PDA

View Full Version : aide memoire?

Pollo Pion
06-20-2009, 12:11 PM
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3361/cqbrdotjpg (http://img30.imageshack.us/i/cqbrdotjpg/)

A friend of mine send me that image and told me that US troops usually put this type of advices or table on the buttstock of their weapons. I have seen some images of them with what I suppose is a piece of paper attached to the buttstock but I supposed that the paper was a radio frenquency table, not advices about how to plan an attack or how to ask for a medevac. Is it true that they use that type of advices? If it is true I find it a little weird, they should know this stuff without papers or things like that, shouldn´t they?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Lasse
06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I've atleast heard about "9 Line MEDEVAC (http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/First_Aid/9-line-medevac-request.shtml)".
I think it's just about keeping important things close to you, incase you should be too stressed to remember them.

RAFREGT.
06-20-2009, 12:50 PM
folks keep all sorts of aide memoires on them...a "paper brain" can be handy when you have so much stuff to remember!

B_706K
06-20-2009, 12:50 PM
You never been to say, a building site? The people working on them should know what they are doing but how many signs are up everywhere reminding them what to do/what not to do to avoid accidents or injuries and thats an environment without all the stresses of a firefight. I think its quite forgivable for a soldier to keep some pointers next to him for when he may be tired, stressed, under fire and his or other peoples lives may depend on it.
Its not like they are detailed instructions that'd allow him to perform the actions to take if he didnt know them already, just reminders.
Perhaps its a tool for troops who may be on their first tour, the ones who are likely to flap and possibly forget stuff when things get nasty, but putting them into practise with something like that aide in a real situation will cement the knowledge and allow them to abandon the pointers?
In short I dont really think its a big deal.

GLax
06-20-2009, 02:23 PM
alot of guys keep cheat cards on them. i carry a 9 line medevac card on me with everyone's battle roster nubers on it. i can remember how to do a 9 nine off the top of my head but trying to remember 40 something roster numbers is immpossible.

SpeedyHedgehog
06-20-2009, 02:40 PM
Information cards like those have been in the military for decades. When I was a platoon leader I had a notepad with dozens of those things taped in - everything from calling in artillery to actions during consolidation on an objective. Some I needed, some I didn't, but they were always available.

Also, there are certain actions that are normally the responsibility of NCOs and junior officers. If those individuals become casualties cards like that can be invaluable for soldiers who aren't used to carrying out those duties.

Pollo Pion
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks a lot for your replies. I never thought that this kind of advices are so useful.

Whitcomb
06-20-2009, 11:33 PM
While its a bit different, I know of a lot of guys that I work with (Amusement Park Security) all have cheat sheets with the 10 codes the park uses, status and medical codes on them. Even though we know what they are, it still good to have in case we have a "brain fart"

PhillyMobster
06-21-2009, 03:34 AM
I carried 9-line medevacs and an IED 10 line on the stock of my 203 while in Iraq last year. Pretty helpful when under a degree of pressure.

DID
06-21-2009, 03:59 AM
When I was on the basic training and NCO course in IDF they teach us to make a "Pakal kissim" that mean a pocket bag with all this kind of thing.
how to react in case of NBC attack, how to made first aid on wounded... this is when you have free time you can learn or if you forgot any point of the procedure under fire you can find it without asking by radio or doing nothing.
This kind of paper look useless but they are very important in fact.