PDA

View Full Version : Military Quotes

Pages : [1] 2

Sayeret
02-07-2006, 09:09 PM
I couldn't find the old thread so I was starting a new one. If anyone finds the old quote thread, feel free to post a link to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If your bayonet breaks, strike with the stock; if the stock gives way, hit with your fists; if your fists are hurt, bite with your teeth."
- - Gen. Mikhail Dragomirov

"Close combat, man to man, is plainly to be regarded as the real basis of combat."

- - Carl Von Clausewitz

Voodoo_Br
02-07-2006, 10:54 PM
" You talk the talk. Do you walk the walk?"

Animal Mother

Mastermind
02-07-2006, 11:13 PM
"Never share a fox hole with someone braver than you are."

Mastermind
02-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Unknown tanker instructor, Ft. Knox Armor School: "When the enemy is within range, remember...so are you."

Adz
02-07-2006, 11:17 PM
"Give me two Australian divisions and I will conquer the world"
- - Erwin Rommel

Adz
02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
"My God, I wish we had [the] 9th Australian Division with us this morning."
- - Major-General Francis de Guingaund, Chief of Staff, Allied Land-Forces Headquarters Europe, D-Day, 1944

2/1kiwi
02-08-2006, 01:03 AM
Highest Decoration Rate. On a per capita basis, the 28 Maori Bn was one of the most decorated units within the Allied Forces. For example Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox, was reputed to have said

“Give me a division (5000 strong) of Maori and I will conquer the world”.

Found this on a Maori Bn website can any one verify?

ReggayMC
02-08-2006, 01:54 AM
The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!
MGen. Frank E. Lowe, USA; Korea, 26 January 1952

Come on, you sons of *****es! Do you want to live forever?
GySgt. Daniel J. "Dan" Daly, USMC
near Lucy-`le-Bocage as he led the 5th Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918

You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!
Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943

Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.
LtGen Victor H. Krulak, USMC
April 1965

just a few of my favorites

MakeWar87
02-08-2006, 02:02 AM
The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
General Patterson

A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed tomorrow.
George S. Patton

War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun.
Mao Zedong

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog"
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower, January 1958. Republican National Convention

ReggayMC
02-08-2006, 02:05 AM
"Every plan is good until the first shot is fired"

along the lines of that, Does anyone know what quote im talking about?

U-S-S-R
02-08-2006, 02:49 AM
Adolf Hitler -

The god of war has gone over to the other side.

About the crippling defeat at the Battle of Stalingrad

kawaiku
02-08-2006, 03:01 AM
Always remeber to pillage before you burn.
Unknown author

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans dont read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine...
Soviet Junior Lt.

Bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they can find Kuwait.(Its true for about 3/4s of me whole class)
A. Whitney Brown

When you get and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eye and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****.
General Tommy Franks

Just drive down that road until you get blowen up.
General Patton to a recon unit

ogukuo72
02-08-2006, 03:13 AM
When you get and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eye and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****.
General Tommy Franks

I REALLY like this one. :)

"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

James
02-08-2006, 04:23 AM
"Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die." - Herbert Hoover

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse." - John Stuart Mill

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds" - Robert Oppenheimer

ogukuo72
02-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Oppenheimer himself quoted this from the Bhagavad Gita.

ABNINF
02-08-2006, 04:53 AM
"Every plan is good until the first shot is fired"

along the lines of that, Does anyone know what quote im talking about?

"No plan survives first contact intact."

"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there, 80 are nothing but targets, and 9 are the real fighters and we are blessed to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others home." -Heraclitus 500BC.

trooper 3*
02-08-2006, 06:21 AM
it aint training unless its raining

Jippo
02-08-2006, 11:46 AM
it aint training unless its raining

Hmmm, familiar quote. :)

These are my personal favourites:

Heinz Guderian:

"If the tanks succeed, then victory follows."

"Boot'em, don't spatter'em."

"There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people."

Marcus Aurelius:

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. "

"Begin - to begin is half the work, let half still remain; again begin this, and thou wilt have finished. "

Winston Churchill:

"Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference."

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."

"If you are going through hell, keep going."

"It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations."

-jippo

Jedburgh
02-08-2006, 01:08 PM
A soldier who won't **** won't fight.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Soldiers should be taught to despise those in civil life and to keep away from the softening influences of old men and respectable women.
- Gen. Sir Garnet Wolsely

REINHARD X
02-08-2006, 01:54 PM
"Sweat Saves Blood..."
-Rommel

"Attack is the best form of Defence"
-I forgot who said this...

"A brave man with a thorn is better than a coward with 10 pistols"
-Adolf Hitler
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"
-Mahatma Gandhi. ;)

Laconian
02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
If we don't know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions
--an American Colonel

Look! There is Jackson standing like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!
--Bernard Bee, CSA, rallying his troops, 1st Bull Run, 21 Jul 1861

The best welfare for the troops is good training.
Field Marshal Irwin Rommel

God and the soldier we adore in time of danger, not before; the danger passed and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.
--Unknown

The instruments of battle are valuable only if one knows how to use them.
--Ardant du Picq

Let us not think of mobility in an army, unless we think of mobility accompanied by violence.
--GEN Charles P. Summerall

First there was coughing and spitting, followed by farting and belching and the sound of noses being blown. There was the spatter of urine on leaves and men moving to the woodline to crap. No, there is nothing like the sounds of an infantry company starting it's day.
-- from Winston Groom's (Forrest Gump) "Better Times than These"

Any commander who fails to obtain his objective, and is not dead or severely wounded, has not done his full duty.
-- GEN George Patton

In all operations, a moment arrives when brave decisions have to be made if an enterprise is to be carried through.
--Sir Roger Keyes

Mastermind
02-08-2006, 04:58 PM
"What is worse than war? Salvery is worse than war. Dishonor is worse than war." Sir Winston Churchill

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

ElHombre
02-08-2006, 06:46 PM
'you can do anything with a bayonet. except sit on it.' -one of napoleon's marshals to napoleon.

'never mind their raggedness. the enemy never sees the back of my texans.' robert e. lee.

'hope is not a plan'-unknown

Macs.
02-08-2006, 07:03 PM
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Göring at the Nürnberg trials

chuckster
02-08-2006, 08:21 PM
"I fear all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve"

- Admiral Yamamoto after Pearl Harbor

Kicius
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
"Tanks are easily identified, easily engaged, much-feared targets which attract all the fire on the battlefield. When all is said and done, a tank is a small steel box crammed with inflammable or explosive substances which is easily converted into a mobile crematorium for its highly skilled crew."

- Brigadier Shelford Bidwell

"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography."

- Ambrose Bierce

"Army: A body of men assembled to rectify the mistakes of the diplomats."

- Josephus Daniels

Sayeret
02-08-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't remember the exact quote but it's from a Soviet soldier in Afganistan:

"We were no saints but we were fighting the Devil,"

ogukuo72
02-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Bonjourrrrr, you cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys!
Groundskeeper Willie

oregongrunt
02-08-2006, 11:10 PM
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato

"Sweat saves blood." - Erwin Rommel

"So long as there are men there will be wars" - Albert Einstein

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

"If you want peace, prepare for war" - An ancient Roman expression, derived from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius. In Latin: "Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." Literal Translation: "Therefore, whoever wishes for peace, let him prepare for war."

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war." -- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

"The purpose of all war is ultimately peace." - Saint Augustine

"War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left" - Bertrand Russell

"War is not a pathology that, with proper hygiene and treatment, can be wholly prevented. War is a natural condition of the State, which was organized in order to be an effective instrument of violence on behalf of society. Wars are like deaths, which, while they can be postponed, will come when they will come and cannot be finally avoided." - Philip Bobbitt, in "The Shield of Achilles"

"If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army." - Frederick the Great

"It is a tribute to the humanity of ordinary people that horrible acts must be camouflaged [with words] like security, peace, freedom, democracy, the 'national interest'." - Howard Zinn, Boston University professor and former Second World War bomber pilot, USA.

"War is harmful, not only to the conquered but to the conqueror." - Ludwig von Mises

"War is sweet to those who haven't tasted it." - Erasmus

"How good bad music and bad reasons sound when one marches against an enemy!" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"You can't say civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way." Will Rogers

"War is the national industry of Prussia." attributed to Honoré Gabriel Riquetti, Comte de Mirabeau

"Patriots always talk of dying for their country, and never of killing for their country." Bertrand Russell

"When the tyrant has disposed of foreign enemies by conquest or treaty, and there is nothing to fear from them, then he is always stirring up some war or other, in order that the people may require a leader." Plato

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

- George Washington

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. You win the war, by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country!"

- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. - May 31, 1944

By far my favorite, but I can never remember it wholly.

"Anyone who clings to the historically untrue--and thoroughly immoral--doctrine that 'violence never solves anything' I would advise to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it. The Ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon. Violence, ***** force, has settled more disputes in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

- Robert Heinlein, author

"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "

- John Stuart Mill, English philosopher

This is a also not too shabby, though not exactly on the topic

"A nation can survive its fools and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and he carries his banners openly against the city. But the traitor moves among those within the gates freely, his sly whispers rustling through all alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears no traitor; he speaks in the accents familiar to his victim, and he wears their face and their garments and he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation; he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of a city; he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to be feared. The traitor is the plague."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Orator - 106-43 B.C.

"We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills: we shall never surrender"

- Winston Churchill, British Prime Minister - speech in the House of Commons, 4 June 1940

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

- Edmund Burke, British statesman and philosopher

”Veni, Vedi, Vici” - I came, I saw, I conquered.

- Gaius Julius Caesar, Roman emperor

"Boys,

I’ve been where you are now and I know just how you feel. It’s entirely natural that there should beat in the breast of every one of you a hope and desire that some day you can use the skill you have acquired here.

Suppress it! You don’t know the horrible aspects of war. I’ve been through two wars and I know. I’ve seen cities and homes in ashes. I’ve seen thousands of men lying on the ground, their dead faces looking up at the skies. I tell you, war is hell!"

-General William T. Sherman to the graduating class of the Michigan Military Academy, 1880.

"War is not nice" - Bush seniors wife
"The easiest way to end a war is to lose it" - George Orwell

"Give me an Australian soldier and I shall conquer the world." - Rommell, Nth. Africa, WWII.

For a soldier I listed, to grow great in fame. And be shot at for sixpence a day."
Charles Dibdin, 1745-1814

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant

What the American people want to do is fight a war without getting hurt. You cannot do that any more than you can go into a barroom brawl without getting hurt. LTG Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Any damned fool can write a plan. Its the execution that gets you all screwed up. - GEN James F. Hollingsworth

Of every 100 men (in battle) 10 shouldn't even be there, 80 are mere targets, 9 are real fighters...we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. - Hereclitus, 500 BC

We are opposed by American paratroopers. God help us, they are more ferocious than the Russians.
from a captured German letter, Normandy 1944

They got us surrounded. The poor bastards.
- Attributed to a 101st ABN paratrooper, Bastogne 1944

I cannot trust with higher command, with the command of others, a man who cannot command himself. Discipline of self, as well as others, is the soul of an Army. Robert E. Lee

If we don't know what we are doing, the enemy certainly can't anticipate our future actions. - American colonel, 1943

When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****.
GEN Tommy Franks, CENTCOM CG, 2003

I hope that in the final moments of your father's life his last thoughts were not of us. As he lay dying, I wanted him to think only of his mission to which he pledged himself. He chose the military, and "I shall not fail those with whom I serve," became his simple religion.
MSG Gary Gordon's widow.
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the 'real Marines'. "
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC - while on a Battalion inspection.

"Ask the people of Carthage if violence never solved anything"

Here are some quotes from Patton.

A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.
--General George S. Patton

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
--George S. Patton, Jr.

If a man does his best, what else is there?

I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom.

Success is how high you bounce when you've hit bottom.
--General George Patton

In forty hours I shall be in battle; with little information; and on the spur of the moment will have to make the most momentous decisions; But I believe that one`s spirit enlarges with responsibility and that; with God`s help; I shall make them; and make them right.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
- General George Patton

"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men." - General George S. Patton

"You're never beaten until you admit it."
- General George S. Patton

"A leader is a man who can adapt principles to circumstances." - General George S. Patton

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George Patton

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way." - General George Patton

"If I win I can't be stopped! If I lose I shall be dead." - General George S. Patton

"If you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do... the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." -General George S. Patton

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--

The number of medals on an officer's breast varies in inverse proportion to the square of the distance of his duties from the front line.
--Charles Edward Montague--

The fixing of bayonets is more than a fixing of steele to a rifle it puts iron into the soul of the soldier doing the fixing.
--R.G. Lee--

‘The bullet and bayonet are brother and sister’ If you don’t kill him, he’ll kill you’ ‘ Stick him between the eyes, in the throat, in the chest’ ‘Don’t waste good steele. Six inches are enough. What’s the use of a foot of steele sticking out at the back of a mans neck?. Three inches will do for him; when he coughs, go and look for another.
--Memoirs of an Infantry Officer by Siegfries Sassoon, 1931--

I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
---Edmund, Blackadder III--

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
--Douglas Adams--

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved, and always will solve, the problems of the human race.
--Calvin Coolidge--
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:50 am Post subject:

A man may build himself a throne of bayonets, but he cannot sit on it."

-William Ralph Inge

"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." [Who desires peace should prepare for war.]

(Flavius) Vegetius (Renatus), De Rei Militari III, c. 375 AD

"You shouldn't underestimate an enemy, but it is just as fatal to overestimate him."

Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."

Winston Churchill

"No arsenal or no weapon in the arsenals of the world is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."

Ronald Reagan, First Inaugural Address, January 20, 1981

"Force is all-conquering, but its victories are short-lived."

Abraham Lincoln

"This difference is ascribed to our superiority in taking aim when we fire; every soldier in our army having been intimate with his gun from his infancy."

Thomas Jefferson to Giovanni Fabbroni (1778), explaining the Americans' lower casualty rate than the Redcoats

"If I see any man turn his back today, I will shoot him through. I have two pistols loaded. But I will not ask any man to go further than I do. I will fight as long as I have a leg or an arm."

George Washington, speech to his troops before the Battle of Long Island, 1776

"Do you know what amazes me more than anything else-the impotence of force to organize anything. There are only two powers in the world-the spirit and the sword; and in the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit."

Napoleon Bonaparte

"One man with courage is a majority."

Thomas Jefferson

To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace."

George Washington

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack."

Marshall Ferdinand Foch (1851-1955), supreme commander of allied forces in 1918

"The only way to win a war is to attack and keep on attacking and after you have done that keep attacking some more."

"Never turn your back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half. Never run away from anything. Never!"

Winston Churchill

"The strong take from the weak, but the smart take from the strong."

Emerson

"I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep."

Talleyrand

"Crush your enemy totally."

Robert Greene and Joost Elffers, "The 48 Laws of Power," Law #15

"Every Communist must grasp the truth, 'Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun.' Our principle is that the [Communist] Party commands the gun and the gun will never be allowed to command the Party."

Mao Tse-tung, "Problems of War and Strategy," November 6, 1938, in Selected Works of Mao Zedong (1965)

"Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter."

Robert Greene and Joost Elffers, "The 48 Laws of Power," Law #42

"I say violence is necessary. It is as American as cherry pie."

H. Rap Brown

"Let's face it: armed combat beats unarmed combat any day of the week."

Tom Clancy

"Perhaps the meek shall inherit the Earth, but they'll do it in very small plots . . . about 6' by 3'."

Robert A. Heinlein

"Victory in battle is 90 percent preparation and 10 percent taking care of unanticipated emergencies."

James Dunnigan and Daniel Masterson, "The Way of the Warrior"

"Nay, the number of armies importeth not much, where the people is of weak courage; for as Virgil saith, 'It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep be.'

Sir Francis Bacon, Essays, 1625

"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."

Captain John Parker, commander of the seventy colonial minutemen who met more than seven hundred British troops under the command of General Thomas Gage (who were sent to seize the guns, ammunition, and other supplies at Concord) and fired the "shot heard 'round the world"

"I say: Know your enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles, you will never be defeated. When you are ignorant of the enemy but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and of yourself, you are sure to be defeated in every battle."

Sun Tzu

"When the leader is morally weak and his discipline not strict, when his instructions and guidance are not enlightened, when there are no consistent rules, neighboring rulers will take advantage of this."

Sun Tzu

"The rules have changed. True power is held by the person who possesses the largest bookshelf, not gun cabinet or wallet."

Anthony J. D'Angelo, The College Blue Book

"If you want an army to fight and risk death, you've got to get up there and lead it. An Army is like spaghetti. You can't push a piece of spaghetti, you've got to pull it."

"Battle is not a terrifying ordeal to be endured. It is a magnificent experience wherein all the elements that have made man superior to the beasts are present: courage, self-sacrifice, loyalty, help to others, devotion to duty."

"It's the misfortune of all Countries, that they sometimes lie under a unhappy necessity to defend themselves by Arms against the ambition of their Governors, and to fight for what's their own. If those in government are heedless of reason, the people must patiently submit to Bondage, or stand upon their own Defence; which if they are enabled to do, they shall never be put upon it, but their Swords may grow rusty in their hands; for that Nation is surest to live in Peace, that is most capable of making War; and a Man that hath a Sword by his side, shall have least occasion to make use of it."

John Trenchard (1662-1723) and Walter Moyle (1672-1721), "An Argument, shewing; that a standing Army is Inconsistent with a Free Government and Absolutely Destructive to the Constitution of the English Monarchy," (London, 1697)

"In case of doubt, attack."

"War therefore is an act of violence intended to compel our opponent to fulfill our will."

Karl von Clausewitz, "Vom Kriege" (On War)

"It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory."

We see, therefore, that War is not merely a political act, but also a real political instrument, a continuation of political commerce, a carrying out of the same by other means. All beyond this which is strictly peculiar to War relates merely to the peculiar nature of the means which it uses. . . But however powerfully this may react on political views in particular cases, still it must always be regarded as only a modification of them; for the political view is the object, War is the means, and the means must always include the object in our conception."

Karl von Clausewitz, "Vom Kriege" (On War)

"The enlisted men, although stupid and oftentimes lazy, can be incredibly sly and cunning and bear considerable watching." This was supposedly from the US Army's Officer Handbook, ed. 1898.

Wellington said something along the lines of "I don't know whether they frighten the enemy, but by God they frighten me.''

Opening Batsman
02-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Highest Decoration Rate. On a per capita basis, the 28 Maori Bn was one of the most decorated units within the Allied Forces. For example Field Marshall Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox, was reputed to have said

“Give me a division (5000 strong) of Maori and I will conquer the world”.

Found this on a Maori Bn website can any one verify?

I think you stole that one from us. I've heard it a fair few times from different sources, the first time was on a documentary. Hitler asked Rommel why he was letting a single colonial division withstand the might of the German Empire, and the response was somewhere along the lines of, "This is no colonial division, this is an Australian division. Give me two Australian divisions and I will conquer the world".

MBG
02-09-2006, 12:37 AM
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70201&highlight=military That's the old one

kawaiku
02-09-2006, 02:30 AM
So....there might be new ones..you never know

Flagg
02-09-2006, 06:05 AM
Dec. 23, 1944 - "Battle of the Bulge" - An entire U.S. armored division was retreating from the Germans in the Ardennes forest when a sergeant in a tank destroyer spotted an American digging a foxhole. The GI, PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, looked up and asked, "Are you looking for a safe place?" "Yeah" answered the tanker. "Well, buddy," he drawled, "just pull your vehicle behind me ... ... I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."

Major Maxillary
02-10-2006, 09:14 AM
"The best tank terrain is that without anti-tank weapons." -Russian military doctrine

"I came back from the war without my privates, they all decided to re-enlist."

"All gave some and some gave all. Some stood through, And some had to fall."

"Never interrupt an enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right." -Isaac Asimov

"It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind."-Voltaire

"The quickest way to end a war is to lose it."-George Orwell

SamHamam
02-10-2006, 12:34 PM
“The staff officer should always seek to get completely into the mind of his or her commander ... and normally there is plenty of room.”

Anon, Quoted in the British Army's "Staff Officers' Handbook"

Zero The Hero
02-12-2006, 09:14 AM
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be there, 80 are nothing but targets, and 9 are the real fighters and we are blessed to have them, for they the battle make. Ah, but one, ONE of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others home." -Heraclitus 500BC.

Where did you find this one?

Opening Batsman
02-13-2006, 03:54 AM
Not sure of the exact quote, but this is pretty close. I found it during literature at school.

"Indeed to avoid war is a wise man's duty, yet if war comes, then a Hero's death conferrs as much fame onto his city as a coward's brings infamy" - Euripides

Omaha
02-13-2006, 07:21 AM
From time to time, the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots.

--Thomas Jefferson--

War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.

--William Tecumseh Sherman--

Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.

--Ronald Reagan--

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking!"

FERDINAND FOCH

"I want you boys to hurry up and whip these Germans so we can get out to the Pacific to kick the s**t out of the purple-pissing Japanese, before the Godda**ed MARINES get all the credit!"

Lt General George Patton, US Army 1945

Bryson C
08-03-2006, 03:37 PM
"Good God! To survive a hundred fields and die like this…"
-Guillaume Marie Anne Brune, Marshal of France.
(About to be killed by a Royalist mob, after Waterloo)

RECON DOC
08-03-2006, 04:15 PM
"I love it...God help me I do love it so."- Gen. Patton in regards to war

"Never, never , ever date a woman with a d%&k thats bigger than yours" - Unknown Ranger instructor, NCO club at camp Rudder FLA 1984

Bryson C
08-03-2006, 04:29 PM
“Soldiers, when I give the command to fire, fire straight at my heart. Wait for the order. It will be my last to you. I protest against my condemnation. I have fought a hundred battles for France, and not one against her.. Soldiers Fire!”
--Michel Ney, Marshal of France
(Said to his firing squad on 7th Dec., 1815, and allowed to give the order to fire.)

dan.elder
08-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Lets get a post from noncom in here:

By definition, discipline is "a branch of knowledge or learning; training that develops self control, character, or orderliness or efficiency." To be concise, discipline means training, teaching, and learning. We should not confuse discipline with punishment. -CSM Johnny W. Greek, "The Noncommissioned Officer." Engineer, Fall 1980, p. 33

Sabre
08-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Just drive down that road until you get blown up.
General Patton to a recon unit

Good thing Patton wasn't a British general, or the response would be "Why don't you drive down that road til you get blown up...sir."

Random DS quotes:

"Better to try and fail, than fail to try."

"Fail to prepare...prepare to fail."

"Either lead, follow or get out of the way."

Not military, but I like it:

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne, th'assay so hard, so sharp the conquoring." -Chaucer, Parliament of Foules

Paul in Saudi2
08-08-2006, 12:12 PM
God and the soldier we adore in time of danger, not before; the danger passed and all things righted, God is forgotten and the soldier slighted.
--Unknown

God and Soldiers we adore
In times of trouble,
not before
When Trouble's gone and all things righted
God's forgotten and the soldier slighted.

Kipling,
Someplace in Barracks-Room Ballads (1899)

CruddyLeper
08-09-2006, 06:40 AM
"Train hard, fight easy. Train easy, fight hard" (and die).

Marshal A V Suvorov

Henk
08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
My men are the products of total war, grown up in the streets of scattered towns without any education. The only thing they knew was to handle weapons for the Reich. They were young people with a hot heart and the desire to win or die: right or wrong – my country. When seeing today the defendants in the dock, don't believe them to be the old Kampfgruppe Peiper. All of my old friends and comrades have gone before. The real outfit is waiting for me in Valhalla."

Bryson C
08-09-2006, 01:13 PM
"I was too weak to defend, so I attacked."
--Gen. Robert E. Lee

"There is no immediate prospect of an invasion"
--Gerd von Rundstedt, German Field Marshal
(On the evening of June 5th 1944 to his forces)

abstractthreat
08-09-2006, 04:14 PM
If Plymouth Rock had landed on the Pilgrims instead of the other way around, we wouldn't be in this mess. --Jubal Early, about the American Civil War

"Do you see those colors? Take them!"
- General Winfield S. ******* issued this order to the 1st Minnesota on the second day of the Battle of *****sburg, as the Union line was being driven back. The Minnesotans carried out the orders, driving back the Confederates and taking the colors--at a loss of one-third of the regiment

"Hello, Massa; bottom rail on top dis time"
- A black Union soldier spoke these words to a Confederate prisoner he recognized--his former master

"It is well that war is so terrible--we should grow too fond of it"
- Robert E. Lee gave this observation while watching thousands of Union soldiers sent to the slaughter at Fredericksburg

"June 3, 1864
Cold Harbor, Virginia
I was killed." -The last diary entry of a Union soldier, after the failed attack at Cold Harbor, Virginia.

Bryson C
08-10-2006, 08:23 PM
“An alliance with Russia would be very valuable. Only women and children are capable of supposing that [I] would lose myself in the deserts of Russia”
--Napoleon Bonaparte, March 14th 1807

Chauncey
08-11-2006, 02:45 AM
What was that quote (I believe it was from the Battle of River Plate or something) where the commander sent a last radio message from his crippled ship like, "No longer able to steer the ship, but will fight to the last shell", or something like that...

I've scoured the net, but can't find it - anyone recognise it? Anyone know the proper words of the quote?

maybee
08-11-2006, 02:55 PM
freedom
Freedom is not free- koren war monument.

praetorian6
08-13-2006, 06:11 AM
"You must have at least three points of contact at all times!"

-Just about any military instructor in the known universe.

marko
08-14-2006, 05:36 PM
"Nobody respects a country with a poor army, but everybody respects a country with a good army. I raise my toast to the Finnish Army." J.Stalin 1948

"Finland alone - in danger of death, superb, sublime Finland - shows what free men can do."
-Winston Churchill, 1939

"We gained 22,000 square miles of territory. Just enough to bury our dead"
-Soviet General, 1940

"This is the most horrible paper I've ever signed...Let my hand wither, which was forced to sign such a paper."
Kyösti Kallio after signing the Moscow Peace Treaty, 1940

Hecatonchiros
08-15-2006, 03:43 AM
"C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre." ("It is magnificent, but it is not war"). French Marshal Pierre Bosquet about the disasterous cavalry charge of the British Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava, 1854.

stoddy9311
08-15-2006, 02:02 PM
The Only Morale a Soldier needs is good Training!!! and plenty of it!!

Rommel.

Death is gods way of telling you that you have failed selection!!

Lofty wiseman

Don't eat yellow snow!

arctic warfare cadre DS

IraGlacialis
08-15-2006, 07:56 PM
"This is the most horrible paper I've ever signed...Let my hand wither, which was forced to sign such a paper."

Kyösti Kallio after signing the Moscow Peace Treaty, 1940

Slightly ironic, considering the fact that, later on, his right arm became paralyzed due to health deterioration, most likely a stroke, and he soon died not long after, all during the same year.

Bryson C
08-15-2006, 10:50 PM
“I used to say of him [Napoleon] that his presence on the field made the difference of forty thousand men.”
--Duke of Wellington

“Ours is composed of the scum of the Earth — the mere scum of the Earth.”
--Duke of Wellington
[On the British Army Infantry]

Eddy
08-16-2006, 01:04 AM
All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Göring at the Nürnberg trials

That could fit the description of a certain situation in a certain country.

Limeyfellow
08-16-2006, 02:20 AM
"I fear all we have done is awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve"

You do know thats was never a real quote and only appeared in Tora Tora Tora so you have to say its really have to put it to the writers of the movie, in particular Larry Forrester. Infact Yamamoto wrote a poem to the emperor after the battle professing how great a victory it was. Of course its not the only time a later source as mentioned a sleeping giant quotes. Theres dozens of occassions.

Bryson C
08-16-2006, 03:55 PM
"I would rather he had given me one more division"
--Rommel, German Field Marsshall
(When Hitler permoted him to Field Marshall)

"By push of bayonets, no firing until you see the whites in their eyes!"
--Frederick the Great, at Prague, 1757

“Ihr Racker, wollt ihr ewig leben?”
("Rascals, do you want to live forever?")
--Frederick the Great, 1757.
(When the guards hesitated at the battle of Kolin.)

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon"
--Napoleon Bonaparte, 15 July 1815.
(To the captain of HMS Bellerophon.)

“Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn”
--Anonomus

Bryson C
08-17-2006, 09:00 PM
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George Patton

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
--General George Patton.

"Just drive down that road, until you get blown up"
--General George Patton
(to reconnaissance troops)

“Artillery conquers and infantry occupies.”
--J.F.C. Fuller

“God fights on the side with the best artillery.”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

“I do not have to tell you who won the war. You know, the artillery did.”
General George S. Patton.

“The World War demonstrated the importance of Field Artillery. The majority of casualties were inflicted by the arm.”
--General John J. Pershing

“Artillery is the god of war.”
--Stalin

Bellissima
08-18-2006, 12:15 AM
"He that would study surgery must first go to war."
--Hippocrates

Laconian
08-18-2006, 01:02 AM
God and Soldiers we adore
In times of trouble,
not before
When Trouble's gone and all things righted
God's forgotten and the soldier slighted.

Kipling,
Someplace in Barracks-Room Ballads (1899)

Thank you for the correction. The quote I used was taken from a collection of quotes put out to the brigade officers by the CO.

Exer
08-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part.

The battle is now joined on many fronts. We will not waver; we will not tire; we will not falter; and we will not fail. George W bush.

Demoralize the enemy from within by surprise, terror, sabotage, assassination. This is the war of the future. Adolf Hitler.

Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace. Siddhartha Buddha.

CruddyLeper
08-18-2006, 09:54 AM
"He (old French Army friend) had said, 'The poorer the infantry the more artillery it needs: the American infantry needs all that it can get'. He was right then, and still is".

George S Patton, 1944, quoted in the memoirs of Lord Tedder.

D-gin
08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Sun Tzu

My favorite. :)

Paul in Saudi2
08-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Our policy is not directed against any country or doctrine, but against hunger, poverty, desperation and chaos. Its purpose should be the revival of a working economy in the world so as to permit the emergence of political and social conditions in which free institutions can exist.

George C Marshall
Secretary of State
5 June 1946
Harvard Graduation

"We're determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, and of overwhelming power on the other."
-George Marshall (but when he was CoS)

Bryson C
08-18-2006, 12:37 PM
"The best armor is staying out of gun-shot."
--Italian proverb

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."
--Bumper Sticker

"Airplanes suffers from so many technical faults that it is only a matter of time before any reasonable man realizes that they are useless!"
--Scientific American, 1910

"Airplanes are interesting toys, but of no military value."
--Marshal Ferdinand Foch
(Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre, he was Supreme Commander of Allied forces, 1918)

"Aviation is good for sport, but for the Army it is useless!"
--Marshal Ferdinand Foch

"To throw bombs from an airplane will do as much damage as throwing bags of flour. It will be my pleasure to stand on the bridge of any ship while it is attacked by airplanes."
--Newton Baker, US minister of defense (1921)

"The only thing that will happen is that the vessel will sink, and suffocate the crew"
--H. G. Wells, English writer, 1902
(Submarines had been used since about 1850)

"Even if a submarine should work by a miracle, it will never be used. No country in this world would ever use such a vicious and petty form of warfare!"
--William Henderson, British admiral, 1914

Laconian
08-18-2006, 12:39 PM
True warriors are fierce, because their training is fierce
--Miyamoto Musashi

IraGlacialis
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
"The best armor is staying out of gun-shot."
--Italian proverb

"There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."
--Bumper Sticker

"Airplanes suffers from so many technical faults that it is only a matter of time before any reasonable man realizes that they are useless!"
--Scientific American, 1910

"Airplanes are interesting toys, but of no military value."
--Marshal Ferdinand Foch
(Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre, he was Supreme Commander of Allied forces, 1918)

"Aviation is good for sport, but for the Army it is useless!"
--Marshal Ferdinand Foch

"To throw bombs from an airplane will do as much damage as throwing bags of flour. It will be my pleasure to stand on the bridge of any ship while it is attacked by airplanes."
--Newton Baker, US minister of defense (1921)

"The only thing that will happen is that the vessel will sink, and suffocate the crew"
--H. G. Wells, English writer, 1902
(Submarines had been used since about 1850)

"Even if a submarine should work by a miracle, it will never be used. No country in this world would ever use such a vicious and petty form of warfare!"
--William Henderson, British admiral, 1914

rofl:roll:, especially the one made by Baker. Ah, how the world changes.

Quotes from Albert Einstien-

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"

"When the war is over, then there will be in all countries a pursuit of secret war preparations with technological means which will lead inevitably to preventative wars and to destruction even more terrible than the present destruction of life."-In a letter to Niels Bohr in 1944.

GroznyConquerer
08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
"Russia only has 2 Allies, 1. Her Army, 2. and her Navy" Tzar Alexander III

Bryson C
08-19-2006, 10:31 PM
"...It's a Panther, no it's a Tiger..." "I don't care about the family just FIRE!!!"
--Russian tank commander to gunner.

Going off memory on that one, hope I got it right.

jetsetter
08-20-2006, 03:57 AM
These are actually from the recent movie "Lord of War" but I think they are telling.

Bullets change governments far surer than votes.-Simeon Weisz

Every faction in Africa calls themselves by these noble names - Liberation this, Patriotic that, Democratic Republic of something-or-other... I guess they can't own up to what they usually are: a federation of worse oppressors than the last bunch of oppressors. Often, the most barbaric atrocities occur when both combatants proclaim themselves freedom-fighters.-Yuri Orlov

The reason I'll be released is the same reason you think I'll be convicted. I do rub shoulders with some of the most vile, sadistic men calling themselves leaders today. But some of these men are the enemies of your enemies. And while the biggest arms dealer in the world is your boss - the President of the United States, who ships more merchandise in a day than I do in a year - sometimes it's embarrassing to have his fingerprints on the guns. Sometimes he needs a freelancer like me to supply forces he can't be seen supplying. So. You call me evil, but unfortunately for you, I'm a necessary evil.- Yuri Orlov

Of all the weapons in the vast soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure, no one was lining up to buy their cars.-Yuri Orlov

You know who's going to inherit the Earth? Arms dealers. Because everyone else is too busy killing each other. That's the secret to survival. Never go to war. Especially with yourself.-Yuri Orlov

Bryson C
08-23-2006, 05:29 PM
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
--Japanese Proverb

Train hard, fight easy... and win.
Train easy, fight hard... and die.
--Unknown

"Frederick the Great's horse was on seven separate campaigns with him. In the end he was still a dumb horse."
--Unknown
(on experience in military decision-making)

"I've got to go to meet God - and explain all those men I killed at Alamein"
--Field Marshall Viscount Montgomery
(1976, near the end of his life)

Yeoman
08-23-2006, 05:42 PM
now I may be off in the wording (I'll check again tonight) but byng once said this about our troops during the great war
"now I may be able to get you to attack and hold any trench, but I'd be damned if I could get you to dig that trench!"
still true to this day, I hate diggin trenches.
Greg

Finity01
08-23-2006, 06:15 PM
"When cities burn and armies turn
and flee in disarray,
Cowards will cry 'Tis best to fly
and fight another day!'
But True warriors know it
in their marrow that when they
fight and fall, it is better to have
fought and lost than to have
never fought at all."
Not quite sure I remember where that one came from, but its one that I seem to have an easy time remembering...

the son of the conquerors
08-25-2006, 09:49 AM
u can kill turks but u cant defeat them(napeleon)
there are no nation braver than turks.Allah created them in the adjective of lion(ibn-i hassul)
turks are the noble of the nobles.their natural behaviours are prize of nature to them(pierre loti)
everybody who wants to have deligth of war should figth with turks(tawsend-english commander)
at the looking of all turks,it is possible to see the confidence that gun gives to spirit.they had learned looking life in confidence(molkte)
turk soldiers are brave.they love their country and give their life without hesitating for it(albert einstein)
i wont figth with turks anymore.they are brave and nice people(andreas phitiades)
there are two unknowns in the world.one are the poles,the other are turks(albert soler)
even if u give the strongest 10 man of the 10 nation to a person,it will never be equal to a turk.the most spoken thing above turks are war and victory and their biggest fun are weapon and horse(charles macferlene)
turkish nation is professional soldier for 2000 years.the job of all turks are the military profession(donaldson)
there is no nation to be able to stand this much out of turks(hamilton)
there is no ready soldier to give their life for their country and religion out of turks(hamilton)
turks are first class workers at founding and demolishing countries.history learned so much from turks(hammer)
u cant find any nation who looks death by smelling like turks(mulman)
nevertouch to turks unless they touch u(prophet muhammet)sav
if there werent any turkish country we should have created it(thiers)

the son of the conquerors
08-25-2006, 10:01 AM
one more;
if the war god saw turks while fighting,he would be ashamed of himself(a monk)

sp2c
08-25-2006, 10:40 AM
"I think we lost"

my grandfather during a break in the fighting at Overschie when he looked over his shoulders and saw Rotterdam burn on may 14th 1940

St Fubar
08-25-2006, 10:58 AM
"No, you shoot him."
- My grandfather to his buddy during the Continuation War, regarding who should shoot a lone Russian soldier who was sneaking towards the Finnish positions. A second later, the soldier ended the argument by stepping on a mine.

"It's a warrior's weather, boys!"
- A Second Lieutenant, regarding a particularly violent rain storm during our basic training.

ArmyJonHall
08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Unknown US soldier (or Marine) from Vietnam-
"Well, we're surrounded- that simplifies the problem."

Bryson C
08-25-2006, 03:03 PM
“It’s Too dark... I mean too late”
--George S. Patton, Dec. 21, 1945
(His last words)

“It is better to have a known enemy than a forced ally”
--Napoleon

“You will be home before the leaves have fallen from the trees”
--Kaiser Wilhelm II
(To his troops at the start of World War I)

Bryson C
08-27-2006, 11:35 PM
"You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake."
--Jeannette Rankin

“The best way to keep one's word is not to give it.”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”
--Albert Einstein

“The way to win an atomic war is to make certain it never starts”
--Omar Bradley
(Speech to Boston Chamber of Commerce, 1948)

loganinkosovo
08-28-2006, 05:46 AM
"You are a Blivet. Do you know what a Blivet is? It's 10 pounds of S#$T in a 5 pound bag."

A sergeant said this to a trooper in my squad after he tried to talk his way out of a sticky situation.

"You are just spring-loaded in the dumb position today, aren't you?"

Same sergeant to a private who had said something profoundly stupid for the third time that morning.

PrinzEugen
08-28-2006, 06:13 AM
Mar. 16, 2003
**** Cheney
"My belief is we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators. . . . I think it will go relatively quickly, . . . [in] weeks rather than months."

Bryson C
08-29-2006, 12:50 PM
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think hard before starting a war."
--Otto Von Bismarck

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(I came, I saw, I conquered)
--Julius Caesar

“Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.”
--General George Patton Jr

"You can do everything with bayonets, but you are not able to sit on them"
--Otto Von Bismarck

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.”
--General George Patton Jr

wildheart
08-29-2006, 05:32 PM
''we will be home for christmas'' - allways a clasic especially as the host of world leaders etc never say which Christmas
but my favorites of all time come from (former) Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf

wildheart
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM
from the former Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf scrap book .....

I blame Al-Jazeera - they are marketing for the Americans

No I am not scared, and neither should you be!

Be assured. Baghdad is safe, protected

I can say, and I am responsible for what I am saying, that they have
started to commit suicide under the walls of Baghdad. We
will encourage them to commit more suicides quickly

We will kill them all........most of them

loads more at http://www.welovetheiraqiinformationminister.com/#quotes

Spetsnaz74
08-29-2006, 07:09 PM
In the Soviet army it takes more courage to retreat than advance.
Joseph Stalin

History knows no greater display of courage than that shown by the people of the Soviet Union. - Henry L. Stimson, Secretary of War

Anthony91
08-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Unknown US soldier (or Marine) from Vietnam-
"Well, we're surrounded- that simplifies the problem."

I think it was Gen. Lewis Puller in Korea.

Bryson C
08-30-2006, 11:09 PM
"To sin by silence, when they should protest, makes cowards of men"
-- Abraham Lincoln, attributed.

"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueller it is the
sooner it will be over."
--William Tecumseh Sherman

"Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates."
--F.E. Adcock, British classical scholar

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want."
--General William T. Sherman

"The man who can't make a mistake can't make anything."
--Abraham Lincoln

Bryson C
08-31-2006, 05:43 PM
"Once we have a war there is only one thing to do. It must be won. For defeat
brings worse things than any that can ever happen in war."
--Ernest Hemingway

"Execute every act of thy life as though it were thy last."
--Marcus Aurelius

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."
--Prime Minister Winston Churchill (about the Royal Air Force)

"There is at least one thing worse than fighting with allies – And that is to fight without them"
--Winston S. Churchill

"The power of an air force is terrific when there is nothing to oppose it."
--Winston Churchill

maybee
09-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Said to a girl's friend after she agreed to walk the perimeter with a SEAL. "You can't help her now." _1985

Bryson C
09-11-2006, 12:54 PM
"The bullet that will kill me is not yet cast."
--Napoleon Bonaparte

"Wherever wood can swim, there I am sure to find this flag of England."
--Napoleon Bonaparte

"Whatever shall we do in that remote spot? Well, we will write our memoirs. Work is the scythe of time."
--Napoleon Bonaparte
(On board H.M.S. Bellerophon, August 1815)

Ivan1
09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.

Patton

Bryson C
09-11-2006, 06:23 PM
"We may find in the long run that tinned food is a deadlier weapon than the machine-gun"
--George Orwell.

Grivas
09-11-2006, 07:32 PM
''We Spartans don't ask how many the enemies are but where they are''

Spartan Maxim

Bryson C
09-12-2006, 04:20 PM
“If you start to take Vienna- take Vienna.”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

“The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue.”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

loganinkosovo
09-14-2006, 07:13 AM
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear considerable watching."
Excerpt from the 1870 Officers Guide

Always inscribed on a brass plaque on the Sergeants Major's desk in the old army. :)

“Umm Qasr is a city similar to Southampton,” UK Defense Minister Geoffery Hoon said in the Commons yesterday.
“He’s either never been to Southampton, or he’s never been to Umm Qasr” says a British Squaddie patrolling Umm Qasr.
Another soldier added:”There’s no beer, no **********s and people are shooting at us. It’s more like Portsmouth.” (Sky News)

The greatest threat to Freedom is neither Fascism nor Communism, it's the Liberal. They can rationalize anything. - Ben Raines

An Armed Man is a Citizen. An Unarmed Man is a Subject.
Subject to any damned thing anyone wants to do to him.
- Ben Raines

Bryson C
09-15-2006, 03:07 PM
During the invasion of Sicily American A-36s attacked an American tank column with yellow recognition flags, one A-36 was shot down by return fire, the pilot bailed out and saw he had been downed by friendly troops. The pilot said ‘why you silly sonuva*****’ a tank commander replied ‘didn’t you see our yellow recognition signal?’, the pilot said ‘Oh’ , ‘Is that what it was?’.

-edit-Book says A-36 must mean A-26.

Atlantic Friend
09-15-2006, 04:58 PM
"I think we lost"

my grandfather during a break in the fighting at Overschie when he looked over his shoulders and saw Rotterdam burn on may 14th 1940

Your grandad had more than a touch of English understatement in him, eh ? :)

Bryson C
09-16-2006, 06:58 PM
"Thank God! Then I'll be at them with the bayonet"
--Gen. Sir Hugh Gough, Feb., 1846 Battle of Sobraon.
On being told his troops were low on ammunition.

Bryson C
09-17-2006, 07:29 PM
“All men who value life more than the glory of the nation and the esteem of their comrades should not be members of the French Army.”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

“I can no longer obey; I have tasted command, and I cannot give it up.”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

“Nothing is more important in war than unity in command”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

krugger
09-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Some more, some translated a bit freely:

"War nutures itself" - original "Bellum se ipsum alet"
-- Tito Livio (Roman)

"Lets make war so we can live in peace"
-- Aristoteles (Greek)

"The stronger we are, the unprobabler war is" - original:"Je stärker wir sind, desto unwahrscheinlicher ist der Krieg"
-- Bismark (German)

"The weapons silence the laws" - original: "Silent leges inter arma"
-- Cicero (Roman)

"Always when men are impeled to fight for need, they fight for greed" - original: "Qualunque volta è tolto agli uomini il combattere per mecesssità, combattono per ambizione"
-- Maquiavel (Italian)

"God is always with the strongest battalians" - original: "Gott ist immer mit den stärksten Battalionen"
-- Fredrick the Great (Prusia)

Bryson C
09-18-2006, 09:29 PM
“Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

“The greatest general is he who makes the fewest mistakes.”
--Napoleon Bonaparte

PELEIDES
03-03-2007, 01:25 AM
I think you stole that one from us. I've heard it a fair few times from different sources, the first time was on a documentary. Hitler asked Rommel why he was letting a single colonial division withstand the might of the German Empire, and the response was somewhere along the lines of, "This is no colonial division, this is an Australian division. Give me two Australian divisions and I will conquer the world".

Can you verify that? I heard a similar version with Canadians. Unless everyone is claiming it. I heard Hitler asked of Rommell "Tell me what you need to win?' Rommell responded" Give me Canadian soldiers and American weapons and I'll conquer the world". Anyone?

digrar
03-03-2007, 01:43 AM
The version I heard of that was Australian Soldiers, German Officers and American resupply.

Opening Batsman
03-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Can somebody please reincarnate Rommel so we can discuss over tea and biscuits?

boone
03-03-2007, 03:42 AM
"The Canadian contingent opposing us is most perplexing. As a tactical adversary they stubbornly refuse to adhere to there own doctrine!"
Some Soviet General whose name escapes me.

Oneto15
03-03-2007, 01:00 PM
"There are very few problems in the world that cannot be resolved with the judicious use of high explosive".

Unknown (from a novel I think) .

exarmyguard
03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Si vis parcem, parabellum. If you want peace, prepare for war. SOmeone probably already said it, but I can't look through 8 pages of thread to find it.

A smooth stroke and a stiff shaft will get you in the hole, everytime. My LT when the whole squad played a round of golf.

exarmyguard
03-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Can somebody please reincarnate Rommel so we can discuss over tea and biscuits?

I'll see what I can do...:roll:

California Joe
03-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
Jeff Cooper

Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun."
Jeff Cooper

exarmyguard
03-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
Jeff Cooper

Remember the first rule of gunfighting... "have a gun."
Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper, great author. I think its "To shoot straight and speak the truth."

exarmyguard
03-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Can you verify that? I heard a similar version with Canadians. Unless everyone is claiming it. I heard Hitler asked of Rommell "Tell me what you need to win?' Rommell responded" Give me Canadian soldiers and American weapons and I'll conquer the world". Anyone?

I was there and no, that was not said. rofl

Labud
03-04-2007, 02:40 PM
"Even to the jaws of death, but we can't stop!''
Marshal Zivojin Misic, chief of Serbian High command, when allies told him to stop after battle of Dobro Polje to wait other allied units.

Macs.
03-04-2007, 02:46 PM
We got around to the subject of war again and I said that, contrary to his attitude, I did not think that the common people are very thankful for leaders who bring them war and destruction.

"Why, of course, the people don't want war," Goering shrugged. "Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship."

"There is one difference," I pointed out. "In a democracy the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars."

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

The quote cited above does not appear in transcripts of the Nuremberg trials because although Goering spoke these words during the course of the proceedings, he did not offer them at his trial. His comments were made privately to Gustave Gilbert, a German-speaking intelligence officer and psychologist who was granted free access by the Allies to all the prisoners held in the Nuremberg jail. Gilbert kept a journal of his observations of the proceedings and his conversations with the prisoners, which he later published in the book Nuremberg Diary. The quote offered above was part of a conversation Gilbert held with a dejected Hermann Goering in his cell on the evening of 18 April 1946, as the trials were halted for a three-day Easter recess.

Lt.Havoc
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."

"We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them"

"Remember, you are the 1st Marines! Not all the Communists in Hell can overrun you!"

"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the real Marines."

"Alright you bastards, try and shoot me!" (to Korean forces)

"Where do you put the bayonet?" (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em."

Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell " all Chesty" Puller

"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than about peace, more about killing than we know about living." Omar Bradley

"The death of one is a tragedy, but the death of millions is a statistic" also sometimes qouted "If you will kill one, it is a tragedy, but if you kill 10 million, then it is a statistic"

"A man, a problem, no man, no problem" all Josef Stalin

Laconian
03-04-2007, 06:22 PM
"Buddy is only half a word."

"It's you and me, until it's you or me."

Ruutiukko
03-05-2007, 07:31 AM
"Neither skill nor art will save you when an angel pisses into your flintlock."
-Frederick the Great

"All ahead full and damn the torpedoes!"
-Admiral Farragut

Mastermind
03-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I just came across this little gem and thought it said so much in so few words....it certainly has military tone and bearing.MM

"Let the other guy have whatever he wants before the fight. Once the bell rings he's gonna be disappointed anyway."
--George Foreman

PELEIDES
03-10-2007, 02:02 AM
"Malon labe" King Leonidas to the Persians 480 BC

"Then we shall fight in the shade" Spartan Warrior to the Persians 480 BC

"Malon Labe" Greek Prime Minister to the Italian Ambassador's ultimatum 1940

"We Greeks taught the world how to live, now we'll teach them how to die" Greek commander refusing the British offer to leave Greece 1941

INAT
03-10-2007, 03:51 AM
"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a
crime."
- Ernest Hemingway

"In a man to man fight the winner is the one who puts an extra round in his magazine"
Erwin Rommel
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

-FielRd Marshal Erwin Rommel
Rr

GoodToGo
03-10-2007, 06:18 AM

Not trying to be a ***** here, but rather in the interests of historical accuracy, Yamamoto never made this statement. I believe that poetic line can in fact be traced to a movie script written by a Hollywood screenwriter named Larry Forrester, who used those few words to great effect in the Academy Award-winning 1970 WWII epic “Tora! Tora! Tora!”.

EDIT: Sorry LimeyFellow, i just caught that you beat me to the correction a few pages later....my bad!

hauptman
03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Other nations have an army, Prussia is an army which has a state - Honoré Gabriel de Mirabeau, French statesman

Freibier
03-10-2007, 01:53 PM
"It is sometimes tougher to fight my superiors than the French." - Heinz "Achtung - Panzer!" Guderian

zulu261
03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
"Sir, we're surrounded" "Excellent, now we can attack in any direction"

Whoever ;)

Vuk1389
03-10-2007, 05:56 PM
"Pitty the world if the Serbs unite" - (The Muslim and Orthodox Serbs) Turkish ruler of Serbia

I95
03-10-2007, 11:17 PM
"Our original weapons were simply hatching babies."
Defense Minister Susak, on Croatia's response to American inquiries about arms smuggling to fight against Serbs

"Bomb them and bomb them some more until these Chetnik [Serbian] bastards beg for the mercy they never showed anybody in this war."
Sarajevan after NATO air strikes

"It makes me nervous -- everyone knows I'm not used to shooting apples."
Zeljko 'Arkan' Raznatovic, Serb militia leader & wanted war criminal, speaking about the Serb marriage tradition of shooting apples off the bride's roof

"If you confront us with the choice -- either UN blue helmets or weapons -- we choose weapons. They at least guarantee our people's survival."
Alija Izetbegovic, Bosnian President

Freibier
03-10-2007, 11:51 PM
"Serbien muss sterbien" (Serbia has to die) - Wilhelm II

INAT
03-11-2007, 12:02 AM

Whoever ;)

Thats funny.It sounds like something from Monty Python.

AK-Lover
03-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Wow whats will all the Serbian hate qoutes?
:roll:

cinoeye
03-20-2007, 01:32 PM
"Even to the jaws of death, but we can't stop!''
Marshal Zivojin Misic, chief of Serbian High command, when allies told him to stop after battle of Dobro Polje to wait other allied units.

Soldiers! Heroes! The supreme command has erased our regiment from its records. Our regiment has been sacrificed for the honor of Belgrade and the Fatherland. Therefore, you no longer have to worry for your lives - they do not exist anymore. So, forward to glory! For King and Homeland! Long live the king! Long live Belgrade!"
Major Dragutin Gavrilović gave speech to his soldiers - defenders of Belgrade in October 1915 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1915), just before the infantry charge in which he was heavily wounded.

cinoeye
03-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Yea, that's a good idea!

Labud
03-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Soldiers! Heroes! The supreme command has erased our regiment from its records. Our regiment has been sacrificed for the honor of Belgrade and the Fatherland. Therefore, you no longer have to worry for your lives - they do not exist anymore. So, forward to glory! For King and Homeland! Long live the king! Long live Belgrade!"
Major Dragutin Gavrilović gave speech to his soldiers - defenders of Belgrade in October 1915 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1915), just before the infantry charge in which he was heavily wounded.

I like this one very much!
And now command of Serbian oficiers to soldiers after brekingthrough the Thessaloniki front:"Follow me, my heroes! Forward to the Fatherland!"

IronFinn
03-22-2007, 05:55 PM
The commander of 10th division, Colonel Kai Savonjousi to his troops in
Karelian isthmus, -44 during the SU offensive when the division was regrouping after retreat.

"From here we do not retreat anymore. We just cannot.
The next defence line will be manned by our mothers, sisters, children and
parents, the open heart of Finland. Here we will die. I have come here to die.
Running is done my brothers. Now is the time to be once more a defender of Finland.
If someone runs I will be there to hold him. This is my part."
(own translation)

Mastermind
03-23-2007, 12:55 PM
The commander of 10th division, Colonel Kai Savonjousi to his troops in
Karelian isthmus, -44 during the SU offensive when the division was regrouping after retreat.

"From here we do not retreat anymore. We just cannot.
The next defence line will be manned by our mothers, sisters, children and
parents, the open heart of Finland. Here we will die. I have come here to die.
Running is done my brothers. Now is the time to be once more a defender of Finland.
If someone runs I will be there to hold him. This is my part."
(own translation)
That is worth memorizing...it is stout. MM

cinoeye
03-23-2007, 02:36 PM
That is worth memorizing...it is stout. MM
Yes, it is very strong!

Laconian
03-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Maybe one of the Austrailians here can verify this one:

Special Orders to No. 1 Section 13.Mar.18

1. This position will be held, and the section will remain here until relieved.

2. The enemy cannot be allowed to interfere with this programme.

3. If this section cannot remain here alive, it will remain here dead, but in any case it will remain here.

4. Should any man, through shell shock or other cause, attempt to surrender, he will remain here dead.

5. Should all guns be blown out, the section will use Mills grenades and other novelties.

6. Finally, the position, as stated, will be held.

F. P. Bethune, Lr.
O/C, No. 1 Section

An Austrailian lieutenant serving in France WWI. The position held.

ReggayMC
03-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Probably been posted but still is a great quote:

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal!"-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gungnir
03-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Our time to shine, to be glorified, is now. We cannot know the future or what God has in store for us. All we can do is be faithful. If we are not here next Sunday, it's been a privilege for us to worship with you. You will see us on the battlefield looking terribly unsoldierly, out of shape and out of place. Where you are, we will go.
-Father Nick Gosnell, Chaplain to the 16th Air Assault Brigade
2003, Operation Telic (Operation Iraqi Freedom)

"We are going to Iraq to liberate and not to conquer . . . We will not fly our flags in their country. We are entering Iraq to free a people and the only flag that will be flown in that ancient land will be their own. Show respect for them. The enemy know this moment is coming, too. I expect you to rock their world. Wipe them out if that is what they choose. But if you are ferocious in battle, remember to be magnanimous in victory. If there are casualties of war, remember they did not plan to die this day. Bury them with reverence and properly mark their graves. If you harm your regiment or its history by over-enthusiasm in killing, or cowardice, know that it is your family who will suffer. You will be shunned unless your conduct is of the highest for your deeds will follow you down through history. Wel will bring shame on neither our uniform or our nation."
-LTC Tim Collins, 1st Bn Royal Irish Regiment
2003, Operation Telic
(there are some parts missing from this speech)

BadKarma26
03-25-2007, 07:00 PM
"When in panic, when in doubt--run in circles--scream and shout"

-Can't remember

Lov3ll
03-25-2007, 09:15 PM
"My Luftwaffe is invincible...And so now we turn to England. How long will this one last two, three weeks?"

Hermann Goring
June 1940

Tiger75
03-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Maybe one of the Austrailians here can verify this one:

Special Orders to No. 1 Section 13.Mar.18

1. This position will be held, and the section will remain here until relieved.

2. The enemy cannot be allowed to interfere with this programme.

3. If this section cannot remain here alive, it will remain here dead, but in any case it will remain here.

4. Should any man, through shell shock or other cause, attempt to surrender, he will remain here dead.

5. Should all guns be blown out, the section will use Mills grenades and other novelties.

6. Finally, the position, as stated, will be held.

F. P. Bethune, Lr.
O/C, No. 1 Section

An Austrailian lieutenant serving in France WWI. The position held.

Correct mate

http://www.awm.gov.au/1918/soldier/images/exdoc40_bethune.jpg

source: http://www.awm.gov.au/1918/soldier/exdoc40.htm

Boogabear6
03-30-2007, 12:12 AM
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato

"Always Cheat, Always Win The only Unfair Fight Was The One You Lost!"

inarguable
03-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Just want to say that this is a great thread! Thanks guys. Here are a few more quotes that I don't think I have seen here yet.

“Let it be known that paradise lies in the shadow of the swords.”
PROPHET MUHAMMAD – The book of Jihad and Expedition (Kitab Al-Jihad wa’l-Sayir)

“And whoever desires a religion other than Islam, it shall not be accepted from him, and in the hereafter he shall be one of the losers.”
HOLY QUR’AN – 3:85: (c.651 AD)

“Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.”
BLAISE PASCAL – 17th Century French mathematician, physicist, and religious philosopher (b.1623-d.1662)

“Allah is our goal. The Prophet is our leader. The Holy Qur’an is our law. Holy war is our way. To die for Allah is our highest expectation.”
MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD – Official Motto

“We love death. America loves life. That is the big difference between us.”
USAMA BIN LADEN – excerpt from interview conducted somewhere in the Tora Bora region of Afghanistan (November 2001)

“We have seen in the last decade the decline of the American government and the weaknesses of the American soldier, who is ready to wage cold wars and unprepared to fight long wars. This was proven in Beirut when the Marines fled after two explosions. It also proves they can be forced to run within 24 hours, and this was also repeated in Somalia…where our youth were surprised at the low morale of the American soldiers…After a few blows, they ran in defeat…They forgot about being the world leader and the leader of the new world order. [They] left, dragging their corpses and their shameful defeat.”
USAMA BIN LADEN – excerpt from an interview conducted by John Miller, ABC News - (May 28th, 1998)

“Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates”
F.E. ADCOCK - British classical scholar

“We will use all the means at our disposal to bring those responsible to justice, no matter what or how long it takes.” (Sure, Bill! SURE you will)
BILL CLINTON – 42nd President of the United States – statement to the American people following the Embassy attacks in Tanzania and Kenya (August 7th, 1998)

"We have to defend our future from these predators of the 21st Century.... They will be all the more lethal if we allow them to build arsenals of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them. We simply cannot allow that to happen. There is no more clear example of this threat than Saddam Hussein."
BILL CLINTON – 42nd President of the United States – statement to the American people - (February 17th, 1998)

“We have some planes.”
Radio transmission believed to have been made by terrorist MUHAMMAD ATTA from hijacked American Airlines Flight 11 - (September 11th, 2001)

“Allah Has Answered Our Prayers!”
HEADLINE – response to the 9/11 attacks, from the Palestinian (Gaza) weekly newspaper periodical al-Risala - (published September 13th, 2001)

“The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty demands respect. Men hate us, but we do not ask for their love; only their fear.”
HEINRICH HIMMLER – Reichsfuhrer of the Nazi SS stormtroopers and the Gestapo secret police during the 2nd World War (1942)

“The terrorists are fighting freedom with all their cunning and cruelty because freedom is their greatest fear – and they should be afraid, because freedom is on the march.”
GEORGE W. BUSH - 43rd President of the United States – (September 2nd, 2004)

“In the defense of our nation, a president must be a clear-eyed realist. There are limits to the smiles and scowls of diplomacy. Armies and missiles are not stopped by stiff notes of condemnation. They are held in check by strength and purpose and the promise of swift punishment.”
GEORGE W. BUSH – 43rd President of the United States – excerpt from speech (November 19th, 1999)

“For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.”
SUN TZU – author of “The Art Of War”, long praised as the definitive work on military strategy and tactics - (6th Century B.C.)

“To kill the Americans and their allies - civilians and military - is an individual duty for every Muslim who is able, in any country in which it is possible to do it, in order to liberate the al-Aqsa Mosque [Jerusalem] and the holy mosque [Mecca] from their grip, and until their armies, shattered and broken-winged, depart from all the lands of Islam, defeated and incapable of threatening any Muslim.”
USAMA BIN LADEN - In a Fatwa entitled “Jihad Against Jews and Crusaders” World Islamic Front Statement – (February 28, 1998)

“It is not enough to merely defend democracy. To defend it may be to lose it; to extend it is to strengthen it. Democracy is not property. It is an idea.”
ADLAI STEVENSON – American politician, Governor of Illinois (1949-53) and US Ambassador to the United Nations (1961-65) (b.1900-d.1965)

“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless made or kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”
JOHN STUART MILL – renowned 19th Century English philosopher and political economist (b.1806-d.1873)

“A Prisoner of War is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”
WINSTON CHURCHILL – British Orator, Author and Prime Minister during WWII (b.1874-d.1965)

(And I will end with my personal favorite)

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who wish to do us harm."
GEORGE ORWELL

camman
04-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace. ~Charles Sumner

War does not determine who is right - only who is left. ~Bertrand Russell

It'll be a great day when education gets all the money it wants and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy bombers. ~Author unknown, quoted in You Said a Mouthful edited by Ronald D. Fuchs

Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind. ~John F. Kennedy, 1961

I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask, "Mother, what was war?" ~Eve Merriam

The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking... the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker. ~Albert Einstein

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations. ~David Friedman

"There are no atheists in foxholes" isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes. ~James Morrow

Sometimes I think it should be a rule of war that you have to see somebody up close and get to know him before you can shoot him. ~M*A*S*H, Colonel Potter

All the arms we need are for hugging. ~Author Unknown

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon. ~Napoleon

A great war leaves the country with three armies - an army of cripples, an army of mourners, and an army of thieves. ~German Proverb

The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living. ~Omar Bradley

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953

The most persistent sound which reverberates through men's history is the beating of war drums. ~Arthur Koestler, J****: A Summing Up

What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. ~Robert E. Lee, letter to his wife, 1864

Everyone's a pacifist between wars. It's like being a vegetarian between meals. ~Colman McCarthy

Nations have recently been led to borrow billions for war; no nation has ever borrowed largely for education. Probably, no nation is rich enough to pay for both war and civilization. We must make our choice; we cannot have both. ~Abraham Flexner

Draft beer; not people. ~Author Unknown

The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today. ~John F. Kennedy

In Flanders fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
~John McCrae

What this planet needs is more mistletoe and less missile-talk. ~Author Unknown

Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them. ~Pacifist Badge, 1978

Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime. ~Ernest Hemingway

War makes thieves and peace hangs them. ~George Herbert

You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake. ~Jeanette Rankin

You are not going to get peace with millions of armed men. The chariot of peace cannot advance over a road littered with cannon. ~David Lloyd George

Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come. ~Carl Sandburg

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers. ~José Narosky

We kind o' thought Christ went agin war an' pillage. ~James Russell Lowell

If we let people see that kind of thing, there would never again be any war. ~Pentagon official explaining why the U.S. military censored graphic footage from the Gulf War

I have no doubt that we will be successful in harnessing the sun's energy.... If sunbeams were weapons of war, we would have had solar energy centuries ago. ~Sir George Porter, quoted in The Observer, 26 August 1973

War would end if the dead could return. ~Stanley Baldwin

War! that mad game the world so loves to play. ~Jonathan Swift

It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. ~Voltaire, War

If it's natural to kill, why do men have to go into training to learn how? ~Joan Baez, "What Would You Do If....?"

I couldn't help but say to [Mr. Gorbachev], just think how easy his task and mine might be in these meetings that we held if suddenly there was a threat to this world from another planet. [We'd] find out once and for all that we really are all human beings here on this earth together. ~Ronald Reagan, 1985

[John] Dalton's records, carefully preserved for a century, were destroyed during the World War II bombing of Manchester. It is not only the living who are killed in war. ~Isaac Asimov

The tragedy of war is that it uses man's best to do man's worst. ~Henry Fos****

All wars are follies, very expensive and very mischievous ones. In my opinion, there never was a good war or a bad peace. When will mankind be convinced and agree to settle their difficulties by arbitration? ~Benjamin Franklin

In war, truth is the first casualty. ~Aeschylus (Thanks, Dan.)

Men are at war with each other because each man is at war with himself. ~Francis Meehan

No country is so wild and difficult but men will make it a theater of war. ~Ambrose Bierce

War grows out of the desire of the individual to gain advantage at the expense of his fellow man. ~Napoleon Hill

We have war when at least one of the parties to a conflict wants something more than it wants peace. ~Jeane J. Kirkpatrick

Man is the only animal that deals in that atrocity of atrocities, War. He is the only one that gathers his brethren about him and goes forth in cold blood and calm pulse to exterminate his kind. He is the only animal that for sordid wages will march out... and help to slaughter strangers of his own species who have done him no harm and with whom he has no quarrel.... And in the intervals between campaigns he washes the blood off his hands and works for "the universal brotherhood of man" - with his mouth. ~Mark Twain

Patriots always talk of dying for their country and never of killing for their country. ~Bertrand Russell, attributed

It doesn't require any particular bravery to stand on the floor of the Senate and urge our boys in Vietnam to fight harder, and if this war mushrooms into a major conflict and a hundred thousand young Americans are killed, it won't be U.S. Senators who die. It will be American soldiers who are too young to qualify for the Senate. ~George McGovern

I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in. ~George McGovern

When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. ~Albert Einstein, "Atomic War or Peace," Atlantic Monthly, November 1945

You cannot prevent and prepare for war at the same time. ~Albert Einstein

We kill because we are afraid of our own shadow, afraid that if we used a little common sense we'd have to admit that our glorious principles were wrong. ~Henry Miller, The Wisdom of the Heart, 1941

The refuge of the morally, intellectually, artistically and economically bankrupt is war. ~Martin H. Fischer

They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason. ~Ernest Hemingway

The ability and inclination to use physical strength is no indication of bravery or tenacity to life. The greatest cowards are often the greatest bullies. Nothing is cheaper and more common than physical bravery. ~Clarence Darrow, Resist Not Evil

Where is the indignation about the fact that the United States and Soviet Union have accumulated thirty thousand pounds of destructive force for every human being in the world? ~Norman Cousins

I think war might be God's way of teaching us geography. ~Paul Rodriguez

The era of true peace on earth will not come as long as a tremendous percentage of your taxes goes to educate men in the trades of slaughter. ~Reginald Wright Kauffman

Are bombs the only way of setting fire to the spirit of a people? Is the human will as inert as the past two world-wide wars would indicate? ~Gregory Clark

The way to win an atomic war is to make certain it never starts. ~Omar Bradley

War is only a cowardly escape from the problems of peace. ~Thomas Mann

We have failed to grasp the fact that mankind is becoming a single unit, and that for a unit to fight against itself is suicide. ~Havelock Ellis

Have not I myself known five hundred living soldiers sabred into crows' meat for a piece of glazed cotton, which they call their flag; which had you sold it at any market-cross, would not have brought above three groschen? ~Thomas Carlyle, "Sartor Resartus"

The basic problems facing the world today are not susceptible to a military solution. ~John F. Kennedy

War is the only game in which it doesn't pay to have the home-court advantage. ~**** Motta

If it were proved to me that in making war, my ideal had a chance of being realized, I would still say "no" to war. For one does not create a human society on mounds of corpses. ~Louis Lecoin

War is fear cloaked in courage. ~William Westmoreland

War has a deeper and more ineffable relation to hidden grandeurs in man than has yet been deciphered. ~Thomas de Quincey

No country can act wisely simultaneously in every part of the globe at every moment of time. ~Henry Kissinger

Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed red with innocent blood. ~Gandhi, Non-violence in Peace and War, 1948

I would like it if men had to partake in the same hormonal cycles to which we're subjected monthly. Maybe that's why men declare war - because they have a need to bleed on a regular basis. ~Brett Butler

We saw the lightning and that was the guns and then we heard the thunder and that was the big guns; and then we heard the rain falling and that was the blood falling; and when we came to get in the crops, it was dead men that we reaped. ~Harriet Tubman

It is easier to lead men to combat, stirring up their passions, than to restrain them and direct them toward the patient labors of peace. ~André Gide, Journals, 13 September 1938

Battles, in these ages, are transacted by mechanism; with the slightest possible development of human individuality or spontaneity; men now even die, and kill one another, in an artificial manner. ~Thomas Carlyle, The French Revolution, vol 1, book VII, chapter 4

The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars. ~William Westmoreland

I have never advocated war except as a means of peace. ~Ulysses S. Grant

We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it. ~Dwight D. Eisenhower

In the name of peace
They waged the wars
Ain't they got no shame
~Nikki Giovanni

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. ~Author Unknown

What is absurd and monstrous about war is that men who have no personal quarrel should be trained to murder one another in cold blood. ~Aldous Huxley

Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder. ~Percy Bysshe Shelley, "A Declaration of Rights"

Frankly, I'd like to see the government get out of war altogether and leave the whole field to private individuals. ~Joseph Heller, Catch-22, 1955

To kill a man is not to defend a doctrine, but to kill a man. ~Michael Servetus

A day will come when a cannon will be exhibited in museums, just as instruments of torture are now, and the people will be astonished that such a thing could have been. ~Victor Hugo

Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think hard before starting a war. ~Otto Von Bismark

The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from red people. ~Gerome Gragni and James Rado, 1967

War hath no fury like a noncombatant. ~Charles Edward Montague, Disenchantment

What a country calls its vital... interests are not things that help its people live, but things that help it make war. Petroleum is a more likely cause of international conflict than wheat. ~Simone Weil, Ecrits historiques et politiques, 1960

War is never a solution; it is an aggravation. ~Benjamin Disraeli

The stench of the trail of Ego in our History. It is ego - ego, the fountain cry, origin, sole source of war. ~George Meredith, Beauchamp's Career

Dress it as we may, feather it, daub it with gold, huzza it, and sing swaggering songs about it, what is war, nine times out of ten, but murder in uniform? ~Douglas Jerrold

If you wish to be brothers, drop your weapons. ~Pope John Paul II

Law never made men a whit more just; and by means of their respect for it, even the well-disposed are daily made the agents of injustice. A common and natural result of an undue respect for law is that you may see a file of soldiers, colonel, captain, corporal, privates, powder-monkeys, and all marching in admirable order over hill and dale to the wars, against their wills, ay, against their common sense and consciences, which makes it very steep marching indeed, and produces a palpitation of the heart. They have no doubt that it is a damnable business in which they are concerned; they are all peaceably inclined. Now, what are they? Men at all? or small movable forts and magazines, at the service of some unscrupulous man in power? The mass of men serve the State thus, not as men mainly, but as machines, with their bodies.... In most cases there is no free exercise whatever of the judgment or of the moral sense; but they put themselves on a level with wood and earth and stones; and wooden men can perhaps be manufactured that will serve the purpose as well. ~Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

Older men declare war. But it is the youth that must fight and die. ~Herbert Hoover

A day of battle is a day of harvest for the devil. ~William Hooke

There is nothing that war has ever achieved that we could not better achieve without it. ~Havelock Ellis

All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers. ~François Fénelon

War should belong to the tragic past, to history: it should find no place on humanity's agenda for the future. ~Pope John Paul II (Karol Wojtyla)

Men were made for war. Without it they wandered greyly about, getting under the feet of the women, who were trying to organize the really important things of life. ~Alice Thomas Ellis

Will... the threat of common extermination continue?... Must children receive the arms race from us as a necessary inheritance? ~Pope John Paul II, speech at the UN, 1979

War is nothing less than a temporary repeal of the principles of virtue. It is a system out of which almost all the virtues are excluded, and in which nearly all the vices are included. ~Robert Hall

Traditional nationalism cannot survive the fissioning of the atom. One world or none. ~Stuart Chase

Wars usually have the effect of speeding up the process of history. ~Pieter Geyl, Debates With Historians

Why do we kill people who are killing people to show that killing people is wrong? ~Holly Near

The pioneers of a warless world are the [youth] who refuse military service. ~Albert Einstein

O Lord our God, help us tear their soldiers to bloody shreds with our shells; help us to cover their smiling fields with the pale forms of their patriot dead; help us to drown the thunder of the guns with the shrieks of their wounded, writhing in pain; help us to lay waste their humble homes with a hurricane of fire; help us to wring the hearts of their unoffending widows with unavailing grief; help us to turn them out roofless with their little children to wander unfriended the wastes of their desolated land in rags and hunger and thirst, sports of the sun flames of summer and the icy winds of winter, broken in spirit, worn with travail, imploring Thee for the refuge of the grave and denied it. ~Mark Twain, "The War Prayer"

The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic. ~Joe Stalin, comment to Churchill at Potsdam, 1945

Men like war: they do not hold much sway over birth, so they make up for it with death. Unlike women, men menstruate by shedding other people's blood. ~Lucy Ellman

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. ~John Stewart Mill

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. ~Louis Simpson

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his. ~George Patton

The expendability factor has increased by being transferred from the specialised, scarce and expensively trained military personnel to the amorphous civilian population. American strategists have calculated the proportion of civilians killed in this century's major wars. In the First World War 5 per cent of those killed were civilians, in the Second World War 48 per cent, while in a Third World War 90-95 per cent would be civilians. ~Colin Ward, Anarchy in Action

You can't say civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way. ~Will Rogers, New York Times, 23 December 1929

Organized slaughter, we realize, does not settle a dispute; it merely silences an argument. ~James Frederick Green

I recoil with horror at the ferociousness of man. Will nations never devise a more rational umpire of differences than force? Are there no means of coercing injustice more gratifying to our nature than a waste of the blood of thousands and of the labor of millions of our fellow creatures? ~Thomas Jefferson

War should be made a crime, and those who instigate it should be punished as criminals. ~Charles Evans Hughes

War is a game which were their subjects wise, kings would not play at. ~William Cowper

Borders are scratched across the hearts of men
By strangers with a calm, judicial pen,
And when the borders bleed we watch with dread
The lines of ink across the map turn red.
~Marya Mannes, Subverse: Rhymes for Our Times, 1959

If we don't end war, war will end us. ~H.G. Wells, Things to Come, 1935

War is not an adventure. It is a disease. It is like typhus. ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

They should pick a dry year to fight the war. Better yet, civilize the moronic races and have no wars at all. ~Clair J. Clark, letter to wife, March 1944

I don't know whether war is an interlude during peace, or peace an interlude during war. ~Georges Clemenceau

As long as mankind shall continue to bestow more liberal applause on their destroyers than on their benefactors, the thirst of military glory will ever be the vice of exalted characters. ~Edward Gibbon

There's a graveyard in northern France where all the dead boys from D-Day are buried. The white crosses reach from one horizon to the other. I remember looking it over and thinking it was a forest of graves. But the rows were like this, dizzying, diagonal, perfectly straight, so after all it wasn't a forest but an orchard of graves. Nothing to do with nature, unless you count human nature. ~Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams

War! When I but think of this word, I feel bewildered, as though they were speaking to me of sorcery, of the Inquisition, of a distant, finished, abominable, monstrous, unnatural thing. When they speak to us of cannibals, we smile proudly, as we proclaim our superiority to these savages. Who are the real savages? Those who struggle in order to eat those whom they vanquish, or those who struggle merely to kill? ~Guy de Maupassant, Sur l'Eau

The bomb that fell on Hiroshima fell on America too. It fell on no city, no munition plants, no docks. It erased no church, vaporized no public buildings, reduced no man to his atomic elements. But it fell, it fell. ~Hermann Hagedorn, "The Bomb That Fell on America"

I hate war for its consequences, for the lies it lives on and propagates, for the undying hatreds it arouses, for the dictatorships it puts in the place of democracies, and for the starvation that stalks after it. I hate war, and never again will I sanction or support another. ~Harry Emerson Fos****

It seems like such a terrible shame that innocent civilians have to get hurt in wars, otherwise combat would be such a wonderfully healthy way to rid the human race of unneeded trash. ~Fred Woodworth

In an incredible perversion of justice, former soldiers who sprayed festeringly poisonous chemicals on Vietnam, and now find today that they themselves have been damaged by them, appeal to the people for sympathy and charity. The effects of the defoliant "Agent Orange" are discussed at length, but not one single newspaper article or hearing that we are aware of has even mentioned the effects of the people who still live in those regions of Vietnam. It's as outlandish as if Nazis who gassed Jews were now to come forward and whine that the poisons they utilized had finally made them sick. The staggering monstrousness goes unlaughed at and even unnoticed, as in a Kafka novel. ~Fred Woodworth, The Match, No. 79

A visitor from Mars could easily pick out the civilized nations. They have the best implements of war. ~Herbert V. Prochnow

Studies by Medical Corps psychiatrists of combat fatigue cases... found that fear of killing, rather than fear of being killed, was the most common cause of battle failure, and that fear of failure ran a strong second. ~S.L.A. Marshall

You're an old-timer if you can remember when setting the world on fire was a figure of speech. ~Franklin P. Jones, referring to the atomic bomb

camman
04-12-2007, 12:13 AM
"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal
-----------------------------------------------------
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Manual

------------------------------------------------------
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Macarthur
-----------------------------------------------------
"You, you, and you ... Panic. The rest of you, come with me." - U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.

"Tracers work both ways" - U.S. Army Ordnance

- -----------------------------------------------------
"Five second fuses only last three seconds." - Infantry Journal
-------------------------------------------------------

"Any ship can be a minesweeper, Once."

"Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do." - Unknown Marine Recruit

"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him." - USAF Ammo Troop

"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing." - At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan

"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3." - Paul F. Crickmore (test pilot)
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter ... and therefore, unsafe."

"When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash."

"Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another expensive flying club."

***"What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up ... the pilot dies."

"Never trade luck for skill."

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are:

"Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh ****!"

"Airspeed, altitude and brains.
Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."

"Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!"
"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
--------------------------------------------------------

"The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you." - Attributed to Max Stanley (Northrop test pilot)

"There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime."
- Sign over squadron ops desk at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, 1970

---------------------------------------------------------

"If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to."

---------------------------------------------------------

"You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal."

--------------------------------------------------------------

As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft, having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the crash truck arrives, the rescuer sees a bloodied pilot and asks "What happened?".
The pilot's reply: "I don't know, I just got here myself!"
- Attributed to Ray Crandell (Lockheed test pilot)

DnA
04-12-2007, 12:25 AM
good stuff

Seen a few of them in Operation Flashpoint

Ezekiel25:17
04-12-2007, 12:28 AM
"Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do."

Ouoted for truth!!!! Oh the memories.

Alpheus
04-12-2007, 12:30 AM
There are some real gems in the second post.

D-gin
04-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Great post camman......

It doesn't require any particular bravery to stand on the floor of the Senate and urge our boys in Vietnam to fight harder, and if this war mushrooms into a major conflict and a hundred thousand young Americans are killed, it won't be U.S. Senators who die. It will be American soldiers who are too young to qualify for the Senate. ~George McGovern

digrar
04-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Merged, use the search button.

DUCKIE
04-12-2007, 02:24 AM
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" Eleanor Roosevelt

"Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the AMERICAN MARINES."
CAPTURED NORTH KOREAN MAJOR

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

Semper Fi! Cant wait till I can enlist

Opening Batsman
04-12-2007, 07:49 AM
I thought this little gem of an extract from the book Tobruk by Peter Fitzsimons could find a home.

In the immediate aftermath of the charge, those Germans who had surrendered had to be disarmed and taken away, and it was in the course of this that one highly celebrated exchange took place. As recorded in the 2/13th Battalion history, just after the runner for C Company, Private Clarrie Jones, had captured a German captain, his new prisoner demanded to know where the charging troops that had just overrun them and his comrades were from.

"We're Australians," Jones had replied proudly.

"No," the German officer replied, "you must be English, because all Australians have left Tobruk."

Indignant, Jones insisted that they really were Australians, and in the moonlight even showed him the badge he wore on his uniform, with the AIF emblem and the world 'Australia' clearly visible.

Still, the German wouldn't believe him, insisting, "Ach, you are ze English, just dressed up in Australian uniforms to frighten us!"

digrar
04-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Nice one Auzzzie, I remember reading that one.

inarguable
04-12-2007, 02:50 PM
From an F-15 pilot during Red Flag "Colonial Flag" 2007, speaking about having to go up against the F-22 Raptor in mock combat.

"I can't see the [expletive deleted] thing. It won't let me put a weapons system on it, even when I can see it visually through the canopy. [Flying against the F-22] annoys the hell out of me."
RAAF Squadron Leader Stephen Chappell, exchange F-15 pilot in the 65th Aggressor Squadron.

CPLHUNTER
04-12-2007, 02:52 PM
This one is quite telling:

“We love death. America loves life. That is the big difference between us.”

Hopefully we can give him what he loves real soon

Gothjod
04-12-2007, 03:19 PM
"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

- George Washington

Pretty much the Best one out there....

mohica
04-12-2007, 03:54 PM
"Find the bastards and pile on" - George S. Patton Jr.

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree !!!

USMC Poolee
04-12-2007, 04:34 PM

Whoever ;)

Chesty Puller USMC
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time."
"We’re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them"

dont know if this is a quote
an empty rifle is a stick, a rifle with a bayonet is a spear, spear beats stick

Mastermind
04-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Camman has posted some truly endearing quotes. I can not argue with out a pang of conscience against any. But, there is a case for war. There is a case for freedom in the face of overwhelming and terrible tyranny. I would like to offer just these few of a great many from the wonderful warrior for civilization and freedom, Sir Winston Churchill:

“Still, if you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance for survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves”

“Never give in. Never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

“I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government, I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory -- victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival.”

“We shall defend every village, every town and every city. The vast mass of London itself, fought street by street, could easily devour an entire hostile army; and we would rather see London laid in ruins and ashes than that it should be tamely and abjectly enslaved.”

“Nothing is worse than war? Dishonor is worse than war. Slavery is worse than war.”

“Those who can win a war well can rarely make a good peace and those who could make a good peace would never have won the war.”

USMC Poolee
04-15-2007, 07:08 PM
MOTIVATION

We signed up knowing the risk.
Those innocent people in New York
didn't go to work thinking there
was any kind of risk.
Pvt. Mike Armendariz-Clark, USMC;
Afghanastan, 20 September 2001
As reported on page 1 of the New York Times

The safest place in Korea was
right behind a platoon of Marines.
Lord, how they could fight!
MGen. Frank E. Lowe, USA; Korea, 26 January 1952

Marines know how to use
their bayonets.
Army bayonets may as well
be paper-weights.
Navy Times; November 1994

Why in hell can't the Army do it
if the Marines can.
They are the same kind of men;
why can't they be like Marines.
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918

The United States Marine Corps, with
its fiercely proud tradition of excellence
in combat, its hallowed rituals, and its
unbending code of honor, is part of
the fabric of American myth.
Thomas E. Ricks; Making the Corps, 1997

For all of those that have son's or daughter's at
bootcamp let me pass on what I found.
Let me give you a little back ground first.
When my son left home he had no motivation,
he was lazy, slobby, no pride, no self worth.
This is the boy that got off the bus March 18th at
Parris Island. The man that I met on Thursday
for parents day is AWESOME. There is no way
I can describe to you all the difference.
He looks different, he walks different, he talks
different, he has such a sense of bearing and
pride all I could do was look at him in awe.
Oh yes, the training is hard, what he went through
is unimaginable to any one that has not been there.
They are definitely taught to be Warriors.
Let me tell you the surprise of what else they
are taught. My Marine son has better values,
better morals, better manners than any one
I know. It is so much more than Yes Sir, Yes Mam...
so much more. He cares about how he looks, he cares
about what he does, and its not a boastful, bad ass
thing. He is a true gentleman. I saw patience, and a
calmness in him that I have never seen. I could
never express my gratitude enough to the Marine
Corps for what they have given my son. I know this, I
have an 11 year old Devil pup still at home. When the
time comes for his turn if I had to I would take him
kicking and screaming all the way. Although I'm sure
that will not happen. The hero worship I see in my
younger sons eyes for his Marine brother tells me I
will have two Marines in the family, and I will
be one very proud mother.
"Cybil", Mother of a Marine writing to the myMarine Group

The raising of that flag on Suribachi
means a Marine Corps for the next
five hundred years.
James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy; 23 February 1945
(the flag-raising on Iwo Jima had been immortalized in a photograph
by Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal)

I have just returned from visiting the
Marines at the front, and there is not a
finer fighting organization in the world!
General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur; Korea, 21 September 1950

We have two companies of Marines running
rampant all over the northern half of this
island, and three Army regiments pinned
down in the southwestern corner, doing
nothing. What the hell is going on?
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs
of Staff during the assault on Grenada, 1983

The Marines I have seen around the world
have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,
the highest morale, and the lowest morals
of any group of animals I have ever seen.
Thank God for the United States
Marine Corps!
Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Some people spend an entire
lifetime wondering if they made a
difference in the world.
But, the Marines don't
have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Marines I see as two breeds,
Rottweilers or Dobermans, because
Marines come in two varieties,
big and mean, or skinny and mean.
They're aggressive on the attack and
tenacious on defense.
They've got really short hair
and they always
go for the throat.
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995

They told (us) to open up the Embassy,
or "we'll blow you away." And then
they looked up and saw the Marines
on the roof with these really big guns,
and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow,"
which means "Excuse me, I didn't
mean it, my mistake".
Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991

For over 221 years our Corps has
done two things for this great Nation.
We make Marines,
and we win battles.
Gen. Charles C. Krulak, USMC (CMC); 5 May 1997

Come on, you sons of *****es!
Do you want to live forever?
GySgt. Daniel J. "Dan" Daly, USMC
near Lucy-`le-Bocage as he led the 5th Marines' attack into
Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918

Gone to Florida to fight the Indians.
Will be back when the war is over.
Colonel Commandant Archibald Henderson, USMC
in a note pinned to his office door, 1836

Don't you forget that you're First Marines!
Not all the communists in Hell
can overrun you!
Col. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
rallying his First Marine Regiment near
Chosin Reservoir, Korea, December 1950

Marines die, that's what we're here for.
But the Marine Corps lives forever.
And that means YOU live forever.
the mythical GySgt. Hartman, USMC; portrayed by GySgt. R. Lee Ermey,
a Marine Corps Drill Instructor using his own choice of words
in Full Metal Jacket, 1987

You'll never get a Purple Heart
hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!
Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943

We are United States Marines, and for
two and a quarter centuries we have
defined the standards of courage,
esprit, and military prowess.
Gen. James L. Jones, USMC (CMC); 10 November 2000

I have only two men out of my company
and 20 out of some other company.
We need support, but it is almost suicide
to try to get it here as we are swept by
machine gun fire and a constant barrage
is on us. I have no one on my left
and only a few on my right. I will hold.
1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC
in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918

I love the Corps for those intangible
possessions that cannot be issued: pride,
honor, integrity, and being able to
carry on the traditions for generations
of warriors past.
Cpl. Jeff Sornij, USMC; in Navy Times, November 1994

A college professor, an avowed Atheist, was teaching his class.
He shocked several of his students when he flatly stated he was
going to prove there was no God. Addressing the ceiling he shouted:
"God, if you are real, then I want you to knock me off this platform.
I'll give you 15 minutes!"

The lecture room fell silent. You could have heard a pin fall.
Ten minutes went by. Again he taunted God, saying,
"Here I am, God. I'm still waiting."

His count-down got down to the last couple of minutes when
a Marine just released from active duty and newly registered in the
class - walked up to the professor, hit him full force in the face,
and sent him tumbling from his lofty platform. The professor was out cold!
At first, the students were shocked and babbled in confusion.
The young Marine took a seat in the front row and sat silent.
The class fell silent...waiting.

Eventually, the professor came to, shaken. He looked at the young
Marine in the front row. When the professor regained his senses
and could speak he asked: "What's the matter with you?
Why did you do that?"

"God was busy. He sent me."

http://www.seacoastmarines.com/My-Rifle.jpg

USMC_VA
04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- Attributed to General George Patton Jr

guja
05-04-2007, 11:25 AM
In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine. Rommel

Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders. Rommel

Gentlemen, you have fought like lions and been led by donkeys. (Said to captured British officers after Tobruk) Rommel

oregongrunt
05-08-2007, 02:39 AM
All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.
George Orwell

kawaiku
05-08-2007, 03:48 AM
"In their eyes as they pass is not hatred, not excitement, not despair, not the tonic of their victory - there is just the simple expression of being here as though they had been here doing this forever, and nothing else."-Ernie Pyle

My favorite quote of all time. He is describing the US infantry in North Africa during WWII. Here's the whole thing called "The God-Damned Infantry"- http://www.journalism.indiana.edu/news/erniepyle/goddamninfantry.html

oregongrunt
05-11-2007, 06:34 AM
"In their eyes as they pass is not hatred, not excitement, not despair, not the tonic of their victory - there is just the simple expression of being here as though they had been here doing this forever, and nothing else."-Ernie Pyle

My favorite quote of all time. He is describing the US infantry in North Africa during WWII. Here's the whole thing called "The God-Damned Infantry"- http://www.journalism.indiana.edu/news/erniepyle/goddamninfantry.html

Pyle's one of the few writers who understood that the infantry wins our wars. Today everyone is focused on the REMFs and all the fantastic things they do.

Nthan
05-31-2007, 05:07 AM
Anthony McAuliffe

"NUTS!" (1944 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1944))

His reply to the German demand for surrender of the surrounded US 101st Airborne Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_101st_Airborne_Division) at Bastogne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastogne) in the Battle of the Bulge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge).

oregongrunt
06-23-2007, 02:02 PM
This reminds me of another comment made by a Marine who was involved with a NRA youth shooting program. If I remember correctly, this Marine General was asked if he wasn't just equiping the next generation of killers by supplying children with rifles. He response was to point out to his female interviewer that she was equiped to be a ********** but that that didn't necessarily mean that she was one. The interview ended at that point.

PyroGoBooooom
06-24-2007, 01:54 AM
"Give me a group of West Pointers and I'll win the battle...give me a handful of Aggies and I'll win the war" --Gen. G.S. Patton referring to the tenacity of graduates of Texas A&M University.

Atlantic Friend
06-24-2007, 05:42 AM
"It takes a very brave man, not to be a hero in the Soviet Army"

I think it was Stalin, but it may have been one of the STAVKA generals.

Corrupt
06-26-2007, 07:40 AM
What was that quote (I believe it was from the Battle of River Plate or something) where the commander sent a last radio message from his crippled ship like, "No longer able to steer the ship, but will fight to the last shell", or something like that...

I've scoured the net, but can't find it - anyone recognise it? Anyone know the proper words of the quote?
Erm
British Paratroopers at Arnhem
Last message received(or sent and heard by Germans but didnt get through)
"Out of ammunition...God Save the King!"

eskrima
06-26-2007, 08:51 PM
''Be convinced that to be happy means to be free and that to be free means to be brave. Therefore do not take lightly the perils of war''.

Thucydides (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/t/thucydides393217.html)

Hilbert
06-26-2007, 09:25 PM
"Each side strives for justice, but both have a different idea of what that means; and so on the battlefield, all those who strike at the enemy, do so for their just cause."
____

"War is really all about the conflicting ideas of different people... it's a part of politics in which the whole picture cannot be read."

____

"On the battlefield, life is cheap. It's lost in an instant, and yet people still fight for their country, for justice..."
____

"What is it your fighting for? For yourself? For your country? For your orders? I'd recommend thinking that over very carefully."
____

"There is no meaning in having a war unless one can end it in victory."

Davidian
06-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Josef Stalin - russian "president"

It takes more courage to retreat than to attack in the Russian army

One man's death is a tragedy, 1.000.000s' is a statistic

Napoleon Bonaparte - french emperor

What horrible things men will do for a bit of coloured ribbon

Unknown to me

During peace sons bury their fathers, during war the fathers bury their sons

Ratko Mladic - Serbian general

Zamnom! - After me!

Shakespear

The victory is twice itself if the victor brings home full numbers

kawaiku
06-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Later on I borrowed a tin hat and went out among the fires. That was exciting too, but the thing I shall always remember above all the other things in my life is the monstrous loveliness of that one single view of London on a holiday night - London stabbed with great fires, shaken by explosions, its dark regions along the Thames sparkling with the pinpoints of white-hot bombs, all of it roofed over with a ceiling of pink that held bursting shells, balloons, flares and the grind of vicious engines. And in yourself the excitement and anticipation and wonder in your soul that this could be happening at all.
These things all went together to make the most hateful, most beautiful single scene I have ever known.

Ernie Pyle in London during the 1940's

Labud
06-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Leader of 2nd Serbian Uprising Milosh Obrenovic, when he raised it in Takovo village:

Here I am, here you are, here's the war to the Turks!

Davidian
06-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Loved by few, Hated by many, Feared by all - The Serbs

Labud
11-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Marshal Zivojin Misic, when took command of 1st Serbian Army in november 1914. in the town Mionica and saw the chaos during retreat of army:

Soldiers, my children! Stop! Stand up and show your face to the enemy!

wayneard3413
11-08-2007, 09:34 AM
America isnt at war. Soldiers and Marines are at war.... America is at the mall- Heard from one of the guys on another forum and just had to throw it in here

Ubar
11-08-2007, 09:52 AM
"What manner of men are these who wear the Maroon Beret?

They are firstly, all volunteers and are then toughened by hard physical training. As a result they have that infectious optimism and that offensive eagerness which comes from physical well being. They have jumped from the air and by doing so have conquered fear.

Their duty lies in the van of battle; they are proud of this honour and have never failed in any task. They have the highest standards in all things whether it is skills in battle or smartness in the execution of all peacetime duties.

They have shown themselves to be as tenacious and determined in defence as they are courageous in attack. They are in fact, men apart - every man an Emperor.

Of all the factors, which make for success in battle, the spirit of the warrior is the most decisive. That spirit will be found in full measure in the men who wear the Maroon Beret."
-Montgommery
(had to be put in here)

"The only selection you're going to finish is the box you get for Christmas you fat c*nt"
-A DS talking to someone on my cadre

Tareece
11-09-2007, 10:21 AM
Not during Gulf War 1 with the Abrams vs the T55's T60's and 72's...Maybe not even GW2 with the M1A1 and T80's...The SEP program extended the effective engagement range so that we could engage and kill with one shot and maintain a combat advantage.

Unknown tanker instructor, Ft. Knox Armor School: "When the enemy is within range, remember...so are you."

Netfleur
11-09-2007, 10:46 AM
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George Patton Jr

Sith
11-10-2007, 10:01 PM
"America must win this war. Therefore I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone."

Diary of Martin Treptow, Killed in Action, WWI.

kahn267
11-12-2007, 07:38 AM
"The mission is to take out as many terrorists as possible..... and to conquer territory - that is our mission this evening.
We, the commanders will be leading in every encounter..... The first encounter lots of aggression, lots of fire.....Dont be afraid
........ If needed, pull a knife and stab the terrorist"

Lt Colonel Avi Dahan Commander of Regiment 931 Nahal Division Israeli Defence Force ---- Prior to embarking on a successful mission in Lebanon War 2006

Sounds alot better in hebrew I must say

Indiana Jones
11-12-2007, 09:34 AM
During peace sons bury their fathers, during war the fathers bury their sons

Ratko Mladic - Serbian general

Although Mladic might have well quoted it during his entirely illustrious career, this proverb was coined by Herodotos of Halikarnassos.

mas-36
11-12-2007, 10:07 AM
"You'll live. Only the best get killed"

-Charles de Gaulle

kahn267
11-13-2007, 03:27 AM
"The object of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other bastard die for his."

George S Patton

I love this quote

Sloppy Joe2
11-13-2007, 04:05 AM
"war..... its fantastic"

Commander Arvid Harbinger, Hot Shots part Deux

boone
11-13-2007, 04:11 AM
"Before contact with the Enemy, Plans are everything.....after contact with the Enemy, Plans are nothing and should be ignored"

ADI82
11-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Dunno if this one is in here...
It was said by an officer in WW2. I believe in the Philipines...
Was something along these lines...

"Their in front of us... Behind us... on our left... and on our right.... They cant get away this time..."

Sloppy Joe2
11-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Dunno if this one is in here...
It was said by an officer in WW2. I believe in the Philipines...
Was something along these lines...

"Their in front of us... Behind us... on our left... and on our right.... They cant get away this time..."
i believe that was Gen Macarthur in the philipines.

ADI82
11-14-2007, 12:16 AM
I think so.

KEEPER0311
11-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Mind over Matter. If you don't mind it don't matter.

boone
11-14-2007, 12:31 AM
"My Son was killed in a motorcycle crash"
Gen. Chuck Horner responding to allegations that his very-much-alive Son was an A-10 pilot.

Nano
11-14-2007, 12:34 AM
"There is no security on this earth, there is only opportunity"

-General Douglas MacArthur

Vuk1389
11-14-2007, 01:13 AM
Lots of interesting quotes, keep posting guys. I really don't know why i always liked quotes :)

"With faith in God, For the King and Fatherland" - WWII Serbian Cetnik Resistance movement

"No, it can't be like this" - When General Draza Mihailovic with his few followers raised the Cetnik flag on Ravna Gora after the surrender of Yugoslav army

D-gin
11-14-2007, 06:05 PM
It is clear that war is not a mere act of policy but a true political instrument, a continuation of political activity by other means
Politics is the womb in which war develops - where its outlines already exist in their hidden rudimentary form, like the characteristics of living creatures in their embryos

Carl von Clausewitz

INAT
11-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Naturally, the common people don't want war ... but after all it is the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country. -Hermann Goering

Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so, whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose -- and you allow him to make war at pleasure. If today, he should choose to say he thinks it necessary to invade Canada, to prevent the British from invading us, how could you stop him? You may say to him, 'I see no probability of the British invading us' but he will say to you, 'Be silent; I see it, if you don't.'" - Abraham Lincoln

orionhawk
11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
The Commando's Prayer

Give me, my God, what you still have;
give me what no one asks for.
I do not ask for wealth, nor success,
nor even health.

People ask you so often, God, for all that,
that you cannot have any left.

Give me, my God, what you still have.
Give me what people refuse to accept from you.
I want insecurity and disquietude;
I want turmoil and brawl.

And if you should give them to me,
my God, once and for all,
let me be sure to have them always,
for I will not always
have the courage to ask for them.

Corporal Zirnheld, Special Air Service 1942

"I wish to have no connection with any ship which does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harm's way."
John Paul Jones

orionhawk
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
SNIPE'S LAMENT

Now each of us from time to time has gazed upon the sea
and watched the mighty warships pulling out to keep this country free.
And most of us have read a book or heard a lusty tale,
about these men who sail these ships through lightning, wind and hail.
But there's a place within each ship that legend's fail to teach.
It's down below the water-line and it takes a living toll
- - a hot metal living hell, that sailors call the "Hole."
It houses engines run with steam that makes the shafts go round.
A place of fire, noise, and heat that beats your spirits down.
Where boilers like a hellish heart, with blood of angry steam,
are molded gods without remorse, are nightmares in a dream.

Whose threat from the fires roar, is like a living doubt,
that at any moment with such scorn, might escape and crush you out.
Where turbines scream like tortured souls, alone and lost in Hell,
are ordered from above somewhere, they answer every bell.
The men who keep the fires lit and make the engines run,
are strangers to the light and rarely see the sun.
They have no time for man or God, no tolerance for fear,
their aspect pays no living thing a tribute of a tear.
For there's not much that men can do that these men haven't done,
beneath the decks, deep in the hole, to make the engines run.
And every hour of every day they keep the watch in Hell,
for if the fires ever fail their ship's a useless shell.

When ships converge to have a war upon an angry sea,
the men below just grimly smile at what their fate will be.
They're locked below like men fore-doomed, who hear no battle cry,
it's well assumed that if they're hit men below will die.
For every day's a war down there when gauges all read red,
twelve-hundred pounds of heated steam can kill you mighty dead.

So if you ever write their songs or try to tell their tale,
the very words would make you hear a fired furnace's wail.
And people as a general rule don't hear of these men of steel,
so little heard about this place that sailors call the "Hole."
But I can sing about this place and try to make you see,
the hardened life of the men down there, 'cause one of them is me.
I've seen these sweat-soaked heroes fight in superheated air,
to keep their ship alive and right, though no one knows they're there.

And thus they'll fight for ages on till warships sail no more,
amid the boiler's mighty heat and the turbine's hellish roar.
So when you see a ship pull out to meet a war-like foe,
remember faintly if you can, "The Men Who Sail Below."

-Anonymous

orionhawk
11-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Maj. Douglas A. Zembiec, USMC (RIP)

Zembeic told Los Angeles Time reporter Tony Perry that battling insurgents was “the greatest day of my life. I never felt so alive, so exhilarated, so purposeful. There is nothing equal to combat, and there is no greater honor than to lead men into combat. Once you’ve dealt with life and death like that, it gives you a whole new perspective.”

“My Marines have fought like lions and will continue to do so,” he said following the battle. “Ten million insurgents won’t even begin to fill the boots of one of my men.”

and, the one that made me think of him:

As Maj. Joseph Clearfield, the battalion's operations officer, said: "He goes out every day and creates menacing dilemmas for the enemy." :)

Laconian
11-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Not a quote per se, but one of my favorites:

There is a story that when Philip of Macedon threatened an invasion of Sparta, he said: "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta to the ground." The Spartans' only reply was "If".

Buckeye67
11-15-2007, 01:19 AM
Qui omnes insidias timet, in nullas incidit
He who fears every ambush, falls into none
-Publilius Syrus

Nano
11-15-2007, 01:38 AM
"The supreme excellence is to subdue the armies of your enemies without even having to fight them."
- Sun Tzu

Gluten
11-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Kill one and you are a murderer, kill millions and you are a conqueror, kill every body and you are god

- Adolf Hitler

Obsidianhex
11-15-2007, 05:18 PM
From Shakespeare's "Henry V"

"...From this day to the ending of the world, But we in it shall be remember'd; We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition: And gentlemen in England now a-bed Shall think themselves accursed they were not here, And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day"

This speech just always gets me :)

MacGregor
11-16-2007, 08:21 AM
seen on a t-shirt

"Marines don't die, they just go to hell and regroup"

Soldat Inconnu
11-16-2007, 03:30 PM
seen on a t-shirt

"Marines don't die, they just go to hell and regroup"

Thats original:
Mercenaries Never Die They Just Go To Hell To Regroup p-)

Belial
11-16-2007, 03:55 PM
"Vive la mort(death), vive la guerre(war), vive le sacré mercenaire/légionnaire !"

Sloppy Joe2
11-16-2007, 05:03 PM
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."

Winston Churchill

RICHICOQUI
11-16-2007, 06:39 PM
No bastard ever won a war dying for his country. he won it by making the other poor bastard die for his country! - gen. george s. patton

titget
11-16-2007, 08:12 PM
"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." - General George S. Patton, Jr

digrar
11-16-2007, 08:30 PM
"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****. Playing cricket is not."

Australian cricketing great and WW2 fighter pilot, Keith Miller.

California Joe
11-16-2007, 08:34 PM
I love that one Dig.

Maybe we can get 6 other Aussies to post the exact same quote. Then the Patton quotes would have some competition....:)

digrar
11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Old Keith had a way with words and women and fighter planes and footballs and cricket balls and cricket bats. You don't come across many blokes like him anymore.

Gluten
11-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Not a quote per se, but one of my favorites:

There is a story that when Philip of Macedon threatened an invasion of Sparta, he said: "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta to the ground." The Spartans' only reply was "If".

thats a good one:D

RICHICOQUI
11-16-2007, 11:29 PM
No man is entitled to the blessing of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation- general douglas macArthur

Opening Batsman
11-16-2007, 11:33 PM
"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your ****. Playing cricket is not."
-Keith Miller

California Joe
11-16-2007, 11:38 PM
Wise ****...

digrar
11-16-2007, 11:43 PM
6 other Aussies, not 1 other Auzzzie. :cantbeli:

Belial
11-17-2007, 09:18 AM
An empire founded by war has to maintain itself by war.

Montesquieu

God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best.

Voltaire

If the blood of France and of Germany flows again, as it did twenty-five years ago, in a longer and even more murderous war, each of the two peoples will fight with confidence in its own victory, but the most certain victors will be the forces of destruction and barbarism.

Édouard Daladier, French Premier (1939)

Sentinel02
11-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I've got a few more Aussie ones here:

"Surrender? Surrender be ****ed!"

---The response given by Maj. Alexander Spence, Commander of the Australian 2/2 Independent Company during the battle of Timor in 1942 when he received a demand to surrender from the Japanese forces commander. He was outnumbered 12 to 1.

"Even if I wished to surrender to you - and I don't - I am commanding Australians who would cut my throat if I accepted your terms."

---This was the reply of Colonel C. Hore, the Imperial commander at Elands River Post, to the request of the Boer Gen. del la Rey to surrender the post. Gen. del la Rey had, under a flag of truce, advised the garrison at Elands River Post that the whole area surrounding their position was under Boer control.

"I cannot understand you Australians. In Poland, France, and Belgium, once the tanks got through the soldiers took it for granted that they were beaten. But you are like demons. Thetanks break through and your infantry still keep fighting."

---A captured German veteran during the siege of Tobruk

“Shortly afterwards a batch of some fifty or sixty Australian prisoners were marched off close behind us - immensely big and powerful men, who without question represented an elite formation of the British Empire, a fact that was also evident in battle.

Enemy resistance was as stubborn as ever and violent actions were being fought at many points.”

---Gen. Erwin Rommel

Hyde
11-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Although Mladic might have well quoted it during his entirely illustrious career, this proverb was coined by Herodotos of Halikarnassos.

you confused something, the name of the original sayer of the quote is above, and not under it :)

Shellshock1918
11-18-2007, 08:04 PM

That quote is actually false.

ADI82
11-19-2007, 05:33 AM
I dont see this one in here.

"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
One more Marine reporting Sir
I've served my time in Hell..."

bean_mr
11-24-2007, 01:26 AM
A good soldier is not measured by how much suffering he can produce, but by how much he can endure.
-Me

Trenchcoat
11-24-2007, 01:28 AM
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. "

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."

"Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."

stoddy9311
11-26-2007, 05:35 PM
the death of one man is a tragedy.

the death of a million is a statistic

Josef Stalin

Asheren
11-26-2007, 06:36 PM
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight- Psalm 144:1
Warran Officers, too dumb to be CO to lazy to be NCO. -my Sgt
Peoples are complaining... that means you are doing your job well. -Cap about our guard duty.
I won't punish you for doing something you shoudn't do, i will punish you for geting caught.-one of our NCOs
Fighting soliders don't have to look good. -Capt response to complains about our wornout uniforms.

LoveCyprus
12-04-2007, 02:23 PM
"there is no line defending, there is superficies defending. and this superficie is whole homeland." M. Kemal Ataturk

GiladS
12-07-2007, 06:11 PM
"We have always said that in our war with the Arabs we had a secret weapon - no alternative."
Golda Meir

"We can forgive you for killing our sons. But we will never forgive you for making us kill yours."
Golda Meir, to Anwar Saddat just before the peace talks.

Pars
12-07-2007, 07:38 PM
"A military strong Iran would have established and kept peace in the region."

- Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi

"We do not worship Iran, we worship Allah. For patriotism is another name for paganism. I say let this land [Iran] burn. I say let this land go up in smoke, provided Islam emerges triumphant in the rest of the world."

- Ruhollah Khomeini

SupportTheTroops_5
12-07-2007, 08:40 PM
"As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I have no fear because I'm the meanest motherf***er in the whole valley"
-General Patton

"If you grab them by their balls, their hearts and minds will follow."
-the great John Wayne

"yippee kayee motherf***er!"
-John McClane(Bruce Willis)

BLUE THOR
12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
while pack marching "lean into the hill, men, and let the hill do the work for you..." :roll:

ShotOver
12-07-2007, 08:50 PM
while pack marching "lean into the hill, men, and let the hill do the work for you..." :roll:

Haha, gotta love it. Half way through a CFA, lugging the gun - have a secco go "Men, fat chicks rock. Always remember that."

cold_warrior
12-08-2007, 04:49 PM
From the film Zulu: Private Cole: Why does it have to be us? Why us? Colour Sgt. Bourne: Because we're here, lad. No one else. Just us.

PUG
12-08-2007, 04:53 PM
"If it aint rainin, it aint trainin"

wotsnext
12-08-2007, 05:05 PM
If we cannot say here alive....Then we shall stay here dead, There will be no retreat from el Alamein.
Gen Bernard Montgomery

Spets06
12-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Haha, gotta love it. Half way through a CFA, lugging the gun - have a secco go "Men, fat chicks rock. Always remember that."

"Why do fat chicks give good head? because they have to!"

"I love fat chicks"

"fat chicks rock"

On various cubicals at a Luxury resort I recently stayed at.

Signaleer
12-26-2007, 08:59 AM
"You have to remain rigid yet flexible"

- U.S. Army PSYOP Colonel in Iraq, 2007

Asheren
12-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Some might laugh at you for not dodging the army but know one thing. During the war you will be fighting the enemy on the front line they will be women and childrens in the bunker. -One of NCOs in my unit

Opening Batsman
12-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Here is a couple of quotes that are in Fromelles, a book by Patrick Lindsay about that failure of a WW1 battle.

Private Jimmy Downing, 57th Battalion AIF:

"Stammering scores of German machine-guns spluttered violently, drowning the noise of the cannonade. The air was thick with bullets, swishing in a flat, criss-crossed lattice of death... Hundreds were mown down in the flicker of an eyelid, like great rows of teeth knocked from a comb... Men were cut in two by streams of bullets [that] swept like whirling knives... It was the Charge of the Light Brigade once more, but more terrible, more hopeless - magnificent, but not war - a valley of death filled by somebody's blunder."

Lieutenant Hugh Knyvett:

"Nothing could exceed the bravery of those boys. The first wave went down like 'wheat before the reaper'. When the time came for the second wave to go over there was not a man standing of the first wave, yet not a lad faltered. Each glanced at his watch and on the arranged tick of the clock leaped over. In many cases they did not get any farther than the first wave. The last wave, although they knew each had to do the work of three, were in their places and started on their forlorn hope at the appointed moment."

Kinda reminds me of The Nek (featured in Gallipoli) but on a larger scale.

briantk
12-30-2007, 04:40 AM
During the Battle of Leyte Gulf, Kurita's fleet engaged Taffy 3, flotilla of at least 8 destroyer escorts and 4 escort carriers guarding northern approach to landing force in Leyte.
Despite heavy mauling by Kurita's cruisers and battleships, Taffy 3's tenacity force the IJN to withdraw.
After watching the retreating IJN, signalman for Admiral Sprague, commander of Taffy 3, exclaim, "Goddammit, they're getting away!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_off_Samar

T3ngu
12-30-2007, 04:57 AM
I've got a few more Aussie ones here:

"Surrender? Surrender be ****ed!"

---The response given by Maj. Alexander Spence, Commander of the Australian 2/2 Independent Company during the battle of Timor in 1942 when he received a demand to surrender from the Japanese forces commander. He was outnumbered 12 to 1.

Way to go sparrow force.

General Thomas Blamey

After Macarthur learned of Blamy's the letter

To Eichelberger

Not my favorite chain of events there at Gona/Buna/Sananda.

One of my favourite (probably here in the 200 odd quotes already). Only had a quick look.

'I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me.'
- General George S. Patton

ibstolidude
01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
"You have to remain rigid yet flexible"

- U.S. Army PSYOP Colonel in Iraq, 2007

you sure he didn't say "maintain a state of rigid flexibility"

Andreas
01-04-2008, 06:30 PM
"Only your imagination sets limits on how to destroy the enemy"
Lt. Naustvik

My platoon comander, after telling us that we might use avalanches to destroy our potential enemys..

Rock solid guy by the way..

Cheers
Andreas

Breakfast in Vegas
01-04-2008, 06:36 PM
"Drop the candy and step away from the little boy!"
- Sgt Adamski, 4th PSYOP Group...
...while demonstrating the loudspeaker in front of assembled brass.

kahn267
05-25-2008, 08:22 AM
"We can forgive you for killing our sons. We can never forgive you for making ours kill yours"

- Golda Meir (Israel's 4th Prime Minister) to Anwar Sadat (Egyptian President) just before peace talks