PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a uniform after discharge

olowy
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
How long can one in the US army wear formal uniform after discharge? I saw a picture of someone who seperated with honorable discharge in January 2005 but recently wore a uniform. Is it becasue you stay in active reserves after discharge and you can wear it durign that time?

Pappy
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
According to AR 670-1:

"30-4. Wear of the Uniform by former members of the Army

a. Unless qualified under another provisino of this regulation, or under teh provisions of section 772, title 10, United States Code (10 USC 772), former members of the Army may wear the uniform if they served honorably during a declared or undeclared war, and if their most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions. Personnel who qualify under these conditions will wear the Army uniform in the highest grade they held during such war service, in accordance with 10 USC 772.
b. The uniform is authorized for wear only for the following ceremonial occasions, and when traveling to and from the ceremony or function. Uniforms for these occasions are restricted to service and dress uniforms; the BDU and physical fitness uniforms will not be worn.
(1) When attending military funerals, memorial services, weddings, inaugurals, and other occasions of ceremony.
(2) When attending parades on national or state holidays, or other patriotic parades or ceremonies in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part. Wear of the Army uniform at any other time, or for any other purpose than stated above, is prohibited."

There you go. There's also a section for retired personnel, and also Medal of Honor recipients.

USMCRTop
01-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Gonna be buried in mine- hope I fit

dave81
01-19-2009, 05:43 PM
I always thought it would be funny to have done a 3 year enlistment, get out, then go around town wearing those blue veterans' organization-type hats (American Legion, VFW) with all the pins and badges on it, at ripe old age of 22.

http://enquirer.com/editions/1998/07/13/bethel2_550x388dotjpg

N-G-F-O
01-19-2009, 05:57 PM
chucked all of my kit out except for my maggot, my boots and a couple sets of dpm, only thing military i'd be seen with is my gongs and veterans badge on armistice day.

Sloppy Joe2
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I always thought it would be funny to have done a 3 year enlistment, get out, then go around town wearing those blue veterans' organization-type hats (American Legion, VFW) with all the pins and badges on it, at ripe old age of 22.

being at the VA about every damn day you see some guys who have entire decked out wheelchairs with all their badges, medals, unit crests, patches you name it all over the damn things. cant blame them for being proud i guess.

Anthony91
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
being at the VA about every damn day you see some guys who have entire decked out wheelchairs with all their badges, medals, unit crests, patches you name it all over the damn things. cant blame them for being proud i guess.

I always make a habit of thanking those men and women every time I run into them.

Ritual
01-19-2009, 08:43 PM
a. Unless qualified under another provisino of this regulation, or under teh provisions of section 772... :|

dave81
01-19-2009, 09:01 PM
a. Unless qualified under another provisino of this regulation, or under teh provisions of section 772... :-|

:|:|

Mofreaka
01-19-2009, 10:27 PM
The regulations are leet, its ok.

chefjavier
01-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Who's care about the regulation. If you served in the military and proud to wear you uniform. I think he/she has the right to wear that if they could fit. :)

Schad
01-20-2009, 06:29 AM
You mean apart from when you're doing the gardening?

dave81
01-20-2009, 11:49 AM
I usually wash my uniform after a discharge.

Sloppy Joe2
01-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I always make a habit of thanking those men and women every time I run into them. one time while i was there i was at the elevators, it opened and there was a vet in a wheelchair who had lost both his legs. he is kind of rolling back and forth like he may get off and i ask him "sir, are you getting off?" and he just responded with "duhhhh!" and then i said "**** off!" we both laughed about it in the elevator and he told me that i was the first stranger to tell him that in a long time p-)

Pappy
01-20-2009, 05:38 PM
a. Unless qualified under another provisino of this regulation, or under teh provisions of section 772... :|

The document was in PDF format so I couldn't copy and paste. I had pulled an all-nighter and was typing quickly. Sue me.