PDA

View Full Version : Can Marines Become SEALs?

charliebravo
10-12-2003, 02:17 PM
I have a very simple question that conserns Navy SEALs.

CAN MARINES BECOME SEALS WITHOUT JOINING THE NAVY AND LEAVING THE MARINE CORPS?

In Capt. Couch's book, "The Warrior Elite," he says that there are many Marines in Class 228, but I got the impression that they had to join the Navy first. However in this forum a guy who claimed he was SF said that Marines can become SEALs while still being Marines>

96B
10-12-2003, 02:25 PM
Only people in the Navy can become SEALs and that is that. I have that book, and it clearly states that MANY former Marines join the Navy to be a SEAL. They even had one Marine officer who got out and enlisted in the Navy to go to BUD/S. Soon there will be a few Marines going through BUD/S which will make up the new USMC SOCOM unit, but other than them no active duty Marines go through the program to my knowledge. Simply making it through BUD/S does not make you a SEAL, once you finish your training you are assigned to a SEAL team on a probationary status for I believe 6 months before you get your NSW badge.

Rush_die
10-12-2003, 03:19 PM
are the marines not part of the navy?

coz in the Philippines the Philippine Marines is just part of the navy but with a special task of having combat ops...thats what i think of...i dont know in the other country...

Ratamacue
10-12-2003, 03:23 PM
The Marines are officially a division of the Navy, but in practice they are a seperate branch. They may ride along with the Navy on deployment, but combat ops are almost entirely seperate.

NcDeuce
10-12-2003, 05:23 PM
MARINE = My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment

96B
10-12-2003, 05:39 PM
There are also Navy Corpsmen attached to Recon units which also go through the same training as the Marines within the unit.

Ratamacue
10-12-2003, 05:45 PM
ARMY = Aren't Ready to be Marines Yet

Just kidding folks.

96B
10-12-2003, 07:19 PM
or ARMY = Aint Real Men Yet

Is there a NAVY joke like that out there?

Deuterium
10-12-2003, 08:35 PM
Why do Marines put nametags on their back-pockets? So the navy guys can tell who they are Fu*king.... Hey you guys started it!!

TheHoleInMyChest
10-12-2003, 08:39 PM
heheh... rear admiral...heh
swabbin the decks

NcDeuce
10-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Why do Marines put nametags on their back-pockets? So the navy guys can tell who they are Fu*king.... Hey you guys started it!!

Hehehe, good one.

Teemu803
10-12-2003, 10:48 PM
or ARMY = Aint Real Men Yet

How about NAVY = Nice And Virgin youngsters?

Senor Sanchez
03-26-2009, 06:14 PM
I've heard of several people pursuing this path. Is it a viable option? Any info from the BTDT's would be great.

Soldat_Américain
03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
I think it's possible, I wouldn't know because I'm in the Army, but one of my friends was talking about it last summer, he's a LCpl. Like I said, I don't know anything about it.

Wilco
03-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Marines can go through the BUD's program, but as far as I know we can't go through SEAL training.

Dominique
03-26-2009, 06:43 PM
I've heard of several people pursuing this path. Is it a viable option? Any info from the BTDT's would be great.

Why would anyone join the Marines, if they wanted to be a SEAL. If you want to be a SEAL, go and join the Navy.

Marines can go through the BUD's program, but as far as I know we can't go through SEAL training.

Say what? Where are you getting this from?

Slouch
03-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Didn't David Goggins, the Ultra-marathon runner, do something similiar? It was mentioned somewhere he was in Army, Air Force and Navy special operations, but I'm unable to find the original article. My google-fu is weak.

KB
03-26-2009, 06:47 PM

I know of one Marine officer in 3rd Recon who arranged an interservice transfer and have heard of several enlisted guys who took a discharge from the USMC, then enlisted in the Navy to enter BUDS. In all cases they were serving in Recon units and preferred to remain in the Special Ops world rather than go back to a regular infantry battalion; this was all back in the '80s.

Carib
03-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Why would anyone join the Marines, if they wanted to be a SEAL. If you want to be a SEAL, go and join the Navy.

I'll answer this... Cause if you join on a SEAL contract and maybe you don't make it cause the odds aren't by any means in your favor you'll be stuck in the fleet doing some nonsense job that has nothing to do with combat arms.

If you join the Marines chances are you'll get a Combat Arms MOS. Maybe you develop enough there that you feel you could hack it in the SEALs.

Then again I don't see the logic when a Marine could just go Recon or MARSOC.

Wilco
03-26-2009, 09:54 PM

Say what? Where are you getting this from?

I've talked with quite a few NCO/SNCO's about it before when I saw it on the forums. As far as I know we aren't allowed to.

Ezekiel25:17
03-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Huh ? ****ing scuttlebutt.

Wilco
03-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Huh ? ****ing scuttlebutt.

Yep, atleast that's what I've been told, we can't get the Seal Trident.

But what do I know, I'm just an Airwinger.

alphabet
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Blah, blah.

->> http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3004

HollywoodMarine
03-26-2009, 11:20 PM
No. Marines cannot become Navy SEALs while currently serving on active duty. A Marine will have to complete his obligated service, EAS, and enlist in the US Navy to get his chance of becoming a SEAL.

However... the US Coast Guard does allow their male Coasties to try out for the SEAL's while still currently serving in the USCG. You want to know more about that... Google it!

Semper Fi! ;)

loui_ludwig
03-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Forgot the name of the Navy Seal book(i believed author is **** Couch and talks about Seal training for the new graduates of BUDS), it mentioned a Seal officer. He was a Marine infantry officer who did an inter service transfer.

There are Marines who went to became Seals. This means you enlist in the Marines. After finishing your time, then you go to a Navy and have in your contract to go to BUDS. Meaning they have prior service in the Marines before going to the Navy. I don't know what year it was, in Readers Digest, they have an article on BUDS training. It mentioned a trainee who was a former Marine recon. The trainee said that during deployment he was impressed by the Seals. After he got out, he enlisted in the Navy.

loui_ludwig
03-26-2009, 11:28 PM
No. Marines cannot become Navy SEALs while currently serving on active duty. A Marine will have to complete his obligated service, EAS, and enlist in the US Navy to get his chance of becoming a SEAL.

However... the US Coast Guard does allow their male Coasties to try out for the SEAL's while still currently serving in the USCG. You want to know more about that... Google it!

Semper Fi! ;)

I believed that the USCG is starting their own special ops unit. Those who want to join the unit can go to BUDS training and be assigned to a SEAL unit. Then after a few years and go back to the Coasties spec op unit. Not sure of the story, read it in a spec op forum.

loui_ludwig
03-26-2009, 11:33 PM
If you want to be a Recon Seal, join the Navy, become a corpsman, go to BUDS, and if you make it, be assigned to a Seal platoon. Then afte 6 years on the team, request to go to a Marine Recon battalion or MARSOC.

Bro Jangles
03-26-2009, 11:35 PM
"never again volunteer yourself", or "need any Vaseline yet?"

Pete031
03-26-2009, 11:36 PM
The Question you should be asking, Is can SEAL's become Marines???? HOAH!!! Semper Fi!

Carib
03-26-2009, 11:40 PM
it's oo-rah

ronnieraygun
03-26-2009, 11:42 PM
*Canadian-like typing detected in thread*

Pete031
03-26-2009, 11:43 PM
It's something....

Bulletproof
03-26-2009, 11:53 PM
My my... They are on your case these days Pete.

Pete031
03-27-2009, 12:01 AM
It's an obvious joke, And a recruiter would be the best way to get some real SA pn the subject, instead of relying on this.

James
03-27-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm really glad this thread was brought out of hibernation after more than five years.

Dominique
03-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I believed that the USCG is starting their own special ops unit. Those who want to join the unit can go to BUDS training and be assigned to a SEAL unit. Then after a few years and go back to the Coasties spec op unit. Not sure of the story, read it in a spec op forum.

The CG is in the process of trying to form a dedicated SOF unit, and want to sent a small cadre of personnel to BUD/S, and then have them transfer back to the CG after serving in SEAL platoon for several years. There are currently 4 USCG officers in BUD/S, and that's it.

If you want to be a Recon Seal, join the Navy, become a corpsman, go to BUDS, and if you make it, be assigned to a Seal platoon. Then afte 6 years on the team, request to go to a Marine Recon battalion or MARSOC.

You're kidding right? Marine Recon units have their own Corpsman assigned to them called SARCs, MARSOC also has it's own cadre of Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) qualified Corpsman.

dave81
03-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm really glad this thread was brought out of hibernation after more than five years.Yeah. When I read the first page of this thread I thought Deuterium had returned from the great beyond to share his wisdom with us. Then I looked at the date.

Pete031
03-27-2009, 11:16 AM
And there was two of the threads going at the same time for a while.

loui_ludwig
03-27-2009, 11:43 PM
The CG is in the process of trying to form a dedicated SOF unit, and want to sent a small cadre of personnel to BUD/S, and then have them transfer back to the CG after serving in SEAL platoon for several years. There are currently 4 USCG officers in BUD/S, and that's it.

You're kidding right? Marine Recon units have their own Corpsman assigned to them called SARCs, MARSOC also has it's own cadre of Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) qualified Corpsman.

Yes i am kidding about the Recon Seal.

Cstafford
03-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah. When I read the first page of this thread I thought Deuterium had returned from the great beyond to share his wisdom with us. Then I looked at the date.
Last Activity: 02-27-2009 must be lurkin

digrar
03-28-2009, 06:35 AM
There was some thread merging trickery involved here.

DANGER_CLOSE
03-29-2009, 05:02 AM
name tapes on jarhead uniforms were not started until some bright army general forced it upon us and i believe that commandant mundy signed on to it. all we used to have was the eagle/globe/anchor and usmc stenciled on our blouse and ega on our cover. navy has always had their name stenciled on their ass pocket because 'its not gay, if its underway':hug:.