PDA

View Full Version : 1942 - Assassination of Reinhard Heydrich

2RHPZ
05-28-2011, 06:16 AM
I wish to remind the folks that 69 years ago the justice had been served to Reinhard Heydrich ...

Wikipedia - Heydrich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhard_Heydrich)

Universals
05-28-2011, 06:17 AM
"Operation day Break" nice movie

BLUE THOR
05-28-2011, 10:12 AM
The bastard needed to go. Purely evil. Glad he didnt make it to his next posting.

RIP the village who copped it in retailation.

Hollos
05-28-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm glad he took a few days to die a very painful death, Hope his victims can Rip

rgjbloke
05-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm hoping he has been rotting in hell all these years. Rest in Peace to his victims and to those who lost their lives because of his death.

Mordoror
05-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Some rumors said that the "grenade" that hurt him was tipped with tetanos or anthrax bacterias, the infection leading to death.
Anybody has more infos about that ?

nemowork
05-28-2011, 09:40 PM
No, the car was fitted with leather seats stuffed with horse hair. The grenade blew fragments of the seat into his internal organs, either his spleen or liver and the horse hair caused blood poisoning.

BroCalFur01
05-29-2011, 06:12 AM
Some rumors said that the "grenade" that hurt him was tipped with tetanos or anthrax bacterias, the infection leading to death.
Anybody has more infos about that ?

He died with his intestines hanging pout. Because of the expolsion filling material of the seat (horse hair) got into his body causing a sepsis. He got the well-deserved slow death.

Mordoror
05-29-2011, 08:10 AM
@nemo and BroCal
Thanks for the input, didn't knew that detail

nemowork
05-29-2011, 09:13 AM
There was a story going round a few years ago that the anti-tank grenade used had been adjusted by the sneaky types at SOE to include an anthrax or similar biological weapon instead of part of the explosive, i think it was started because Heydrich recovered from his initial surgery and seemed to be lucid and fit for a few days then went into shock and died.

Thats where the 'mystery informant' from Q department comes in, claiming it was him that built adjusted the No.73 grenade. Another pet theory is that Heydrich kept obsessive notes on everyone in the Nazi party and Himmler had him poisoned to keep his own dirty laundry private or to get the dirt on other party members or...you get the idea, Heydrich and his execution were big celebrity news, it attracts its share of pet theories, cranks and imaginative story tellers.

The best theory is still that an anti-tank grenade was thrown at his car and went off underneath demolishing the rear right section and blasting everything from grenade fragments, seat springs, road dirt and horse hair into him. He was a big strong guy, Olympic class athlete and all so he fought and lingered for a while but then septicaemia got him with the probable culprit being the dirt engrained in the horse hair.

Of coure it might have helped if they could find a surgeon to operate on him early enough, the Nazi heirarchy were unsure of letting a czech near him with a knife, the czechs were terrified of being asked to volunteer in case he died in surgery and there were reprisals against their families and Himmler wsa insisting his own private surgeon was flown in, which solved the local guys problems with responsibility but delayed surgery even more.

Incoherent
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
I remember reading as late as mid-2000s that a Czech man committed suicide due to guilt associated with betrayal of the parachutists.

[WDW]Megaraptor
06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
The sheer amount of courage on the part of the assassins still stuns me whenever I think about it.

It's one thing to fight in a situation like the Warsaw Ghetto where you know you're going to end up dead either way. But it's another to do something like this, where you don't have to. They had a choice...they chose to go back into the Czech Republic and bring down one of the most powerful members of the Third Reich.

As for Heydrich himself, the actor that played him in Conspiracy said he was the most disturbing character he had ever portrayed in a film, because "he seemed to have nothing inside of him."

Connaught Ranger
06-01-2011, 04:22 AM
There was a story going round a few years ago that the anti-tank grenade used had been adjusted by the sneaky types at SOE to include an anthrax or similar biological weapon instead of part of the explosive, i think it was started because Heydrich recovered from his initial surgery and seemed to be lucid and fit for a few days then went into shock and died.

Thats where the 'mystery informant' from Q department comes in, claiming it was him that built adjusted the No.73 grenade. Another pet theory is that Heydrich kept obsessive notes on everyone in the Nazi party and Himmler had him poisoned to keep his own dirty laundry private or to get the dirt on other party members or...you get the idea, Heydrich and his execution were big celebrity news, it attracts its share of pet theories, cranks and imaginative story tellers.

The best theory is still that an anti-tank grenade was thrown at his car and went off underneath demolishing the rear right section and blasting everything from grenade fragments, seat springs, road dirt and horse hair into him. He was a big strong guy, Olympic class athlete and all so he fought and lingered for a while but then septicaemia got him with the probable culprit being the dirt engrained in the horse hair.

Of coure it might have helped if they could find a surgeon to operate on him early enough, the Nazi heirarchy were unsure of letting a czech near him with a knife, the czechs were terrified of being asked to volunteer in case he died in surgery and there were reprisals against their families and Himmler wsa insisting his own private surgeon was flown in, which solved the local guys problems with responsibility but delayed surgery even more.

In bold is FACT not theory.

As for the microbiological grenade fantasy if such grenades were developed, survived construction conditions and a transport para drop into enemy territory, then the associated conditions of being clandestinely carried before use, they would have been in widespread use through the S.O.E. world in occupied Europe.

ferguson
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
The Nazis exacted a heavy toll for his killing.

Infection was still a big killer in those days.

I'm sure the grenade was simply to blow him up.
The lingering death was just a bonus.

nemowork
06-02-2011, 07:44 PM
In bold is FACT not theory.

As for the microbiological grenade fantasy if such grenades were developed, survived construction conditions and a transport para drop into enemy territory, then the associated conditions of being clandestinely carried before use, they would have been in widespread use through the S.O.E. world in occupied Europe.

I just meant that since there wasnt an autopsy performed to modern standards just the opinion of the doctors involved it can't ever be 100% certain, but they were the closest and best informed source. Now if they'd had Dr Quincy M.e. on hand maybe there'd be a more detailed opinion and somebody on the german side would have thought to test the grenade splinters for biological weapons. I know they dropped with 2 grenades, i can't remember if they only used one and the other was discarded, surely if it was some secret weapon the Nazi science and forensic types would have noticed when they were checking for fingerprints or other clues of origin that it had been adapted?

Oh and slightly related it looks like the czechs have a Lidice movie coming out this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoEVH175zvE

Since i don't speak czech i'll have to take other peoples opinions on whether its any good, the trailer is...less than impressive

JJHH
06-04-2011, 02:21 PM
One of SOE's greatest achievements.

RIP Jan Kubiš and Jozef Gabčík.

Rearlugs
06-05-2011, 12:42 PM
The Sten gun used in the attack still exists: after the fall of Communism it turned up in the archives of the security service, where it had apparently been left during the departure of the Gestapo in 1945. The Sten was returned to UK, and is now in the Army weapons collection at Warminster.

Contrary to many accounts, the Sten did not jam when it was fired. What had happened was that Gabcik had removed the Sten's butt to make it more concealable, not realising that the butt was necessary to retain the main bolt spring (it was lightly held in by a small metal cap). The first shot popped the main spring out of the back of the gun, rendering it inoperable (in the Gestapo photos of the scene, the Sten is seen lying on the ground with the spring hanging out). This incident led UK to produce the Sten "pistol grip" - ie a grip without the shoulder struts - that was then included with Stens dropped to resistance groups in Europe.