PDA

View Full Version : Autographs of famous Soldiers

commanding
02-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Does anyone have or collect autographs of famous soldiers? Also do you know what "short snorters" are or have any? Short snorters were paper currency of various nations, that were signed by other members of the military usually in the same company..this was very popular in World War two.
Of the autographs I have in my collection of famous Soldiers, I have the following few:
1. General Omar Bradley (USA)
2. Gen. George Patton IV (USA, fought in Korea and Vietnam) (this is NOT the world war II Patton...it was his son)
3. Gen. Colin Powell (USA
4. Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf (USA)
5. Gen. Creighton Abrams (USA)
6. Gen. Curtis LeMay (USA)
7. General Chuck Yeager (USA)
8. Secretary of the Army ..Pete Geren

commanding
02-14-2009, 06:19 PM
BTW, an autograph of the World War II general patton is now worth about $3,400, give or take. So really good autographs can be quite pricey.

jaybe
02-14-2009, 07:43 PM
I have authograph of Mikhail Devyatayev - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Devyataev

commanding
02-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I have authograph of Mikhail Devyatayev - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Devyataev

I read his entry and must say that is an interesting story. It is ironic that he escaped the German POW camp and flew out in a german airplane and was almost shot down by Russian AA, then landed and was put in prison because the Soviets thought he was a spie. Sounds like a plot for a movie!
Did you get a photograph of him too?

Ed Robinson
02-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I met Keith PAYNE. VC, several years ago and he autographed my copy of “The Team.” . A couple of weeks later he sent me an autographed copy of a photograph of the two of us when he was signing my book.

Nice bloke. Its not every day that a VC winner reviews your parade.

(Keith PAYNE won his VC in Vietnam with the Australian Army training team.)

jaybe
02-14-2009, 08:38 PM
I read his entry and must say that is an interesting story. It is ironic that he escaped the German POW camp and flew out in a german airplane and was almost shot down by Russian AA, then landed and was put in prison because the Soviets thought he was a spie. Sounds like a plot for a movie!
Did you get a photograph of him too?

No i was too small then - he made a lecture/meeting in my school when i was about 8
There was a Soviet movie based on his story - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311597/

Mofreaka
02-15-2009, 03:15 AM
I have an autograph of Mel Brooks, does that count?

commanding
02-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I met Keith PAYNE. VC, several years ago and he autographed my copy of “The Team.” . A couple of weeks later he sent me an autographed copy of a photograph of the two of us when he was signing my book.

Nice bloke. Its not every day that a VC winner reviews your parade.

(Keith PAYNE won his VC in Vietnam with the Australian Army training team.)

Ah! My good friend in Oz, has kept me up to speed on the VC which is evidently about the same as the Medal of Honor in the USA. I have seen photos of the various types of VC. Meeting one of the VC holders must have been an honor deluxe. I have NEVER met a Medal of Honor holder here.
Most of the generals do not even hold the MOH. I suspect the same for the VC. It is usually awarded to a common soldier in battle.

commanding
02-15-2009, 11:54 AM
I have an autograph of Mel Brooks, does that count?

I guess it counts in a way, believe he was in the service??? I have autograph of one movie star who was there on at Malamady in Europe.

Ngati Tumatauenga
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Ah! My good friend in Oz, has kept me up to speed on the VC which is evidently about the same as the Medal of Honor in the USA.

Equivalent perhaps, but not the 'same'.

It is usually awarded to a common soldier in battle.

There is no such thing as a "common" soldier. In battle or otherwise.

commanding
02-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Equivalent perhaps, but not the 'same'.

There is no such thing as a "common" soldier. In battle or otherwise.

By "common" i mean a soldier who is not a general or high ranking officer. And of course I realize the VC is not the same as the MOH, I believe he MOH has been awarded many more times than the VC (but that is just my impression, I haven't looked it up). During the mid 1800s here they handed out MOH like crazy.

Umbro2914
02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Of the autographs I have in my collection of famous Soldiers, I have the following few:
1. General Omar Bradley (USA)
2. Gen. George Patton IV (USA, fought in Korea and Vietnam) (this is NOT the world war II Patton...it was his son)
3. Gen. Colin Powell (USA
4. Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf (USA)
5. Gen. Creighton Abrams (USA)
6. Gen. Curtis LeMay (USA)
7. General Chuck Yeager (USA)
8. Secretary of the Army ..Pete Geren

and howd you come by acquiring all these autographs?
getting them yourself or simply buying them?

commanding
02-16-2009, 10:46 AM
and howd you come by acquiring all these autographs?
getting them yourself or simply buying them?

Mixed, both answers.
bought these:
Omar Bradley
Curtis LeMay

and ones I got myself:
Gen. Patton IV (a nice guy now deceased though)
Colin Powell
Stormin Norman
Creighton Abrams (a really nice guy)
Gen. Chuck Yeager ( a really really nice guy)
Secretary of the Army, Pete Geren (really nice guy)
Gen. Alexander Haig

of all the big military high ranking guys I have contacted, Chuck Yeager, the man who broke the sound barrier and flew P51s in WWII is by far the most down to earth nicest guy you would ever want to meet. A real man's man, salt of the earth.

dave81
02-16-2009, 11:49 AM
I have Gen. Anne Dunwoody's "autograph" (the first female 4-star general), personally signed on a training certificate I have from back when she was a one-star. p-)

I also have a picture of me wearing Tommy Franks' DCU top when he was commading Third Army (don't ask).

commanding
02-16-2009, 04:36 PM
I have Gen. Anne Dunwoody's "autograph" (the first female 4-star general), personally signed on a training certificate I have from back when she was a one-star. p-)

I also have a picture of me wearing Tommy Franks' DCU top when he was commading Third Army (don't ask).

Cool...Tommy Franks is one guy I really admire, and I wish I had his autograph. Seems like a good soldier.

dersammler
02-16-2009, 04:55 PM
i wish i had his uniform!

Wilco
02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I've got one from Lt. Colonel Oliver North.

California Joe
02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I have 3 autographed books:

John McCain
Carlos Hathcock
Jimmy Stewart (Actor and Air Force Col.)

Simply because they were signing them. Jimmy Stewarts book of poetry at a book signing, Gunny Hathcock after chatting with him at a gun show, he was in a wheelchair then and not doing so well, and John McCain when he visited a Naval Base where I was working.

LineDoggie
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM

John McCain
Carlos Hathcock

Simply because they were signing them. Jimmy Stewarts book of poetry at a book signing, Gunny Hathcock after chatting with him at a gun show, he was in a wheelchair then and not doing so well, and John McCain when he visited a Naval Base where I was working.

BG Stewart is the Man! even flew a Bombing Mission over North Vietnam with no publicity

gaz
02-16-2009, 07:59 PM
of all the big military high ranking guys I have contacted, Chuck Yeager, the man who broke the sound barrier and flew P51s in WWII is by far the most down to earth nicest guy you would ever want to meet. A real man's man, salt of the earth.

That's quite interesting since I know several people who've met him and whilst none of them would ever dream of disparaging his service or skills as a pilot, not one of them had a kind word to say about his personality.

California Joe
02-16-2009, 08:07 PM
BG Stewart is the Man! even flew a Bombing Mission over North Vietnam with no publicity

You're right, he was a "BG". I shouldn't have demoted him...:)

Beowulf
02-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I have MG David Rodriguez, and Secretary of the Army Francis Harvey's signatures on some paperwork....

yay.

edit:
oh and Gen Boykin too

commanding
02-16-2009, 08:49 PM

John McCain
Carlos Hathcock

Holycrop. I would give a shiney nickel for a Carlos Hathcock autograph. I am reading "Marine Sniper" by Henderson for the 2nd time. I have Jimmy Stewart's autograph too, I forgot about that one, but not John McCain's. Hathcock has always been high on my list of good guys.
Jimmy Stewart was a heck of a nice guy from all appearances. Loved that poem he wrote about his dog.

Skutatos
02-17-2009, 12:01 AM
I have Buck Compton's signature, a few flying tiger's sinatures, a bunch of tuskegee airmen's signatures, My dad has Boyington's signature.

CHERK
02-17-2009, 12:04 AM
Chuck Norris :lol:, if I am not mistaken he was in USAF at some point...

El Diablo Rojo
02-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Chuck Norris :lol:, if I am not mistaken he was in USAF at some point...
Security Forces, '58-'62. He took up martial arts in Korea; Osan IIRC.

mcsuperfly
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I have none, but I dream of getting Mikhail Kalashnikov to sign an AK for me. Not likely to happen though because for one, he's not long for this world and two, I am not so keen on booking a flight to Russia with an AK receiver cover and/or stock for the express purpose of having him sign it.

Bro Jangles
02-17-2009, 05:02 PM
only one i have is of Scott O'Grady.

commanding
02-17-2009, 09:52 PM
only one i have is of Scott O'Grady.

That is a good one!!! I thought I was going to get one of his, but it didn't pan out. (we had air force recruiting office across the hall from us and he was supposed to visit, but it didn't happen)

Bro Jangles
02-17-2009, 10:02 PM
That is a good one!!! I thought I was going to get one of his, but it didn't pan out. (we had air force recruiting office across the hall from us and he was supposed to visit, but it didn't happen)i caught him at a book signing at hickam field when i was like 8

joeyl
02-19-2009, 02:28 AM
I have R Lee Ermys autograph on my kevlar cover. Me and my buddy met him in Kuwait. He's a real cool guy and a lot taller in real life. I wish I had my camera though. For some reason when I met him I wasn't thinking of Full Metal Jacket but of Saving Silverman when he tossed himself out of a moving van. Funny stuff

commanding
02-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I have R Lee Ermys autograph on my kevlar cover. Me and my buddy met him in Kuwait. He's a real cool guy and a lot taller in real life. I wish I had my camera though. For some reason when I met him I wasn't thinking of Full Metal Jacket but of Saving Silverman when he tossed himself out of a moving van. Funny stuff
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h8/clovisfirst/full-metal-jacket-ermeydotjpg

Good old Gunny....in the movie FMJ he was Sgt. Hartman. Lots of classic lines from that movie. I like Gunny Ermy on his television show. Gunny Ermy was also in other movies, Apocolpyse Now he portrayed a helicopter pilot in the attack on the village. He was in others too but it is too early for my brain to remember them. :) Anyway, he seems like a great guy, he was a "real" drill sgt. prior to portraying on in FMJ as I wondered how in heck they got a guy that did everything so realistically....

JJHH
02-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Not exactly an autograph but this is a 1942 copy of "Get tough" (written by Major Fairbairn) that belonged to Jedburgh and legendary CIA officer Lucien E. Conein.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/7259/29chqz3dotjpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/29chqz3dotjpg/1/w512dotpng (http://g.imageshack.us/img527/29chqz3dotjpg/1/)

commanding
02-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Not exactly an autograph but this is a 1942 copy of "Get tough" (written by Major Fairbairn) that belonged to Jedburgh and legendary CIA officer Lucien E. Conein.

looks like an autograph to me!!! BTW.....I don't have his autograph..but I was surprised to learn that Medal of Honor winner Horace Carswell, whom Carswell Air Force Base was named for, went to school with my mother and she still has her high school annual with his photo in it! (mom will be 92 this year)

dave81
02-19-2009, 10:27 PM
I have MG David Rodriguez...

...oh and Gen Boykin tooHuh. I forgot about those two. I have pictures with each, as well as Gen Boykin's autograph in his book.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50432&d=1211783424

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7871/boykinandmemt3dotjpg (http://imageshack.us)

If I can dig up that picture of me wearing Tommy Franks' top I'll post it.

commanding
02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Huh. I forgot about those two. I have pictures with each, as well as Gen Boykin's autograph in his book.

If I can dig up that picture of me wearing Tommy Franks' top I'll post it.

Wow, there is no competing with you there buddy...those are great photographs...I think you need to photoshop your face a little, it is kind of pinkish. rofl