PDA

View Full Version : When guards attack - St. James palace

ronnieraygun
01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Columbian student Nick Ibarra, 23, began larking about for pal Suzanne Cadosch, 22, who was videoing the armed guard on duty in his bearskin and red tunic.

As the guardsman marched up and down as he stood sentry duty outside St James Palace in front of dozens of tourists, laughing Nick marched alongside him.
He had heard that the famed royal guards never leave their post unless a threat to the royals presents itself.

But he got the shock of his life when this one lost his cool and quick marched over to him and clipped him round the back of the head and aimed a boot at him.

Then according to Nick he pushed him away with his SA-80 semi automatic rifle while letting out a furious roar.

Unfortunately Nick’s student pal Suzanne was so shocked and scared she stopped videoing the soldier’s attack.

She said:”I just thought “Oh My God” he’s got a gun and he’s going for Nick and he grabbed him and tried to boot him and we were so shocked we just ran away fast.

“You often see people pulling faces at the guards and standing beside them for photo’s and marching along with them but obviously this soldier didn’t find it funny.

“In hindsight I can understand the soldier losing his cool but it was very frightening indeed” she said.

Nick, who is studying English in Oxford, Oxon, said: ”I felt this huge hand on my collar and managed to avoid a boot up the backside but he was growling like a bear.

“I was worried because he had a bayonet on his gun and didn’t want that going somewhere painful! He pushed me away with the gun and I just ran for it”, he said.

The guardsman was on sentry duty at St James Palace which is the senior Palace of the Sovereign and is where the Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra reside.

The St Jame’s Detatchment of The Queen’s Guard mounts sentry duty there daily and Clarence House where Prince Charles and his sons live is within St James’s environs.

A Queen’s guardsman, on being shown the video, said: ”On one hand you can understand him wanting to put a hobnailed size 12 up the guy’s backside for taking the p**s.

“But on the other hand he will be in hot water for losing his cool when he should have ignored it. He should have gone back into his sentry box and just stood guard.

“But he will no doubt feel very satisfied at putting this oik to flight”, he said.

http://www.**************/sol/homepage/news/article2161655.ece

Britboy
01-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Loving it. What else did this guy expect?
Just as well he's a Columbian student and not a Brazilian electrician, or things could have ended up worse for him p-)

Ezekiel25:17
01-22-2009, 09:07 PM
There's a ***** club around my parts called the St. James.

Andrew116
01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
we need video of this lol

little icebear
01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone else recalls that Episode from the Simpsons, where Homer gets punched in the face for pulling such a stunt in front of a Marine at the US Embassy in Australia. :)

Ngati Tumatauenga
01-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately Nick’s student pal Suzanne was so shocked and scared she stopped videoing the soldier’s attack.

How convenient...

But wait;

A Queen’s guardsman, on being shown the video,

So which was it?

I'd heard that after a number of skinhead attacks in the 80's the guards were actually fenced off from the public. Can any of our britannic bretheren shed light on this?

Johnny_H02
01-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Good on him, and kudos to the Guard.
While the Scarlet & Gold might draw Tourist Attention, these are real Soldiers. Who should receive proper respect. People wouldn't march beside or patronize Bobbies or an RCMP Officer in a mocking fashion so what makes H.M. Household troops any different?

Britboy
01-22-2009, 10:09 PM
How convenient...

But wait;

So which was it?

I'd heard that after a number of skinhead attacks in the 80's the guards were actually fenced off from the public. Can any of our britannic bretheren shed light on this?

If you go to the link at The Scum, you can watch the video, it ends the instant the lad has his collar felt...

No idea if they were fenced off. Shame if they were, having the Guards guarded. Using the bayonet would be a better course of action! But then people would be up in arms that a Guard could defend himself/Big Liz.

Good on him, and kudos to the Guard.
While the Scarlet & Gold might draw Tourist Attention, these are real Soldiers. Who should receive proper respect. People wouldn't march beside or patronize Bobbies or an RCMP Officer in a mocking fashion so what makes H.M. Household troops any different?

True, the Guards aren't for Public Duties only, but have also done tours as well. I'm guessing some condescending/obnoxious tourist mongs would get short shrift from a returned veteran...

retrobob
01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
It really is a credit to the professionalism and enormous patience of Britain's Household troops who, over the years, whilst carrying out public duties to put up with some of the shyte that tourists/onlookers can sometimes give them.Many years ago I once stood back and watched my cousin,a young Coldstreamer at St. James Palace,the daft comments alone would have been enough for me to tell someone to f**k off.
I dare say, that if this Colombian bloke tried pulling this sort of crap in a few other foreign capitals that I could think of(including his own), he'd be nursing alot more than the pain of an ammo boot launched up his ****.

Bringer of Greater Things
01-23-2009, 12:31 AM
Almost as good as the vid of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier guard going off on a tourist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-dBwdeJSGo&feature=related
Almost.

Dan2004
01-23-2009, 01:25 AM
Anyone else recalls that Episode from the Simpsons, where Homer gets punched in the face for pulling such a stunt in front of a Marine at the US Embassy in Australia. :)

Yeah, I do. "I'm in America. Now I'm in Australia. Now I'm in America. Australia. America. Australia..." roflroflrofl

That, and the "Booting."

helomech
01-23-2009, 01:28 AM
Almost as good as the vid of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier guard going off on a tourist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-dBwdeJSGo&feature=related
Almost.

Oh man,that rocked!!!!!!!!!

Absolute professionalism to the core;I liked how the offficer on deck stopped speaking the moment that soldier challenged the unauthorized intrusion of that weenie and continued when the soldier returned to point of origin

Awesome.......

MoFo
01-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Cheeky sod had whats coming to him, I couldnt be a guard I dont think I'd have the patience.

Slouch
01-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Oh man,that rocked!!!!!!!!!

Absolute professionalism to the core;I liked how the offficer on deck stopped speaking the moment that soldier challenged the unauthorized intrusion of that weenie and continued when the soldier returned to point of origin

Awesome.......

Bloody oath. What was the Guard saying? "Something something behind the something rail"?

Dave76
01-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Bloody oath. What was the Guard saying? "Something something behind the something rail"?
Something like:"It is requested that all visitors remain behind the chains and rail!"

qaborg
01-23-2009, 05:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yw9WlJimn0&hl

(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9yw9WlJimn0)

Mousepad
01-23-2009, 05:47 AM
^^

Niice. Strange, i heard that Bobbys always around, just to fend off morons like this.

BlackFlag
01-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Yeah, I do. "I'm in America. Now I'm in Australia. Now I'm in America. Australia. America. Australia..." roflroflrofl

That, and the "Booting."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tiDhi17x7g

aclark79
01-23-2009, 11:07 AM
A friend of mine who was a Welsh Guardsman in the 80's till the 1st Gulf War described his job and guard duty to me. He did point out that St. James is (if I remember correctly) the only place you can actually get close to a Guardsman or other guard on duty, unlike The Tower or Buckingham where they are behind the fence or behind that little low railing (at the tower).

Apparently they only went behind the fence at Buckingham after problems with tourists and the like.... he used to get birds putting thier addresses in his pockets (but never went because sometimes it was an IRA setup)....

He did say that while they weren't supposed to react to provocation, they were certainly allowed to defend themselves and had no problem doing so if touched.

I'd be interested to hear from soe of the other members who may have been on duty to hear thier experiances

Malc
01-23-2009, 11:35 AM
From Wikipedia,

They provide sentries during the day and night, and during the latter hours they patrol the grounds of the Palace. Until 1959, the sentries at Buckingham Palace were stationed outside the fence. This stopped following an incident involving a female tourist and a Coldstream Guardsman — due to the continued pestering of tourists and sightseers, the guardsman kicked the tourist on the ankle as he marched. The tourist made a complaint to the police and, despite sympathy, the sentry was confined to barracks for ten days. Not long after, the sentries were moved inside the fence.[2]

Mr Mechanised
01-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Would have loved to see that boot go up Mr Giggles a- hole.
We have the same problem around The Royal Castle in Stockholm. Some people piss on the castle (its in the city centre, so people pass by on weekend nights) and for this they get to wipe it up when the patrol gets them.:)

danielc
01-23-2009, 11:42 AM
That was awsome, good for that soldier. Stupid idiots that don't respect anything. It's too bad that soldier will probably get punished for doing what's right.

welshmann
01-23-2009, 11:45 AM
A friend of mine who was a Welsh Guardsman in the 80's till the 1st Gulf War described his job and guard duty to me. He did point out that St. James is (if I remember correctly) the only place you can actually get close to a Guardsman or other guard on duty, unlike The Tower or Buckingham where they are behind the fence or behind that little low railing (at the tower).

Apparently they only went behind the fence at Buckingham after problems with tourists and the like.... he used to get birds putting thier addresses in his pockets (but never went because sometimes it was an IRA setup)....

He did say that while they weren't supposed to react to provocation, they were certainly allowed to defend themselves and had no problem doing so if touched.

I'd be interested to hear from soe of the other members who may have been on duty to hear thier experiances

thats bollox,phone numbers,not address

Johnny_H02
01-23-2009, 11:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yw9WlJimn0&hl

(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9yw9WlJimn0)

He should have looked up their Motto "Nemo Me Impune Lacessit (No one assails me with impunity"

Bombtrack
01-23-2009, 11:49 AM
The best part was hearing that stupid ****'s obnoxious laughter stop.

aclark79
01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
thats bollox,phone numbers,not address

Possibly, although its more likely that I'm remembering it wrong, as it was a story told quite a number of years ago. He's not in anymore as he unfortunately got quite sick after the 1GW.

So how has it been for you on guard mount?

Fargin
01-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Sometimes a little punnishment is worth it.

OldCode
01-23-2009, 12:34 PM
My older bro was Lifeguards and he would go on for ages about what folks would do to him on parade. Especially when on horseback - people would drop coins, chocolate bars, bubble gum into his knee-high boots; he'd have molten choco and gum stuck to his boots, and that would represent a good 2 hours of cleaning. People would even try and spook the horse, but there was usually a dismounted watching out for real twats.

People messing up his kit really pissed off my bro - you can't imagine the amount of spit and polish needed in Household Cavalry, and having a choc-ice smeared on his breastplate would mean literally hours of work. Most of the abuse he got was at Horseguard's parade.

He and a comrade once got revenge on some Mods (early chavs) before he was posted to Lifeguards. He was on duty outside Kensington Barracks and some blokes were taking the piss. My bro's friend put the sword's handguard to use as a knuckle-duster on a couple of blokes and sent them all packing. RSMs only comment was "that'll take some cleaning".

Britboy
01-23-2009, 12:58 PM
My older bro was Lifeguards and he would go on for ages about what folks would do to him on parade. Especially when on horseback - people would drop coins, chocolate bars, bubble gum into his knee-high boots; he'd have molten choco and gum stuck to his boots, and that would represent a good 2 hours of cleaning. People would even try and spook the horse, but there was usually a dismounted watching out for real twats.

People messing up his kit really pissed off my bro - you can't imagine the amount of spit and polish needed in Household Cavalry, and having a choc-ice smeared on his breastplate would mean literally hours of work. Most of the abuse he got was at Horseguard's parade.

He and a comrade once got revenge on some Mods (early chavs) before he was posted to Lifeguards. He was on duty outside Kensington Barracks and some blokes were taking the piss. My bro's friend put the sword's handguard to use as a knuckle-duster on a couple of blokes and sent them all packing. RSMs only comment was "that'll take some cleaning".

I saw a Cavalryman on guard somewhere in London, dismounted though, a few years ago now. He looked like one incredibly depressed bloke standing in all that kit in the middle of a heatwave surrounded by mongoloid tourists (except for me I hasten to add :p )

I can see why now!

Isn't that kit so heavy that they can't dress themselves? Takes another guy to dress them and takes forever? And I thought red tunics and bearskin was an embuggerance... FWIW those breastplates look heavy.

Plus white breeches and choccie stains from ****bag tourists is never going to be good. Shoulda skewered them on his sabre, or at least given them the back or flat of the blade...

Ghelp
01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Colombia

x1312312312222222222222222

Albatross
01-23-2009, 01:05 PM
If a man has an assault rifle, and looks pissed. Taking the piss would always, always a bad idea.

Ghelp
01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Great video.That dude was annoying.

California Joe
01-23-2009, 01:10 PM
I would like to invite that Guard to the forum. I'll make him a Mod. He has the right attitude. :)

gaz
01-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Colombia

x1312312312222222222222222

Am I missing something or did you just underline the wrong o?

OldCode
01-23-2009, 01:11 PM
[quote=Britboy;3865092]I saw a Cavalryman on guard somewhere in London, dismounted though, a few years ago now. He looked like one incredibly depressed bloke standing in all that kit in the middle of a heatwave surrounded by mongoloid tourists (except for me I hasten to add :p )

Yep, it's bloody heavy and you need two to fully gear up, strapping on the breastplate and all. What with boiling hot summer sunshine and tourists taking the piss, it's a credit to the ceremonials that so few decide to strike out.

Britboy
01-23-2009, 01:16 PM
[quote=Britboy;3865092]I saw a Cavalryman on guard somewhere in London, dismounted though, a few years ago now. He looked like one incredibly depressed bloke standing in all that kit in the middle of a heatwave surrounded by mongoloid tourists (except for me I hasten to add :p )

Yep, it's bloody heavy and you need two to fully gear up, strapping on the breastplate and all. What with boiling hot summer sunshine and tourists taking the piss, it's a credit to the ceremonials that so few decide to strike out.

Yeh, I guess thats a great attitude to have in your troops.

Saw a thread over on Arrse.co.uk about a lad asking about joining the Brigade of Guards, a lot of people saying 'ahh no you'll have to do Public Duties, lots of bullsh1t' - but one poster there came and said 'its not bullsh1t, its doing everything to the absolute highest possible standard, whether that be in the field or on parade...

Made sense to me. Credit to them!

aclark79
01-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Its depressing that so many douchbags mess with the ceremonial troops at Horse Guards. I really enjoyed seeing them when I was in London.

So why doesn't the Met post some officers there who can prevent, or at least catch, the jerks in the act?

Ghelp
01-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Am I missing something or did you just underline the wrong o?

Hahhaa yeah I did.It is Colombia people ok! :)

Bruisercruiser
01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Wonder what would happened to that tool if he did that to a Colombian Guard or whatever the equivenlant might be?

California Joe
01-23-2009, 01:38 PM
If I was standing there watching this *****stick I probably would have given him a forearm shiver myself so the Guard didn't have to. Stupid *******.

OldCode
01-23-2009, 01:42 PM
[quote=OldCode;3865132]

Yeh, I guess thats a great attitude to have in your troops.

Saw a thread over on Arrse.co.uk about a lad asking about joining the Brigade of Guards, a lot of people saying 'ahh no you'll have to do Public Duties, lots of bullsh1t' - but one poster there came and said 'its not bullsh1t, its doing everything to the absolute highest possible standard, whether that be in the field or on parade...

Made sense to me. Credit to them!

Well, my brother joined as he was an undisciplined young man and thought he would "get some discipline" in the Guards (he also went in loving horses and riding). Doing it all to "the highest possible standard" was a level too much for my brother and he had a really miserable time. It's not just your own kit you have to spit and polish, you've got this bloody great nag with as much of a weight of gear as you, and it's got to be kept to that high standard. Plus officer's horses as well.

Between his own gear, mucking stables, brushing down the nag and tying it's tail, and cleaning the horse's saddle and kit, plus the rigid grooming and discipline standards, it was more than my brother could take.

He's never gone near a horse since, and would probably have been better served in a line infantry company. That said, the family was as proud as can be with him - I'll never forget his passing out ceremony at Knightsbridge or his first ceremonial at Horseguard's parade.

Britboy
01-23-2009, 01:50 PM
TBH I couldn't be a Guardsman, I'm not a big fan of drill or polishing kit either.

But I can see the worth of that unit for people who do find they fit there.

Perhaps your brother could consider a transfer to another part of the services, where he could do the infantry/light cav role that Household troops have, but without so much in the way of paradegrounds and bulling?

Hope he gets his love of horses and riding back in time - they are beautiful creatures.

wotsnext
01-23-2009, 02:41 PM
This sort of thing happens more often than you might think, normally at night, when pissheads get chucked out of clubs and think " I know, lets go round to St James's and wind up a Guardsman" my son was on duty one night a when a few of these tossers started throwing food at him and the other Guardsman....Bad Idea!

pascalywood
01-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm giving my name for the CG at Ottawa for this summer, looking forward to get some phone numbers and hit some tourists :D

Old_Boy_Steve
01-25-2009, 02:10 PM
http://uk.youtube.com/v/9iMqFpBc9L8&feature=related (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMqFpBc9L8&feature=related)

Can't help but think, "good".

Kojo
01-25-2009, 02:14 PM
repost of a repost ;) still well deserved yes

Bia
01-25-2009, 02:16 PM
stupid video ENDS as it starts.

FAIL

Skukuza
01-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Tourists are always horsing around with the guys doing guard duty, unless he was being insulting I dont see any reason for the guard to do that.
Bad PR.

Kojo
01-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Tourists are always horsing around with the guys doing guard duty, unless he was being insulting I dont see any reason for the guard to do that.
Bad PR.

ermm tourist are just that, visitors to someone else his country , better have the goddamn courtesy to show some damn respect while you are there.

BritSig
01-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I agree, this happens often, just caught this squaddie on a bad day.

Should just have a covert stag. An extra duty where the Guard is in civvies pretending to be a tourist, as soon as someone starts ****ing around you deploy non lethal force in the form of a water ballon filled with pi$$!!!
This i would volunteer extra duties for!!

I-Tankman
01-25-2009, 02:22 PM
ermm tourist are just that, visitors to someone else his country , better have the goddamn courtesy to show some damn respect while you are there.

couldn't agree with you more on that. the tourist was an ass

Desert_Donkey
01-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Looks like the Colombian tourists could use some lessons in manners.

Just a thought, but IMHO, a great many of the idiots who feel the need to "horse around" with a Soldier on guard duty are probably doing it to make themselves feel better about the fact that they probably couldn't cut the mustard in anyone's military.

Old_Boy_Steve
01-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree, this happens often, just caught this squaddie on a bad day.

Should just have a covert stag. An extra duty where the Guard is in civvies pretending to be a tourist, as soon as someone starts ****ing around you deploy non lethal force in the form of a water ballon filled with pi$$!!!
This i would volunteer extra duties for!!

I like your idea mate.

UK1RPO
01-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Everyone is human and I'd be pissed off too if someone was doing that.

BritSig is onto something!

Also too bad she stopped filming! Daft woman!

helomech
01-25-2009, 02:36 PM
That punks' lucky he didn't get some buttstock lovin-disrespectful little ****

Atlantic Friend
01-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Reminds me an old "Alfred Hitchcock presents" that started with an obnoxious couple of tourists making faces at an impassible Guardsman. At the end of the show, the couple was shown lying on the floor, the Guardsman still impassible if it wasn't for the smoke coming from his rifle... ;)

As far as I am concerned he could have kicked the bratt's butt to teach him some manners.

Old_Boy_Steve
01-25-2009, 02:44 PM
That punks' lucky he didn't get some buttstock lovin-disrespectful little ****

The bayonet could come in handy.

SilentType
01-25-2009, 02:46 PM
That wouldn't have upset me. Annoying sure, but is that insulting? Don't think so.

Maybe it's just because I'm older now, but that sort of stuff would have pissed me off in the past, but wouldn't phase me at all these days. So many *******s in the world if you kick the crap out everyone you come across it will become a full time job.

That tourist was making an ass out of himself.

Stolly
01-25-2009, 04:40 PM
I regret that we didn't see more of that grinning buffoon being a lot less brave when he realised he couldn't treat the soldier like a mindless robot.

rgjbloke
01-25-2009, 07:59 PM
This is a repost. I did comment on the other post that I didn't believe it unless I saw the clip. Lol. Well here it is. Did public duties once. The Guardsman is completely out of order to do what he did. Discipline is discipline. You are above the mickey takers and you should not sink to their level. Living in outer London, I have in the past on a few occasions tested the patience of Guardsmen in their scarlett uniforms and wearing their bearskin headress by standing in front of them and asking them if their heads are actually that shape. I'm pleased to report that the only real response I got was a slight tick in the eye. No one gave me a kick up the backside. So in my view, 99.9% do their job 100% professionally.

flanker7
01-26-2009, 01:30 AM
In Greece, when the guard needs asistence of any kind, such as this case, he taps his stock a couple of times on the ground and a stand-by NCO or officer comes and kindly asks the ******* to leave

loganinkosovo
01-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Awesome! Good on Ya', Squadie!

Kick him again for me!

Teach the Yobs a little respect.

I love how the little ***** isn't smiling the next day

:)

http://www.**************/sol/homepage/news/article2161655.ece

marktigger
01-26-2009, 04:56 AM
The Guards were moved back inside the railings in the 80's following a series of attacks. However I do remember from the dim and distant past something about a line round some posts where the Guardsman is within the standing orders to remove anyone who crossess it at bayonet point if necessary. Thought they should use the panic button to summon help first.

LazerLordz
01-26-2009, 06:36 AM
In this instance, I think the guard did the right thing.

wotsnext
01-26-2009, 06:45 AM
The Guards were moved back inside the railings in the 80's following a series of attacks.
Not at St James Palace.