PDA

View Full Version : "Stay back or we shoot!"

Avary
02-01-2006, 02:23 AM
Any good pictures of US, MNF, and Canadian vehicules in Iraq and Afghanistan clearly showing those "Stay back or we shoot" bigass signs for the Darwin Awards candidates?

JoaMei
02-01-2006, 02:26 AM
Any good pictures of US, MNF, and Canadian vehicules in Iraq and Afghanistan clearly showing those "Stay back or we shoot" bigass signs for the Darwin Awards candidates?

Wow, so they are Darwin award Candidates because they cant read english or cant read at all? :roll:

Avary
02-01-2006, 02:29 AM
The signs are Arabic AND English.

One?
02-01-2006, 02:34 AM

Afghans are not arabs.

Enduring Freedom
02-01-2006, 02:36 AM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1449/658854994ed3254e25bd0uu3on.th.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=658854994ed3254e25bd0uu3on.jpg)

Avary
02-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Afghans are not arabs.
That, I am aware as my brother trained the Afghan National Army during his tour in Op Athena.

Avary
02-01-2006, 02:38 AM
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1449/658854994ed3254e25bd0uu3on.th.jpg (http://img202.imageshack.us/my.php?image=658854994ed3254e25bd0uu3on.jpg)
Thanks Enduring Freedom. :hug:

Royal
02-01-2006, 02:48 AM

And a large proportion of the people in both countries, but especially Afghanistan are illiterate - they can't read Arabic either.

Avary
02-01-2006, 02:52 AM
And a large proportion of the people in both countries, but especially Afghanistan are illiterate - they can't read Arabic either.
Yes. But this illiteracy does not extend to Canadian diplomats and their entourage.

Pics?

spoonkilr
02-01-2006, 02:55 AM
will this suffice?

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6591/untitled12sk.th.png (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled12sk.png)

Avary
02-01-2006, 03:05 AM
will this suffice?

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6591/untitled12sk.th.png (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled12sk.png)
That's a very good one. :hug:

Mahoro
02-01-2006, 03:11 AM
http://i1.*******.com/n1545z.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

Lützower
02-01-2006, 04:56 AM
Here`s another one i found on the net, hope you like it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/Vargen/yankpolicy7ks.jpg

Chris
02-01-2006, 05:43 AM
good sign, kill everyone that hasnt eyes as good as an eagle

AmericanImperialist
02-01-2006, 06:33 AM
And what would you reccomend? :roll:

Frost
02-01-2006, 08:33 AM
And what would you reccomend? :roll:
A sign saying "if you can read this, you're *****ed" rofl

Fargin
02-01-2006, 08:43 AM
A sign saying "if you can read this, you're *****ed" rofl
Exuse me while I rofl twize.

wiking
02-01-2006, 09:03 AM

I sincerely doubt i'd be able to read that from a 100 meters (but it's not that easy to judge from the pic, might be bigger than i think it is).

Resevoir Hogs
02-01-2006, 09:28 AM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7479/is200505058jy.jpg

Hullebullen
02-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Seems unlikely you'd be able to read anyone of the those signs a 100m away, but you'd think that most people have learned that trying to pass or creep up on a vehicle column is a no-no...

Resevoir Hogs
02-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Plus there is the effort to just educate people about that fact. The sign seems like more of a reminder.

Lützower
02-01-2006, 10:24 AM
I sincerely doubt i'd be able to read that from a 100 meters (but it's not that easy to judge from the pic, might be bigger than i think it is).

Perhaps you can read it through the scope of a SVD Dragunov....;-)

Tolstoy
02-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm assuming you get close enough so you can read it, realise that you shouldn't be close enough so that you can read, and thus back the f*** up :)

Seraphim
02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Plus there is the effort to just educate people about that fact. The sign seems like more of a reminder.

X2...you guys need to use common sense.

Avary
02-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the contributions guys woot :hug:

brad 1
02-01-2006, 02:27 PM
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6591/untitled12sk.th.png (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled12sk.png)i want one for the back of my bike ha ha

usa320
02-01-2006, 02:41 PM
id like this sign. It would surely get rid of asshat tailgaters.

nick_ua
02-01-2006, 02:44 PM

try to read it from 100 meters esspecially when you driving and the car ahead is moving too.

so you can read sign like that "we gonna shot your ass anyway, just cause you f**r don't have a good eyes and we have a lot of bullets"

Mahoro
02-01-2006, 02:49 PM
I believe majority of the ppl already acknowledge that if there's a white sign wearing @ teh bak of the vechicle, they already assume to bak off.

ed316
02-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Warning shots are fired before it gets "serious"

Hater of people
02-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Warning shots are fired before it gets "serious"

Haha, yeah. Warning shots through the windshield! :bash:

ed316
02-01-2006, 03:11 PM

did they shoot at you? Because at FIRST hands and arm signals are use to warn the driver

Avary
02-01-2006, 03:47 PM
did they shoot at you? Because at FIRST hands and arm signals are use to warn the driver
A Progressive does not allow himself to be swayed by reality. You are not worthy.

Smok
02-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I believe majority of the ppl already acknowledge that if there's a white sign wearing @ teh bak of the vechicle, they already assume to bak off.

How many people died before population gained that knowledge?
I remember Iraqi family murdered at checkpoint because US soldiers were in panic.

Dronetek
02-01-2006, 05:29 PM

So easy for someone to say in the comfort of their home.

ert01
02-01-2006, 07:36 PM
The thing most people fail to realize is that this is a WAR. When there's another country that has invaded your country and they're driving around in Humvee's and Abrams, it's best to stay away from them because you know they're a firefight magnet... they're usually a bad thing to try to tailgate during wartime... and that's all the sign is saying. It's like a disclaimer saying if you're close to us, you're assuming the risks of your actions so stay the hell away.

sp2c
02-01-2006, 08:12 PM
besides, the vehicles are not racing through the streets at top speed all the time, sometimes they stand still, people walk by, read the sign, think to themselves 'hey that's usefull info for the next time I get in my car' and tell their friends.

that's assuming they can read of course

There's no way I'd be able to read any of these from 100+ meters away though and my eyes aren't that bad (can't become a fighter pilot though)

Seraphim
02-01-2006, 08:31 PM

Dont let the facts get in the way of your ignorant thinking.

AmericanImperialist
02-01-2006, 10:08 PM
How many people died before population gained that knowledge?
I remember Iraqi family murdered at checkpoint because US soldiers were in panic.

And what the **** exactly would you reccomend?

All you leftist america hating wheenies do is criticize. Man up and offer an alternative or shut the **** up.

johno7
02-02-2006, 04:04 AM
just saw these contracter t shirts on e bay..check them out

Macs.
02-02-2006, 04:47 AM
The thing most people fail to realize is that this is a WAR. When there's another country that has invaded your country and they're driving around in Humvee's and Abrams, it's best to stay away from them because you know they're a firefight magnet... they're usually a bad thing to try to tailgate during wartime... and that's all the sign is saying. It's like a disclaimer saying if you're close to us, you're assuming the risks of your actions so stay the hell away.

I thought the war was over ?

Anyway, those signs on the first page of this thread seem to be waaay too small. (Not to mention the lack of reading skills by the population.)

Macs.
02-02-2006, 04:49 AM

All you leftist america hating wheenies do is criticize. Man up and offer an alternative or shut the **** up.

I don´t know if you knew, but actually there are polish soldiers in Iraq.

Argyll
02-02-2006, 05:01 AM
just saw these contracter t shirts on e bay..check them out

are they stealth T shirts?

Smok
02-02-2006, 12:39 PM

Sorry man - not my war, not my problem.
I don't want to bring freedom and democracy to Iraq.

mack pl
02-02-2006, 12:49 PM

it seems it is some problem for you.......like it or not, Poland is involved in this conflict.

AmericanImperialist
02-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I don´t know if you knew, but actually there are polish soldiers in Iraq.

And what exactly does that have to do with my post?

AmericanImperialist
02-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I don't want to bring freedom and democracy to Iraq.

So you don't care that your country men are involved?

If it's "not your war, not your problem" then shut the **** up about it or grow up and offer some alternatives instead of merely criticising everything the US does. It gives the impression a cranky 4 year old found his way onto MP.net.

Smok
02-03-2006, 08:06 AM
So you don't care that your country men are involved?

If it's "not your war, not your problem" then shut the **** up about it or grow up and offer some alternatives instead of merely criticising everything the US does. It gives the impression a cranky 4 year old found his way onto MP.net.

I don't care about polish opressors in Iraq. I'm not supporting them. I'm ashamed because my country send troops to Iraq.

But because we have "freedom and democracy" I can talk whatever I want and no one can force me to shut up :)

MCWARPIG
02-03-2006, 08:26 AM
I don't care about polish opressors in Iraq. I'm not supporting them. I'm ashamed because my country send troops to Iraq.

But because we have "freedom and democracy" I can talk whatever I want and no one can force me to shut up :)

Well, I guess I am no one. Shut up :)

Smok -WARPIG 02-03-2006 1 Day 02-04-2006, ~08:00 AM 1 Day, 0 hours Total disregard for respect of MP.net members. Take a break and try some manners when you return

MCWARPIG
02-03-2006, 08:42 AM
This "trigger happy American" crap is starting to get stale. No matter what the stupid signs say, how big the sign is, what language it is written, or what style of frigging font it is written in... some moron won't pay attention and get too close to the convoy. A lapse in awareness or just a plain misunderstanding will get some pretty extreme reaction from an armed gunner protecting a convoy. The thing is, we don't depend on the signs alone. Us stupid Americans are well aware of the fact that many people can't read the signs, many people can't see them from 100 feet, and many people just have the occasional brain fart.. but, taking that chance and going home in a body bag isn't a very active way of dealing with that. If you've been around, you know that even a column of tanks with a 20 ft tall neon sign that had pictures and words in several languages while running strobe lights and loud speakers telling people to stay back will have people approach the vehicle. The same reason that we have to be told not to eat the dessicant... the same reason that I have a sticker on my lawnmower with pictures telling me not to put my hand under the deck when the blade is spinning.. we will have these kinds of incidents.

Avary
02-03-2006, 09:21 AM
People are friggin' lame.

Two evenings a week I go play badminton with friends in a school gymnasium. There is a sign in the entrance to the building that says:

PLEASE REMOVE YOUR BOOTS UPON ENTERING THE PREMISES. THANK YOU

And every time while I sit on the bench removing my boots I see all those people who stop, look at the sign, read the sign, and then go on their way, boots full of snow and mud and all.

Of course then later in the evening these are the same people who go whine and seethe at the janitor because the floor of the gym is wet and muddy. Stupid ****ers. :bash:

Too bad the sign doesn't say REMOVE YOUR BOOTS OR GET RAPED BY BUBBA

Argyll
02-03-2006, 09:32 AM
You think it would make any difference?

PaulClift
02-03-2006, 10:00 AM

That is one of the dumbest things I've seen, it should have another line "by the time you have read this its too late".

MCWARPIG
02-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Just to make it clear. Not reading, understanding, or even ignoring a sign doesn't mean that you deserve to get sprayed all over your dash. It may make you a candidate, but you don't deserve to die. That is why there are "smart cards" and classes about the cultural norms in communication. For instance the hand gestures, and body language that gets confused. US soldiers are given instruction on these little nuances and use them.

Royal
02-03-2006, 10:09 AM
It should be noted that the middle of the 3 gestures shown with a bit of emphasis and eye contact (and sometimes a slight movement of the hand) means f*** you. There is a very subtle difference between the gestures.

Be warned.

blackdog
05-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Here are two more.

http://www.surfacezero.com/span/staybackpainted.gif

wiking
05-13-2006, 06:48 AM
It should be noted that the middle of the 3 gestures shown with a bit of emphasis and eye contact (and sometimes a slight movement of the hand) means f*** you. There is a very subtle difference between the gestures.

Be warned.

:roll: kind of a bad choise to not make that understood. If done incorrectly it wont exactly help the situation.

Royal
05-13-2006, 08:25 AM
:roll: kind of a bad choise to not make that understood. If done incorrectly it wont exactly help the situation.

Not for our American friends - they never take their shades off, so there's no eye contact to worry about p-)

wiking
05-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Not for our American friends - they never take their shades off, so there's no eye contact to worry about p-)

And in this part of the world that in itself is an insult and intimidation, isn't it?

Jedburgh
05-13-2006, 01:28 PM
...not on a vehicle, but on a drop-arm barrier emplaced by the Dutch. It was so polite it cracked me up:

http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/4554/politedroparmbarrier5og.th.jpg (http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=politedroparmbarrier5og.jpg)

CANsoldier
05-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Just to make it clear. Not reading, understanding, or even ignoring a sign doesn't mean that you deserve to get sprayed all over your dash. It may make you a candidate, but you don't deserve to die. That is why there are "smart cards" and classes about the cultural norms in communication. For instance the hand gestures, and body language that gets confused. US soldiers are given instruction on these little nuances and use them.

thats prityy interesting

TwistedPretzel
05-13-2006, 02:58 PM
After 3 years they should know better now, and they do.

You people make it seem like people are shot by US forces every day because tehy cant read. That is so false, you have no idea.

Well, apparently, the literate ones are the only ones driving, the ones who cant read or write dont own cars... surprisingly.

He219
05-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Back in time ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/He219/AP/more/4e39f644.jpg

Freibier
05-13-2006, 06:40 PM
That's the Sicherheitsabstand between vehicles in a convoy and they didn't pretend to liberate anyone p-)

Iho
05-13-2006, 10:09 PM

For starters, I'd recommend NOT SHOOTING at locals in their own country. You CHOSE to go in, you work out how to deal with it. Its not the responsibiliy of the anyone except for the people who went in to work out a better way to deal with the locals in a way the local's can understand... Step back and have a look at the bigger picture, moron.

Oh, and please, try really hard NOT to stereotype everyone who doesn't agree with shooting drivers in their own country. I love how you've made a sweeping generalisation about the Iraq people and their ways of life / education levels, and yet you seem to not understand why its not ok to shoot them..

Oh, and for the record, I don't hate America at all, but I'm sure that concept will be lost on you as well..

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but for god sakes, posting all this "oh, its ok to shoot them" crap is getting a little too much.. they're still people FFS.

3rdMillhouse
05-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Afghans are not arabs.

But they speak arabic.

LibertyUnites
05-13-2006, 10:20 PM
For starters, I'd recommend NOT SHOOTING at locals in their own country. You CHOSE to go in, you work out how to deal with it. Its not the responsibiliy of the anyone except for the people who went in to work out a better way to deal with the locals in a way the local's can understand... Step back and have a look at the bigger picture, moron.

Oh, and please, try really hard NOT to stereotype everyone who doesn't agree with shooting drivers in their own country. I love how you've made a sweeping generalisation about the Iraq people and their ways of life / education levels, and yet you seem to not understand why its not ok to shoot them..

Oh, and for the record, I don't hate America at all, but I'm sure that concept will be lost on you as well..

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but for god sakes, posting all this "oh, its ok to shoot them" crap is getting a little too much.. they're still people FFS.

You didnt offer an alternative though, now did you? The point is, there arent many ways to protect a convoy but keeping a safe distance from those who would do you harm is one hell of a good start. I'm sure we'd love to be all buddy buddy with the Iraqis but the trouble is they keep exploding next to US Soldiers and so we are forced to defend our forces with deadly force. Its not always right, in fact in a few instances its been dead wrong, but its the best thing we've got going right now. I'm sure that smarter people than you have also ran this situation through their minds once or twice... do you think they came up with something better and said, "Nah, **** it. Shooting brown-skinned people is just what we do!" Somehow I doubt it...

Chops
05-13-2006, 11:03 PM
But they speak arabic.

Er no they don't. Pashto/Pashtu and Dari are the predominant languages. Only some of the Afghan Arabs of AQ speak Arabic...

Iho
05-14-2006, 03:59 AM
You didnt offer an alternative though, now did you? The point is, there arent many ways to protect a convoy but keeping a safe distance from those who would do you harm is one hell of a good start. I'm sure we'd love to be all buddy buddy with the Iraqis but the trouble is they keep exploding next to US Soldiers and so we are forced to defend our forces with deadly force. Its not always right, in fact in a few instances its been dead wrong, but its the best thing we've got going right now. I'm sure that smarter people than you have also ran this situation through their minds once or twice... do you think they came up with something better and said, "Nah, **** it. Shooting brown-skinned people is just what we do!" Somehow I doubt it...
No, you're right, I didn't offer a practical alternative, but then, is it my resposibility to? If I don't, does it make the aternative ok then? In your first line you've said "since you didn't come up with a good alternative, I guess they'll just have to keep shooting people that can't read and unknowingly come too close". A lack of a better immediate alternative still doesn't make it right to take human lives to pre-empt other human lives being taken. I'd rather kill them than us is fine in war conditions, unless you're the invading party. In that case, a certain degree of tact is required not to turn the locals against you..

Here's a thought - How about a sign which reads "if you come closer than 30 meters then we'll be forced to shoot you!"? The fact that they've GOT a sign telling people "by the time you read this we'll be shooting at you" shows a lack of basic practical thought. How could they possibly read this and expect to have time to process what the sign says before being fired at? Do they broadcast warnings on local Iraqi Television and radio? Word of mouth from the people who hear/see these broadcasts?

Out of interest, since this is a country which seems to best learn lessons the hard way, have the instances of vehicular shootings dropped over the last 12-24 months?

TwistedPretzel
05-14-2006, 04:54 AM
what you dont understand is that the amount of civvilians or any vehicles shot up getting too close to an american convoy is minimal, very incredibly minimal, they know what they can and cant do by now, its been 3 years, maybe it happened earlier in the war, but not anymore.

I_hate_posers
05-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Our signs are pretty funny, they seem to indicate no red or blue cars can pass. And they're friggen huge!

Royal
05-15-2006, 02:27 AM
what you dont understand is that the amount of civvilians or any vehicles shot up getting too close to an american convoy is minimal, very incredibly minimal, they know what they can and cant do by now, its been 3 years, maybe it happened earlier in the war, but not anymore.

Oh no?

There is a huge problem of friendly fire against all coalition nationalities in MND SE - largely (but not entirely) by US convoys transiting from Kuwait. Fortunately to date there have been few casualties, because gunners realise after letting a few rounds off.

During Telic 5 a mate of mine (an infantry Major) had two of his SNCOs detached to Camp Doha to teach incoming US units allied vehicle recognition - due to the 29 blue on blue's that had occured in the Div AO up to that point of the tour. He (& I) went down to visit them and were engaged by a call-sign from the Electric Strawberry just past Safwan Crossing - our vehicle took 3 .50 rounds and was a write off the vehicle in front of us took 2 through the rear. No-one was hurt. The gunner responsible had just completed the recognition package

As I said the US were not the only ones responsible the Dutch were engaged by US, British and Danish forces on the same tour and the Poles were engaged by the Dutch all in the MND SE AO.

Quoted from this thread...

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79249&page=7&highlight=recognition

Just one example - from many - involving most coalition nations.

Lokos
05-15-2006, 02:41 AM
I am guessing the benchmark test for the decision to shoot or not is that of the 'reasonable person'. Would it be reasonable to engage, given the particular circumstances of this violation, etc. I strongly doubt that the second one steps inside a 100m perimeter of a US convoy (stationary or on the move) one would be shot at without additional warning - unless the individual in question was obviously attempting to intercept the convoy.

Lokos

TwistedPretzel
05-15-2006, 09:24 AM
there is a certain ROE, and the soldiers also have brains of their own, so you dont have to worry about it for them, they do enough of it on their own, and probably exercise their fire discipline very well.

Chops
05-15-2006, 09:49 AM
there is a certain ROE, and the soldiers also have brains of their own, so you dont have to worry about it for them, they do enough of it on their own, and probably exercise their fire discipline very well.

Did you not read Royal's post? Done a lot of time on the ground have we?

TwistedPretzel
05-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Done a lot of time on the ground have we?

:roll:

Yeah, sure...

There is a huge problem of friendly fire against all coalition nationalities in MND SE - largely (but not entirely) by US convoys transiting from Kuwait. Fortunately to date there have been few casualties, because gunners realise after letting a few rounds off.

So, new guys going to Iraq see foreign vehicles with weapons mounted on top.

Translates to them shooting civvilian vehicles within 100 meters all the time...?

And no, i hadnt read his post until now.

Chops
05-15-2006, 10:03 AM
:roll:

Yeah, sure...

Explain. Please.

Do you not think that if grunts are jumpy enough to be firing on marked friendly military vehicles (which I believe the insurgency is kinda short on right about now) they are somehow going to be more restrained with a potentially real threat- SBIEDs? I would wager that for every FF incident there may be a dozen involving grunts shooting up civie vehicles...

TwistedPretzel
05-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Explain. Please.

You suddenly through in the, "Your nothing, you have never been there, you dont have an opnion, shut the **** up" card because i said i doubt civvies are being shot up as much as you like to think, after i have never even said anything about being there.

Do you not think that if grunts are jumpy enough to be firing on marked friendly military vehicles (which I believe the insurgency is kinda short on right about now) they are somehow going to be more restrained with a potentially real threat- SBIEDs? I would wager that for every FF incident there may be a dozen involving grunts shooting up civie vehicles...

Your right, i give up, we are slaughtering civvilians left and right.

Im sorry.

How did we get this far off topic? The man just wanted some pics of the signs.

Chops
05-15-2006, 10:26 AM

Ah yes sounds like an opinion...

No it sounds like a statement of fact. And we're very defensive aren't we?

Don't post your 'opinions' dressed up as some kind of statement of fact and you'll survive here a lot longer than I currently suspect you will.

And no we're not slaughtering civilians left and right but a lot of civilian vehicles and sometimes their occupants are being shot up- sometimes justifiably, sometimes not so.

NewsMan
05-15-2006, 11:47 AM
That is one of the dumbest things I've seen, it should have another line "by the time you have read this its too late".

Better yet... how about it saying: "After 3 years and you still don't understand that we shoot when you get too close... you deserve what you get. Afterall, the #1 way my fellow Americans are killed is by cars that don't stay back."

NewsMan
05-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Er no they don't. Pashto/Pashtu and Dari are the predominant languages. Only some of the Afghan Arabs of AQ speak Arabic...

The people who speak Arabic in Afghanistan are usually the bad guys. Chops has the languages correct. Arabic is not something Afghans speak or understand... for the most part.

CPLHUNTER
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM

Not bad....but could be bigger...

"Back off or die"

dacanadianbomb
05-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Your faced with a real problem when you have a large stand off distance, but the population either cant read it because they are illiterate, or cant see it because your standoff distance is bigger than what a human eye can read properly.

There is no easy answer to this.
You cant simply put a 10X10 foot sign on there.You'r blocking your rear 180 view.

Whats the hand sign for stop in Iraq ?
Is it like the normal one, flat hand towards the person ?
Different countries different signs etc.

I would figure that somehow we have a instinct that when a guy is pointing a rifle or .50 at you and motioning wildly, that you somehow recognize he wants you to stay away from him.