PDA

View Full Version : France: Anti-Nuclear Protester Dies as Train Cuts Off Legs

BlackRain
11-07-2004, 04:15 PM
France: Anti-Nuclear Protester Dies as Train Cuts Off Legs

http://www.*******.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=6736408

By Gilbert Reilhac
STRASBOURG, France (*******) - An anti-nuclear activist died in France on Sunday after having a leg cut off by a train transporting nuclear waste to Germany, France's SNCF railway operator said.

"The driver noticed a group of people sitting on the tracks. Some of them got up. He pulled the emergency brake, but one of the people remained sitting, and one of his legs was cut off and he has died," a spokeswoman for SNCF said.

The accident happened close to the town of Avricourt in eastern France in a section where the railway tracks curve through the forest, the SNCF said.

The train had left Valognes in northern France on Saturday and was heading to the storage facility in the German village of Gorleben.

Anti-nuclear activists protesting against such shipments have clashed violently with police in previous years. In 2002, protesters disrupted the passage of the train by setting tyres alight on the tracks and chaining themselves to the rails.

In the northern German town of Dannenberg, where the casks of radioactive material were to be loaded on to lorries and driven a few kilometers (miles) to Gorleben, thousands of people protested on Saturday.

A spokesman for the German branch of Friends of the Earth International said planned demonstrations would still take place, despite the death of the protester.

"In Germany over the last few years we've had protesters chaining themselves to the rails, but police and demonstration organizers have been careful to ensure they are in a visible and prearranged position so that the train can stop in time."

http://www.lepoint.fr/static/afp/francais/journal/une/SGE.DUK13.071104190913.photo00.quicklook.default-189x245.jpg
Le train transportant des déchets nucléaires vers l'Allemagne

fantassin
11-07-2004, 04:31 PM
That's what happens when you paddlock yourself to a railway just after a bend.

Must have been legless when he did it.

GrimmyRX
11-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Guess he doesn't have a leg to stand on for this Anti-Nuke business of his.

Avary
11-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Moonbats will never cease to amaze me. :bash:

radon
11-07-2004, 04:42 PM
I am sorry if I did not understand the situation correctly.

so? He can blame only himself. He could have protested in a more wise way. I blame only the one killed. rip

Maybe police could have looked more carefully at those tracks becausethese Atom tranports collect alsorts of people who try to hinder these transports.

usa320
11-07-2004, 04:49 PM
yeah, its kinda scarry he was able to get that close to a train carrying nuclear material.

It should be under heavy guard.

fantassin
11-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Policemen on motorbikes drove alongsides the railways three minutes before the train; those activists were hiding in a bush and handcuffed themselves just before the train arrived so it had no time to brake.

BlackRain
11-07-2004, 04:58 PM
If you chain yourself to railroad tracks you must be prepared for the consequences.

http://www.xposed.com/dsdsmultimedia/photos/GERMANY_NUCLEAR_WAST.jpg

This saves the world from one more lunatic.

Sayeret
11-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Policemen on motorbikes drove alongsides the railways three minutes before the train; those activists were hiding in a bush and handcuffed themselves just before the train arrived so it had no time to brake.

I'm a little bit confused. Was that guy who was hit by the train planning on being killed in order to make a message or did he think the train could somehow stop upon seeing him?

Heinzi
11-07-2004, 05:00 PM

I'm a little bit confused. Was that guy who was hit by the train planning on being killed in order to make a message or did he think the train could somehow stop upon seeing him?

They do that all the time. Most time the train has to halt and the workers have to cut them out.
But this time the helicopter was refueling and the train was pretty fast. 3 other escaped but one didnt make it :|

BlackRain
11-07-2004, 05:00 PM
According to an early investigation, Sebastien Briat, a 21-year-old protester from the nearby Meuse region, died from injuries sustained when he and other activists were surprised by the train as they prepared to chain themselves to the rails, police officials said.

The train's driver braked suddenly but was unable to avoid hitting the protester, the officials said.

About 12 miles up the rails in the town of Laneuveville-devant-Nancy, police intervened to cut the chains that two protesters from activist group Sortir du Nucleaire (Out of Nuclear) had used to lock themselves to the tracks, officials from railway authority SNCF said.

http://wwwi.*******.com/images/2004-11-07T182527Z_01_CAS760420_RTRUKOP_2_PICTURE0.jpg

Children light candles following an prayer ceremony in the northern German village of Langendorf near Gorleben. They were mourning the death of an anti-nuclear activist who died in France on Sunday after having a leg cut off by a train transporting nuclear waste when he was sitting on a railway track in protest.

Sir Zach of R.
11-07-2004, 05:17 PM
It's his own damn fault he died, not the engineer's. A train typically takes nearly a half a mile to come to a complete stop, and most trains in America can take up to 2 miles to completely stop. :roll:

Deuterium
Just like they told us GIs in Germany:

Trains in Europe are , Swift, Silent, and Deadly

DPGLAW
Guess he doesn't have a leg to stand on for this Anti-Nuke business of his.

LOL.....now that was F'in funny. Damn ure quick, I wish I thought of that one. Well, this is a good thing that this happened. All it is is darwinism, survival of the fittest, etc. All that happened today is that god "skimmed" the top of the gene pool. got rid of some of the crap that occasionally lands in the pool. :)

vryhpyammoadded
11-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Just like the idiot in Washington state outside of the FBM facility who so many years back forgot that trains have a lot of momentum.

Deuterium
11-07-2004, 05:36 PM
In 1987 we had a guy named Brian Wilson do the same stunt against a train. He thought the train would stop. It didn't.

Phil642
11-07-2004, 05:44 PM
This man was really stupid...

Believe me, it's impossible to stop a train with legs.

Kilgor
11-07-2004, 11:44 PM
accidents like this are always a positive form of natural selection p-)

Durandal
11-08-2004, 12:00 AM
In 1987 we had a guy named Brian Wilson do the same stunt against a train. He thought the train would stop. It didn't.

Damn, beat me to it.

I wonder if they were related. Wilson was not killed but he lost both his legs and if I recall correctly it was caught on video. he even has his own website of essays...

http://www.brianwillson.com/

:roll:

maw
11-08-2004, 01:32 AM
i'm stumped as to why someone would do this...

he lost his legs protesting against atomic energy, they should build him a nuclear powered wheelchair...

of course he could always travel by train, i read that the frantch rail company will allow him to travel as a minor they'll even throw in a booster seat...

otherwise his transportation options will be coming up a little short...

c'est la vie!

Flagg
11-08-2004, 02:03 AM
There are OLD anti-nuclear activists

There are BOLD anti-nuclear activists

There are NO old AND bold anti-nuclear activists

ikurinturbiini
11-08-2004, 03:07 AM

What? Beach Boys are against trains? WTF?

mr.x
11-08-2004, 03:41 AM
maw...you're stumped?

Poor guy, it must have sucked to go through life so dumb...
I'm amazed he made it as far as he did.
It's almost like being surprised the handgun discharges when "playing" Russian Roulette.

Kilgor
11-08-2004, 03:49 AM
maw...you're stumped?

Poor guy, it must have sucked to go through life so dumb...
I'm amazed he made it as far as he did.
It's almost like being surprised the handgun discharges when "playing" Russian Roulette.

Reminds me of that time two guys played russian roulette with magazine fed handgun. Either drunk or very stupid, but one of them after that was very dead.

seruriermarshal
11-08-2004, 03:53 AM
:(

mr.x
11-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Reminds me of that time two guys played russian roulette with magazine fed handgun. Either drunk or very stupid, but one of them after that was very dead.

I always thought that was a myth/joke. True?

Nizark
11-08-2004, 04:18 AM

And apparently fockin fast too

Kilgor
11-08-2004, 04:26 AM

I always thought that was a myth/joke. True?

28 February 2000, Texas) A Houston man earned a succinct lesson in gun safety when he played Russian roulette with a .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol. Rashaad, nineteen, was visiting friends when he announced his intention to play the deadly game. He apparently did not realize that a semiautomatic pistol, unlike a revolver, automatically inserts a cartridge into the firing chamber when the gun is cocked. His chance of winning a round of Russian roulette was zero, as he quickly discovered.

aparently it is

www.darwinawards.com

maw
11-08-2004, 12:10 PM
not sure if it's irony but this was the banner that greeted me when i came to this page this morning:
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?adurl=http://www.statravel.com/Statravel/railpasses/categories.aspx%3FMenuID%3D3001S1&sa=l&ai=As_tm9k5jBBugy4K6IGwpaiqoBAN3VfAxeHLmBAcj3GgPBEq41HAAwutBBEQAYaB8e_s_DMzM2cTO2YDOykDA3d3du0WaslGdhJXewh2b092cu4WZ0BwNygDe5AzXhNHAAIAAoRHdwpzLvc3d35SbpxWa0Fmc5BHavR3bz5iblR3Lm9mc112cvYXaldHdvBXaj5CcoB3P01jM5QDNyYyc0Fmc01TM2YCcvNHdkFWez1DMmA3bzR3byRWZy1TYzNmJol2ZoxWanhGd9AA&num=1&client=ca-pub-7651403209465210
http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/iclk?adurl=http://www.statravel.com/Statravel/railpasses/categories.aspx%3FMenuID%3D3001S1&sa=l&ai=As_tm9k5jBBugy4K6IGwpaiqoBAN3VfAxeHLmBAcj3GgPBEq41HAAwutBBEQAYaB8e_s_DMzM2cTO2YDOykDA3d3du0WaslGdhJXewh2b092cu4WZ0BwNygDe5AzXhNHAAIAAoRHdwpzLvc3d35SbpxWa0Fmc5BHavR3bz5iblR3Lm9mc112cvYXaldHdvBXaj5CcoB3P01jM5QDNyYyc0Fmc01TM2YCcvNHdkFWez1DMmA3bzR3byRWZy1TYzNmJol2ZoxWanhGd9AA&num=1&client=ca-pub-7651403209465210
they should change their banner to:
"eurorail - a great way to get draged around europe"

East
11-08-2004, 02:07 PM

And apparently fockin fast too

Swift- Moving or capable of moving with great speed; fast. :roll:

Sorry dude...but that was dumb. Not as dumb as our legless Frenchman though. :roll:

aartamen
11-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Risking your life needlessly for a very questionable political cause and getting killed in the process. Now that's dumb. Not as dumb as shooting yourself because Bush won, though.

TheKiwi
11-08-2004, 11:54 PM
accidents like this are always a positive form of natural selection p-)

I consider it an example of evolution in action. The average IQ of the human race just went up by a fraction of a percent.

MEGR
11-09-2004, 12:17 AM
Ouch!

TALOS
11-09-2004, 01:37 AM

Damn, beat me to it.

I wonder if they were related. Wilson was not killed but he lost both his legs and if I recall correctly it was caught on video. he even has his own website of essays...

http://www.brianwillson.com/

:roll:

this is a quote of his
In September 1987, as you remember, I was severely assaulted by a US weapons train in Concord, CA

http://www.brianwillson.com/awolkerry.html