PDA

View Full Version : 4,6 mm H&K P46 (UCP) pistol

REMOV
11-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Source (http://www.hkpro.com/p46.htm[/url)

http://www.hkpro.com/p46.jpg
The new HK P46, still likely not in final production form, bears significant resemblance to the P2000 series pistol. With removable grip size panels like the P2000 series, fully ambidextrous slide and magazine release, the similarity is remarkable.

Newest on the HK handgun scene appears to be the HK UCP or Ultimate Combat Pistol. According to the excellent Jane's Infantry Weapons, this handgun design commenced in 2002 as a follow on to the MP7 project, completing the HK Close Range Weapon System. HK requested that the German Army Matériel Command type classify this pistol, and thus the designation P46.

According to this document, obtained by HKPRO.COM, there is also a subcompact version under development.

The P46 is a self-loading pistol with a delayed blowback system, is fully ambidextrous, to include magazine, and slide release and features a MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) interface on the frame for mounting all the usual accoutrements.

Interestingly, the P46 "is fitted with a modular trigger system which allows a change of trigger/hammer configurations and trigger weights." Use with Brügger and Thomet suppressor is planned, and a longer threaded barrel and higher profile sights will be extant.

Storm_Trooper
11-04-2004, 05:24 PM
HK has the same sheme as the FN Herstal.

They built a PDW with a new cartridge (like the P90 and the 5.7x28) and then they build a new pistol with tha same new cartridge(like the Five seveN)
It's just marketing.
I'm sure it will be a new strong rival for the Five seveN pistol !!
May the best win.

dacanadianbomb
11-05-2004, 04:48 AM
When it comes to handguns, why would you want to go even lower than 5.7 X 28 ?

Storm_Trooper
11-05-2004, 05:54 AM
For those who are interrested in the "nearly new" caliber from the FN and HK here is a Belgian site( in french, but not to much to read, lot of pics)

FN<>HK (http://users.belgacom.net/jm.armes/PDW-menu.htm)

Little J
11-05-2004, 06:09 AM
HK has the same sheme as the FN Herstal.

They built a PDW with a new cartridge (like the P90 and the 5.7x28) and then they build a new pistol with tha same new cartridge(like the Five seveN)
It's just marketing.
I'm sure it will be a new strong rival for the Five seveN pistol !!
May the best win.

Surely its only logical that if you build a PDW in a new calibre, then you'd do a handgun in said calibre for commonality. I know I would if I was running the company

AVZ
11-05-2004, 06:25 AM
But the magazines are not exchangeable, are they??

dacanadianbomb
11-05-2004, 06:36 AM
Sorry, I shoul dhave clarified , what I said. I meant from a usefullness aspect. Marketting wise, its purely natural.
4,6-> 0.18 cal?
I guess it would be a handy thing for close up work.Easily silenced too.

But I really have no clue whether thats true or not.

MolliG
11-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Glad to see it has not turned out too 'glocky' as with the earlier prototype. :)

RS_Leo1A5
11-05-2004, 08:04 AM
But the magazines are not exchangeable, are they??
The UCP seems to have a differently shaped grip than the MP7. I doubt that the curved MP7 mags would fit.

Catch22
11-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Nope - I checked on MP7 scale technical drawing - short, 20rnds mag for it has a diffrent bottom plate than UCP magazine (which resembles rather one for Mk23). Curvature of 20 rnd mag is very slight, bit more visible on 40rnd mag so it wouldnt be such a problem to fit it into more angled grip. Im bit surprised - I expected them to be interchangeable - that would give HK some advantage over FN PDW set.

hedgehog
11-06-2004, 05:03 AM
Does anyone have a comparison chart between the 4.6mm, 9mm, 10mm, 44, 45, and 5.2mm (for the P90 ?) and their relative effectiveness, range etc?

Tributal
11-06-2004, 10:16 AM
It would be nice to have a SOCOM laying next to it for size comparison. As is it looks a lot like the SOCOM which is TOO f-ing big for most people.

DmL5
11-06-2004, 02:45 PM
Does anyone have a comparison chart between the 4.6mm, 9mm, 10mm, 44, 45, and 5.2mm (for the P90 ?) and their relative effectiveness, range etc?

Testing done by NATO has shown the 5.7mm to give better performance than the 4.6mm.

I have the official report if anyone wants it. It seems pretty pointless for HK to continue chambering their guns in 4.6mm when it is known to be inferior. :|

maw
11-06-2004, 05:44 PM
i've seen a comparison chart somewhere. basically it has the penetration of a 9mm (115 gr ball), but with no fragmentation. if i recall muzzle energy transfer was similar but in a smaller hole... waste of time (imho).
going down to 4.6 is not the way to go. might as well pack a bb gun.
if you want to make holes in armor there are 9mm ap rounds out there.

Michael RVR
11-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Everything about the 4.6mm annoys the crap out of me.
That said, FN being restrictive on rights to produce the 5.7 and associated weapons hasn't helped.

FN has won the competitions, and has adoption of many nations - personally i think the 4.6 is the Germans trying to stick it up FN.

:bash: