PDA

View Full Version : Picture request: SAS group picture in ex-yugoslavia

meatrabbit
03-14-2008, 04:33 AM
Hey, I just saw a picture in a SAS video. Pictured are four or five british SAS soldiers on a white vehicle (probably UN) somewhere in ex-yugoslavia. Their faces are blacked out.

Hopefully one of you has that pic. It's pretty unknown - the first time I've ever seen it.

Thanks in advance

meatrabbit

Nephilim
03-14-2008, 04:56 AM
http://www.eliteukforces.info/images/sas/sas-bosniadotjpg

this one?

meatrabbit
03-14-2008, 05:33 AM
I can't see it. There is just a grey field with www.eliteukforces.info in it.
Also most pics on the site just show up as these grey fields for me.

Could you maybe post it?

Nephilim
03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
http://images.google.de/images?hl=de&q=sas+bosnia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
first pic left toprow

although it appears grey for me now aswell...

mikec62001
03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I think this might be the one you mean..added a few more in

These are Brit SAS in Bosnia - one of them in the picture is a guy called Nick Cameron (most likely a pseudonym) - a former SAS sergeant who was gagged by the MoD for speaking out.

meatrabbit
03-14-2008, 04:30 PM

These are Brit SAS in Bosnia - one of them in the picture is a guy called Nick Cameron (most likely a pseudonym) - a former SAS sergeant who was gagged by the MoD for speaking out.

That's it. First picture on the left. Thanks much mikec62001. btw. thanks for the other pics too. Never seen them before - they are great.

Pronto
03-14-2008, 04:46 PM

What was he gagged for? For speaking out??
I know there is lots they can't say, but what did he say to be gagged?

mikec62001
03-14-2008, 05:16 PM
What was he gagged for? For speaking out??
I know there is lots they can't say, but what did he say to be gagged?

I assume they tried to gag him from speaking out as he was in Special Forces and the MoD aren't usually happy if they speak to the media without being authorised by them...

Hollos
03-15-2008, 03:01 PM

These are Brit SAS in Bosnia - one of them in the picture is a guy called Nick Cameron (most likely a pseudonym) - a former SAS sergeant who was gagged by the MoD for speaking out.he wrote a book called (all necessary measures) its got loads more photos, its a pretty good read as well

mikec62001
03-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I just found this article about the guy

highly decorated former SAS soldier is being taken to court by the Ministry of Defence after publicly criticising Nato and the UN for the failure to protect 50,000 Muslims from the Serbs in the "safe area" of Srebrenica seven years ago.
The man, who uses the pseudonym, Nick Cameron, was awarded the Military Cross for his actions in Bosnia where he was leader of a three-man patrol secretly infiltrated into Srebrenica to gather intelligence and liaise with an ill-prepared batallion of Dutch soldiers.

Though he signed a confidentiality agreement, he wanted to reveal the failures of western policy and the circumstances surrounding the massacre of some 7,000 Muslim men in Europe's worst war crime since the second world war.

"The military power that could have prevented the catastrophe had been assembled, but it was never used," he wrote in an article in the Sunday Times this month.

"I was not at liberty to reveal what had really happened because of a confidentiality agreement I was ordered to sign," he said. "I made up my mind that when I left the army I would write my own account of the unbelievable events of 1995 - censorship or not."

Articles he wrote for the newspaper were cleared by a Whitehall official who said they did not in any way damage national security. The MoD yesterday admitted this but confirmed that it had issued court proceedings against the former SAS soldier for breach of contract and confidence. "As an employer we are entitled to do something about it," an MoD official said.

The MoD imposed a system of confidentiality contracts on the SAS after a spate of books, led by Andy McNab's Bravo Two Zero, about an SAS patrol dropped behind enemy lines during the 1991 Gulf war. It is conducting an internal review into how much it can reveal about SAS operations, realising that the official blanket ban is untenable.

However, it is unlikely to make any move until the privy council hears an appeal due in November by a member of the Bravo Two Zero patrol, who uses the pseudonym Mike Caborn.

Mr Caborn, described in earlier books as "the Kiwi", won his right to publish his version of events in a book, Soldier 5, in the New Zealand courts. But the New Zealand court of appeal said all profits from the book must be paid to the MoD.

He is appealing to the privy council against the decision on the grounds that his human rights were breached because he was forced to sign the gagging agreement.

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/jul/29/military.richardnortontaylor

mikec62001
03-15-2008, 03:23 PM
ANother article

A former SAS sergeant who won the Military Cross for bravery in Bosnia is this weekend defying a Ministry of Defence gagging order by revealing details of Europe's worst war crime since 1945. The 43-year-old man was part of a two-man SAS team sent into the doomed town of Srebrenica before it was seized by Bosnian Serbs, who massacred 7,000 Muslims. He fears arrest by the MoD for revealing how the United Nations and Nato abandoned the Muslims to their deaths.

The former soldier was instructed to sign a draconian non-disclosure order after the fall of Srebrenica, but believes passionately that details of what he calls the UN ‘sell-out’ are too important to conceal. Today The Sunday Times serialises his story. It is an unprecedented eyewitness account by a member of Britain's military elite of the raw consequences of Western policy failure in Bosnia. It exposes how the UN and NATO were prepared to abandon thousands of Muslims to a bloody fate rather than fight off the attacking Serbs.

The former soldier, who is willing to be photographed but uses the pseudonym Nick Cameron to protect his family, was ordered into Srebrenica in 1995 when the Bosnian Serb army was menacing its population of nearly 50,000 Muslim refugees. He acted as the eyes and ears of the United Nations command in Sarajevo, reporting to Major-General Rupert Smith, the British UN commander.

When the Serbs attacked, most of the Dutch UN troops stationed in Srebrenica stood back and Cameron found himself manning last-ditch defences alongside Muslim fighters, two British colleagues and three Dutch commandos. The citation to his Military Cross says he ‘showed magnificent leadership, coolness and courage in the highest traditions of the Special Air Service Regiment’. In the strickentown's death throes - pounded by artillery fire on an exposed hill just 200 yards from Serbian positions - Cameron relayed target co-ordinates to the UN command in Sarajevo for action by NATO aircraft. After a long delay, a pair of Dutch F-16s attacked two tanks but had no effect on the Serbian advance. An American plane also appeared, but took no action before flying off. ‘I had visions of swarms of angry aircraft diving and destroying the attacking Serb targets at will. There was nothing . . . We waited and waited,’ Cameron said. He says he was told afterwards by his SAS commander, who was serving with the UN peacekeeping forces in Sarajevo, that the UN had ‘never intended to fight for this place. That was never the plan'. Cameron concluded that ‘the whole UN thing was to get Srebrenica finished with’.

After the fall of the town, at least 7,000 Muslim men and boys were divided from women and children with the co-operation of the Dutch. They were then taken away and murdered by the Serbs under the command of General Ratko Mladic. Cameron looks back with remorse. ‘I spent many sleepless nights wondering about Srebrenica. I thought of the women and children without fathers, husbands, brothers and sons. I thought of the men in the mass graves in northeast Bosnia.’ He is convinced that had the UN authorised NATO airstrikes the Serb advance and the massacre would not have occurred. ‘There was always the UN military structure in place, but no political will,’ he said.

The Dutch peacekeeping troops have since been accused of cowardice. The criticism brought down the Dutch government after an official inquiry reported earlier this year. Cameron says the Dutch should not be blamed for the massacre. ‘The decision to abandon Srebrenica was not taken by the Dutch battalion, nor did we (the SAS) make it. The soldiers on the ground became scapegoats for the indecision by the UN diplomats,’ he said. ‘The Dutch and myself and the other boys there are implicated in what went wrong . . . because we did not fulfil our duty in protecting the people of Srebrenica.’ That may be justified, but not to the extent that has been portrayed. ‘There were some very brave Dutchmen there who, within those very difficult circumstances, were trying to do the best they could.’

This article appeared in The Sunday Times, 7 July 2000 as an introduction to the serialization of the testimony of ‘Nick Cameron’ over several pages of this and the two following issues of the paper.

meatrabbit
03-15-2008, 03:31 PM
I'll try to get this book as soon as possible. To me he is a hero - in this case it was the right decission to speak out (to show how messed up the UN is)

Royal
03-15-2008, 05:29 PM
People here are confusing two different NCOs; 'Cameron Spence' and 'Nick Cameron'.

mikec62001
03-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I've circled Nick Cameron in Red - I've blanked his face out anyways

The other picture is of Cameron Spence

Just for anyone who might be getting a bit mixed up

JJHH
03-16-2008, 07:18 AM
ANother article

When the Serbs attacked, most of the Dutch UN troops stationed in Srebrenica stood back and Cameron found himself manning last-ditch defences alongside Muslim fighters, two British colleagues and three Dutch commandos.

Interesting stuff, never knew that Dutch commandos were involved in this battle.

Here´s a link to a page that elaborates on this (just for Dutch readers)
http://www.defensieforum.nl/Forum/nederland_blies_zelf_luchtsteun_srebrenica_af-t11307.10.html;wap2=

meatrabbit
03-16-2008, 02:13 PM
I've circled Nick Cameron in Red - I've blanked his face out anyways

The other picture is of Cameron Spence

Just for anyone who might be getting a bit mixed up

But wasn't the book 'all necessary measures' written by cameron spence? I just ordered it and the author is Cameron Spence (the guy on the desk who ordered it for me said so).

At the and of his book 'sabre squadron' is an epilogue of 'all necessary measures' which Cameron Spence is the author from.

Royal
03-17-2008, 07:24 AM
But wasn't the book 'all necessary measures' written by cameron spence?

Yes it was...