PDA

View Full Version : SASR Al Asad Air base Western Iraq

Basil
03-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Sorry lads no Direct Links and Photo Bucket Shrinks the original 500KB size down some :roll:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-05.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-10.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-06.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-08.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-09.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-11.jpg

Shar.
03-04-2005, 06:41 AM
Still they are great pics! :hug:

TacoDelRio
03-04-2005, 06:48 AM
Cool photos.

Good stuff!

Frost
03-04-2005, 06:58 AM
woot woot woot
bloody awesome!!

[AFSOC]
03-04-2005, 07:01 AM
what does it all mean basil?

Basil
03-04-2005, 07:04 AM
]what does it all mean basil?

Just Some Aussies having a drive round the local Iraqi Air Base. Note some rather well loaded LRPV's.

Lurch
03-04-2005, 08:55 AM
thanks, good pics p-)

TallGuy
03-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Sorry lads no Direct Links and Photo Bucket Shrinks the original 500KB size down some :roll:

Use ImageShack: http://www.imageshack.us/
They allow up to 1024 Kb pics.

Macs.
03-04-2005, 09:31 AM
Very cool, mate.

**** OATH !

username
03-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Good stuff, thanx for sharing

FREEDOM
03-04-2005, 09:47 AM
cool picture, SASR yeah

ShotOver
03-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Nice pics mate, mind if I ask where you got hold of em`?

Basil
03-04-2005, 10:03 AM
Nice pics mate, mind if I ask where you got hold of em`?

A mate told me where to look for them.

Edit:- I Know one of Moderators here has those pics and he may well post them up.

scm77
03-04-2005, 10:18 AM
woot woot

SHAM
03-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Nice pics mate, awfully obliging of them.

Cooler Master
03-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Nice pics

Thanx for sharing!!!

demotivater
03-04-2005, 12:20 PM
]what does it all mean basil?

Just Some Aussies having a drive round the local Iraqi Air Base. Note some rather well loaded LRPV's.

They look like they're about to break in half.

tenda
03-04-2005, 12:28 PM
very nice pic's...!!!!!! :P

Bluezoo
03-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Bad ass dudes you would not like to mess around with. woot

Err, smashing pictures! woot woot

PrincessRAR
03-04-2005, 04:36 PM
The ol boys from the west, you will not find more dedicated and skilled soldiers then these guys. Absolutely phenominal!

Interesting to note all the media coverge about 4RAR (cdo) taking al asid airbase - to drum up the support for the cdo's.

SASR was there about a month or so before!!

No wonder cdo's had no resistance rofl

Aussie E
03-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Nice pics. Does any one have the vide of them clearing some of the buildings on the base? I saw it last year sometime and haven't been able to find it again.
Thanks for posting the pics.

goldman
03-04-2005, 07:24 PM
GP :hug: woot woot woot [/quote]

Basil
03-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Nice pics. Does any one have the vide of them clearing some of the buildings on the base? I saw it last year sometime and haven't been able to find it again.
Thanks for posting the pics.

http://www.defence.gov.au/opfalconer/video/CDO_PATROL_24APR03.mpg

[AFSOC]
03-04-2005, 07:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-08.jpg

whats the circle thing?? anything unique?

Aussie E
03-04-2005, 07:46 PM
spare tire maybe

Basil
03-04-2005, 07:54 PM
spare tire maybe

Yeah right on.

Khabbi
03-04-2005, 08:01 PM
great pics

reverence
03-04-2005, 11:36 PM
PrincessRAR-I don't remember anyone stipulating that Commando's siezed the Airbase? Rather that they were brought in to assist in a more detailed search after it had been "taken". (I use the term lightly as SASR met virtually no resistance there except a few hapless souls who sprayed ineffective fire before fleeing. Are you insinuating that if the Commando's had got there before the "Good ol boys"(a term I've never come accross to refer to the Regiment-have you been reading Delta Force books?) the outcome would heve been different. If you weren't there I wouldn't gob off. Commando's don't need any support "drummed up for them" as they are a professional/ dedicated bunch as well and any wind blowing by politicians or press was and never will be asked for by blokes from that unit or SASR.

ShotOver
03-05-2005, 12:07 AM
IIRC the SASR Basically drove past, called in the FA/18 hornets to make sonic booms above the base to simulate explosions and shot a couple of rounds next to some guards and they all ran away.
Then the vehicles drove on and called in the Cdo's for a searching.

PrincessRAR
03-05-2005, 01:39 AM
PrincessRAR-I don't remember anyone stipulating that Commando's siezed the Airbase? Rather that they were brought in to assist in a more detailed search after it had been "taken". (I use the term lightly as SASR met virtually no resistance there except a few hapless souls who sprayed ineffective fire before fleeing. Are you insinuating that if the Commando's had got there before the "Good ol boys"(a term I've never come accross to refer to the Regiment-have you been reading Delta Force books?) the outcome would heve been different. If you weren't there I wouldn't gob off. Commando's don't need any support "drummed up for them" as they are a professional/ dedicated bunch as well and any wind blowing by politicians or press was and never will be asked for by blokes from that unit or SASR.

no1 - I do have an opinion - its a public forum

no2 - I am qualified to make an opinion

no3 - I wasn't "there" as such but i know a lot about it

no4 - I can call them what I want. I have served with and against them

no5 - I know its a chip on my shoulder but its many peoples aswell: 4RAR are just a rifle coy with a different set of skills they are NOTHING like the SASR, and it was publicity for them to be there the way it was portrayed in the Australian media was that they took al asid. No mention was made of the SASR.

no6 - no i dont read delta books sorry to dissapoint buddy :hug: I only shoot against them

BiZ
03-05-2005, 03:42 AM
4RAR are just a rifle coy with a different set of skills they are NOTHING like the SASR

Hmmmm very interesting comment. I'd be careful in making such comments, even on a public forum, or in public around certain areas. Some might consider "thems fightin words".

As for PTs comment. I believe that's the most simplified overview in history.

ShotOver
03-05-2005, 04:26 AM
4RAR are just a rifle coy with a different set of skills they are NOTHING like the SASR

Hmmmm very interesting comment. I'd be careful in making such comments, even on a public forum, or in public around certain areas. Some might consider "thems fightin words".

Was just saying mate, but yeah. Was just chucking a fact in there without putting my personell opinion on the line.
I live across the road from the SASR base, I know alot of the blokes personally, good group of men.

On another note, I'm getting a tad annoyed with the attitude of PrincessRAR though, bit full of himself. Sure your not an RAAF pilot?

PrincessRAR
03-05-2005, 04:28 AM

I apologise, but I think I've earned a right to my opinion..

And from serving with those guys I can make a pretty accurate one.

And I am taking nothing from 4RAR! They are above normal rifle coys as I said its just a chip :roll: Alot of us oldies possess one..

PrincessRAR
03-05-2005, 04:29 AM

Was just saying mate, but yeah. Was just chucking a fact in there without putting my personell opinion on the line.
I live across the road from the SASR base, I know alot of the blokes personally, good group of men.

On another note, I'm getting a tad annoyed with the attitude of PrincessRAR though, bit full of himself. Sure your not an RAAF pilot?

I promise I try not to be! Just comes from recon days ;)

And mate im so green its not funny, I wouldnt even wear a blue pair of pants! :P

ShotOver
03-05-2005, 04:33 AM

I promise I try not to be! Just comes from recon days ;)

And mate im so green its not funny, I wouldnt even wear a blue pair of pants! :P

No worries mate, thought i'd just bring up it. You seem like a pretty mysterious bloke, should drop on over to http://aus******************/phpBB2/index.php and tell us your story, mostly Aussies over there, all of which I am sure will love to hear some stories or recieve some advice.
Have a good one.

PrincessRAR
03-05-2005, 04:52 AM
Mysterious!! I try not to be :(

I am not a SF member yet!!

My story is boring and uninteresting although i suppose not as boring as a pouges ;)

I may pop over and geese at the sight

thanks buddy

RGRBOX
03-05-2005, 05:11 AM
Great Pics...

reverence
03-05-2005, 06:03 PM
PrincesRAR-Served with the SASR shot against Delta??? Really. Do you mean served alongside? Let me guess you worked in the Regiment mess or a Q-store(no I'm not bagging support staff who are invaluable and overworked as anyone in any unit) or one of the Bn's and were used as a paint target occassionally or Recon in Timor living in a tent beside at BHQ. Perhaps a non bereted Sig. You stated that Commando's are not like SASR-You are a genius. That thought never occured to those who decided that we needed full time Commando's. The point was that they are structured to carry out different tasks or support SASR hence them being not the same! Would you compare 1st Armoured Regiment to 2nd Cavalry Reg. Just as they arte both Armoured Corp units with different roles SASR and CDO's are both SF units with different roles. Having said that as far as collective/individual skill sets, fitness, motivation, and professionalism they are far closer to SASR than to a Bn Rifle Coy. Perhaps you are unaware of the extremely high pass rate for CDO's joining SASR when compared to any other unit?
Perhaps you'd like to tell General Mike Hindmarsh that a Commando Strike Coy is just a Rifle Coy with some different skill sets. I'm sure SOCOMD would have a different view to you-Of the Bn Rifleman Coy applicants <60% fail initial entry and of those <40% failing CTSC followed by 18 months of back to back courses (with more shown the door)just to be employable in a Strike Company is the same as being in a Battalion 6 years and picking up a DFSW or Pioneer course (or both if you're lucky) in that time is the same? Perhaps those Commando's who attended and passed the SASR Cse's required to be members of TAG are just like No 3 Rifleman in the Bn. You like dropping the word Recon around. Perhaps you are just (or were) in a Bn Recon platoon. Perhaps you are what I like to term "a big fish in a very small pond" Tell it straight were you a qualified member of SASR or just a name dropper SAS groupy who billeted beside them in Timor? SASR is an excellent unit filled with highly skilled and motivated guys(and girls) praise them by all means but dont denegrate a unit you are not(nor by the sound of your attitude ever be) a member of to do so. Enjoy chasing the little fishes around I'm sure all the Commando's who are no doubt fast roping out of choppers and blowing into buildings with live ammo today are envious of you.

M4ko
03-05-2005, 06:15 PM
How come no one asked about their hair. Ill be first one then: so Australian army doesnt require short/crewcut haircuts?

ASSASSIN
03-05-2005, 06:47 PM
How come no one asked about their hair. Ill be first one then: so Australian army doesnt require short/crewcut haircuts?

Becaue most of us that post here allready know that most special operations units have "relaxed grooming standards" to allow them to "blend in" depending on their theatre of operations. As for the idea behind the relaxed grooming standards... "its easier/faster to cut hair than grow it.

M4ko
03-05-2005, 07:00 PM
ok

PrincessRAR
03-05-2005, 07:58 PM
PrincesRAR-Served with the SASR shot against Delta??? Really. Do you mean served alongside? Let me guess you worked in the Regiment mess or a Q-store(no I'm not bagging support staff who are invaluable and overworked as anyone in any unit) or one of the Bn's and were used as a paint target occassionally or Recon in Timor living in a tent beside at BHQ. Perhaps a non bereted Sig. You stated that Commando's are not like SASR-You are a genius. That thought never occured to those who decided that we needed full time Commando's. The point was that they are structured to carry out different tasks or support SASR hence them being not the same! Would you compare 1st Armoured Regiment to 2nd Cavalry Reg. Just as they arte both Armoured Corp units with different roles SASR and CDO's are both SF units with different roles. Having said that as far as collective/individual skill sets, <A TITLE="Click for more information about fitness" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||fitness|AA1VDw">fitness</A>, motivation, and professionalism they are far closer to SASR than to a Bn Rifle Coy. Perhaps you are unaware of the extremely high pass rate for CDO's joining SASR when compared to any other unit?
Perhaps you'd like to tell General Mike Hindmarsh that a Commando Strike Coy is just a Rifle Coy with some different skill sets. I'm sure SOCOMD would have a different view to you-Of the Bn Rifleman Coy applicants <60% fail initial entry and of those <40% failing CTSC followed by 18 months of back to back courses (with more shown the door)just to be employable in a Strike Company is the same as being in a Battalion 6 years and picking up a DFSW or Pioneer course (or both if you're lucky) in that time is the same? Perhaps those Commando's who attended and passed the SASR Cse's required to be members of TAG are just like No 3 Rifleman in the Bn. You like dropping the word Recon around. Perhaps you are just (or were) in a Bn Recon platoon. Perhaps you are what I like to term "a big fish in a very small pond" Tell it straight were you a qualified member of SASR or just a name dropper SAS groupy who billeted beside them in Timor? SASR is an excellent unit filled with highly skilled and motivated guys(and girls) praise them by all means but dont denegrate a unit you are not(nor by the sound of your attitude ever be) a member of to do so. Enjoy chasing the little fishes around I'm sure all the Commando's who are no doubt fast roping out of choppers and blowing into buildings with live ammo today are envious of you.

Mate take a chill pill. I dont appericiate your attitude, the first time was okay i brushed it off not again.
I have served for ten years now in the corps of infantry, been on operations 3 times and served with pride.
I dont need some punk on military photos telling me what I am or what I've done.
No I was not in the SASR but I have worked with them (doesnt mean I am one genius)
I have already passed my SFET if you care to know and I am panelled to attempt selection for the SASR later this year.

Thank you for the concern you have shown me, and if I ever find out who you are - if you do infact serve - watch out buddy (friendly warning) p-)

PrincessRAR
03-05-2005, 08:00 PM
PrincesRAR-Served with the SASR shot against Delta??? Really. Do you mean served alongside? Let me guess you worked in the Regiment mess or a Q-store(no I'm not bagging support staff who are invaluable and overworked as anyone in any unit) or one of the Bn's and were used as a paint target occassionally or Recon in Timor living in a tent beside at BHQ. Perhaps a non bereted Sig. You stated that Commando's are not like SASR-You are a genius. That thought never occured to those who decided that we needed full time Commando's. The point was that they are structured to carry out different tasks or support SASR hence them being not the same! Would you compare 1st Armoured Regiment to 2nd Cavalry Reg. Just as they arte both Armoured Corp units with different roles SASR and CDO's are both SF units with different roles. Having said that as far as collective/individual skill sets, <A TITLE="Click for more information about fitness" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||fitness|AA1VDw">fitness</A>, motivation, and professionalism they are far closer to SASR than to a Bn Rifle Coy. Perhaps you are unaware of the extremely high pass rate for CDO's joining SASR when compared to any other unit?

Also for your information, yes I have served in spt coy with both recon and currently snipers that was after 3 years in a normal rifle coy with which I showed distinguished service to gain my placement into spt coy.

Never have I been posted to swanbourne barracks - may I enquire as to your distinguished career?

reverence
03-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Princess-Ah so I was right you are a big fish strutting the Bn with you PT shirt untucked and long sideburns. I never said you weren't a good soldier. I never said you havn't served your country well. I never implied that soldiers from Bn's weren't skilled and motivated at what they do. Me thinks you have missed the point. I don't care if you won a VC and soldier of the year 10 years running-It is un called for that anyone-let alone a member of RAINF to put down another Infantry unit. Especially if that unit is part of a community you wish to become a part of. That was my point. Admitting you have a chip on your shoulder is being honest but remember "chip on the shoulder" is slang for "I am arrogant". I hope if you make it to your Patrol Cse you can hide your personality as many of the blokes you come across will be ex 4RAR or even 1 CDO. I have seen NCO's and even SNCO's from Recon and Snipers fail Ptl Cse and CTSC as you are no doubt aware.
This isn't a pissing contest and what I've done and who I've done it with aren't the issue-I won't be drawn out by some arrogant ignorant SF wannabe. Needless to say I find your resume unimpressive to say the least. Let me guess if you saw me you's fill me in-yawn. Save it for the lids down the boozer.
Never mind if you fail you can go back to your distinguished career and tell the guys it was a personality clash or that old injury was playing up. Hey it might even be some of those ex 4RAR rifle Coy guys that bins you
Here's a couple of lines you should remember before you rock up-Confidence not arrogance and Conversation not degradation
Duties First Sniper :)

radx
03-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Mysterious!! I try not to be :(

I am not a SF member yet!!

My story is boring and uninteresting although i suppose not as boring as a pouges ;)

I may pop over and geese at the sight

thanks buddy

So, for the record, are you a part of any sort of special operations unit, or just regular force?

PrincessRAR
03-05-2005, 10:43 PM
regs mate and point taken reverance ;)

radx
03-05-2005, 10:48 PM
regs mate and point taken reverance ;)

Ahh cool cool. You ever work with and Canadians? If so whats your opinion our armed forces, mainly our Recce, and Snipers? Thanks man, good luck to you for SASR selection.

reverence
03-06-2005, 12:05 AM
No worries-nuff said on that.

garoco
03-06-2005, 02:39 AM
Great pics, thanks for posting them up! :)

gruntsuck
03-06-2005, 05:55 AM
Just out of curiousity princessrar you mention elsewhere that you were posted to brissy, to six I assume. Did you get into snipers there? Have you done team leader or just basic course? Just curious mate.

By the way guys yes the airbase the SASR took wasn't that heavily guarded but the soldiers who did guard it were pretty well trained( Anyone that carries out man-down drills under fire is pretty well trained in my books. Whoever said they called in the aircraft to fly over and sonic boom the place, that was another place. As for four just using it as a photo-op, not entirerly true they were called in to secure the area and conduct secondary sweeps. Four never got used over there to its full capability. There were plenty off situations where they had opportunity just never given the go ahead by the powers to be.

ShotOver
03-06-2005, 06:06 AM
Yeah, the sonic boom technique must of been used elsewhere, sorry bout that.

How'd you know about their actions underfire? :)

gruntsuck
03-06-2005, 06:26 AM
By no way was I incinuating i was there PT, I chatted to a few of them not long after it happened.

RGRBOX
03-06-2005, 06:38 AM

Of course they do..but these guys fell onder a different requirement, and they're working clansdine missions. These are your standard line troopers...

ShotOver
03-06-2005, 10:02 AM
By no way was I incinuating i was there PT, I chatted to a few of them not long after it happened.

No worries mate. I'm assuming to be able to use a man down drill you first off have to have a man who is down, our boys must of laid a little smackdown.
:lol:

garoco
03-07-2005, 04:54 AM
If you are in Brisvegas with sniper PL 6 then say g'day to Chaddie for me :) Say "Action Chadson" and he'll know who it's from. :lol:

benny5405
03-07-2005, 12:27 PM
what is the headset and radio that they use ?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-05.jpg

gruntsuck
03-07-2005, 08:53 PM
The radio is called an Embitr. Can be used in uhf or vhf modes, very good range as well for the size.

RSK
03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Sweet Pics!

soma
03-07-2005, 09:02 PM
]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-08.jpg

whats the circle thing?? anything unique?

Tank banging the vehicle.

garoco
03-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Those excellent images are not currently working at the moment as bandwidth is exceeded.

2RHPZ
05-30-2005, 02:36 PM
At Camp Doha, Kuwait, 2003:

http://img176.echo.cx/img176/8643/asas3go.th.jpg (http://img176.echo.cx/my.php?image=asas3go.jpg)

Baldman
05-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Great Pics, thanks for posting.

benny5405
06-01-2005, 01:31 AM
how can be so sure that they are SASR ? cause someone told me they are not SASR , they are RAR commando ... :roll:

digrar
06-01-2005, 01:50 AM
If they're in a 6x6 LRPV you can almost certainly assume they are SASR.

Holstein
06-01-2005, 01:54 AM
nice pics

bigjeff
06-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Kool pics!!!Keep it up!

big80a2
06-01-2005, 05:13 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/Basil11/SASRIraqLPRV-02.jpg

what's up with the shiny brass (?) plate on the HMG??
or is it gold plated ;)

MSR
06-01-2005, 05:41 AM
It's strapping tape champ.

Zielony
06-01-2005, 07:20 AM
GP man :)....

MAd MAX ;)