PDA

View Full Version : Ar-15 or Mini-14

Turbo
03-27-2005, 11:21 PM
I like the design of the Ar-15 but realiabilty is a question ive heard that they dont stand up to dust and powder residue while the mini-14 does better. which is more accurate ?

ramy
03-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Get an ar-15 it is more accurate and a better rifle in general. You should not have any problems with your ar-15 jamming if you clean it after you use it. I have never had any type of jam with my ar-15 because of dirt or anything of that nature.

American Patriot
03-28-2005, 12:15 AM
You can't hit the broad side of a barn with a mini 14

scrybe
03-28-2005, 12:30 AM
AR15 are more consitantly accurate than Mini 14s. Some Mini 14s are decently accurate, and like American Patriot said, many are very innacurate.

As far as reliablity, keep it moderatetly clean and use a decent ammo and you shouldn't have any problems. There have been many improvements to the design over the years to improve reliablity.

EDIT: Edited to save my dignity. There's a good chance I was drinking when I made this post. I definitely know the difference between an M14 and a Mini 14. Completely different class.

usafbalad
03-28-2005, 12:47 AM
Haha...he said MINI 14 not m14 bro. Two completely different rifles....

If you were considering going the ruger route, I would go get the mini 30.

7.62 mm .......

I myself own a AR 15 (Armalite) and I love it to death. As long as you take care of it you wont have any problems.

Just DO NOT buy Olympic Arms or ASA. They suck.

Get either: Rock River Arms, Armalite, or Bushmaster.

Twombles375
03-28-2005, 01:04 AM
AR-15 No doubt. Though I do like the power behined the springfield M1A.

yiorgo
03-28-2005, 01:04 AM
AR15 hands down for accuracy ...if i had to make a pick...go with a Robarm preferably the new XCR that is coming out...will be able to shoot 223, 6.8 and 7.62x39 from same rifle only changing barrel, bolt, and mag.....Never liked the AR15 becouse of the reason that you constantly have to keep it clean to function....to me that just doesnt cut it...if you want a reliable weapon in my opinion it has to have a Operating rod examples FAL, AKs, Robinson arms M96(beautiful rifle).....that is one of the reasons for the SCAR program for special forces( biggest reasons were for more reliability and the ability to change calibers fast) and if you have noticed alot of companies are making the transition to op rod design in their ARs from the conventional blow back into bolt method (very dirty causing many jams).....so accuracy wise AR, reliability Mini 14(even though you should get 2 to 3 inches at 100yrds with the mini 14 and really thats all you need)

TacoDelRio
03-28-2005, 01:27 AM
AR15.

Don't get a Mini-14. That's our states "assault rifle". It's a fine ranch rifle, but since you're on a military site, I gotta assume you might need to slot some humans with one later on down the road...

eggroll
03-28-2005, 02:24 AM
ar-15

Frens
03-28-2005, 03:54 AM
AR15! ;)

I heard bad things about the accuracy of Mini14..

Warrior(Spain)
03-28-2005, 08:09 AM
AR-15 woot

Swedish Chef
03-28-2005, 08:10 AM
Just the price on accessories and parts for the Ruger vs. the AR would make me go with the AR.

gaijinsamurai
03-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Go for the AR-15. Previous posters are correct regarding the AR-15/M-16's less than stellar reliability, but unless you are a grunt in the field for prolonged periods of time, it isn't much to worry about. The AR-15 will give you a lot better accuracy than the Ruger, and magazines and parts will be cheaper and easier to find! I've owned a Bushmaster and an Olympic Arms, and I strongly recommend either the Bushmaster or an Armalite!

Frens
03-28-2005, 08:46 AM
you should go with Bushmaster: it's cheaper than Colt and better than all other. their barrels are 4150 steel chrome lined. you can't go wrong.

;)

VaLiancY
03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Looks like your getting an AR-15.

Turbo
03-28-2005, 03:34 PM
looks that way, i need something that can hide under bed for period of time with out cleaning, and then be subject to hard use

Turbo
03-28-2005, 03:36 PM
im also looking at a H&k g3 imported by georgia arms

shadower
03-28-2005, 03:43 PM
You probably won't go to desert to shoot it so there is no reason not to buy ar15.

HoboWithAK
03-28-2005, 03:44 PM

I think he means Mini 14 or Model 14 by saying M. And i've never heard as many bad things about OlyArms.

Swedish Chef
03-28-2005, 05:00 PM
Be careful with the HK clones Turbo. If you decide to go that route I recomend you ask around at HKPRO (http://hkpro.websolv.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=) first.

Turbo
03-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Be careful with the HK clones Turbo. If you decide to go that route I recomend you ask around at HKPRO (http://hkpro.websolv.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=) first.

thanks i will

Swedish Chef
03-28-2005, 06:54 PM
You're welcome Turbo.

Edit: I might add that HK vs. Brand X topics are not allowed. But you can get more info on HK clones there than anywhere else.

scrybe
03-28-2005, 09:14 PM

I think he means Mini 14 or Model 14 by saying M. And i've never heard as many bad things about OlyArms.

My post has been edited. :D

jprichard
03-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Beware of the AR-15 it can lead to a serious drain on your bank account! There are accessories galore, endless possibilities and options for this rifle.
Its easy to get addicted to this rifle.

ramy
03-28-2005, 10:14 PM
Beware of the AR-15 it can lead to a serious drain on your bank account! There are accessories galore, endless possibilities and options for this rifle.
Its easy to get addicted to this rifle.

He is right ! Its called Black Rifle Disease and I think I have a non curable form.

I have one ar-15 and have plans for a couple
more ... :roll: :|

Going to be broke soon.... :oops:

Virus
03-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Get an ak74....10x kewler :D

TacoDelRio
03-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Virus is the most correct ******* in the world. ;)

Sike!

I second other member's notions on Bushmasters and Armalites being of higher quality. Colt's are not bad, I had one in-service, none beyond that. Tried my friend's OLYARMS XM177, did not really like it. Armalite has very well machined parts! Over-engineered in some respects.

Have a good one.

sergey31
03-29-2005, 03:11 AM
Have you considered Kel Tech SU 16?.... They are much more accurate then any Mini 14.

Turbo
03-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Have you considered Kel Tech SU 16?.... They are much more accurate then any Mini 14.

i am mainly sticking to guns i know .... that H&k is a very good gun ....

sergey31
03-29-2005, 11:21 AM
SU 16 (.223) has very similar firing mechanism as AR 15 = accurate (Also accepts AR/M4 mags.
Mini 14 has a very similar firing design as M1A Garand.... Large/heavy rotating bolt slamming back and fourth.... Not much accuracy in .223 in lightweight short barrel.

SU 16 can easily maintain 1" at 100 yd.
The best Mini 14 can do is 4".

They're both run for pretty much the same price.

Nice looking rifle too... They have 4 diferent models.... All accept AR magazines.
http://www.kel-tec.com/images/SU-163viewsmerged.jpg
http://www.kel-tec.com/images/SU-16CA.jpg
http://www.kel-tec.com/images/su-16d9&d12.jpg
http://www.kel-tec.com/images/su16bopencloselarge.jpg
http://www.kel-tec.com/images/su16cside.jpg

Turbo
03-29-2005, 11:56 AM
im looking at a .308 or the .223 at the time

sergey31
03-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Su 16 is .223

Turbo
03-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Su 16 is .223

i know that it is a good round, im just lookin for something with a bigger punch

Chuck6d
03-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Why is this even a topic? :cantbeli:
ARs rule!
Mini 14s suck.

You want something with take down then get an M1a. But remember with the bigger punch comes more weight ie Ammo and the weapon itself. Also a bigger punch to your shoulder. :lol:

Turbo
03-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Why is this even a topic? :cantbeli:
ARs rule!
Mini 14s suck.

You want something with take down then get an M1a. But remember with the bigger punch comes more weight ie Ammo and the weapon itself. Also a bigger punch to your shoulder. :lol:

im not woried about weight or recoil i can handle it

TacoDelRio
03-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Let the professionals handle this! Let's start with simple quesitons:
1. How much money are you willing to spend?
2. Do you intend to hunt with it? If so, for what animals?
3. In all honesty, what distances do you intend to shoot it at?

Turbo
03-29-2005, 07:48 PM
Let the professionals handle this! Let's start with simple quesitons:
1. How much money are you willing to spend?
2. Do you intend to hunt with it? If so, for what animals?
3. In all honesty, what distances do you intend to shoot it at?

$700
dogs and coyotes
300 yards mayb more

TacoDelRio
03-30-2005, 03:40 AM
.223's are great for coyotes. The heavier 77gr bullets, offered by Federal ammunition, are quite nice on coyotes, both the kind that yelp, and the kind that smuggle Mexicans over the border! ;)

For $700, I'd definitely suggest an AR. I've got more reasons:
-You can buy one lower reciever, and get multiple uppers.
-You can get a 16" Bbl upper for a truck rifle, or close-in "fun-times", as we say.
-You can get a 24" Bbl upper for varmint shooting, if you ever really get into it, off a bench, or ****e, whatever suits you.
-You can get an upper in another caliber, such as .204 Ruger, which, at over 4,000fps, really does a number on them varmints!
-ACCURACY of a well-built AR, such as a Bushmaster, is excellent. Load your ammo and see what works, and you'll have a tackdriver after enough testing!
-Magazines are plentiful, and cheap.
-Accessories are, well, EVERYWHERE.
-It's a COOLASS rifle!!!!!!!!!!!

As one can see, you got some benefits to the AR there, buddy!

If you got anymore questions, send me a PM.

Have a good one!

-Ryan

Frens
03-30-2005, 06:31 AM
.223's are great for coyotes. The heavier 77gr bullets, offered by Federal ammunition, are quite nice on coyotes, both the kind that yelp, and the kind that smuggle Mexicans over the border! ;)

For $700, I'd definitely suggest an AR. I've got more reasons:
-You can buy one lower reciever, and get multiple uppers.
-You can get a 16" Bbl upper for a truck rifle, or close-in "fun-times", as we say.
-You can get a 24" Bbl upper for varmint shooting, if you ever really get into it, off a bench, or ****e, whatever suits you.
-You can get an upper in another caliber, such as .204 Ruger, which, at over 4,000fps, really does a number on them varmints!
-ACCURACY of a well-built AR, such as a Bushmaster, is excellent. Load your ammo and see what works, and you'll have a tackdriver after enough testing!
-Magazines are plentiful, and cheap.
-Accessories are, well, EVERYWHERE.
-It's a COOLASS rifle!!!!!!!!!!!

As one can see, you got some benefits to the AR there, buddy!

If you got anymore questions, send me a PM.

Have a good one!

-Ryan

big +1!

GreatWarAZUS
03-30-2005, 07:36 PM
It seems that I, too, am in the market for an AR-15 type rifle. Already have a FAL, AKM, and SKS (among many other bolt-guns), so I suppose it's high time to add an AR to the collection. At the moment, I'm trying to decide between an Armalite M15A2 Carbine and a Rock River Arms CAR A2, both of which have the mid-length handguards (I want the ability to use a bayonet without having to modify the bayonet or rifle), 6 position stock, flash hider, bayonet lug, etc. Price differential is $1,100 for the Armalite and $900 for the RRA. I've read good things about both, and right now, I'd much rather spend $900. But, if Armalite is really that much better (as I've heard), I might be swayed.

-GreatWarAZUS

GreatWarAZUS
03-30-2005, 11:41 PM
Guess the ol' tax return's gonna have to give me a little help here.

*Starts the paperwork.*

-GreatWarAZUS

TacoDelRio
03-31-2005, 11:33 PM
You're telling me!

And I gotta do the rest of it too. Damnit!

GreatWarAZUS
03-31-2005, 11:46 PM
Just keep thinking of the end result. All will be well. :)

-GreatWarAZUS

scrybe
04-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Greatwar, you may want to consider an A3 receiver so you have the benefit of the removeable carry handle and flat top for mounting optics.

TacoDelRio
04-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Good point, Scrybe!

Easier optics mounting, closer ot the bore, better cheekweld, all that mumbo jumbo means buy it!

Durandal
04-01-2005, 12:04 PM
I love all these posts about ARs being unreliable.

*chuckle*

Completely reliable. Even if you clean the gun after every OTHER shoot.

GreatWarAZUS
04-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Right out of high school (a few months after Sept. 11), I went to sign up for the Army, got the paperwork all completed and whatnot (recruiters wanted me in 'cause I scored tops on the ASVAB, #1 in the district - not to mention I was willing to volunteer). Then they found out about a prior heart condition I had, which is no longer a factor. Never even let me get to basic. :( Still think it's the biggest load of BS. Now the family tradition can't be completed, nor can I join my friends who are in the service. Guess that's life, eh? Regardless, I still hang out with my friends who are in the military (mostly Army), and a great deal of my co-workers are ex-military. They're a great group. :) Good call on the A3 receiver. I'll likely go that route. Does Armalite even offer the rifle in question with in an A3 version? If not, I guess I can always swap 'em out.

-GreatWarAZUS

Chuck6d
04-01-2005, 06:05 PM
If you feel you got a bad deal go to another recruiter.......

Your Answers for everything should be:
N O = Numerous Opurtunities

Y E S=Your Enlistment Stops here

Best of luck

Durandal
04-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Does Armalite even offer the rifle in question with in an A3 version?

Yes.

http://www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/rifles/M15A4_RIFLE.jpg

But they call it the "A4".

GreatWarAZUS
04-02-2005, 12:23 AM
Durandal, the rifle you display lacks two features I'm looking for:

1. Bayonet lug.
2. 16" barrel with midlength handguard to facilitate the use of said bayonet.

I shall do more research.

Chuck6d, I've got one more year before I finish college. For now, that comes first. If they need me, they know where to look. :)

-GreatWarAZUS

agcsy
04-02-2005, 05:10 AM
Ar-15's suck! Just watch this video

http://www.gunsmokeenterprises.net/VIDEO.htm

sergey31
04-02-2005, 05:56 AM

Seriously... What military assault rifle could not do that???? I can't think of any. Torture test should be, dropping weapon from certain height, beating it against the tree or whatever, mud/sand, maybe a vehicle driving over it etc.
That video does not really show anything spectacular or unusual. :roll:

Anyway... Here is a intersting site re: Kel Tec SU16
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeonrw7/index.html

Dennis G
04-02-2005, 11:30 AM

Seriously... What military assault rifle could not do that???? I can't think of any. Torture test should be, dropping weapon from certain height, beating it against the tree or whatever, mud/sand, maybe a vehicle driving over it etc.
That video does not really show anything spectacular or unusual. :roll:

Anyway... Here is a intersting site re: Kel Tec SU16
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeonrw7/index.html

I have to agree, anyone ever seen the AK test video from suppressivefire.com or what ever that site was.

BTW, I've never had any problems with my AR's

Durandal
04-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Durandal, the rifle you display lacks two features I'm looking for:

1. Bayonet lug.
2. 16" barrel with midlength handguard to facilitate the use of said bayonet.

I shall do more research.

Chuck6d, I've got one more year before I finish college. For now, that comes first. If they need me, they know where to look. :)

-GreatWarAZUS

Just listing one of them...they have a carbine version as well.

You can also look at other companies...which would be my suggestion.

I just got a new upper a couple months ago. A lot of times the A3 models will have a weaver rail gas block so you can attach low viz sights like the stuff A.R.M.S. makes.

Personally, the bayonet lug has never been a "selling-point" to me, simply because I will NEVER have a use for it. That's me though. Other's like true milspec, but unless you are getting a NFA select fire, it never will be anyways.[/quote]

scrybe
04-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Sounds like what you are looking for is exactly what I bought recently. My Bushmaster M4/A3:

http://img224.exs.cx/img224/971/m4side26od.jpg

GreatWarAZUS
04-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Scrybe - Not bad! How much did that set ya back, if you don't mind me askin'...?

Durandal - I technically have no use for it as well, but I'd like it to be there just for the hell of it. Nostalgic, I guess.

MrS - No go on the waiver. Like you said, I've tried practically every possible route. I appreciate the concern, but don't worry about it. I don't let it get to me anymore. :)

-GreatWarAZUS