PDA

View Full Version : Israeli Combat uniform

lightfire
03-23-2006, 05:09 PM
I always wanted to know..
Why do the IDF still uses the old pattern of a combat uniform? It looks like american or canadian in fifties-seventies'. Israel has a hell of a military-experienced soldiers,great armour,aircraft,modern technologies even the God d*mn nuclear weapon,but they still use this old pattern. Why? There's a lot of desert or urban areas,where this olive green patern looks a bit..hmmm..you knowp-) Are there some reasons related with culture,traditions...money(kidding,right?..they can afford tanks,aircraft etc. but have no money for a uniform???)
thanks.

ed316
03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Money . it's also called Military aid/grant

East Scout II
03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
If its not broke dont fix it..

S'13
03-23-2006, 05:37 PM
I always wanted to know..
Why do the IDF still uses the old pattern of a combat uniform? It looks like american or canadian in fifties-seventies'. Israel has a hell of a military-experienced soldiers,great armour,aircraft,modern technologies even the God d*mn nuclear weapon,but they still use this old pattern. Why? There's a lot of desert or urban areas,where this olive green patern looks a bit..hmmm..you knowp-) Are there some reasons related with culture,traditions...money(kidding,right?..they can afford tanks,aircraft etc. but have no money for a uniform???)
thanks.

As Israel is a country with different environments, it chose the olive colour as the standard IDF uniform.

As for desert areas... believe me, after wallowing a bit in the sand with these uniforms, you have no problem becoming a part of the desert landscape.

leatherneck
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm a huge fan of Olive Drab/ Brownish Green. I think it works really well, especially if you wear a bit of natural foliage on a helmet or hat. I think there's recent pics in the "photos" section of the Austrian army. They have all OD too, and seems to work quite well.

East Scout II
03-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Austrian BDUs are brown not a real OD...

Switek
03-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Israeli army leaders are smart. They spend money for things which are more reliable. Cammo uniforms plays less protective role in combat than ususaly seem to many people. Only when you prepare ambush camo can meet the reqiurements. When there is shooting you can be easily detected by enemy by your fire, sound, movinig figure. So you can show only camo mouse on helmets on IDF soldiers. What intersting eyes of soldiers (and all our "optical" sense) very quickly adopts and starting recocognize enemy soldiers much more quickly when they know what pattern of camo they should expect.

So. for ordinary sodiers it's not necessary to wear camo uinforms. The same philpospohy represent Austrian Army, where are olive green and sandy beige uniforms, SOF needs camo and is used by special units in those countries - example by snipers

Devil68
03-23-2006, 06:06 PM
The idf uniform is very comfy, works great in hot climates.. Some special units also use the US 3color desert bdu in special needs... there are some pics on isayeret.com about that.

Zeev
03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
dont forget that many palestinan terrorist factions use all kind of various BDU's, so for the israeli soldiers which operate on the field,the traditional olive green is easy to recognize, that can avoid easilly some mistakes that could had terrible consequences....

Guy Cramer
03-24-2006, 12:45 AM
The Israeli Special Forces use fairly unique photo quality - regional specific camouflage.

The Israeli military is considering a digital camouflage for regular forces, we have a pattern that they are considering. The primary reason; it is easy for an adversary to imitate an IDF soldier with their current uniform.

Sincerely,
Guy Cramer

ktk_ace
03-24-2006, 05:23 AM
If its not broke dont fix it..

damn right

and the Austrian color is RAL 7013 < google

if you wiki it , theres more benefits to it than NATO camo.

like....they stand out from NATO troops when doing peacekeeping missions
(NATO troops are favorite targets of insurgents)
And they HAVE a reputation at peacekeeping missions ^^

The Israeli Special Forces use fairly unique photo quality - regional specific camouflage.

The Israeli military is considering a digital camouflage for regular forces, we have a pattern that they are considering. The primary reason; it is easy for an adversary to imitate an IDF soldier with their current uniform.

Sincerely,
Guy Cramer

Nice to see them getting the digi-camo upgrade...i wonder when will we get ours?(SG and TW)

Captain_Smollet
03-24-2006, 06:53 AM
:|

The Israeli military is considering a digital camouflage for regular forces, we have a pattern that they are considering.

Sincerely,
Guy Cramer

???

You can be more specific ?

Guy Cramer
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
:|

???

You can be more specific ?

Sorry, that is all I am allowed to say.

Guy

Captain_Smollet
03-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Ok, exactly what I though...

Weird that noone on force is aware of that change or development.

Especially when new type of OD BDU is just fielded.

We will live and see

Guy Cramer
03-24-2006, 05:16 PM
These things can sit on a shelf for years before they get the green light for trials. Ask your brass about the Gideon MECAM Pattern, Israel has held the evaluation license for this pattern since 2004.

vajt
03-24-2006, 05:40 PM
Guy,

Can't wait to see your upcoming SOPAT pattern. Will this be a derivative of the SPEC4CE pattern or something new entirely?

-----JT-----

lightfire
03-24-2006, 06:37 PM
ah,you mean this one?p-) :
http://www.hyperstealth.com/spec4ce/RS-Spec4ce-Woodland-6-100-270deg-95.jpg

vajt
03-24-2006, 08:05 PM
That's actually the SPEC4CE pattern. Supposedly a new pattern called SOPAT will be revealed in May.

-----JT-----

TallGuy
03-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Ok, exactly what I though...

Weird that noone on force is aware of that change or development.

Especially when new type of OD BDU is just fielded.

You have any pics of the this new BDU?

Guy Cramer
03-25-2006, 01:20 AM
I am not allowed to discuss SOPAT until a specific date in May. The simulation someone posted above is not SOPAT but Spec4ce which is in production.

The Israeli Gideon MECAM pattern is under wraps until they drop the evaluation license or move ahead to large trials.

Sincerely,
Guy

david3558
03-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Hey Guy! Did'nt know you were around these forums, wanted to tell you that your patterns are great! Keep up the good work!

David

Captain_Smollet
03-25-2006, 11:20 AM
You have any pics of the this new BDU?

Yep, here is good one. All buttons from shirt/trousers and pockets are hidden.

Also some reinforcements are made on the back of the shirt and knees to prevent stretching.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2641/clipboard011cz.jpg

I'll try to find a specific one.

Guy Cramer
03-25-2006, 12:23 PM
Canada just did the same thing with their newest version of the CADPAT unifoms - concealed all the buttons.

Captain_Smollet
03-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Yes, but they probably won't do any changes with uniform they are going to replace ???

Kaplanr
03-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Now we just need to get rid of the ***** colored cumtot (berets).

Golani68
03-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Yes Israels new BDU I have one as capt smollet says nice to wear extra materiel on elbows and knees all bottons are hidden and no opening at the cuff like ACU but button on the ends not velcro

on the Gideon MECAM Pattern I am guess its not for a uniform but for a camo suit

Switek
03-26-2006, 04:51 PM
May be this would come us closer to solution:

rofl rofl rofl

Javehn
03-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Yep, here is good one. All buttons from shirt/trousers and pockets are hidden.

Also some reinforcements are made on the back of the shirt and knees to prevent stretching.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/2641/clipboard011cz.jpg

I'll try to find a specific one.

We were ones of the first groop to test those new uniforms several years ago . Man , do those uniforms look (and sit on you) like god awfull horrible piece of shyt . If there is anything that IDF missing , is the taste for good uniforms .

Captain_Smollet
03-26-2006, 05:02 PM
Actually those i used, were okey. Probably after your test some changes were made :)

Javehn
03-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Actually those i used, were okey. Probably after your test some changes were made :)

Did you had those crappy buttons to hold the sleeves up , when you rolled them ?

Anyway , they still look like shyt . Many countries in the world use one color uniforms , and all of them look better then the rags IDF use .

Captain_Smollet
03-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Hey , you are talking about Meleh A Midbar BDU sets ??? With extra pockets on the shoulders???

Yep ,the textile production in Israel is not "high tech" one.

But , it's our "kosher" BDU :)

Captain_Smollet
03-26-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www1.idf.il/SIP_STORAGE/DOVER/files/1/51171.jpg

Captain_Smollet
03-26-2006, 05:40 PM
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9382/983344204lt.jpg

trousers new type

Sayeret
03-27-2006, 02:12 PM
I've heard different reasons but when I went to Israel last summer and talked to a Sergeant, he told me that they wear the olive drab since it helps them blend in with olive bushes, which is common in Israel. Another soldier told me they wear it because they don't want to get mixed up with the terrorists who often wear camoflague.

Kaplanr
03-28-2006, 09:10 AM
I've heard different reasons but when I went to Israel last summer and talked to a Sergeant, he told me that they wear the olive drab since it helps them blend in with olive bushes, which is common in Israel. Another soldier told me they wear it because they don't want to get mixed up with the terrorists who often wear camoflague.

Cute, but not very accurate. First of all, olives grow on trees, though the young ones could be mistaken for bushes. Second they grow where it rains only during the winter, so in the spring and summer (Autumn in Israel lasts 20 minutes) the olive leaves take on whatever color the prevailing dust happens to be.

Fortunately terrorists and other actors don't all have access to a central supply depot, so their uniforms aren't . . . uniform. Some have tiger *****e, some where winter BDUs (blue-white-grey), others wear stolen or commercially bought IDF uniform, and others wear whatever happens to be in their bedroom dresser.

I don't think the color of the IDF uniform is a problem (except on the Hermon in Winter,) and in some of the urban areas as much as the quality was. The green is perfectly fine for the north and Lebanon, and after 2 hours at Tze'elim in the Negev, it takes on a tan hue from the dust (just like the olive leaves) that doesn't look out of place.

For comfort we used to hunt around for what we called Amerikayiot, the blue-green BDUs from the late 70s. They were super soft and comfortable.

Devil68
03-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Just some pics that show there are more woodland areas in Israel than some of you think, not just desert terain;)
First is on the road from Ramla to jerusalem, second is in the Golan, near Tiberia.
Edit:Yes, the pics is taken during winter.

b33f
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
Just some pics that show there are more woodland areas in Israel than some of you think, not just desert terain;)
First is on the road from Ramla to jerusalem, second is in the Golan, near Tiberia.
Edit:Yes, the pics is taken during winter.

Is there a sniper hidden in one of those pictures !?! ;)

OttawaLoneWolf
03-31-2006, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=Kaplanr]others wear whatever happens to be in their bedroom dresser.

[QUOTE]

ha ha ha ! u are killing me

pretorian669
04-13-2006, 06:35 PM
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8630http://community.webshots.com/album/130033958VSzrtU

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/pretorian669/TOM/Image4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/pretorian669/TOM/Image1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/pretorian669/TOM/Image6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/pretorian669/TOM/Image3a.jpg