PDA

View Full Version : Navy SEALs and SPR

Ravage
11-20-2005, 02:03 PM
I have some questions regarding the Mk. 12 MOD 0 SPR and Navy SEAL Teams:

#1: Are the SEALs equipped with this rifle, the M-4 SPR. And if so, are there any photos of SEALs with the M-4 SPR ?

#2: If You look at this photo, You will se SEALs in an CH-47 in A-stan.
http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/3513/seals0qz.th.jpg (http://img284.imageshack.us/my.php?image=seals0qz.jpg)
The guy on the right, is holding an M-4, but there is another "M-4 like" weapon with him, could that be an SPR ? ? ?

What do You think ?

P.S: If You have ANY photos of SEALs with the SPR, PLEASE post them here....THANK YOU

thatguy96
11-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Its far more like that this is the elusive weapon known as "The Recon Rifle." There are no "M4 SPRs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Recon_Rifle

abncougar
11-20-2005, 03:35 PM
wikipedia isn't exactly the most reliable of sources.

abncougar
11-20-2005, 03:35 PM

EXO
11-20-2005, 03:49 PM
or maybe an SPR with an M4 stock ?

banksster
11-20-2005, 04:06 PM
I think I may have a pic of a SEAL with an SPR actually, I'll look around for it and post it up if I find it.

Blarney
11-20-2005, 05:07 PM
sweet he has the oakley gloves, those things are so good

thatguy96
11-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I wrote the Wikipedia entry. Its as reliable as I am.

abncougar
11-20-2005, 05:33 PM
I wrote the Wikipedia entry. Its as reliable as I am.

OK,

i listened to a great report on NPR about college professors telling their students to stay away from wikipedia because of reliablity and quality of information.

no disrespect intended to you.

Ravage
11-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Here is the video, I hope it is not a repost:

http://www.***************/?d=QKZOX4A6

thatguy96
11-20-2005, 05:51 PM
OK,

i listened to a great report on NPR about college professors telling their students to stay away from wikipedia because of reliablity and quality of information.

no disrespect intended to you.
It is true. The wikipedia should not be cited as the end all and be all, and I wouldn't cite it in any academic work I would write. However, I use it as a storage space for information I've collected, and while I put a similar disclaimer on it, I stand firmly behind my work, because I actively edit in the face of new information.

RFSU
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
SPRs do come with telescopic stocks. but it's probably more likely that he is holding the weapon of the guy who took the photo.

DUH!

sjsoon
11-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Here is the video, I hope it is not a repost:

http://www.***************/?d=QKZOX4A6

nice stuff.. would like the complete clip .....

DE_Six
11-20-2005, 11:27 PM
It is true. The wikipedia should not be cited as the end all and be all, and I wouldn't cite it in any academic work I would write. However, I use it as a storage space for information I've collected, and while I put a similar disclaimer on it, I stand firmly behind my work, because I actively edit in the face of new information.

Yeah, I noticed the Recon rifle entry changed since last time I read it.

Thanks for keeping it updated.

thatguy96
11-21-2005, 07:37 AM
Yeah, I noticed the Recon rifle entry changed since last time I read it.

Thanks for keeping it updated.
Actually, I think Pettifogger might have been the last one to change it. I trust that he too actually finds new information to do so as well.

Ravage
11-21-2005, 08:52 AM
SPRs do come with telescopic stocks. but it's probably more likely that he is holding the weapon of the guy who took the photo.

DUH!

WRONG, the photo was taken by a photographer from CBS.
BTW, You can see a telescopic sight mounteed on his weapon, and that he is holding another weapon (an Mk.18 perchaps)

SPR Model 12
11-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I was also very interested to see that vidcap of the SEAL holding the scoped AR. It's too bad we can't see the forend, as it is most likely either a Recce or an SPR, depending on barrel length (SPR=18", Recce=16"). The use of the Nightforce NXS scope (looks like the 2.5-10x24) is the key.

FWIW, I changed the Wikipedia entry last.

SPR

Tranceaddict
11-21-2005, 10:02 PM
the SPR is not at all what they submitted to Crane when looking for their new rifle. They submitted the "SEAL Recce Rifle" to Crane and what came out was the SPR. The SPR is too heavy and unweildy. NSW guys wanted an M4 that was able to reach out a little further, not some dedicated and heavy rifle such as the Mk12. The recce rifle has since then been resubmitted to Crane and production is on-going. No pics of one in use have been found.

MK11s and MK12s have been retrofitted with Crane or standard telescopic stocks as well, so the pic can only give an opportunity for all of us to speculate

Also, just to add, a recce rifle is not a 16" SPR, it's a 16" Chrome Lined Barrel M4 with a midlength rail system with a carbine length gas system.

SPR Model 12
11-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Tranceaddict,

I agree that a Recce is not a 16" SPR. Recces do utilize a carbine length gas system and Lilja barrels, while SPRs use a midlength gas system and mostly Douglas barrels.

My understanding, however, is that NAVSPECWAR operators have a wider variety of forend options on their Recces, and while mid-length KAC RASs were popular, some have moved to full-length forends from KAC (long RAS) and LaRue (12.0 and 13.2).

YMMV.

Will