PDA

View Full Version : Spetsnaz

specialweapons
05-10-2010, 05:11 PM
There seemingly are many Spetsnaz units and I am aware it is the Russian term for special forces. Could someone explain the difference in the Spetsnaz units are far as responsibilities and capabilities are concerned unless that is asking too much?

Rob1bureau
05-10-2010, 05:15 PM
The following document details the history and duties of some of the Spetsnaz units, especially the KGB ones : Russia's Special Forces (http://studies.agentura.ru/centres/csrc/rsp.pdf). That's a good start IMO.

specialweapons
05-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Was it the GRU which performed very well in Afghanistan?

Rob1bureau
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
----------

Hilbert
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM

You might consult this thread here:
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?5079-Spetsnaz-had-defeated-the-Mujahidden-by-the-summer-of-1986

I'd pay more attention to the first half of the thread, as the later half got kind of watered down with dribble and some people trying to turn it into a photo thread.

BloodyTalon
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
http://tinyurl.com/3alt8nz

specialweapons
05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
You might consult this thread here:
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?5079-Spetsnaz-had-defeated-the-Mujahidden-by-the-summer-of-1986

I'd pay more attention to the first half of the thread, as the later half got kind of watered down with dribble and some people trying to turn it into a photo thread.

Thanks. That Spetsnaz veteran in that thread has a wealth of information.

Jam the man
05-10-2010, 06:34 PM

yes the spetsnaz GRU, the 2 Brigades 22 (Lashkargah) with 4 otriads: 173 Kandahar, 411 Farah (Daulatabad), 186 Shahdjoi and 370 Lashkargah.
and the 15th Brigade: 154 Jalalabad, 334 Asadabad, 668 Baraki barak and 177 Ghazni.

JCR
05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Sptznaz can kill terrorists with backflip axe throws.
They're almost as cool as pirated and ninjas together.

CaptMorgan68
05-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Sptznaz can kill terrorists with backflip axe throws.
They're almost as cool as pirated and ninjas together.

for the 100000000th time that's called 'pokazukha' and is meant as a show for visiting commanders and close relatives or friends attending some mil event.... not meant to showcase any real capability of any sort and is done by privates mostly...... believe me senior members with combat experience from 'group A' or the GRU units seldom engage in such a showmanship.... but then you hear stories from Astan in the eighties where GRU/KGB sf operators were sometimes killing mujaheddin with nails in hand to hand combat so go figure..... maybe that back flip axe throw does come in handy from time to time))))

Corrupt
05-10-2010, 06:57 PM
They provide international training aids via a picture of a guy in a gimp suit leaping over some flames to strike terror into generations of squaddies so they'd listen and get their drills right, lest they be raped by a respirator wearing butch commie.

CaptMorgan68
05-10-2010, 07:07 PM
They provide international training aids via a picture of a guy in a gimp suit leaping over some flames to strike terror into generations of squaddies so they'd listen and get their drills right, lest they be raped by a respirator wearing butch commie.

truth is there is very little visual media of special purpose GRU units and its operatives...

JCR
05-10-2010, 07:08 PM
for the 100000000th time that's called 'pokazukha' and is meant as a show for visiting commanders and close relatives or friends attending some mil event.... not meant to showcase any real capability of any sort and is done by privates mostly...... believe me senior members with combat experience from 'group A' or the GRU units seldom engage in such a showmanship.... but then you hear stories from Astan in the eighties where GRU/KGB sf operators were sometimes killing mujaheddin with nails in hand to hand combat so go figure..... maybe that back flip axe throw does come in handy from time to time))))

I know it is just a cool stunt, but the topic seemed almost as inviting for such answers as the usual 5.56mm threads...;)

Corrupt
05-10-2010, 07:10 PM
truth is there is very little visual media of special purpose GRU units and its operatives...

Thats what I mean. The west had one pic of a guy in a gas mask jumping over some fire:P

CaptMorgan68
05-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I know it is just a cool stunt, but the topic seemed almost as inviting for such answers as the usual 5.56mm threads...;) true..................

CaptMorgan68
05-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Thats what I mean. The west had one pic of a guy in a gas mask jumping over some fire:P

that guy was probably in a chem suit prepping for nuclear or chemical weapons fallout))) again little to do with GRU since they are meant to work it behind the enemy lines deep into enemy territory...

Corrupt
05-10-2010, 07:18 PM
that guy was probably in a chem suit prepping for nuclear or chemical weapons fallout))) again little to do with GRU since they are meant to operate behind the enemy lines deep into enemy territory...

You said, we didnt know very much about their deep infiltration sneaky beaky types.
I said we had one famous picture that appeared in lots of handbooks and briefs and knew nothing muc.
You corrected me saying we didnt know very much?

CaptMorgan68
05-10-2010, 07:19 PM
You said, we didnt know very much about their deep infiltration sneaky beaky types.
I said we had one famous picture that appeared in lots of handbooks and briefs and knew nothing muc.
You corrected me saying we didnt know very much?

yeah pretty much))) with one exception... I was not correcting you I was just reaffirming what you stated)

Corrupt
05-10-2010, 07:24 PM
yeah pretty much))) with one exception... I was not correcting you I was just reaffirming what you stated)

Oooh ok...Reaffirm this :P
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Spetznaz

Bears
Soviet (or Russian) special forces. Made up from fat, smelly, overgrown, bear-eating/vodka-drinking meatheads, these were the elite of the Soviet military establishment. They wrestle with bears, bottle each others' heads, and live on frozen piss... allegedly.

Gimps
Spetznaz training consisted of jumping repeatedly over a bonfire in a gimp suit - or rather that's what the one & only picture available in the West suggested. So prolific was this particular image in the various defence journals of the 1980s, a school of thought arose that suggested that the whole Spetznaz thing was dreamt up to stop squaddies falling asleep on stag, as there was no way anyone wearing such a gay NBC suit could pose any threat to Western civilisation.

Ruperts
The rumour mill went in to overdrive in the 1980s: there were Spetznaz operatives watching you checking vehicles at the main gate, making notes of all the Ruperts you saluted, so they could log their plates and follow them home after work, before slotting them with a Ninja death stare - thus depriving the British Army of one less vital cog in the machine of command, or one less Flight Lieutenant to fly a Jaguar. All very paranoid it was. It might even have been all true!

Village People
There were apparently English villages lovingly recreated in the Ukraine, where Spetznaz operatives could practice their language skills - no doubt ingrained after endless showings of Brief Encounter in the Training Wing. There were Post Offices where these steely-eyed killers could practice cashing their faux Giros. Every aspect of English life was replicated perfectly - apart from trashing everything after eight pints of Stella. This omission of vital skills may well have blown their cover in the real Blighty had push really come to shove.

Carpet Munchers
They were even rumoured to have infiltrated the militant wing of the Lesbo-Fascist 'peace movement', so any one of those unwashed harridans outside Greenham Common or Molesworth could have been a highly-trained Communist assassin watching my every move. Well if they were watching my every move, they must have spotted me cracking one off behind the perimeter floodlights - and there's me thinking I was unnoticed.

After Glasnost
Due to the economic conditions in the former USSR, THEYski now moonlight as bodyguards, debt collectors, organized crime hitmen and the most heavily armed bouncers in civilization (apart from bouncers at clubs near Hereford).

CaptMorgan68
05-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Oooh ok...Reaffirm this :P
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Spetznaz

the list is obviously incomplete... but then laughing about a seemingly removed threat is a sure way of coping with all the trauma and stress resulting from years of living in fear) one has to be careful not to overreach from all the joy though)

CaptMorgan68
05-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I have a qustion ? are the units like Ratnik, Vyatich, Skif, OMSN/ SOBR units ?

AFAIK

Ratnik, Vyatich, Skif, etc are MVD or the Interior Mnistry Armed Forces (OSN VV or Otryad Osobogo Naznacheniya Vnutrennih Voysk) groups... OMSN/SOBR are more like SWAT in terms of their capability and types of threats they are meant to address...