PDA

View Full Version : Why do south koreans stand like this?

JohnnyWalker
02-08-2010, 02:07 PM
I have seen these kind of photos for like 15 years at least. Why do they all stand like this? It might be the absolute bestest way to stand ever, I don't know. why are their pants short? Why are they're uniforms so ugly?
http://i46.*******.com/jslh6gdotjpg

Fade
02-08-2010, 02:10 PM
I -think- its a taekwondo stance. Not entirely sure though.

cavsalute
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
To make you ask questions.

I can't think of a name
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
It is a Korean martial arts stance.

Geezah
02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Because it looks kick ****...........

Gleipnir
02-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Because they've got style, they've got flavour

ASTIISA
02-08-2010, 02:34 PM
The stance of these Korean soldiers is known as Taekwondo Ready Stance - Legs wide apart, back straight, head erect, arms at their sides, fists tightly clenched, looking directly ahead.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?158544-Today-s-Pics!-Thursday-June-4th-2009/page2

Panchito12
02-08-2010, 02:35 PM
It's called: "Don't f**k with me. You can think about it, but don't do it."

BearInBunnySuit
02-08-2010, 02:38 PM
I have seen these kind of photos for like 15 years at least. Why do they all stand like this? It might be the absolute bestest way to stand ever, I don't know. why are their pants short? Why are they're uniforms so ugly?
http://i46.*******.com/jslh6gdotjpg

I believe that's called the taekwondo stance and it's pretty tough on the back from what I hear. The pants are not really "short," they are tucked into the boots. And FWIW, the few Korean MPs I've seen in person were quite yummy to look at. :D

goat89
02-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Taekwondo 'Rock-Ready' stance I was told. Its also to be imposing agst their Northern counterparts.

02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
That is the single only stance you ever want to see these guys take - I was at a competition in '98, and the Koreans absolutely cleaned the floor with all other full contact Tae Kwon-Do competitors. They really, really were the most amazing practitioners I ever saw. Any other stance and it means your seconds from getting totally ****ed up.

acg1189
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
That is the single only stance you ever want to see these guys take - I was at a competition in '98, and the Koreans absolutely cleaned the floor with all other full contact Tae Kwon-Do competitors. They really, really were the most amazing practitioners I ever saw. Any other stance and it means your seconds from getting totally ****ed up.

Taekwan do is their national sport and is integrated into their school curriculum. You graduate high school there you pretty much have a black belt.
These guys are freaking insane. My school has this big picture of my 70+ year old grand master breaking 8 concrete bricks during the '88 Olympics (he was 50 something at the time, I can never figure out his actual age).

Connaught Ranger
02-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Taekwan do is their national sport and is integrated into their school curriculum. You graduate high school there you pretty much have a black belt.
These guys are freaking insane. My school has this big picture of my 70+ year old grand master breaking 8 concrete bricks during the '88 Olympics (he was 50 something at the time, I can never figure out his actual age).

So a school big on black belt teaching but poor on math? rofl :lol: woot

KSingh77
02-08-2010, 04:52 PM
It's to scare the crap out of NK and Kimmy Jong

Evolv5
02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
So a school big on black belt teaching but poor on math? rofl :lol: woot

Koreans being crap at math won't be an accurate enough stereotype :|

JohnnyWalker
02-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Excellent, thanks for the answers. I never thought about it being a martial arts stance

Othree52
02-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I think this is the uniform of the border guards at Panmunjom. I'm pretty sure its the old U.S Army uniforms that the Koreans still use on the border.

They use the martial arts stance to intimidate the North Korean guards about 15 feet away..

jcbauerca
02-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I think this is the uniform of the border guards at Panmunjom. I'm pretty sure its the old U.S Army uniforms that the Koreans still use on the border.

They use the martial arts stance to intimidate the North Korean guards about 15 feet away..

I also heard that they pick the tallest guys for border guard duty to really intimidate the N. Koreans. I understand that due to poor nutrition the average N. Korean guard is 5 feet tall while the S. Korean pick guys over 6 feet for that duty.

BearInBunnySuit
02-08-2010, 06:35 PM

No that is totally, totally wrong.

I also heard that they pick the tallest guys for border guard duty to really intimidate the N. Koreans. I understand that due to poor nutrition the average N. Korean guard is 5 feet tall while the S. Korean pick guys over 6 feet for that duty.

I read somewhere that it's the same for USFK. The tall ones get sent to the DMZ.

miguelencanarias
02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Not only that: they use elbow pads in their jackets (not that they need much padding: those guys are rip), wear brutally awesome sunglasses and great uniforms. On the other side of the line, you see those North Koreans with their outdated uniforms.

stevey
02-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Its ROK Ready, ROK= republic of Korea

Nizark
02-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Because they've got style, they've got flavour

HI... Flava

Cobber15-08
02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
If you looked you would find that the soldiers of the North also stand with a taikwondo stance, and they are very much not necessarily shorter than those men from the South.
Google the "Korean peace hut" and check out the photos of those from the North, they have very similar stances very similar heights and weights and so on.

dave81
02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
They pretty much tell you all the info mentioned above ("ROK ready", males over 6ft, intimidate the NKoreans, etc) when you go on the DMZ tour. Over the course of 2 separate one-year tours of duty in Korea I went on the DMZ tour a total of five times in order to see a real live North Korean soldier before I finally saw a bunch of them at once, during a changing of the NK guard on my sixth and final time. I also went twice on two different South Korean versions of the "DMZ Tour", but it's illegal for South Korean citizens to go to the Joint Security Area (the actual borderline where Americans and other foreigners are allowed to go) because it might be "too emotional" for them if they see their Northern "brothers" in person, trapped on the other side of a political border. The closest you can get on the South Korean tour is Paju City, which is where the northernmost train station is, before the track supposedly leads into North Korea, but of course it's the final stop and it doesn't go any further. On the other tour you can go to an observatory and look at North Korean trees through a telescope; it's the closest point (aside from the actual borderline) where the landmasses of North and South Korea almost come together because of a curve in the coastline.

By the way, on one of my visits to the DMZ I pinned a North Korean Kim il-Sung badge onto my uniform and took a picture while over the border in North Korean territory, while posing with a South Korean guard. (The highlight of the tour is that they allow tourists to freely cross the North-South border, but only within the confines of the building where meetings between VIPs take place.)

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2697/patrickdprkxxxdotjpg
It's above the ribbons on my left breast (opposite side of my name tag), and strangely enough, nobody noticed it.

A better view of what the badge looks like:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/442/1996badges1381633idotjpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/i/1996badges1381633idotjpg/)

BlackFlag
02-08-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/FSXaHKPm-3s

The term ROK has dual meaning for these guys. Doesn't move an inch.

Ambassador
02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
Those uniforms are the summer/indoor uniforms of the ROK military police.

In other seasons when working outdoor they wear these ones

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108691

Korean high school graduates can't be bad at math because they can't graduate if they are... and you do learn Taekwondo in high schools but you don't go up until black belts there, no! There are cram schools for that.

Geezah
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
"ROK" Ready, major respect for these guys........

I checked Google and from the pics I could find the NK troops do not prove to visably be as intimidating as the "ROK" Ready guys, although I know they have their moments of being a-holes.

IconOfEvi
02-09-2010, 05:35 AM
I do TKD

Could be chum-bi ("ready stance"), though in the actual stance, the arms go into fists in front of your navel

I gotta give them credit, they have superb breath control

freethinker
02-09-2010, 02:34 PM
I do TKD

Could be chum-bi ("ready stance"), though in the actual stance, the arms go into fists in front of your navel

Yeah that is how i was tought to stand also. Wouldnt want to stand like that for hours though.

7eveN
03-09-2010, 09:47 AM
What are they gonna do next? compare their sizes of the *****es at the DMZ line?
Seriously all this hostility has to stop, it has passed the line of ridiculousness way long ago. Time to grow up both of you Korean leaders.

Ambassador
03-09-2010, 09:55 AM
If you have any better ready stance that we can adapt, we are all ears.

Henry's Fork
03-09-2010, 10:06 AM
They should try some of the cute poses BoA does. Should scare the hell out of the Nor Ko's.

7eveN
03-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Go Bottom less.
That will scare the North Koreans.