PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Armored Patrol Concept Vehicle

SuicideSteve
03-26-2006, 12:14 PM
A new concept vehicle for the army. Info taken from http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/newsrelease/ultra-ap.htm

Survivability: This factor involves a vehicle’s ability to shield occupants from hostile action. The ULTRA AP will feature novel design concepts and research advances in lightweight and cost-effective armor to maximize capability and protection. The new armor was designed at GTRI in partnership with the Georgia Tech School of Materials Science and Engineering. The vehicle also incorporates a “blast bucket” designed to provide ballistic, blast and enhanced roll-over protection. New vehicle designs must incorporate dramatically increased resistance to explosions caused by mines and improvised explosive devices, Caille noted.Safety with Performance: The ULTRA design explored the use of on-board computers to integrate steering, suspension and brakes to provide an unparalleled level of mobility and safety, Caille added. The new vehicle’s integrated chassis represents an advancement over the most advanced current production vehicles.

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/ultra_armor.jpg
http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/images/ultra-ap11.jpg
http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/images/ultra-ap62.jpg
http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/images/ultra-onr50.jpghttp://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/images/ultra-onr3.jpg

Balic
03-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Strange looking thing...

TriggerHappy
03-26-2006, 12:24 PM
It will never make it.
It doesn't look promising at all.

RGRBOX
03-26-2006, 12:26 PM
It's got to make it.. probably cost too much, and some General or VP Cheny is behind it...

3rdMillhouse
03-26-2006, 12:29 PM
It will never make it.
It doesn't look promising at all.

Yep, it looks very tight and uncomfortable.

Chulo
03-26-2006, 12:34 PM
we have quite a few articles and threads about this around here on MP>net

Sweaty
03-26-2006, 12:38 PM

also known as cozy...

Acid Bath
03-26-2006, 12:53 PM
I thought this vehicle was made as a concept. I do not know if this specific vehicle was made to be put into production, I was told that it was simply to showcase new technologies that could help future vehicles stop things like IEDs. I could easily be wrong, but this vehicle does look too cramped to be put into production.

ZoneOne
03-26-2006, 01:41 PM

What military vehicle is comfortable?

iGrooCk
03-26-2006, 01:47 PM
has too much....space wasted, too much metal parts sticking out, no so much of a "good" vehicle in my book

BadKarma26
03-26-2006, 01:53 PM

atleast the HMMWV has some room in it....and doesn't look retarded

ronin2172
03-26-2006, 01:59 PM
I think some of you don't understand the term concept vehicle......

Roaming East
03-26-2006, 02:25 PM
last seen cruising the streets of Gotham....

JVeld
03-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Pretty strange looking vehicle but as long as it get the job done !

Frost
03-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Repost #119002111.25mkIII

DE_Six
03-26-2006, 02:51 PM
According to a military interests magazine, NavSpecWar showed interest in a version modified to suit their needs.

FWIW.

Slinky
03-26-2006, 03:04 PM
looks pretty useful for mass riots

deadhorse
03-26-2006, 03:32 PM
Probably best suited for civic duty, and doesn't look very tactically viable.....but any research to help the soldiers survive IED's is a step in the RIGHT direction.

narbilistic
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I wonder what's the MPG on that thing.

DE_Six
03-26-2006, 05:07 PM
Probably best suited for civic duty, and doesn't look very tactically viable.....but any research to help the soldiers survive IED's is a step in the RIGHT direction.

I don't know, its design is reminiscent of South African vehicles like the Casspir, the Buffel or the Nyala/Mamba.

It looks perfectly suited to patrolling in mine/IED infested areas. Protection against such threats is crucial in low-intensity conflicts and this vehicle seems a good idea.

On the downside, it cuts off the crew from the locals, but the price of direct contact is vulnerability.

DE_Six
03-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I wonder what's the MPG on that thing.

Apparently, it's going to be a hybrid electric/fossil fuel (likely diesel) propulsion to improve on the endurance. The prototype on the pics has a diesel engine, sorry don't have the specs.

The mass of the vehicle is impressive, especially if they mount the projected remote-operated weapon station and the active anti-RPG system. Plus, it's supposed to carry six men. Not a lot of room left for fuel.

BTW, according to the design office (GTRI), the Ultra is not meant to replace the Humvee, but some of the design features might be integrated in the HMMWV replacement.

.Incognito
03-26-2006, 05:52 PM
It looks like something out of a movie.

lightfire
03-26-2006, 06:02 PM
the cocpit looks like some sort of a TIE fighter,though to be honest it's ugly..:|

deadhorse
03-26-2006, 07:40 PM
My opinion is that all around visibility is low; although you ultimately pay the price for visibility in protection, but my biggest complaint would be getting IN TO it or OUT of it...looks way too cramped....been in a few situations where I had to un-ass myself rather quickly, so based on that, I would think it is not too viable as a general mission support vehicle. But that is neither here nor there cause that is just my opinion! heh heh

3rdMillhouse
03-26-2006, 08:56 PM

Thanks BadKarma

Anthony91
03-26-2006, 08:57 PM

And it looks like it will crush any Rebel forces on Hoth!!!!!!For the emporer!!!

nullterm
03-26-2006, 10:17 PM
Can the crew pod blast off and fly to safety?

sir-chimp
03-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Can the crew pod blast off and fly to safety?

yes but only once

ronin2172
03-26-2006, 11:14 PM
My opinion is that all around visibility is low; although you ultimately pay the price for visibility in protection, but my biggest complaint would be getting IN TO it or OUT of it...looks way too cramped....been in a few situations where I had to un-ass myself rather quickly, so based on that, I would think it is not too viable as a general mission support vehicle. But that is neither here nor there cause that is just my opinion! heh heh
again this is not even a prototype...it is a CONCEPT vehicle, it is a test bed for new technologies and such....features tested out by this will probably show up on other vehicles that will actually be fielded

Nizark
03-27-2006, 12:53 AM
isn't that the south african or aussie truck? the warthog or buffalo?

Dominique
03-27-2006, 12:57 AM

Apparently, you've never been inside the one I'm assingned to.

31Charlie
03-27-2006, 04:33 AM
This is from:
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_200592522.asp

"Billions of dollars are being thrown at the IED (roadside bomb) problem in Iraq. This means that a lot of ideas that would, in normal times, never get money, now do. Some are strange, and useless, and diligent muckrakers will eventually get to them. But some are pretty interesting, and potentially useful. One of them is the ULTRA AP, a heavily modified Ford F-350 pickup. The 350 (and its cousin, the 250) are favorites with police and armed forces in many nations. The Afghan army recently bought 5,000 modified (for harsh cross country terrain) F-350s for their army. The ULTRA AP (for Armored Patrol) was designed to reflect some of the ideas coming out of Iraq, on how to design a more effective “armored truck” for combat patrols in an area where you are likely to encounter mines, roadside bombs and ambushes. The F-350 was selected because it is a mature, proven design that provides a good starting point. The Office of Naval Research (which does stuff for the marines), turned the Georgia Tech Research Institute (which does a lot of defense work, and is considered the “MIT of the South”) loose on the project.

The first mod was the use the light-weight armor that was being used by military trucks in Iraq. This included bullet and blast proof glass. The next mod was more interesting, and based on suggestions from the troops. The seating was changed from four people sitting two by two, to a diamond, one by two by one, arrangement. This meant replacing the current body of the 350 with a new one that made the ULTRA AP look more like an armored car. But this did two important things. It got the passengers farther away from the wheels, which are the things that go over mines and take much of the blast. Second, it put the four passengers in positions troops consider more useful. The driver is in front, taking care of driving. The two passengers behind the driver face the left and right. The fourth passenger faces the rear. This way, the passengers are always giving the vehicle a view of potential threats coming from any direction. The passenger compartment is actually a “blast bucket,” with armor beneath the passengers that deflects much of the blast away. The designers also took advantage of the computer networks that are now standard in motor vehicles, and provided the driver with more control over maneuvering the vehicle on roads, and cross country.

The Office of Naval Research will test the ULTRA AP to see if the design concepts are worth incorporating into future military vehicles. Some more may be built so that they can be tested with mines and roadside bombs as well."

Justin
03-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Strange looking vehicle... It might make it you know, this might seem really strange to us now, but who knows.

When people first heard Elvis Presley's music, they totally hated it, but now, he is the most recognised singer in the world (i think)... haha. See if you can understand my analogy.

eATS
03-27-2006, 09:15 AM
thought that was for bomb and mine removal, the concept photos have been around for a few years, crazy to see a prototype so soon..

RGRBOX
03-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Well if it does what it made to do, I don't care what it looks like..

deadhorse
03-27-2006, 12:39 PM
again this is not even a prototype...it is a CONCEPT vehicle, it is a test bed for new technologies and such....features tested out by this will probably show up on other vehicles that will actually be fielded
I understand the meaning of "concept"; that is why in my first post I said "any RESEARCH is a step in the right direction".

deadhorse
03-27-2006, 12:42 PM
This is from:
http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articles/military_photos_200592522.asp

"Billions of dollars are being thrown at the IED (roadside bomb) problem in Iraq. This means that a lot of ideas that would, in normal times, never get money, now do. Some are strange, and useless, and diligent muckrakers will eventually get to them. But some are pretty interesting, and potentially useful. One of them is the ULTRA AP, a heavily modified Ford F-350 pickup. The 350 (and its cousin, the 250) are favorites with police and armed forces in many nations. The Afghan army recently bought 5,000 modified (for harsh cross country terrain) F-350s for their army. The ULTRA AP (for Armored Patrol) was designed to reflect some of the ideas coming out of Iraq, on how to design a more effective “armored truck” for combat patrols in an area where you are likely to encounter mines, roadside bombs and ambushes. The F-350 was selected because it is a mature, proven design that provides a good starting point. The Office of Naval Research (which does stuff for the marines), turned the Georgia Tech Research Institute (which does a lot of defense work, and is considered the “MIT of the South”) loose on the project.

The first mod was the use the light-weight armor that was being used by military trucks in Iraq. This included bullet and blast proof glass. The next mod was more interesting, and based on suggestions from the troops. The seating was changed from four people sitting two by two, to a diamond, one by two by one, arrangement. This meant replacing the current body of the 350 with a new one that made the ULTRA AP look more like an armored car. But this did two important things. It got the passengers farther away from the wheels, which are the things that go over mines and take much of the blast. Second, it put the four passengers in positions troops consider more useful. The driver is in front, taking care of driving. The two passengers behind the driver face the left and right. The fourth passenger faces the rear. This way, the passengers are always giving the vehicle a view of potential threats coming from any direction. The passenger compartment is actually a “blast bucket,” with armor beneath the passengers that deflects much of the blast away. The designers also took advantage of the computer networks that are now standard in motor vehicles, and provided the driver with more control over maneuvering the vehicle on roads, and cross country.

The Office of Naval Research will test the ULTRA AP to see if the design concepts are worth incorporating into future military vehicles. Some more may be built so that they can be tested with mines and roadside bombs as well."
Similiar to this, if not the same, is a system General Dynamics is now installing, called "Chameleon" on wheeled platforms to "chase" convoys and jam IED signals across multiple frequencies. Anyone else hear of this?