PDA

View Full Version : Regulations on Personally Owned Weapons in the US Military (USAF)

FutureOSI
08-09-2008, 08:03 PM
As the title says.........

California Joe
08-09-2008, 08:36 PM
You can own them like any other citizen. Duh.

Just can't take them to work. They give you some.

East Scout II
08-09-2008, 08:48 PM
And dont get cought brandishing one for ANY reason ANYWHERE in plain view on post. That would include showing them off to a buddy outside in a parking lot next to your POV..

FutureOSI
08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
So you can't purchase a personal duty weapon?

Ezekiel25:17
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
So you can't purchase a personal duty weapon?

I never heard of them letting you do it. You will use what Uncle Same issues you. Don't like the Barretta?

panzrman
08-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Only speak from Army experience. If you own firearms, and are living in the barracks, you must go thru the red tape drill of getting them registered with the post Provost Marshals and your chain of command, and then locked up in the unit Armory or Arms Room. Where you can make coordination ( pain in the ass, as you are at the mercy of the armorer) to draw them out for days you want to go to the range. With all your proper documentation of course. When done, they must be returned ASAP. Never, ever attempt to bring onto post or drive around a personal weapon that has not been registered with the PMO. And when transporting said items, keep them in plain site within your POV, along with all your red tape paper work.

Or do like most single soldiers that I knew. Keep them off post at a buddies house.

I have registered some of my personal firearms with the PMO, and brought them on post to do some range time. As long as I followed the rules, and declared them at the gate, with proper documentation, there is no real problem.

As for using a personal weapon for duty...no.

wildcat
08-10-2008, 03:55 AM
with proper documentation

What documentation do they require?

panzrman
08-10-2008, 04:37 AM
What documentation do they require?

Good question. I should have been more specific. I was refering to the owners copy of the PMO registration forms. Owners name, make of the weapon, serial number, etc..

kongman
08-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Only speak from Army experience. If you own firearms, and are living in the barracks, you must go thru the red tape drill of getting them registered with the post Provost Marshals and your chain of command, and then locked up in the unit Armory or Arms Room. Where you can make coordination ( pain in the ass, as you are at the mercy of the armorer) to draw them out for days you want to go to the range. With all your proper documentation of course. When done, they must be returned ASAP. Never, ever attempt to bring onto post or drive around a personal weapon that has not been registered with the PMO. And when transporting said items, keep them in plain site within your POV, along with all your red tape paper work.

Or do like most single soldiers that I knew. Keep them off post at a buddies house.

I have registered some of my personal firearms with the PMO, and brought them on post to do some range time. As long as I followed the rules, and declared them at the gate, with proper documentation, there is no real problem.

As for using a personal weapon for duty...no.

in the australia army a while back it was ok to bring you personal firearms onto an army base to use on the rifle/pistol ranges as long as you followed safe range practice , is that the same in the us armed forces ......

digrar
08-10-2008, 06:25 AM
How much of a while back was that? I never saw it.

muck
08-10-2008, 07:27 AM
For what purpose would someone need to bring a personally owned firearm to duty? They issue them anyway.
The only reason I could imagine is for reserve-based forces to have them armed in a case of emergency. German soldiers for example were allowed to carry their personal sidearm in duty as long as ammunition for it was officially issued by the Army. Permission by the commanding officer of the soldiers battalion/ regiment was required.

I don't know if its still the same today.

Likvid
08-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Because personally owned firearm can be simply better? (example - army issued you with old gov. 1911A1, but your own handgun is Wilson Combat 1911)
Also people are usually more familiar with their own firearm, rather than issued one, because it's firearm of their own choice, not choice of some white collar.

08-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Because personally owned firearm can be simply better? (example - army issued you with old gov. 1911A1, but your own handgun is Wilson Combat 1911)
Also people are usually more familiar with their own firearm, rather than issued one, because it's firearm of their own choice, not choice of some white collar.

Barretta 92s are standard issue.

Stan187
08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Barretta 92 are standard issue.

He said "for example." Not to mention that Barrettas are not standard issue, M9s are, which are made Beretta.

Likvid
08-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Barretta 92 are standard issue.
As I said, it's example. Muck did not mentioned specifically US air force, I believe he meant it in general. But especially for you, if you wish:

Example - army issued you with M9, but your own handgun is <put whatewer you like>

08-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Also people are usually more familiar with their own firearm, rather than issued one, because it's firearm of their own choice, not choice of some white collar.That's why teach you and familiarize you on it.

Not to mention that Barrettas are not standard issue, M9s are, which are made Beretta.Huh???

Dispatcher
08-10-2008, 12:33 PM

As I said, it's example. Muck did not mentioned specifically US air force, I believe he meant it in general. But especially for you, if you wish:

Example - army issued you with M9, but your own handgun is <put whatewer you like>

My god! Best idea ever!! Everyone bring his own weapon, because its "better" then the issued one.

How about the ammo supplied?
How about parts?
How about STANDARISATION. (Most armie's are quite big on this)

And weapons get tested before they are aquired, by soldiers, not white-collars.

FFS think before you post.

Likvid
08-10-2008, 12:56 PM
That's why teach you and familiarize you on it
Well, there are always firearms which fits you better than others and training can't change that, you only can more or less adapt.
Also with your own firearm, you can go to firing range practically any time you want.

My god! Best idea ever!! Everyone bring his own weapon, because its "better" the....
I didn't said anything about how good or bad idea it is. I just answered question why someone would need (or more likely "wish") his personal weapon for duty.
And oh, sure - every firearm is tested by soldiers and every armies always choose the best one, I almost forgott :roll:

But I agree on this one:
think before you post.

08-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Well, there are always firearms which fits you better than others and training can't change that, you only can more or less adapt.
Also with your own firearm, you can go to firing range practically any time you want.

True but you use what is issue to you and adapt. That's the way of the US military.

If the weapons is off base then yes but on base and have a weapons card for it then you might be at the mercy of the armorers.

Likvid
08-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Of course you must adapt, because it's everything you can do, except leaving military :)

James
08-10-2008, 03:00 PM

No.

In the U.S. Military you are generally trained and qualified to use whatever weapon you are issued. Regardless, there isn't that much difference between a Beretta, a 1911, and a Sig. It's like writing - if you can write your name with a pencil, you can write your name with a stick in the dirt or a marker, whatever. It isn't like someone is going to say "Oh my God, I know how to use my 1911 but I have no idea how to shoot an M9!" :roll:

California Joe
08-10-2008, 05:23 PM

I didn't said anything about how good or bad idea it is. I just answered question why someone would need (or more likely "wish") his personal weapon for duty.
And oh, sure - every firearm is tested by soldiers and every armies always choose the best one, I almost forgott :roll:

But I agree on this one:
think before you post.

You ride the short bus don't you.

Hollis
08-10-2008, 05:46 PM
They have computers in the short buses?

Stan187
08-10-2008, 06:38 PM
That's why teach you and familiarize you on it.

Huh???

No company named Barretta exists. And the M9 is what is issued to troops. Should I repeat myself again, like third time is the charm?:bash:

California Joe
08-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Gee Stan, you sure told him. Fact remains you use what Uncle Sam issues you. Whether it's spelled wrong or not.

Yeah Hollis, but only special Wilson Tactical computers. They're so much better than regular issued computers. Who cares though. Cause no one will get hurt if a bunch of retards all have different gear, with no replacement parts, or uniformity....

ABNINF
08-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Yes, there are weapons that fit better than others, but training CAN change that. That's because most people have had very little professional training, if any at all, and alot of times don't know what fits them "properly". Alot of times what people think is an improper fit is really and improper grip. I see people every week, who think they know how to shoot, cause they have a pistol at home and go to the range "all the time". I can take a shooter who's never even fired a pistol before and have them shooting circles around the person who has a gun at home, but has been practicing wrong the whole time. The new shooter has no bad habits and tends to listen and do whatever they are told, whereas the "experienced" shooter has tons of bad habits and alot of times an unwillingness to learn, because they've been doing it their way. Just because you're getting trigger time, doesn't neccesarily make you a better shooter.

Practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect.

Edit: I'd get back in my lane stan

Zoomie
08-10-2008, 06:49 PM
No company named Barretta exists. And the M9 is what is issued to troops. Should I repeat myself again, like third time is the charm?:bash:
Hey Stan, the Beretta 92 IS the M9. :slap:
Get that or do I need to beat that into you a few more times since you said the third time is the charm?

Hollis
08-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Gee Stan, you sure told him. Fact remains you use what Uncle Sam issues you. Whether it's spelled wrong or not.

Yeah Hollis, but only special Wilson Tactical computers. They're so much better than regular issued computers. Who cares though. Cause no one will get hurt if a bunch of retards all have different gear, with no replacement parts, or uniformity....

Neat thing about being a Marine, Unless the Commandant sent you to spelling school, you did not need to know how to spell. That is why everything has acronyms, no spelling is necessary.

Thanks CJ, I guess we should inform the blood diamond pants load out operators about those computers, that they should add to their kit.

Hey BDPLOO, have you hear, about the new load out, SpecWilTacComs.

wildcat
08-10-2008, 06:52 PM
you do not need to be sarcastic, you know he meant Beretta, and yes they make the M9 which is the Beretta 92 (started with 92S but 92SF and 92F are also used).

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92)

California Joe
08-10-2008, 07:04 PM
It's made in Accokeek Maryland. That's harder to spell than Beretta.

gaijinsamurai
08-10-2008, 07:21 PM

You are 100% correct, Stan! However, there is a compay called BERETTA, and they manufacture a pistol called the M9 (under license in the USA).

I'm wondering how many people who are advocating for personally-owned sidearms in the US military have actually ever served in the military, let alone a war or even an overseas deployment? Sure, it sounds great at first (I'm the fist to say I'd prefer a Glock, CZ, H&K or M1911A1 over the M9, if given the choice), but the logistal obstacles outweigh any minute advantages they might offer.

08-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm a big fan of the 1911 but the more rounds the better.

PS. Thanks for the info, Stan.

Buckeye67
08-10-2008, 08:08 PM

No need to repeat yourself. Just stop posting, you knob.

Stan187
08-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey Stan, the Beretta 92 IS the M9. :slap:
Get that or do I need to beat that into you a few more times since you said the third time is the charm?

Actually, the M9 and Beretta 92 are with some difference in specifications, so shut your piehole before you know your firearms.

Stan187
08-11-2008, 08:41 AM
No need to repeat yourself. Just stop posting, you knob.

Sucks for you, you're not very convincing. I love your contributions though.

gaijinsamurai
08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Stan: I see you are fairly new here (March/08), so I'll give you a piece of friendly advice: If you want to be able to stick around, you might want to refrain from being such a smart-ass over little things like spelling, especially with former Marines like Ezekiel, who know what they're talking about.

lt tahoe
08-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Wow--I can't believe this topic hasn't been locked a long time ago. How does it take 3 pages to answer what is basically a yes/no question?

The question was answered on the first page, and correctly. Drive on.

Calanen
08-11-2008, 11:20 AM
What I want to know is, can you bring your own vehicle to Iraq with you in the US military, specifically, can you bring your own Humvee if you have one? This Humvee is way more pimping than those drab khaki ones that are standard issue:

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/7940/humveemp5dotpng (http://imageshack.us)

ABNINF
08-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Yes, but Stan feels the need to prove himself right, even if the question has been answered. Be it spelling or the 1/1,000,000th spec difference between the Beretta 92FS and the Pistol, semi-automatic, 9mm, M9 which happens to be made by Beretta USA

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7076/dutycallswr1dotpng (http://imageshack.us)

Your right Calanen, I wish I could have rolled around in one of those.

HGRazorR
08-11-2008, 12:04 PM
IIRC Aegis (or some other PMC) rode around in heavily modified H2s in Iraq...in black and they left the chrome on too p-)

California Joe
08-11-2008, 12:12 PM
IIRC Aegis (or some other PMC) rode around in heavily modified H2s in Iraq...in black and they left the chrome on too p-)

Just like David Caruso in CSI Miami.

That looks like a Beretta, Horatio...

Not just any Beretta, that's a 92F...YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

gaijinsamurai
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
I want to take a chromed Desert Eagle with a threaded/compensated barrel, eotech site, and extended 30 rd custom magazines.

Hollis
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Actually, the M9 and Beretta 92 are with some difference in specifications, so shut your piehole before you know your firearms.

Jeepers, Yep us poor ole country boyz, drivin around in our John Deere tractors just don't understand why your parent done potty trained you all wrong.

U bein a educated person I think you can figur what C-I-V-I-L means........

Be civil, and we will get along right nicely.

LuKaZz
08-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Can't high ranking officers carry a personal firearm?

If I remember correctly Patton had a Colt Single Action at his side in WWII.

gaijinsamurai
08-11-2008, 05:04 PM
As recently as the Vietnam War, US military personel were given limited freedoms to carry their own sidearms in the field. But those days have long passed.

tango44
08-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I never heard of them letting you do it. You will use what Uncle Same issues you. Don't like the Barretta?

Baretta????

Aired: 1975 - 1978
Show Type: Live Action
Country of Origin: US

Tony Baretta was an unconventional cop. He was
streetwise, single, with a decidedly funky lifestyle:
he holed up in apartment 2-C of the run-down King
Edward Hotel with his pet cockatoo Fred. He was
usually seen in a T-shirt and jeans, with his
trademark cap pulled down over his forehead. Being
the orphaned son of poor Italian immigrants, Tony
knew the city inside out. He was a master of disguise,
and because of his rough appearance was able to
infiltrate such groups as motorcycle gangs and even
"the Mob." Needless to say, he refused to have a
partner and always worked alone. Inspector Shiller
was his original boss, later succeeded by Lt. Brubaker.
Billy Truman was a retired cop who was a
combined manager and house detective
at the hotel where Baretta lived.

Or Beretta M9:

In 1980, the United States Army began to look for the eventual successor of the famed - but aged - Colt M1911A1 series of pistol as the standard and primary sidearm to it's forces. The Italian firm of Beretta already had developed their Model 92 series enough to enter it into competitive trials, to which the US Army showed elevated interest.

After being selected as the primary developer of the next US Army sidearm, Beretta took it's 92SB model back to the drawing boards with some added US modification requirements. The resulting design produced the 92F, which was accepted into US service with the designation of Pistol M9, or simply, the M9.

gaijinsamurai
08-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Jesus Christ, I hope I never misspell a word on this forum!

08-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Baretta????

Eat a ****

California Joe
08-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Baretta????

Don't quit your day job.

Buckeye67
08-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Sucks for you, you're not very convincing. I love your contributions though.

It doesn't suck for me at all. I imagine it'll suck for you when you get banned. I would suggest to you that you wind your neck in, and for you to stop being a douchebag.

Your contributions suck, by the way.

Hollis
08-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Jesus Christ, I hope I never misspell a word on this forum!

Yeah no kiddin, also I hope I nere get a barretta 9mm stun gun, 45s a man's gun..............

Seiran
08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Careful tango44 - Stan might not take too kindly to you doing research on the subject and proving him wrong. Make sure you've got your flame retardant gear on before you come in here again....just to be safe.

kongman
08-12-2008, 07:07 AM
How much of a while back was that? I never saw it.

early 90's at holsworthy we used to use the army range for rifle shooting,even on wed for sports we used to use it for pistol shooting , but we used the pistol club ranges

Laconian
08-12-2008, 03:00 PM
What a great thread. How did I miss this?

**kicks can, walks away dejectedly, head down, hands in pockets**

California Joe
08-12-2008, 03:27 PM
*Throws Laconian a "Mean" Joe Greene jersey*

Laconian
08-12-2008, 03:38 PM
"GEE! Thanks Mean, Joe!"

Beowulf
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
haha...brilliant.

Beowulf
08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I wanted to bring my own team. It would consist primarily of members from mp.net, and some MWR girls.

I think that this team composition would be far superior than any issued team I may end up with.

I've also been looking at my own uniforms, and commo. I heard there are good rates on personally owned admin sections, and I've got some private practice doctors to handle medical stuff...this could really work out....

Laconian
08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I wanted to bring my own team. It would consist primarily of members from mp.net, and some MWR girls.

I think that this team composition would be far superior than any issued team I may end up with.

I've also been looking at my own uniforms, and commo. I heard there are good rates on personally owned admin sections, and I've got some private practice doctors to handle medical stuff...this could really work out....

Don't forget the team chef, nutrionist life coach and pilates instructor. This is all a result of the Army of One, bullsh**.

wildcat
08-12-2008, 04:31 PM

What kind of commo? I looking for some commo that can work 5 - 6 miles around town.

LongShot
08-12-2008, 04:33 PM

I know where you can get a good deal on blood diamond pants.

wildcat
08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
I know where you can get a good deal on blood diamond pants.
I got a good pair of north face blood diamonds I use them for church, just need to find a blood diamond waste coat

Beowulf
08-12-2008, 04:40 PM
What kind of commo? I looking for some commo that can work 5 - 6 miles around town.

I figure we can save some money if we just use hand and arm signals + VS-17 Panels.

I bet we can just get some pilates VHS tapes....and with the extra dough we save we can purchase berets...you know to improve morale and professionalism in the force.

Whose illustrious tradition can we steal in order to make everyone feel good about themselves.....?

Beowulf
08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I got a good pair of north face blood diamonds I use them for church, just need to find a blood diamond waste coat

I wear bd pants, 5.11 polo and photographers vest to church....with Teva sandals.....Jesus would approve.

LongShot
08-12-2008, 04:42 PM
I figure we can save some money if we just use hand and arm signals + VS-17 Panels.

I bet we can just get some pilates VHS tapes....and with the extra dough we save we can purchase berets...you know to improve morale and professionalism in the force.

Whose illustrious tradition can we steal in order to make everyone feel good about themselves.....?

Pilates on VHS might be more hard to find than BD pants......berets are real cheap, especially if you get the ones with the little ball on the top...course if you go that route then you will also have to get cammo painters smocks......

wildcat
08-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Do you have string, I got some cans, just need 5 miles of string, so on the tactical vehicle you attach it over the rear wheel and pedal away, at HQ, have a board where you can talk to each vehicle (bike) on it unjamable intercom, better still you can at HQ put 2 cans together for teams to talk to one another. We should get some camo blaze orange vests

Beowulf
08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Pilates on VHS might be more hard to find than BD pants............

If you're not dedicated I don't want you on the team.

Laconian
08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
I would go with bright red (Boy Scouts) and Brown (Brownies), if you pick these up used, you could save enough to get lawyers on retainer for the whole team. I also know a couple of guys from Jersey that would be willing to get you a Teamsters local #, for contracts and stuff.

LongShot
08-12-2008, 04:48 PM
If you're not dedicated I don't want you on the team.

Headed to the salvation army now......pick up a "color me badd" jersey while im there.

wildcat
08-12-2008, 04:49 PM
I wear bd pants, 5.11 polo and photographers vest to church....with Teva sandals.....Jesus would approve.
I wear hightech and a hiking shirt, everybody else wear white shirts and suits, coats etc, people judge people for what they wear so I rebelled, church does not have a dress code, just some culture thing developed in my church. I once wore a Realtree APG camo shirt and said it was a lower 48 version of a Hawaiian shirt.

California Joe
08-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I would go with bright red (Boy Scouts) and Brown (Brownies), if you pick these up used, you could save enough to get lawyers on retainer for the whole team. I also know a couple of guys from Jersey that would be willing to get you a Teamsters local #, for contracts and stuff.

*Note to self: Make sure team members have small heads.

I'm thinking we should appropriate the traditions of the 42nd Pennsylvania Regiment (13th Reserves) They were all sharpshooters and were called The Bucktails because they wore deer tails on their lids. Green jackets and furry whitetail deer tails on hats. That's style.