PDA

View Full Version : Real Story behind May 1998 Riot in Indonesia

Silent_Hunter
03-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Account of Rape Victim in riots in Indonesia

"My name is Vivian, and I am 18 years old. I have a little sister and brother. As a family we live in what is supposed to be a "secure" apartment.
At 9.15 am, May 14th, 1998 a huge crowd had gathered around our apartment. They screamed, "Let's butcher the Chinese!", "Let's eat pigs!", "Let's have a party!" We live of the 7th floor and we got a call from a family on the 3rd floor saying that the crowd had reached the 2nd floor. They even chased some occupants upstairs. We were all very frightened. In our fright we prayed and left everything in God's hands.
Afterward we left our room and went upstairs to the top floor, as it was impossible to go downstairs and escape. We got to the 15th floor and stayed with some friends. Not long afterwards we were surprised because some of the crowd coming out of the elevators right before we entered the room. We hurried into the room and locked the door tightly. At that time we heard them knock at the other rooms loudly and there were some screams from women and girls. Our room was filled with fear.

We realized that they would come to us. So we spread throughout the room hiding in the corners. We could hear girls of 10 to 12 years old screaming, "Mommy, ..mommy...mom...mom...it hurts" That time I didn't know that these little girls were being raped. After about half an hour the noise diminished and we had some guts to go out and check. It was indescribable. A lot, some of them young girls, were lying on the floor. "Oh my God, what has happened?" Seeing all of this we screamed and my little sister Fenny, screamed hysterically and hugged her father.
Uncle Dodi kept trying to stop them by offering money. His efforts were fruitless. And in the end 5 people raped Fenny. Before beginning with the raping they always said "Allahu Akbar" (an Islamic phrase in Arabic meaning "God is great". They were ferocious and brutal.
Not long afterward, around 9 men came to the room and dragged me. I also saw them forcing and dragging my Aunt Vera. But at that time I passed out and everything went blank. I became conscious at around 5 or 6 PM. My head hurted and I realized I had no clothing on my body. I cried and realized my family was still there. My father was hugging my mother and little bother Doni. I also saw uncle Dodi lying on the floor and Aunt Vera was crying over his body. I felt so weak and fainted again.
The next day I was in the Pluit hospital. My father and mother were beside me. With all the pains on my body I asked, "Mom, why Fenny. Mom?" I felt a stinging pain as I said these words. My cheeks were swollen. My mother cried again and couldn't speak any words, while my father, holding back his tears, managed to smile at me. After 4 days in treatment, my condition has improved. With a sad look, my father told me then what had happened. After I fainted 7 people raped me. At that time my father still couldn't see well after being hit with a piece of wood. They raped me repeatedly. Then my father said "Vivian, Fenny is gone..."
I was confused and cried out, "Why Dad?" My father couldn't answer. He told me to rest and went out of the room. I cried over and over again, feeling that my life had no meaning any more. A week ago, after I was released from the hospital I was told everything that had happened.
When Fenny was raped she kept on fighting and so she was repeatedly slapped by her rapists. The last time she fought Fenny spitted on one of them. Offended, the man grabbed a knife and stabbed Fenny's stomach over and over again. Finally she died with blood over her whole body.
My father told me that uncle Dodi had the same fate watched by aunt Vera who was also raped. "God...why should all of this happen? Where are you God? Are you still alive?" My aunt Vera now stays with her parents. She is in shock. Her face is blank and refuses to eat. Almost every hour my mother and I cry over all these happenings. I can never forget.

Resurrection
03-16-2006, 12:48 AM
Remove that rape photo ASAP.

Silent_Hunter
03-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Do you have information about International Reaction to Indonesia for Rape of Jakarta in May 1998 Riots

Silent_Hunter
03-17-2006, 01:31 AM
The following are some quotes from major news agencies, like BBC, CNN, and *******. Accounts reported by New York Times are following the quotes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"During the riot in May in Indonesia, 1188 people were killed or raped to death. 4083 shops were burned down to earth. 1020 houses were burned or destroyed. More than 100 women in age from 10 to 55 were raped."

-- Indonesia National Human Rights Commission
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 6

"Human rights and women's aid groups have begun to document what they say appears to have been an organized campaign of assaults, gang rapes and killings of ethnic Chinese women during three days of rioting in Jakarta last month."

"The aid workers say they have talked with dozens of victims or relatives of victims, and they estimated on Tuesday that more than 100 women and girls may have been attacked and raped in Jakarta alone as their neighborhoods were burning between May 13 and 15. There were reports of similar attacks during riots in other cities that preceded the fall of President Suharto on May 21."

"The reports involve girls and women ranging in age from 10 to 55."

"Some of the rapers said, 'You must be raped because you are Chinese and NON-MUSLIM, Now I have to give you a lesson. You are a woman and you are beautiful and you are part of the Chines'. Then they chose the beautiful women among the Chinese and raped them inside the bus."

"Albert Hasibuan, a member of the National Commission on Human Rights, said human rights workers had talked with a participant in the riots who said he had been recruited, briefed, paid and transported by unidentified men, who provided him and others with stones and gasoline bombs. The commission is the official government human-rights monitoring agency."

-- By Seth Mydans, New York Times

June 23

"Reports are beginning to emerge that hundreds of women and girls of Chinese descent were raped during the riots that swept over Indonesia last month."

"A number of victims have said that the men who raped them had crew cuts and tattoos and that they seemed to be drugged, or drunk."

"... the rioters would attack houses, rape the younger women, burn the house, and then move on to the next house."

"Girls as young as 11 were targeted, and were often raped in front of their families by as many as 10 men."

"... the Chinese women had become victims of what looked like a campaign of mass rape."

"... many of the ethnic Chinese are Christian, and it was at church that they first overcame their shame and spoke about what happened."

"A doctor at the hospital said that she knew of at least 400 cases of rape."

"In one incident 68 Chinese women and girls were raped by groups of as many as 10 men..."

-- BBC

"Activist groups estimate more than 100 rapes took place, many in a frighteningly systematic fashion, targeting women in the ethnic Chinese minority."

"The gang rapes took on a disturbingly similar pattern throughout Jakarta on May 14 as rioters took control of most of the city of 10 million in the worst violence in the capital in decades."

"The rioters would attack houses, rape the younger women, burn the house, and move on to the next house, the activists said."

"one woman killed herself by drinking insecticide after she was raped in front of her husband and children in the Chinatown district of North Jakarta."

--JAKARTA, *******

June 28

"Human rights groups...are documenting what they believe was an organized campaign of racially motivated assaults, gang-rapes and killings of ethnic Chinese during the riots."

"it was the homes and businesses of the ethnic Chinese that were targeted during the riots."

"Tan Guan Tjai told CNN he lost his entire family to the violence. His wife and two daughters were burned alive as they hid from the angry mob, Tan said."

--JAKARTA, CNN

June 29

"Indonesia's military chief said ... there was no proof ethnic Chinese women were raped in riots..."

"Several womens' groups and non-governmental organisations have said more than 100 women were raped during the riots that ravaged Jakarta on May 13 and 14."

"To date, the police have not arrested a single person in connection with the alleged rapes."

--JAKARTA, *******, By Amy Chew

July 9

"..there had been systematic rapes during the May 12-14 riots and up until a week ago in Jakarta and other cities."

"The brutal exploitations were demonstrated in the middle of a crowd of looting masses and the majority who were targeted were clearly women and female children of ethnic Chinese descent," Komnas Ham member Saparinah Sadli said in a statement.

"Among the saddest cases reported were the acts of rape which were committed in front of the family," she said.

"...more than a 100 women were raped during the Jakarta riots, which claimed around 2,000 lives..."

--JAKARTA, *******

July 11

"During the riots, ... , mobs attacked Chinese homes and businesses..."

"Some victims testified that they had been raped in front of their parents."

"A number had been hospitalized, many had been traumatized, and at least one later committed suicide."

"human rights groups have said they documented some 100 cases of rape during the unrest."

"the National Human Rights Commission described the pattern of rapes as 'systematic'."

--JAKARTA, Associated Press

July 14

"...20 people died after being raped during mid-May riots in the capital Jakarta and other cities."

"Sandyawan Sumardi, secretary of the Volunteers of Humanity, told ******* he had spoken personally to 12 rape victims and dozens of eyewitnesses."

"'Our organisation has received 162 reports of rape,' he said in an interview."

"Seventeen people died after being raped during riots on May 13-14, and three died later..."

"Nine of the victims were abandoned in burning buildings after being raped... Two committed suicide, some died on the spot and others in hospital..."

"Data compiled for the report shows that the rapes followed a set pattern, suggesting they were organised and premeditated..."

"most of the victims were ethnic Chinese, and that assailants often arrived in trucks with a few of the young men apparently taking charge."

"Some in the group looted shops while others assaulted women and in some cases girls as young as nine, often forcing relatives to watch."

"...according to victims and witnesses, the physical traits of the assailants resembled those of security forces."

"About 1,200 people died during riots..., targeting primarily ethnic Chinese..."

--JAKARTA, *******

"Chinese Rape Victims Murdered or Left For Dead During May Riots"

"An Indonesian human rights group has alleged that 20 women died after they were raped, along with more than 100 others during recent riots."

"... 20 rape victims were murdered by their assailants, left to die in burning buildings or later died of wounds inflicted when they were attacked."

"... a 9-year-old girl who was raped by a gang that mutilated her *******s. She died several days later in a Singapore hospital."

"East Asia Today presenter, Christopher Gunness, asked Carlina Luksona, of Volunteer for Humanity, what the evidence was:

"... this happened very systematically and there's a specific pattern in different areas.

"... the riots always started with the arrival of two buses or two trucks, and then they loaded the people. These people asked the local people to loot the stores or the houses of the Chinese. After the people went inside their stores and looted their things, these people went out and burnt the buildings or the houses.

"... The rape victims were all Chinese.

"... two girls who were sisters, one of them twelve years old and the other fourteen, were being raped, each of them by five people in front of their sisters. After they raped these girls, they pushed them into a fire."

-- BBC

"Volunteers for Humanity said that it had received more than 160 reports of rapes from the start of the rioting in May until early this month."

-- BBC

July 15

"The national human rights commission has said about 1,200 people were killed in the riots which rocked Jakarta on May 13-14. Hundreds of buildings and thousands of vehicles were set on fire and scores of women, mostly from the ethnic Chinese minority, were raped."

"Human rights groups have said the violence was organised and systematic and that they fear any government investigation will be flawed. The national human rights commission last week demanded an independent investigation."

Silent_Hunter
03-17-2006, 01:32 AM
-JAKARTA, *******

July 16

"The Chinese,...,have been traditional targets for attack during times of hardship."

"Chinese property was looted and burned in Jakarta and other cities..."

"...human rights groups say nearly 170 Chinese women were systematically targeted for rape, of whom about 20 subsequently died."

--JAKARTA, *******

July 20

"Angry mobs in Indonesia's East Java have attacked shops and homes owned by Moslems they accuse of supporting ethnic Chinese traders..."

"...more ethnic Chinese were reported fleeing amid fears of further violence..."

"about 200 people drove through the Mumbulsari, ... , threatening Moslem leaders who had expressed concern over recent attacks on Chinese."

"...the crowd set three shops belonging to Moslems on fire..."

"One Moslem preacher in the district said mobs of people from outside the district attacked his house late on Sunday, accusing him of supporting Chinese rather than Moslems."

-- SURABAYA, *******

July 22

"Several women's groups and non-governmental organisations have said more than 160 women were raped during riots in Jakarta and other centres in the middle of May which helped force Suharto to resign as president on May 21."

"Human rights groups have said the violence was organised and systematic, targeted specifically at women of ethnic Chinese origin."

"President B.J. Habibie said on Wednesday Indonesia would establish an independent commission on violence against women to investigate rape cases during riots in May and prevent a recurrence."

"The groups have expressed fears that any government investigations would be flawed and the official National Human Rights Commission has demanded an independent investigation."

-- JAKARTA, *******
The following accounts were compiled by Seth Mydans of New York Times:

1. A student was abducted at a bus stop, taken to a swamp near the airport and raped by four men in a car. There was a green uniform in the car and she asked her abductors if they were police officers. "If you are police, you have to save me," she told them, according to Ms. Ita. One of them answered: "No, I have to give you a lesson. You are a woman and you are beautiful and you are part of the Chinese."

2. In the midst of the riot, a group of men stopped a city bus and forced out all the non-Chinese women. "Then they chose the beautiful women among the Chinese and raped them inside the bus," Sandiyawan said. "The victims of that incident are really depressive. They are in the hospital with their families. They are trying to hide themselves from the public."

3. A 10-year-old girl returning from school discovered that the shop-house where her family lived and worked had been burned. As she went in search of her parents, she was seized by two men and raped in front of her neighbors.

4. One woman, a bank officer, told a local reporter that she was seized from the back of a motorcycle in the middle of the riot and thrown to the ground by a group of men. "She told me she was so hysterical and she was so panicked that she does not remember what happened," the reporter said. "But she showed me a lot of bruises on her body, especially on her legs."

5. In an incident of public humiliation, a group of about 15 men entered a bank where 10 ethnic Chinese employees were taking refuge from the riot. The men locked the door, made the women take off their clothes and ordered them to dance. In a similar incident during a riot in the city of Medan on May 4, 20 female students at a teacher training college were stopped by police officers when they tried to flee the violence on their campus. The officers forced them to take off their clothes and perform calisthenics. In both cases, the women reported that they were *****ed but not raped. In another incident of harassment during the riot in Jakarta, a number of ethnic Chinese women were reportedly *****ped and made to swim in a pond.

6. Ms. Ita told of an ethnic Chinese woman who hid in her house with her two younger sisters as the rioters approached. About 10 men came into the house and found the sisters on the third floor. They made the two younger women take off their clothes and told the older sister to stand in a corner, "because you are too old for us."

Meanwhile, arsonists entered the lower floors and set fire to the building. "After they had raped her two sisters, the two men said to her, 'We are finished and we are satisfied and because you are too old and ugly we weren't interested in you.' So they took her two sisters and pushed them to the ground floor where there was already fire, and they were killed.

Silent_Hunter
03-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Do you have information about Rape of Jakarta during May 1998 Riots in Indonesia