platune structure of each army.
We know the US Army has a 9 man squad, divided into a Squad Leader and 2 fire teams of 4 men(1 FT leader, 1 grenadier, a SAW gunner and a rifleman).
The UK Army has a Squad of 8 in similar form.
Greek Army's 71st Brigade(Airmobile) has a Squad of 6, 1 SL, 1 MGunner with his assistand, 1 grenadier, 1 Designaded Marksman and a rifleman.

Please discuss or post more information if you find the thread interesting.

Dominique
03-01-2008, 06:31 AM
SAWs have been redesignated as "Automatic Rifles" and SAW gunners are now designated as "Automatic Riflemen", don't ask me why.

Cdt.Hawkins
03-01-2008, 06:54 AM
The australian one I think goes like this:
Scout:steyr+m203
scout:steyr
Secco:steyr
2.i.c:steyr+m203
Gunner:minimi
Rifleman:steyr
Rifleman:Steyr
I think thats how it goes but I could be wrong.
I'm sure digrar could fill you in.

KEEPER0311
03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
The Marine Corps rifle squad consist of 13-15 men. Three fireteams, consisting of TeamLeader, Automatic Rifleman, A-gunner, Rifleman. One squad leader, occasionally the 14th and 15th men will be Corpsman and FO.

Lt. James Anderson
03-01-2008, 10:27 PM
SAWs have been redesignated as "Automatic Rifles" and SAW gunners are now designated as "Automatic Riflemen", don't ask me why.

Wasn't it always that way? SAW gunner being unofficial name while AR being official (proper military name). Same with 203 gunner or GR ...

Depending on situation (patrolling, raid, ambush etc.) the US Army "light" infantry squad has a MG team attached. I think mech squads have MG team for the dismounted element as part of 9-men squad.

Steelersfan413
03-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if Marine Recon Battalions have different structures than Marine Infantry Divisions?

MikeSierra151
03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
An interesting difference between USMC and US Army is in Army light infantry platoons the MG's are a platoon element where as the USMC MG's are pulled from a weapons company.

Ezekiel25:17
03-02-2008, 07:54 PM
An interesting difference between USMC and US Army is in Army light infantry platoons the MG's are a platoon element where as the USMC MG's are pulled from a weapons company.

There's one weapons platoon in each rifle company. 60mm mortars, MGs, and SMAWs.

MikeSierra151
03-02-2008, 08:46 PM
There's one weapons platoon in each rifle company. 60mm mortars, MGs, and SMAWs.

Is that in garrison as well?

03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Yes. The Weapons platoon IS part of the rifle company.

MikeSierra151
03-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Strange, I was informed they were attached from weapons company.

03-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Sometimes it will happen.

winchester_down
03-02-2008, 09:14 PM
The australian one I think goes like this:
Scout:steyr+m203
scout:steyr
Secco:steyr
2.i.c:steyr+m203
Rifleman:steyr
I think thats how it goes but I could be wrong.
I'm sure digrar could fill you in.

I'm sure they would love to have ten guys in each section, but I'm pretty sure you'll find an eight man section divided into two bricks(4 men teams) is what the aim is now.

digrar
03-02-2008, 11:01 PM
The next time you see an Australian six or seven man section won't be the first or last time.

KEEPER0311
03-02-2008, 11:19 PM

Each rifle company has it's own weapons platoon. But depending on what the mission requirements are, sections from the Weapons company will be attached.

angry cow
03-03-2008, 02:13 AM
Marine squads have an extra fire team, mainly because of transport capabilities. I think you can fit a lot more dudes in an AMTRAK. Something like 15+, Marines like to pack em' like sardines. Probably doesn't smell much better than sardines after a month either. :)

Where as a Bradley can only hold 6, and a Stryker can hold 9.

Transport capabilities are generally the biggest limiter as to squad size.

That and available replacements, guys go off the line all the time for accidents, DUI's, etc. It takes time to bring new ones in. So while a squad MTOE might state 9 soldiers, a more realistic average might be 7-8.

PS: ORBAT.COM FTW!
http://orbat.com/site/toe/toe/usa/platoontoe.html

KEEPER0311
03-03-2008, 02:52 AM
On top of alot of stuff, the average Marine infantryman walks everywhere! WOO!

Richard W
03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Flanker:

The PLA, Viteminh, Viet Cong, NVA, NKPA and Carlson's Raiders all shared an interesting Rifle Squad TO&E that was inspired by the concept of political loyalty. It worked tactically pretty well too.

Instead of the fire team as the basic sub unit the 3-man "cell" was used. The cell consisted of a politically reliable leader, usually a Party member or an aspiring member. The number 2 was a veteran sometimes a captured enemy solider - (this happened a lot with Mao; a lot of the Chinese PLA we fought in Korea were former Nationalists). The number 3 was a recruit.

At full strength there were 3-cells in a squad. The Squad Leader, especially if he was not a Party Member, was often supplemented by a Deputy.

The members of the cell did everything together both to establish cohesion and to ensure political control. This organization also ensured that recruits were well integrated into the Squad. Tactically the cell structure proved to be very flexible and efficient in battle.

Carlson was an American Communist and Marine Officer who resigned his commission and went to visit Mao and march with Mao's 8th Route Army. (Shoup allegedly said of Carlson that "he may be red but he is not yellow").

Carlson took the PLA organization and incorporated it into the 1st Raider Battalion along with Red ideas such as no rank insignia and lectures on "what we are going to do to help the American worker after the war). This did not go well with the USMC brass but Carlson's XO was President Roosevelt's son James. Eventually the Corps killed the Raider concept.

Regards

Richard W

wiking
03-05-2008, 08:12 PM
looking through my collection of Norwegian military manuals, the TO&E of a Norwegian rifle squad in 1980 was as follows:

Squad leader - AG3 w\100 rounds

Rifleman 1 - AG3 w\100 rounds, 2 M72 LAWs

Rifleman 2 - AG3 w\100 rounds, squad first aid kit

Rifleman 3 - AG3 w\100 rounds, 2 M72 LAWs

Rifleman 4 - AG3 w\100 rounds

Squad 2IC - AG3 w\100 rounds, 200 for the MG3

MG 1 - MG3 w\200 rounds, spare parts and accessories kit

MG 2 - AG3 w\100 rounds, 200 rounds for the MG3, spare barrel for MG3

Rfn 2 and 4 carried 2 hand grenades each only when ordered to do so.

As far as i know it's not changed much these days, though the M72 LAW is not issued any more (i think) and the HK79 40mm UGL is in use now (again, i think.) A mate of mine who served his conscription as squad 2IC was issued an MP5, but i'm not sure if that's standard TO&E for a rifle squad, as he served in the Royal Guard.