PDA

View Full Version : Battleground Europe - WWII Online

Scottie
01-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Anyone tried this?? Looks good, i may have to buy it!

http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp

RandallH1989
01-13-2006, 10:11 PM
Been discussed A LOT. It's worth it. Just know what you're doing, don't spawn 200 km off of where everybody is and whine about a low population like a lot of people do. :-)

Natemo
01-14-2006, 02:54 AM
I have played this game for 5 years no joke! I have an account.. Look me up and see my stats / kills / After actions reports. Right now I dont play since of school.

[b]This game is the best I have ever played , you want to have some budies to play with over team speak so you can work as a team. The most realistic war game ever![b]

Its feels like a real war zone.. also make sure you have the Hardware to play the game !

Scottie
01-14-2006, 03:43 AM
Sounds good :D

think ill have to go buy my new computer soon!! :)

getting excited about this game already :D

RandallH1989
01-14-2006, 03:53 AM
5 years. Sounds like me. But I am an on and off subscriber.

Scottie
01-14-2006, 03:58 AM
yea that seems to be a sucky thing about it, that you have to suscribe.

Zvucni Efekti
01-14-2006, 04:06 AM
It's well worth it, I've been playing since Oct '01, four months after it's debut. The Tiger has recently been added to the game, which is definitely a lot of fun to fight in. It's probably the most accurate WWIIOL simulation out there, with everything as accurately modeled as possible, and without the hitpoint system used by WWII first-person shooters. Penetration, armor values, everything is modeled.

Scottie
01-14-2006, 04:21 AM
Sweet, i just watched the trailer and its looking good!
The graphics aren't the best, but i'd take gameplay over graphics anytime.

RandallH1989
01-14-2006, 04:23 AM
People ***** about the graphics and subscription fees. IT'S AN MMO. Secondly, it's 5 years old.

Glad you're not *****ing about it. :-)

Hellfish
01-14-2006, 03:58 PM
I played it for a while. The learning curve is high, but it's worth it when you figure out whats going on. It really does feel like a war zone - you can see flak in the distance, aircraft fighting above, etc. The graphics were actually a lot better than I thought they'd be - once you're ingame you'll probably be impressed with the view distance and fidelity of the graphics.

I just didn't have time for it anymore, so I stopped playing. I might go back to it someday, but WWII isn't really my thing. I'd much rather see a Warsaw Pact vs. NATO MMO.

Laworkerbee
01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
I played it for a while. The learning curve is high, but it's worth it when you figure out whats going on. It really does feel like a war zone - you can see flak in the distance, aircraft fighting above, etc. The graphics were actually a lot better than I thought they'd be - once you're ingame you'll probably be impressed with the view distance and fidelity of the graphics.

I just didn't have time for it anymore, so I stopped playing. I might go back to it someday, but WWII isn't really my thing. I'd much rather see a Warsaw Pact vs. NATO MMO.

Good call, when they have T-62's rolling across the Fulda Gap wake me up. WWII was fun back in the day with many hours spent in a tank at Cambre.

Impulse_t0
01-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Eh, wwII online was never that good, still full of bugs.

Battlefield 2 all the way.

Ratamacue
01-17-2006, 02:19 PM

I don't know how you can even compare those two games. WWIIOL is an MMO taking place across a half-scale map of Belgium, southern Netherlands, Luxembourg, northern France, and western Germany. BF2 has a max player limit of 64 (?) and the maps are small enough that jets can't fly in a straight line for more than 10 seconds. Let's not even get into the differences in realism.

Hellfish
01-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Why aren't you banned?

Impulse_t0
01-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Why would I be banned?

Ratamacue
01-17-2006, 05:00 PM
We all know that graphics determine the quality of a game.

Anyway, that shot looks to be from the original release of WWIIOL. I have no problem finding people and missions (especially since brigade spawning was implemented). Graphics, frame rates, UI, and stability have improved substantially since its original release. Infantry gameplay in particular has been changed a great deal, and I just got a newsletter the other day that CRS has dedicated over half its staff now to improve the infantry.

Sure the graphics aren't exactly up to par with BF2 or other modern first person shooters, but you try taking graphics like that and making a game that supports thousands of people playing at the same time over a seamless map covering thousands of square kilometers. Check out the game map:

http://map.wwiionline.com/belgium_front.html

Click on the strategic map button and look at the number of different towns and cities in the game. Add to that realistic flight physics and tank gameplay, and BF2 is really just any other FPS. The main stigma that the WWIIOL team has to overcome is the fact that people like yourself already have a sort of predetermined bias against the game because it had an absolutely horrible initial release.

Ratamacue
01-17-2006, 05:19 PM
http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/be_media.jsp

Check there for a trailer and some screenshots of the re-release of the game. Unfortunately, they're kind of small, so I'll try to get some later.

Impulse_t0
01-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Looks a lot better, but still dated.

Omg I forgot about the urban combat. That was awesome, how you could go into any house, anywhere.

Hellfish
01-17-2006, 06:50 PM
How quickly we come around.

Impulse_t0
01-17-2006, 06:52 PM
How quickly we come around.

If you're hinting I somehow miraculously changed my mind, I didn't.

Hellfish
01-17-2006, 06:55 PM
I think you did.

Zvucni Efekti
01-17-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't think you'd have time to play video games in the IDF anyway. :roll:

Impulse_t0
01-17-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't think you'd have time to play video games in the IDF anyway. :roll:

All the time. Actually I play this really cool game called IDF, you play as Israeli soldiers from Golani 51 and you shoot Hezbollah terrorists, so awesome you should try it.

I posted some screen shots of it in the thread titled, Impulse_t0 a faker? Or something.

Natemo
01-18-2006, 12:48 AM

I just could not get past people taking more then 2 bullets and moving on just fine in BF2... could never get past that.. The game has some cool stuff but over all If a bullet hits ya in the face you should be dead :) I would take a small button bug over that any day./ I also think ww2online ver 1.2 is a game for real men if ya know what i mean.

and next time you try to compare something use up to date pics ;)

RandallH1989
01-18-2006, 12:56 AM
What people don't understand is that WWII online is an MMO. MMO's ALWAYS have worse graphics than games that aren't MMO's, that use technology from the same time. The graphics are fine.

Impulse_t0
01-18-2006, 01:19 AM
http://militaryphotos.net/forums/images/reputation/reputation_pos.gifBattleground Europe -... (http://militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1398787#post1398787)01-17-2006 11:51 PMnazi

????????????????????????????????????????????????

towelie
01-18-2006, 01:50 AM
that was me btw

Impulse_t0
01-18-2006, 03:12 AM
that was me btw

You are bizarre.