PDA

View Full Version : Tank markings? Help please.

Johnnyboy
06-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi, i have a question. I always wondered about those triangles in American and other NATO and western Tanks when i saw them in Iraq etc... Could someone explain me what they mean, what they are for and what kinds of it exist?

http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/8769/merkava3d26pb.jpg

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/shot/shot_2.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Johnnyboy
06-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Oh come on guys, i always thought you were totally into military stuff, please don't make me believe that there is just a couple of airsofters and Kids around here...

ittai-a
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
the tanks you show are Israeli tanks
the various "v" markings determine the regiment of the tank

Johnnyboy
06-05-2006, 12:08 PM
the tanks you show are Israeli tanks
the various "v" markings determine the regiment of the tank

Here is an American tank

http://cplshaunwebb.com/M1A1%20ABRAMS%2005.JPG

The regiment? So how are there tanks of two different regiments in one Squad if this is the meaning of the triangles?

Lazarou
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Here is an American tank

http://cplshaunwebb.com/M1A1%20ABRAMS%2005.JPG

The regiment? So how are there tanks of two different regiments in one Squad if this is the meaning of the triangles?

http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/7002/markings1dx.jpg

American Patriot
06-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I always thought it had something to do with the Spartans painting a lambda on their shields

Johnnyboy
06-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Thank you for the picture, this was just what i was looking for.

Jaegerfeld
06-05-2006, 12:30 PM
i'm no tanker, but imho thats company markings
check this site for further details
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=870
its poor quality, i'm scanning for another site

Jaegerfeld
06-05-2006, 12:33 PM
i'm no tanker, but imho thats company markings
check this site for further details
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=870
its poor quality, i'm scanning for another site

uuups, lazarou was faster

Kaplanr
06-05-2006, 12:47 PM
stuff deleted

Moledet
06-05-2006, 01:11 PM
As far as I know, no Israeli will tell you what they mean even though they change once in a while.

BTW, notice there are white markings on the barrel. No one gonna tell you what's that either ;)

Dronetek
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/7002/markings1dx.jpg
So, why are there symbols that arent indicated on that chart? The triangle pointing up and the other one poiting down. neither have dots in them to indicate 1st platoon. Why would other armies use the same symbols? Wouldnt that cause problems?

ElHombre
06-05-2006, 02:35 PM
As far as I know, no Israeli will tell you what they mean even though they change once in a while.

BTW, notice there are white markings on the barrel. No one gonna tell you what's that either ;)

the company in the battalion. (i.e.: not kill rings)

Johnnyboy, that symbol has two uses. in the US and israel (perhaps others) it's used as a unit ID marker. during GW1, an upside-down V was used as a coalition marker due to the varied equipment used (they didn't want to destroy a T-55 only to discover too late that it belonged to an allied syrian unit).

mattnwnc03
06-05-2006, 07:04 PM
in desert storm we painted inverted v "s on our vehicles for coalition id. plus the 24th id put upright v"s on their kevlars for division id. it can be what ever the unit wants to put on the vehicle to identify theirselves. like our rucksacks had reflectors on the flaps - one rectangle for 1st sqd, 2 rectangles for 2nd sqd, and 3 rectangles for 3rd squad.and of course the 101st arbne using the symbols from a deck a cards for identification

zulu261
06-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Even german Tanks had that stuff in Kosovo. --> Coalition Forces I thought.

andres3300
06-08-2006, 03:23 AM
As far as I know the markings in IDF tanks indicate the battlion, company and platoon

The battlion is indicated by the rings in the barrel of the main gun, one ring first battlion, two ring second battlion, and so forth.

The company is indicated by the chevrons (the V's) V is first company, > is second company, ^ is third company and < is fourth company.

The platoon and the number of the tank in the platoon is indicated by a hebrew letter (Aleph, Bet, Gimmel, Dalet=Platoon A, B, C or D) and a number, 1, 2,3. They are normally indicated on panels at the rear of the turret.

These indications are sometimes also present on the mud guards and they also include a geometric symbol ( star, circle, square, romboid) that I believe represent the regimient.

In any case I believe thet they change the markings on the tanks very often in order to create some confusion

Bzzliteyr
06-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Rather, to -alleviate- any confusion when you want to confirm if your tank troop is properly aligned. You can verify if your patrol(fire team) is actually together or if you have misaligned and ended up with another troop(platoon)!!

guidehog
06-08-2006, 09:11 AM
I think what Andres3000 was getting at was changing the entire troop codes etc regularly to confuse the 'enemy'.

Bzzliteyr
06-08-2006, 11:39 AM
That would have the equal result on the "friendlies".. it's like callsigns(on the radio), they tend to be fixed so that there is no confusion. It is a double edged sword and it helps us, but theoretically it helps the enemy too, as commanders' vehicles can be easily recognized. The main thing is that friendlies don't kill friendlies.

If I am on the battlefield, I am not looking at insignia, I am looking at vehicle types. I mean if the badguys have T-72s, then I know what I am looking for.. once I see more antennas, I can guess it's a command tank.

Jaegerfeld
06-08-2006, 12:40 PM
i don't understand why they paint this markings on the track skirt, cause normally a tanker trys to cover his tracks, so that only the turret can be seen. its not easy to identify the markings when u cant see them. it's easier to look in which direction the tank stands and on whom he's firing.

Kaplanr
06-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Not sure what you mean. If I'm advancing line abreast I can easily locate my unit(s). At least in the IDF (first ones to use the system I believe) this a commander's tool for quick ID and visual that units are where they're supposed to be.

Jaegerfeld
06-08-2006, 01:49 PM
i'm no tanker but every time when i worked with them, they drove their tanks behind stone walls/ wadis/ earthwalls to protect the lower side of the tank and you cant see any markings sprayed on the skirts,
when i would mark my tanks i will use flags or colours on the turret

CDAT
06-08-2006, 11:14 PM
They are for identification purposes like others have said. You don't cover jack squat in the desert.

Some of those 'extra' triangles are covered or made with a substance that is easy to see with thermal devises at night.

Some are for aircraft to id a friendly (once again being able to see it in the dark).

The reason for the platoon, company and battalion designators is for the tankers themselves. When buttoned up and only 3 inch high vision blocks to view from, you glance to your left and right and can tell exactly who is near you. You can then switch to their company/platoon freq on the radio if you need assistance or they're creating a problem. The ones are on the skirts because, if the turret is traversed away from you, you can't see the ones on the turret.

The rings on the gun tubes is the same thing most likely. In Desert Storm, we were ordered to remove 'combat kill' markings from our gun tubes. I guess we didn't want to offend the enemy or something.:roll:

There is usually on more (ID plate) on the back center of the bustlerack of the turret. It's big and easy to see because there should only be friendlies behind you.

The small ones on the front of the turret, show up as hot in a thermal viewer. This is to prevent a fratricide.