PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Army, National Guard, Marines?

deccantrap
10-24-2005, 10:50 PM
What is the difference between Army, National Guard, Marines?

Is Marine different than an Army soldier? Is the National Guard a regular army?

Someone please enlighten me.

Aerosoul
10-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Uhm...ok.

USMC - United States Marine Corps. Affiliated with the Department of the Navy. Units include the regular Marine Divisions and Battallions, as well as Recon, Force Recon, etc.

US Army - A seperate military branch including Infantry, Airborne, Armor, Cav units, etc. Special Forces, Rangers, too.

National Guard - "Weekend Warriors."

The USMC and the Army are similar in ways, but also different. I'll let someone else explain in more detail.

deccantrap
10-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks.

Are Marines and Army soldiers ever trained or based in same installations ? I mean would u ever see a Marine training at, say, Ft Bennings, GA, or do they train in Naval training centers?

Omaha
10-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Are Marines and Army soldiers ever trained or based in same installations ? I mean would u ever see a Marine training at, say, Ft Bennings, GA, or do they train in Naval training centers?

No. Marines and Army don't train together. They hardly even operate together.

DnA
10-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Marines can attend the US Army Basic Airborne Course, Ranger course, etc.

National Guard a little bit more than weekend warriors, especially now with lots of NG soldiers over in Iraq.

Deuterium
10-24-2005, 11:07 PM
No. Marines and Army don't train together. They hardly even operate together.

Not even close to being accurate. Marines and the Army train together all the time. We go to the same schools together as well.

Omaha
10-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Not even close to being accurate. Marines and the Army train together all the time. We go to the same schools together as well.

Sorry, I didn't make my post clear I was meaning basic training.

I couldn't comment on anything after that.

Creeper
10-24-2005, 11:15 PM
I was about to say! - but no - dropping smoke to eat a pizza.

Creeper
10-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks.

OK- my pizza is inbound.

Your question is far too general to answer. Are you referring to Air/ground/support/ ???? - ya gotta be alittle more specfic as to what "type of forces" you want to know about. Basic training or Advanced Multi -unit dragging knukles??? Forces do work with other forces in large training scenarios - even real small as well.
FE: Marines attend Army Military Police school in Alabama. That is one of seveeral examples. Navy, AF, and Marine attend the only DOD FreeFall school @ FT. Bragg.
BTW- do you live in the states(US) ? No - then where?

deccantrap
10-24-2005, 11:49 PM
yeah i live here, in MS.

i was never a keen military enthusiast till a while ago, and always thought marines had something to do with the navy (because of their name lol) when i was a kid but somehow started thinking they are the army because i always saw them on land operations!

but thanks. i only wanted to know the basic difference.

Creeper
10-24-2005, 11:58 PM
Yes, the marines are a SUB- department of the Navy ( the two wear the same bdu covers.)
hope that helps , if not ask away !

MKtexan
10-25-2005, 02:37 AM
i would not call the National Guard weekend warriors. i consider myself a warrior 24/7, ready to complete my mission whenever needed. i am not just a warrior on 1 weekend a month.

mi35d
10-25-2005, 03:56 AM

A typical ignorant response.

The US National Guard (Air and Army) handles about 50% of the military functions of the US Military. Hardly "weekend warriors".

The term could certainly have been placed on many units about 15-20 years ago but since Desert Storm and the reorganization process that occured, the NG took on far more important roles than it had in the past.

An example was the creation of a unified training structure. Officers and Enlisted have to attend the active duty Branch/MOS schools and meet the same training requirement as the actives.

Creeper
10-25-2005, 04:17 AM
2 add on the prevouis 2 posts: There are boat load of AD guys and Girls that still ahve a hard-on for the gig.
In my old gig, ther were **** load of Rangers who still wanted to work, plus a Frog, and a guy from FR, a handful of 82nd Airplane Squad, and on and on.
Plenty of GI Joe skills across the table. Definetly not a bunch of fat old Bastards.

Lance_Colonel
10-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Marines are referred to as "America's 911 Force" We have the ability to have a brigade sized element on the ground anywhere in the world with enough supplies, equipment and ammunition to sustain itself for 30 days. This is due to the Maritime Prepositioning Ships. This is for Tanks, Artillery, AAV's, LAV's, Infantry, Cobras, F-18's and Harriers.

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/factfile/ships/ship-tak3.html

To combine with this, combat units with in the Marine Corps are always ready for deployment. I still have my MOBSOP (Mobilization SOP) gear from when I was in, because I put in a tote and sealed it up. It is all the personal and hygiene gear I need to support my self for 90 days. Having the capability to be on the ground and ready for combat anywhere in the world within 48 hours is a unique characteristic of the Marine Corps as a whole.

On an individual basis, each Marine is considered a rifleman. No matter what your job will be in the Fleet Marine Force (FMF) every Marine attends Marine Combat Training for 2 weeks of weapons familiarization and basic infantry patrol classes. You get to shoot every personal and crew-served weapon used by the infantry in the FMF. Then you attend your individual school. Still having to qualify with the M-16 annually on the rifle range.

There is one thing that distinguishes Marines from the other services and it is reflected in the individual Marine, and that is "Attention to Detail" Marines take pride in knowing their history. From claiming to be the first to raise the American Flag on Foreign soil (Tripoli) to the Battle of Bellau Wood where we were given the title of "teufel hunden" or "Devil Dogs". Marines get their haircut once a week to always look sharp. Our uniforms are the sharpest and most squared away. The Marines are the ones tasked with protecting every American Embassy in the world. President Ronald Reagan summed it up best "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines donít have that problem."

Beppo
10-25-2005, 09:16 AM
I just noticed that none of the above replies answers his basic question: What is the difference between Army and Marines? They're both ground troops (as opposed to the Navy and Air Force in general), they both have rapid-deployment forces, they both have combat arms as well as rear-echelon support jobs...what is that the Army does that the Marines don't? And what is it that the Marines do the the Army doesn't? Aside from being attached to the Navy, the yearly swim test, and the possibility of being stationed on board a ship, I can't think of any real big differences.

By the way to answer the other part of his question, the National Guard is part of the Army and/or Air Force that serves in the military at home and only part of the time (one weekend a month, two full weeks a year -- unless they get sent to Iraq, hehe). They differ from the Reserves in that they (are supposed to) function mainly to serve the State or territory they live in, coming together usually during times of disaster or emergency. There are Reserve forces in all branches, but only the Air Force and the Army have National Guard forces as well.

ed316
10-25-2005, 12:21 PM
the Marines act more like a rapid response force that's why there is Always 3 to 4 MEU's sailing the high seas

Aerosoul
10-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Excuse me for responding so "ignorantly" as someone put it, to call the NG "Weekend Warriors." I didn't elaborate on it, but I put it in quotations so as to point out that it is the NG that's being referred to when people say the therm "weekend warrior."

Angelino
10-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Regarding the difference between the Army, Navy, Airforce and Marines, someone (was it Gunny?) put it best like this:

When you join the army, you're a soldier immediately after you sign the dotted line.
When you join the navy, you're a sailor immediately after you sign the dotted line.
When you join the airforce, you're an airman immediately after you sign the dotted line.
When you join the marines, you're a marine only after you pass basic training. Until then, you're just a freakin' recruit.

KEEPER0311
10-26-2005, 12:04 AM
yeah i live here, in MS.

i was never a keen military enthusiast till a while ago, and always thought marines had something to do with the navy (because of their name lol) when i was a kid but somehow started thinking they are the army because i always saw them on land operations!

Well the Marine Corp and the Army are similar in many respects. But the main difference is their size and mobility. The Marine Corp is set up and used in most cases as shock troops, they go in and blow a hole in the enemy lines, and hold the beach head, airport, harbor, ect. for the army. The Army is geared towards a long slugged out battle. Explaining why the Army has so many tanks, and other huge armored divisions, along with the 400,000 man differnce in personel.

MCWARPIG
10-26-2005, 12:56 AM
yeah i live here, in MS.

Basic differences are that the 4 Cardinal Forces have different methods of deployment. One big difference between the US ARMY and the US MARINE CORPS is the size of the force. ARMY is the largest at about 600,000 but used to top out at over a Million. The Marines have stayed pretty much the same size (200,000.) National Guard and Reservists have varied their numbers and roles over history. Currently the National Guard has made up approx. 50% of the combat fighting forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. The NG also is the primary force that is responsible for Homeland Defense. These weekend warriors basically have a local mission, state mission, and federal mission while maintaining their civilian jobs, businesses, etc.

Marines' role in combat are just what you would imagine... rain hate and discontent in a loud, military manner. They are basically our "brawlers." The US Navy has the job of projecting air power as well as marines and their support from the sea. The Airforce obviously maintains Air Superiority in combat as well as support for ground forces. The Army is basically the large hub for all of these. US ARMY combat tactics in comparison to the MARINE CORPS is more like comparing a boxer to a brawler. The size and diversity of the ARMY is what sets it apart from all the other forces.

Violence Of Action
10-26-2005, 01:28 AM
Army- big boys, carry the heavy weapons and mass formations on the conventional side.

Marines- quick reaction force, small numbers, light equiptment, meant to hold or stabalize a situiation until the army gets there

ARNG- the reserves, an extention of the Army meant for homeland defence

Violence Of Action
10-26-2005, 01:29 AM
hooah(i agree)

tried to quote MKtexan...didnt work

ed316
10-26-2005, 01:37 AM
i would not call the National Guard weekend warriors. i consider myself a warrior 24/7, ready to complete my mission whenever needed. i am not just a warrior on 1 weekend a month.

Don't take crap from anyone:)

Baboonass
10-26-2005, 01:47 AM

Then why not go AD?

Look, I know this is going to piss a few of you off but NG isn't even close to being AD. Living the life and doing the deed full time is an entirely different world than the part timers.

I'm not bashing the NG guys, far from it. They are doing the deed in bad guy land and doing very well at it.

That being said, it's not the same. I was AD for 10 years, then active reserves for 3 years, so I've seen it from both sides. Don't try and paint a picture of something it ain't.

Violence Of Action
10-26-2005, 01:57 AM
Then why not go AD?

Look, I know this is going to piss a few of you off but NG isn't even close to being AD. Living the life and doing the deed full time is an entirely different world than the part timers.

I'm not bashing the NG guys, far from it. They are doing the deed in bad guy land and doing very well at it.

That being said, it's not the same. I was AD for 10 years, then active reserves for 3 years, so I've seen it from both sides. Don't try and paint a picture of something it ain't.

most guys in the guard are either prior service or are like me and are doing whatever they can to get as much as they can out of the army as early as possible, i know a few sergeants who joined the guard when they were 34 with no prior service, never saw combat, and now just mooch of the army, but the vast majority of guys out there are great soldiers. with the war in iraq now we're seeing how powerful and neccesary the guard is. granted im doing it for college, i am proud to be a soldier in the guard. it was the smartest approach, and i bet most of the Army's best soldiers come from the RSP programs

Baboonass
10-26-2005, 02:25 AM
most guys in the guard are either prior service or are like me and are doing whatever they can to get as much as they can out of the army as early as possible, i know a few sergeants who joined the guard when they were 34 with no prior service, never saw combat, and now just mooch of the army, but the vast majority of guys out there are great soldiers. with the war in iraq now we're seeing how powerful and neccesary the guard is. granted im doing it for college, i am proud to be a soldier in the guard. it was the smartest approach, and i bet most of the Army's best soldiers come from the RSP programs

The fact there are prior service types in a NG unit does little to do with the fact life as a NG component and life in an AD unit are two seperate worlds. AD units live the life, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Unless there is some sort of action were a NG or reserve unit is activated, you get to keep a steady job, are home the majority of the time, and have a little fun once a month, two weeks a year. It's not the same, not even close.

Perhaps it's the smartest approch for you, fine, good on ya. It may not be the smartest approch for every one.

deptacon
10-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Uhm...ok.

I resent that... don't speak of it if you know nothing about it , or about how it has changed dramtically in the last 5 years

rajkhalsa
12-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Regarding the difference between the Army, Navy, Airforce and Marines, someone (was it Gunny?) put it best like this:

When you join the army, you're a soldier immediately after you sign the dotted line.
When you join the navy, you're a sailor immediately after you sign the dotted line.
When you join the airforce, you're an airman immediately after you sign the dotted line.
When you join the marines, you're a marine only after you pass basic training. Until then, you're just a freakin' recruit.:lol: Awesome

Crewdog
12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
If someone has already posted this I did not see it as I skimmed through the posts. One of the biggest differences in the National Guard is that they are state troops, they answer to their states governor. They belong to their state of origin until activated. There is also the reserve elements which are federal reserves.

If someone has a better way to explain this please do.