PDA

View Full Version : Airborne Units

stryker182
09-23-2003, 02:53 AM
How many AIRBORNE units does the Army have ,Do they still have Air Cav units like in Vietnam ,if so do you need to be Airborne qualified to join.

96B
09-23-2003, 04:41 AM
There are only two actual Airborne Divisions - 101st "Screaming Eagles" out of Fort Campbell, Kentucky and the 82nd "All American" out of Fort Bragg, NC. To my knowledge, the other "Airborne" units are 18th Airborne Corps, 71st Airborne Brigade, and the 173rd Airborne Brigade.

Gringo
09-23-2003, 04:55 AM
The 101st Airborne Division isn't an airborne Division anymore. It's role is Air Assault now, the reason it's still got it's Airborne title is cause of it's traditional or something like that.
I could be wrong about this.

stryker182
09-23-2003, 07:00 AM
So the 101st is an Air Assault which means they attack from helicopters and the 82nd deploy from Aeroplanes into combat.

So does this mean that the 101st is a Air Caverly unit.

ShotOver
09-23-2003, 07:20 AM
101st Assults with Ah-64's, Blackhawks and MH-47's, they land or rope down on stuff, that is their main job at the moment.

The 7th Cavalry (Yellow With Black horse head) is in Korea at the moment(i think), i saw some Bradleys, so it may be a mech division now.

But dont quote me on that stuff.

burnt by the sun
09-23-2003, 09:49 AM
i believe they still call the 101st airborne cuz they concider AA still airborne... not to sure but thats what i've heard. could be worng.

optactical
09-23-2003, 10:54 AM
These are all the army units that are qualified for airborne infiltration (static line jumping), I do not know all (numeric) designations since many have changed over the years.

82nd Airborne Division (AA: All American Division)
75th Ranger Regiment
There is one brigade in Alaska (designation unknown)
There is one brigade in Italy (designation unknown)
1/501 JRTC Opfor
LRS-D in and Army division
LRS-C in any Army Corps
Special Forces
Psychological Operations
Pathfinder units (if still exist, last checked 98)
SOCOM

These units include all support elements, ie: non-combat arms related MOS's that work for the same unit.

18th Airborne Corps includes: 10th mountain division (non-airborne), 101st Air Assault Division (non-airborne) and I believe the 3rd ID (non-airborne), but don't quote me on it.

The 101st (Screaming Eagles, not AA) has not been Airborne since Vietnam, they lost their status due to excessive non-qualified replacements while in country. They still do wear an Airborne tab on their unit designation, this is nothing but window dressing. You do not have to be Airborne to be in the 101, or Air Assault qualified either. They do have one of the biggest helicopter fleets in the world, and this is their primary mode of transport, but they are not considered air cavalry. Air Cavalry no longer exists per se, all cavalry units traded their helos for tanks and now ride into battle in Bradleys supported by Abrams'.

One last thing before the question is asked: You do not have to be in an Airborne or Air Assault division to assault in helos, all infantry units can do it. The 25th (light) and 10th (light, mountain) do it constantly, they just do not have the organic assets that the 101st has, and last I checked lack the Apache support which is organic to the 101, 82nd and all Cav divisions.

Deuterium
09-23-2003, 11:14 AM
SOCOM is not an Army unit. It has Army personnel assigned to it but it is one of the seven Unified commands, more properly called a joint unit. USASOC was probably what you were hunting for.
Also don't forget 1-507 at Benning (airborne school)
101st Airborne Division(Air Assault) is the official title not Screaming Eagles
There are also Corp level Rigger units that are ABN "q".

optactical
09-23-2003, 11:43 AM
Thanks Deuterium, I winged that reply off the top of my head. The Screaming Eagles reference wasn't meant to be part of the title, I was using a nickname that civilians could identify with.

I was going to address the 18th AC support elements, but left it out, I have never served there so am fairly uninformed on that unit.

On the other hand the USASOC misquote is unforgiveable :bash: , being in SF they are my command, case of beer on me :D !!!

Deuterium
09-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Cool Beans. Yeah funny story about the 101st. I went to jump school in 84 right out of AIT. I had orders on hand for the 101st when I showed up at Benning. One of the first things they did was have a big briefing on the 82nd. The head guy stands up after the movie presentation and said "any of you guys out there that don't have orders to an Airborne assignment and want one come see me. I can change your orders." Well I had orders to 101st ABN division. It was closer to my home town so I said screw that. At the end of Jump school we all put on our berets(yeah back then you EARNED your beret, it wasn't issued to you!!!!). I had on a 101st ABN patch, a red beret, and low quarters. Not one black-hat sad a damn thing, those sons of *****es. I wasn't the only one either, three others were on orders for FTCKY. Well we graduate and get on a bus for Campbell. We show up at the repo station at Oh-dark thirty and the head guy takes one look at the three of us in berets and low quarters and just goes plain PT nazi on us. Ahhh the memories.

Apogee
09-23-2003, 01:30 PM
1-507th is actually part of the 11th Infantry Training Regiment (Airborne).
The 172nd Seperate Brigade is in Alaska, although only one RGT (Geranimo) is an Airborne unit.
The 173rd Seperate Brigade is in Italy and the entire Brigade is Airborne.

TheHoleInMyChest
09-23-2003, 02:14 PM
1st battalion, 501st parachute infantry regiment in alaska...wouldn't mind serving there

NcDeuce
09-23-2003, 04:00 PM
101st Assults with Ah-64's, Blackhawks and MH-47's, they land or rope down on stuff, that is their main job at the moment.

The 101st do not use MH-47's. They do fly the Black Hawks, Apaches, Longbows, Kiowas, and CH-47 Chinook.

Yes, the 101st is known as the Air Assault division, however, they conduct parachute drops all the time.

kapral
09-23-2003, 04:26 PM
Optactical, the Brigade in Italy is 173rd ABD

optactical
09-23-2003, 06:20 PM

The 101st do not use MH-47's. They do fly the Black Hawks, Apaches, Longbows, Kiowas, and CH-47 Chinook.

Yes, the 101st is known as the Air Assault division, however, they conduct parachute drops all the time.

I am sitting here next to a captain from the 101st and have just been assured that only 35 people in that division are on jump status: The DC, ADCO, G3 and LRS-D. However there are airborne units on Campbell that you may be talking about. But the division does not do mass attacks or anything of that nature :D .

Apogee
09-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah the only guys that I worked with who were even Airborne qualified from the 101st were LTs who got it while they were at Benning for IOBC. But they def we're not on jump status.

Uncle Sam
09-24-2003, 12:11 AM
EightyDuece on the loose... :D

It's Mass Tacs...just to let you know

Not everyone in the 101st is Airborne qualified.

$tĮТHϿ
09-24-2003, 02:42 AM
I remeber back in the day canadian forces had an airborne ....what were they called again does anyone know

Dominique
09-24-2003, 06:53 AM
The only units at the 101st that are on jump status are the LRSD, the Pathfinder Co., the Air Assault School Cadre, the air delivery platoon from the quartermaster co., and the Airborne Advance Team from the 101st Signal Bn.

Individual soldiers are airborne qualified, but they don't jump.

The airborne brigade in Italy is the 173rd Airborne Brigade. There's only one airborne battalion in Alaska. It's part of the 172rd Infantry Brigade.

other units:

USASOCOM (PSYOPS, Civil Affairs, Special Forces, 75th Ranger Regiment, 160th SOAR, Delta, ISA, Special Operations Support Command, etc.)

Long Range Surveillance Units (LRSD, LRSC)

Pathfinders (101st Abn. (AA), 17th Aviation Brigade, 18th Aviation Brigade).

There are also quartermaster units (parachute riggers).

burnt by the sun
09-24-2003, 07:47 AM
so they still pathfinders huh. are the 101st the only unit that still has them?

10thvet
09-24-2003, 08:27 AM
ahhhh USMA_Scuba you have part of it right.

the 173rd Infantry Units are airborne (1-508th and 2-503). The BDE HQ is airborne desiganted but has unqualified soldiers in it... The Support BN which rounds out the whole 173rd BDE also has a lot and I mean a lot of non airborne soldiers but they only have so many jump slots to fill anyway...

*****Disclaimer*****I was a PSG there and on the Bn Staff till march 2001 so I do know what I talk about, but things have changed in the last 2 years

Apogee
09-24-2003, 08:42 AM
10th - the reason I heard that they only had one Airborne Battalion now was that the other bat had been converted into a Styker Battalion. But you still may be right. I'm hoping to post there when I graduate from here, would you reccomend it?

10thvet
09-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Well you can never go wrong with being in an Airborne Infantry unit for your first posting... and Italy is a great posting and you can see Europe But there are a few things that you need to think about(things may have changed since I left but I doubt it)
1) there are very limited slots in Italy Infantry PL. they may put you on staff for up to 8 months and then send you to line PL for as little as 4 months. after your first year there you will more than likey become an XO. this happened to my PL when I got him in the Plt.I had him for one field problem
2) Italy's major training area is in Germany and you go to twice a year. There are a few training areas in Italy, but those are a MAJOR pain in the ass to schedule.
3) you get about 4-8 jumps a year and thats just not enough to get profiecent in the air(wheter you have jump duties or just a jumper) Julillet DZ is a nice flat comfortable DZ.

Thats about it for right now
Check out the link on the bottom

http://www.173abnbde.setaf.army.mil/

Deuterium
09-24-2003, 02:43 PM
The only units at the 101st that are on jump status are the LRSD, the Pathfinder Co., the Air Assault School Cadre, the air delivery platoon from the quartermaster co., and the Airborne Advance Team from the 101st Signal Bn.

The airborne brigade in Italy is the 173rd Airborne Brigade. There's only one airborne battalion in Alaska. It's part of the 172rd Infantry Brigade.

other units:

USASOCOM (PSYOPS, Civil Affairs, Special Forces, 75th Ranger Regiment, 160th SOAR, Delta, ISA, Special Operations Support Command, etc.)

When did the Signal BN in the 101st change to the 101st Sig BN. I thought it wa the 501st Signal BN.

USASOCOM is not an army unit. USASOC is the Army command for SPec Ops. There are some other units in your post that are also not in USASOC.

TheHoleInMyChest
09-24-2003, 03:39 PM
is it too late to report back to meps and try to get 82nd abn or any other unit i want on my contract? or is it to late since i already signed it. im just wondering cuz i'd hate to be a leg in some mech unit.

Deuterium
09-24-2003, 06:20 PM
When you get into AIT put in a DA4187 to go to jump school. They may even ask for volunteers. When your in jumpschool ask to get assigned to the 82nd.

TheHoleInMyChest
09-24-2003, 06:51 PM
oh yeah...my MOS: 11x1 inf recruit, US Army airborne training committed
i believe that's OSUT? but thanks for the reply i'll be sure to ask my recruiter for more info.

10thvet
09-25-2003, 02:06 AM
osut = One Station Unit training.... That is Ft Benning... You go from Basic training to AIT and wont even notice the change.
Dont hold your breath about going to jump school without it in your contract(atleast out of basic and AIT). You can always try it but I give it less than a 5% chance of happening... get it in your contract before you leave

stryker182
09-25-2003, 02:47 AM
So if you want to be in an AIRBORNE division then you apply to be assingned to the 82nd, after BASIC then do you go off to jump school if you wish to join a AIRBORNE divison

Also can you join a RANGER battlion when you enlist or do you have to wait until your AIRBORNE qualified.

TheHoleInMyChest
09-25-2003, 03:40 AM
a buddy of mine is going to RIP(Ranger Indoctrine Program), got it in his contract. but i think a ranger liason goes the airborne school near the end and asks for volunteers for RIP....correct me if im wrong...

10thvet
09-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Do not bet on having RIP come over to Airborne school.. Even if he did there is no guarantee that you will be able to see him.

If you want it then get it in writting before you go or it will not happen

Deuterium
09-25-2003, 03:32 PM
I don't know about 5% but it's how I did it. I put a 4187 in during AIT(OSUT for you) and I went to jump school. Talk to your drills (at an opportune time) after you start training.

Dominique
09-25-2003, 05:01 PM

other units:

When did the Signal BN in the 101st change to the 101st Sig BN. I thought it wa the 501st Signal BN.

USASOCOM is not an army unit. USASOC is the Army command for SPec Ops. There are some other units in your post that are also not in USASOC.

Oooops...need to read over my posts a little more carefully before I hit the submit key. I threw in Delta/CAG & ISA under USASOC insted of JSOC for easy reference.

Shardik
09-27-2003, 02:45 AM
Do not bet on having RIP come over to Airborne school.. Even if he did there is no guarantee that you will be able to see him.

If you want it then get it in writting before you go or it will not happen

Amen, they can promise you the world but if it's not in the contract it's not worth the paper it's (not) printed on. Generally recruiters will give away 11X slots with Airborne/Ranger options (and 18X too) jsut to get you in the Army. As long as you're in if you fail, quite, get hurt, whatever, it doesn't matter - he has made his quota. Bear in mind that unless you have unit of choice you can end up anywhere, regardless of Airborne or not. There are a lot of five jump chumps in "leg-land" who thought they were going to be falling out of airplanes over exotic lands but ended up in the 2nd ID or even in the "shudder" $1.97 Infantry. :bash:

walford
09-28-2003, 03:33 AM
I watched with rapt attention the 600min series "Band of Brothers" that HBO produced about the 101st during WWII. It was chock full of realistic re-enactments and included interviews with actual vets such as Richard Winters who has a chest full of well-earned medals. What do you real soldiers think of it?
http://www.hbo.com/band/landing/currahee.html

My wife's father [now deceased] and her neighbor landed at Omaha Beach at D-Day. They were quiet, humble men who considered themselves lucky, not heroes.

God bless all of you in uniform, especially those who are in units that tend to be deployed in combat first.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, I'm getting emotional....