PDA

View Full Version : New book about chechen war written by a former russian sniper

easyand
06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm reading the new book of Nicolai Lilin, a former russian sniper (now he lives in italy) who fought in the second chechen war, it's really amazing, chechnya was a true hell.

An article I've found about the book

Chechnya, the war of ruthless soldier Lilin
A ruthless book that tells a merciless war without prisoners. After the successful debut with the autobiographical novel " Siberian Education , Nicolai Lilin hours dragging your readers into the hell of Chechnya , where he fought for two years military service as a soldier, marksman in a special unit of shock troops. Horror and terror, bombs and human butchery conducted without inconvenient witnesses, without journalists or cameras around. The Chechen war as no one had ever told: from within, from the point of view - deadly as the sights of a sniper rifle - who has suffered every day, inflicting suffering in turn, taking aim and firing to kill.

A hypnotic and disturbing reading, into a spiral of madness everyday without fear, tension and violence: only one possible syntax for reading and hell groped to get out alive, through two years of hallucinations, night parachute jumps, commando actions, cannon fire and friendly fire, torture, summary justice and terrorism military imposed by the Russian Federation to the land where rebel mix "Chechens, Muslims, Afghans, Taliban , terrorists or combatants of any political creed. " Hell blind and brutal, in which conscripts dispatched between the irregular mesh of a face unseen live every day in the company of death, killing to avoid being killed.

"It happens that the senses are transformed, no longer feel the noise around but come to perceive each threat: I feel even see the bullet's path, I saw the bullets fly," says Lilin, that the war had the task of protecting its commander, Captain Nosov, a veteran of Afghanistan, eliminating enemies after they are framed in the telescopic sight: the sniper, the war is the only one who has the "privilege" to observe the victim calmly unaware, looking into her eyes before to pull the trigger.

"The equipment symbolic Lilin - writes the publisher, Einaudi , presenting the book in the library from April 4 - is primarily visual, like that of most of us: no horizons, no ideologies, no complex worldviews. Everything is close through the telescope as a sniper rifle. " Precisely the 'lack of perspective, "he says, for the first time, the brutality of modern war" asymmetrical ", that powerful armies opposed to irregular militia formations, mixed with the civilian population. A war "without politics, without statements, without the theater of the media. But with all the technology available. "

The group of paratroopers saboteurs "told by Lilin is never a definite boundaries, but in the chaos of the front line or behind enemy lines: between the houses, courtyards, on a hillside, sewers or inside a mosque. The enemies are simply "Arabs" as they are called indiscriminately fighters in Chechnya are opposed to the soldiers of the Kremlin, including "the only possible is the primary loyalty toward his companion in the group under siege from the outside world." It kills with weapons potential or high precision, but also with the knife or a gun leaning against the neck. And the body of the enemy to pieces becomes dummy. "Who looks at him to shoot better you have just turned into a breathless, lifeless stone, and now it rests on an aesthetic look. And you understand that man is gone. "

(The book: Nicolai Lilin , " Freefall ", Einaudi , 330 pages, 21 euros).

libriidee.org

FlintHillBilly
06-06-2010, 07:42 PM
What languages is the book in? Seems like a good read and worth picking up.

T-5 Killer
06-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Wow sounds interesting!

Jam the man
06-07-2010, 01:55 AM
sounds interesting, where can I get a copy, and what language is the book in

Hilbert
06-07-2010, 01:58 AM
I really do hope this book is available in english.

easyand
06-07-2010, 03:13 AM
it's in italian but I think it will be translated in english, the last book of this guy (Siberian Education) was translated in 14 languages

T-5 Killer
06-07-2010, 03:49 PM
it's in italian but I think it will be translated in english, the last book of this guy (Siberian Education) was translated in 14 languages
Good news.

JackTheRipper
06-15-2010, 03:04 PM
i'm reading this book... it's pretty good, lots of fights and a good portrait of second chechen war.

but i can not understand in wich unit he is... he call them "saboteurs" and they are part of 76th Airborne division.... never heard before

Russianlynxy
06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
i'm reading this book... it's pretty good, lots of fights and a good portrait of second chechen war.

but i can not understand in wich unit he is... he call them "saboteurs" and they are part of 76th Airborne division.... never heard before

sabateurs are those who are in charge on mining, minesweeping, traps of all sorts, and blowing things up.

also, why former?
once a Russian sniper, always a Russian sniper p-)

JackTheRipper
06-15-2010, 03:11 PM
sabateurs are those who are in charge on mining, minesweeping, traps of all sorts, and blowing things up.

also, why former?
once a Russian sniper, always a Russian sniper p-)

in this book they are described as a unit with much more freedom than others (equipment, uniform, discipline...) is it possible? however, great unit... very effective ;)

Russianlynxy
06-15-2010, 03:17 PM
is it possible?

sure, sabateurs and engineers were always valued in special units. They are the only people who know how to properly handle explosives and their ability to take down strategic objectives or protect them often determined the outcome of the operation.

They are given the freedom to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

tea drinker
06-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I read Arkady Babchenko's account, it was interesting, though this book By Nicolai Lilin sounds more meaty.

JackTheRipper
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
sure, sabateurs and engineers were always valued in special units. They are the only people who know how to properly handle explosives and their ability to take down strategic objectives or protect them often determined the outcome of the operation.

They are given the freedom to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

ok thanks, so they are part of the divisional engineer unit? the character in this book is a member of 76th VDV division.

i'm asking this because some journalists in Italy (actually from a very poor newspaper) suspected that this book it's fake.... i'm reading and until now it's a realistic read... the only thing not clear is this unity of saboteurs. now is clear, thanks ;)

JohnnyWalker
06-15-2010, 04:52 PM
what is the book called? I can't find it, that website is unavailable. amazon doesn't have it either.

Mastermind
06-15-2010, 05:01 PM
The base dread of true war. I think it is odd how fascinating we all are, even the pacifists, with the stories of the factual brutality of total war.

I think it is our deep set human inquisitiveness about our own souls...How far will any of us go if we are put in the same situation?

I would like to get a copy of this veteran's book.

shiftypowpow
06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
what is the book called? I can't find it, that website is unavailable. amazon doesn't have it either.

Nicolai Lilin - Free Fall

You will have to wait awhile for it to be translated into other languages.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=ISBN+9788806200633&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=22885a39cf464f2b

JohnnyWalker
06-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Nicolai Lilin - Free Fall

You will have to wait awhile for it to be translated into other languages.

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=ISBN+9788806200633&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=22885a39cf464f2b

oooohhhh man only in Italian??????????

JackTheRipper
06-15-2010, 05:30 PM
oooohhhh man only in Italian??????????

Lilin lives in Italy ;)

but last book was translate in 14 languages, so easly even Freefall will be translated.

just wait few months ;)

shiftypowpow
06-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Luckily for me, I read Russian, about 20 books a month.

I'm sure your vast knowledge of the Russian language will prove useful when reading a book printed in Italian.

JohnnyWalker
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm sure your vast knowledge of the Russian language will prove useful when reading a book printed in Italian.

yes, notice my change in my reply

artjomh
06-15-2010, 05:34 PM

No, you are confusing saboteur with sapper. A sapper is in charge of EOD and demolition work. A saboteur (diversant) is a kind of special forces operator who can work as part of a reconnaisance group behind enemy lines or on the FEBA threshhold.

JackTheRipper
06-16-2010, 06:19 AM
this is the structure of 76th Guards Airborne Division:

23rd Guards Airborne Regiment
104th Guards Airborne Regiment
234th Guards Airborne Regiment
1140th Guards Artillery Regiment
4th Air Defence Regiment

107th Air Defence Battalion
165th Air Defence Battalion

656th Engineer Battalion
728th Signal Battalion
7th Maintenance Battalion
242nd Military Transport Aviation Squadron
3996th Airmobile Hospital

in which unit saboteur are? if they're not members of engeneer...

maybe the organigram is changed from 1999-2000 period

Jam the man
06-16-2010, 06:27 AM
this is the structure of 76th Guards Airborne Division:

23rd Guards Airborne Regiment
104th Guards Airborne Regiment
234th Guards Airborne Regiment
1140th Guards Artillery Regiment
4th Air Defence Regiment

107th Air Defence Battalion
165th Air Defence Battalion

656th Engineer Battalion
728th Signal Battalion
7th Maintenance Battalion
242nd Military Transport Aviation Squadron
3996th Airmobile Hospital

mmm, am I right that every VDV division has its own independant recce company or battalion?

tommy00
06-16-2010, 06:37 AM

Sappers term western equivalent should be (combat)pioneers....A unit of thouse should be a part of every infantry fieldunit..

andy_ita
08-09-2010, 03:01 PM
i read the book.. and i found really really good...
realistic.. but fantastic

sgtfcm
05-21-2011, 05:55 AM
The background of the author is controversial. There is actually no evidence that what he wrote is an autobiography or what he passes as such is true. he has been exposed already a couple of times by journalists and TV hosts. The man indeed is brilliant but reminds me more Sven Hassel rather than an ex convict, sniper and contractor as he suggests.
sure he made alot of money out of this and by his tattooist works. Many people want now to be tattoed by a real siberian bad guy and bear the "urka" marks. Interestingly none of his books have been translated in russian,moldav or ucrainian, amongst the 14 editions. Interesting uh?

Sashko
05-21-2011, 08:47 AM
The background of the author is controversial. There is actually no evidence that what he wrote is an autobiography or what he passes as such is true. he has been exposed already a couple of times by journalists and TV hosts. The man indeed is brilliant but reminds me more Sven Hassel rather than an ex convict, sniper and contractor as he suggests.
sure he made alot of money out of this and by his tattooist works. Many people want now to be tattoed by a real siberian bad guy and bear the "urka" marks. Interestingly none of his books have been translated in russian,moldav or ucrainian, amongst the 14 editions. Interesting uh?

Author is definately very sketchy. An excon in an army recce unit? I don't think so...

The fact that his books have never made it in Russian language is another huge red flag.

For honest accounts about the war I'd go to Artofwar.ru and skip this Lilin character altogether.

Bauer_CTU
06-19-2013, 05:51 AM
My apologies for the necropost. I've nearly finished reading this book, and it has been a fascinating read.

However, one or two points, if I may:

sgtfcm wrote of some possible fictionality in the account. One or two events seemed kind of far-fetched. I don't know, they may have occurred (I've heard of more bizarre things), such as when Nosov cut into an 'Arab's' chest and sliced out a caricature of a bat (the unit's emblem).

Also, if 'saboteurs' are a recce unit, then what the 'explorers'? I kept on thinking of Daniel Boone or 18th century North American frontiersmen lol

Carbean
06-19-2013, 06:01 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/when-does-a-soldiers-memoir-count-as-fact-and-when-as-fiction-2335945.html

coltfan111
06-19-2013, 06:03 AM
I read Arkady Babchenko's account, it was interesting, though this book By Nicolai Lilin sounds more meaty. The book by Babchenko was pretty intense at times. I quite liked it.

Bauer_CTU
06-19-2013, 06:08 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/when-does-a-soldiers-memoir-count-as-fact-and-when-as-fiction-2335945.html

Thanks, Carbean. Wish I had read that article before shelling out some $35AUD lol

sgtfcm
06-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Hi,

he admitted that some episodes in Freefall were fictional. However my comment was more wide. Some russian journalists actually investigated some of the stories on Siberian Education and the criminal community he wrote about. They even went to visit the village. Nobody heard of them. They remember Lilin though. Like a clever guy and good student. His the kind of guy who split the audience in two : those who are true believers (he is a tattoo artist and many people go to him to have "real" tattoo criminal of mafia" tats ) and those who DON'T believe he's real. Take your side :)

My apologies for the necropost. I've nearly finished reading this book, and it has been a fascinating read.

However, one or two points, if I may:

sgtfcm wrote of some possible fictionality in the account. One or two events seemed kind of far-fetched. I don't know, they may have occurred (I've heard of more bizarre things), such as when Nosov cut into an 'Arab's' chest and sliced out a caricature of a bat (the unit's emblem).

Also, if 'saboteurs' are a recce unit, then what the 'explorers'? I kept on thinking of Daniel Boone or 18th century North American frontiersmen lol

GattoNero
06-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Lilin is a liar and a faker, dont buy his *****

Bauer_CTU
06-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi,

he admitted that some episodes in Freefall were fictional. However my comment was more wide. Some russian journalists actually investigated some of the stories on Siberian Education and the criminal community he wrote about. They even went to visit the village. Nobody heard of them. They remember Lilin though. Like a clever guy and good student. His the kind of guy who split the audience in two : those who are true believers (he is a tattoo artist and many people go to him to have "real" tattoo criminal of mafia" tats ) and those who DON'T believe he's real. Take your side :)

That's the last time I heed a review from The Weekend Australian magazine lol (well, they only really included a few pages excerpt from the book).

I do kind of regret buying the book now. I could have bought a title written by an honest bloke. Oh well, you live and learn.

Carbean
06-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks, Carbean. Wish I had read that article before shelling out some $35AUD lol
I was going to buy it to haha

Bauer_CTU
06-19-2013, 10:27 AM
^^
:lol: It does make for a good read. It's just those sorts of parts that make you kind of go 'naahhh'.

------

What is a good read on Chechnya from both a soldier's perspective or the conflict in general, readily available from Amazon?

DasVivo
06-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Movie Trailer for "Siberian Education" with John Malkovich has been released, given its literary basis however I would not recommend it for anyone looking for anything factual..