PDA

View Full Version : Boots Boots Boots... 62 boot threads in one

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

Hollis
11-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Kartoon, in a way we have two militarys. Garrison Soldiers and Combat soldiers, so to speak.

Garrison is all about neat, straight, starched, polished, attention, saluting, parading etc.

Combat is about living, trying to stay alive and completing the mission.

If it worked and you needed it, yes, otherwise it never happened. If it was one more thing you did not have to carry, you did not carry it.

At least from my view. I was a Bush Marine.

wayneard3413
11-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey man i im no way trying to degrade what you have done or are willing to do... All im saying is that word to the wise you might want to watch how you word things

Kartoon
11-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Yes, I understand that, and that's why I don't think it should be concidered disrispectful to say e.g that unbloused pants look bad or "unprofessional" as mentioned. Isn't it clear that it is said garrison in mind. :)

And wayneard, I hear you. But as I said, it's sometimes hard to stay politically correct, although my intentions are good. It's hard to see all things from another view. A view, that has survival as the first priority.

Laconian
11-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Hey, you like blousing bands/rubbers, etc. good for you. I hated them and tucked my trousers into my boots. I only used them to wrap my poncho onto my LBE. Even now, if I have to gear up, I blouse my boots by tucking them in. The guys that used to get dinged for tucking their boots were the guys that pulled them super tight, like leggings around their calves. They called that "GWs" then and they set the Top off like a rabid pit bull on ribeye whenever he saw it.

dkgenerallee
12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Ive read some very good reviews on these, and they are made under corcoran and matterhorn. So im wondering are they the same quality as the matterhorn boots? If anyone has owned a pair please let me know.

here is a link to the boots im talking about.. http://armynavy.ws/bknight.htm

From the site above these are $148, but from uscav.com they are $160 and $184 from another site.

dkgenerallee
12-06-2007, 04:35 PM
http://armynavy.ws/bknightboot32dotjpg

ADK031
12-06-2007, 05:43 PM
They look almost exactly like the Danner Acadia, except this company's "version" has more Thinsulate, 400 more grams, but no Gore-Tex so that would explain most of why this model is cheaper. That and this boot's stitching looks a bit less than Danner's. Same sole so I would guess it's re-soleable as well.

dkgenerallee
12-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Well, I know Danners are top of the line and these are only 50 dollars less. So the quality shouldnt be too much of a difference right?

also i have a pair of bates tan warrior leather boots, and some of the stiching came loose near the toe cap, after only 2 trips to the woods and wearing them for about 3 weeks. What factors can lead to the stiching coming undone? i.e. (poor quality, type of material, quantanty of stiches?)

In addition im not going to use these for trainin, hunting... I just love combat boots and im just buying these simply to have a good pair of cold weather combat boots.

dkgenerallee
12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
As far as the difference of stiching between these and the arcadia's, i cant really tell the difference in the amount.

Are there more stiches per in., or more reinforcing stiches?

ADK031
12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
Well if the Danners are only $50 more in your neck of the woods I would buy them, but that's me. I'm afraid of change when what I know works. Danner has been very friendly to my feet (Ft. Lewis model) for 2 pairs worth. The stitching actually looks to be the same upon closer inspection.

dkgenerallee
12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
http://armynavysuperstores.com/1996dotjpg
I was also thinking about these matterhorns.. http://armynavysuperstores.com/matt1996.htm

They are almost the same, but they have water resistant leather and a gore tex bootie. Im not really looking for the most expensive boot, just a good warm(and dry) long lasting boot. And ive also heard good things about matterhorn. These also have the vibram sierra sole which i hear is pretty good in snow and shedding mud.

ADK031
12-06-2007, 07:14 PM
I believe that Matterhorns are on a par with Danner, in fact I think they were around before Danner. If your feet sweat alot like mine do, you should probably stay away from anything with more than 200 grams of Thinsulate for Fall, Spring, Winter.

dkgenerallee
12-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Ok, i believe the matterhorns are the ones i will get. The ones shown they offer in 200 gram thinsulate. If they are on par with danner then they should be great.

Thanks for the advice adk031 it helped alot.

dkgenerallee
12-11-2007, 02:18 AM
I have a pair of model 1996 matterhorns on the way, and ive read every review i could find on pretty much all the matterhorn combat boots. I didnt see one bad review. Take a look at the ones on this page at uscav.com they are for the usmc model you are talking about.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=5556&TabID=1

Matterhorn is a high quality company, and is top of the line quality. The only thing better is maybe danner. If you want a good set of insoles check these danner fatigue fighters out they are great.

http://www.danner.com/category/accessories/airthotics-footbeds.do

hope that helps

digrar
12-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Next week will make it a year since he last logged in, but I think he'll find that information very helpful, cheers...

8thidpathfinderpower
12-11-2007, 03:49 AM
I do not know if Ft. Drum still issues Matterhorns, but whenI got my first pair in 1991, I found them to be great boots. But, they are not made for hot weather.

seraosha
12-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Since we are necroing...

I wore my mattys while in Haiti and in the field in Louisiana...sure, they are cold weather boots, but the gortex shell breathes just fine, and if you like dry feet (and if you saw what was in the gutters in Port au Prince you would too), they are pretty hard to beat.

Close to 13 years now, and they are still doing great. Best spent money on my feet yet.

JC0352
12-11-2007, 10:05 AM
That's what I had issued to me at MCRD San Diego in '99 and I thought they were great!

Dragonscript
12-14-2007, 11:36 AM
I still have mine from the original issue in 98 and they are great boots except for the tread & insoles. The tread pattern just sucks when it comes to ice, i slipped in them more often than i did in jungles, so just replace the tread and put good insoles in them and they feel just like sneakers.

Ashen
12-21-2007, 11:54 AM
I got a pair of Lowa boots for an early Christmas present, specifically, these ones.

http://www.rvops.co.uk/military-footwear-87/lowa-boots-84/gore-tex-lined-lowa-combat-boots-507.html

Now, normally I take a UK 9.5 size. However, when I try these boots on, they feel fine when I stand still, but as I start running my feet slide forward and rub on the front of the boot. It's not painful, but not particularly comfortable either, and just doesn't feel right.

Is this normal? Is it because they are new, or need to be broken in properly? Or is it recommended to get the next size up with Lowa boots?

Thanks for your time.

Dragonscript
12-21-2007, 12:05 PM
When it come to boots i always like to get the next size larger, verus what i get for running shoes. The reason for this is so that i can wear two layers of socks and most boots don't come in extra-wide. Also, while i don't have these exact same boots, i do have something similiar and like all boots you just need to break them in to get that comforable feel to them.

Try on the next size larger, if you can, and see how that works.

Ashen
12-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Thankyou. I wasn't sure about breaking them in, as a friend of mine has these boots too and he said that he didn't have to break them in. I'll swap them for a ten and see how that goes.

Edit: OK, just followed my dad's advice and tried them with a thinner pair of socks. They feel much better now, so I guess the answer is not to use British Army issue socks. Anyone suggest any thinner pairs that'll do the job?

nickless
12-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Just get them in the right size. If you can't wear thicker socks in military or trecking boots, you don't have the right size, it's that simple. ;)

Ashen
Fair enough.

lt tahoe
I don't think thinner socks is the answer--your boots should fit your socks. Try the next size up.

wotsnext
12-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Dont get them too big.....All footwear needs to be broken-in to some extent, Shoes only ever get bigger..not smaller, Your heel needs to to be held back by secure laceing, A shoe that is 2 sizes to big will still hurt your toe if it is too loose................Trust me I have sold 1000s of pairs of shoes over the years.

Ashen
12-21-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks for all your help...guess this is what I deserve for buying an item of clothing off of the net, huh? Never again!

wotsnext
12-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all your help...guess this is what I deserve for buying an item of clothing off of the net, huh? Never again!
Well as long as they prove o/k you could reorder with confidence, So much stuff is now made in the far east and the sizing is very unreliable.

Dragonscript
12-21-2007, 02:31 PM
A good sock combo is to wear wool socks over a polypropylene sock liner, taht way your feet are dry and warm. I have immersed by entire boot into freezing water and in five minutes my foot felt dry again. The rest of me felt like **** but my feet were dry.

James
12-21-2007, 04:33 PM
I swear by Smartwool socks. That's all I wear now. They're spendy, but you won't regret them.

James K
12-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Lowas tend to run a half size smaller than normal , this was the case when i got my desert seekers

Chet
12-22-2007, 10:16 PM
I customize 1/6 scale figures and I got a small set of questions for all tankers around the world:

What kind of boots do AFV/tanker crew members wear in your respective military? I know that at one time the US Army had tanker specific boots, wasn't sure if they still wear them.

Do you wear BDU when you are not in your vehicle or is the coverall your uniform?

I saw the thread on the CVC helmet issue, do you guys wear regular helmets when you are dismounted? I noticed that the new ACH MICH TC-2002 has an option to be used as a CVC, is that a helmet that you might wear?

What kind of vest/bodyarmor do you wear? I saw the RAV being used but wasn't sure how wide-spread it's use is?

What personal gear do you wear beside what I asked, so I can make a figure "authentic"?

One last question, what personal firearms are you issued? I kow that most tankers are provided with a pistol, but what else? M-4 carbines are used but how many per crew? What in particular do the IDF use?

Thanks a whole bunch, I know it is a great deal to ask. I see tons of figures for Infantry and Paratroopers but just one for AFV/tank crewmember.

Thank you again,
Chet

45commandorm
12-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Cant go wrong with lowa's, i could yomp forever in them bad boys

Crux
12-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I sold Lowas for years, just because your toes hit up front does not mean you need a larger size! Think about your foot and how much it elongates when you apply your body weight, that can be corrected and also consider a "tounge depressor" and possibly different lacing. Stretching part of the boot is not uncommon. Most of the time when people up-size it makes it worse.

The "volume" of the boot is also very important. If your low-volume and the boot is high-volume your going to slide forward no matter what.

8thidpathfinderpower
12-23-2007, 03:35 PM
Armored crewmen in the US Army wear cvc coveralls, or nomex flight suits. they wear the same web gear as the regular units, IE IOTV and OTV, with molle pouches. As for the helmet, they usually wear what is called a CVC helmet, which consists of a kevelar outer shell, a foam padded inner shell, which also houses the ear phones for the commo gear also.

lt tahoe
12-24-2007, 09:49 AM
8ID is correct. We still wore tanker boots when I was in; and when dismounted, you switch to a standard helmet and leave your CVC helmet in the vehicle.

Heazy
12-27-2007, 02:28 AM
Hi, i'm headed to Alaska for my first duty station and would like some good recommendations for winter boots. I was thinking of getting Danners, either the insulated hunting ones or just buying the winter ACU tan acadias. However, i wanted to explore something either than military-style winter boots/shoes. Anyone have any experience with Gore-tex Merrels? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

theholeinthedonut
12-27-2007, 05:27 AM
Different considerations come into play. What temperature range will you be wearing the boots in.....will you wear them only outside for long periods of outside duty...or will you be mainly working inside with just short walks from one building to another. Then you will need different boots for outside work during the middle of winter then those you wear when it's thawing.
If you need good muklukks have a look at the US Elitegear website.
http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=useg&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=425640285&Count2=342780709

Hutz
12-27-2007, 11:34 AM
For winter up north, can't beat mukluks, white.

Heazy
12-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Good call on the mukluks, I assume the Outdoor Research ones. They make awesome products. Like donut said, i'm taking all those considerations into account. Mainly just for off duty wear, to and from buildings, and into town, etc.

James
12-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Sorrells are good to go for cold and snow.

ADK031
12-27-2007, 06:24 PM
Mukluks, especially army issue styles are quite different in feel and support from wearing a regular boot, say like a Danner Ft. Lewis. You should try them on and walk around before buying them. They are defintely very warm, Canadian issue are rated down to -40. That being said if you do go with Danner you would be much better off with something like the Ft. Lewis rather than a desert model. Check out the Ft. Lewis with 600 grams of Thinsulate.

Cedan
12-27-2007, 06:29 PM
stay away from gore-tex boots mate, its **** in cold weather, if you're going to be outside for a long time get some decent leather boots, get wool soles in the boots with insulated covers on top of the boots like this: http://www.forsvarsbrukt.no/produkter/Fotposnybilddotjpg

if you manage to get frostbites with that, I'll be impressed

Wall
12-27-2007, 08:27 PM
stay away from gore-tex boots mate, its **** in cold weather,
What? I have used goretex boots now for 3 years, and i have noting bad to say about them in winter use.

Maybe its more like what type of goretex boots you buy... There is huge differences.

Kilkenny
12-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Sorrells are good to go for cold and snow.

Good call Sorel boots are awesome. They are not gore-Tex which is good. Gore-Tex will eventually get wet and when they do you feet will be screwed.

http://www.sorel.com/

ADK031
12-27-2007, 09:36 PM
No, I wouldn't recommend GoreTex if your MOS is infantry as your feet will be immersed in water higher than the top of the boots for enough times to make you hate GoreTex/Sympatex etc....It is true that GoreTex is bad when wet because it takes along time to dry (provided you even have the opportunity) and it is of course significantly heavier when wet. If your MOS is MP or something similar than you'll be OK with a GoreTex boot. All depends on what and where you'll be using them. Gaiters would help.

Heazy
12-28-2007, 12:29 AM
No, I wouldn't recommend GoreTex if your MOS is infantry as your feet will be immersed in water higher than the top of the boots for enough times to make you hate GoreTex/Sympatex etc....
Yeah i'm a 11b. Already had a bad experience with GoreTex boots, had to wear soaked GoreTex winters for 2 days during a bivuac. :-(
I'll check out Sorels next time I go to REI. Thanks for the recommendations!

INCONEL
12-28-2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.baffin.com/

And buy large enough to put inner-soles in them

Kjes
12-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Just wondering if you guys get Alfa boots in the states. It's a Norwegian manufacturer that's been the official supplier of boots to our military for decades with a boot (M-77) that's been unchanged since 1976, because it's just that good. (Sounds a bit like a commercial) I definitely agree with Cedan, get some great leather boots like the M-77 (cough cough) and get something like
http://www.forsvarsbrukt.no/produkter/Fotposnybilddotjpg

gaijinsamurai
12-29-2007, 01:39 AM
I've had good luck with Sorels and Danners. The Sorels being better for warmth, but the Danners having the edge on maneuverability and all-around practicality.

nasredin
01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Hello
Can anyone identify this boots. I know the brand is Merrell, I just don't know the model

Thanks.

http://i1.uploadem.com/01082008/snapshot20080108182529dotjpg

http://i1.uploadem.com/01082008/snapshot20080108182447dotjpg

Laconian
01-08-2008, 09:50 PM
They look like the Phaser Rush found on the hard to find Merrill website: www.merrell.com

You may want to brush up on your search-fu...

Hollis
01-08-2008, 09:55 PM
They look like the Phaser Rush found on the hard to find Merrill website: www.merrell.com (http://www.merrell.com)

Or the Morraines, or they changed the name.

Crimsonel
01-09-2008, 12:34 AM
Those are the Rushs for sure, nice plain and subdued! Phaser Rush

Nephilim
01-09-2008, 04:35 AM
oho...

*runs for cover*

Ohtar1985
01-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Those two pictures are from some kind of documentary?

Crimsonel
01-09-2008, 03:49 PM
I like the goretex danners with about 600 g thinsulate for mid range cold wx. but I will caution as well against using in scenarios where full immersion is common. here is what I have used for several years in temps from -30F, to 102F:

I love the desert Acadias for about 75% of conditions they are great and can come with or without g-tex.

I use the Danner Ft. Lewis with 600g in the early spring and Fall to stay warm down into freezing temps without sacrificing too much on manueverability and causing foot sweat.

For extreme temps I use a -100F Lacrosse with full lace and they seem to work well and offer good support for a Pacboot. The temp rating is over rated but they do well down to - 25 deg if you dont put them on frozen and are not sitting for too long.

STEPAN1983
01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Hello everyone! I need help from israeli guys... In september I'm going to visit Israel for one week. During the visit, I'm going to buy an israeli red boots.

1. I've been told that there are two versions of this boots - old and new - what is the difference? Maybe there are a lot of versions?

2. What boot sizing system is used in Israel? Do they have a width types like in US system? My size is 7 1/2 or 8 ("D" or "R" - middle width) for US system and 40 - 41 for Euro system. How can I compare Israel sizes to US and Euro sizes?

3. IMHO, israeli boots look like a copy of US "Combat-1" boots. Am I right?

4. What companies produce this boots? Is there a commercial copies and official govermental-ordered boots? I want a real boots, not some commercial crap...

P.S. I'm not going to buy this boots by internet ways, only a real shop in Israel.

Steelersfan413
01-09-2008, 08:01 PM
I had wondered about these boots about a week ago in a "todays pics" thread.

My dad, (who is from Israel,) told me that they were used for paratroopers

MFS1589
01-09-2008, 08:37 PM
They look like the Phaser Rush found on the hard to find Merrill website: www.merrell.com

Wrong! Not Merrells. Try Vasque Wasatch GTX I am sure you can find a link for them.

California Joe
01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
It's good to have a goal in life.

Ezekiel25:17
01-09-2008, 09:37 PM
just get a pair of dr.martens in ox blood

btw, you are going to israel and can only think about boots? check out the women in the military thread.

miguelencanarias
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Those boots go great with the Blood Diamond pants.

LRPV
01-09-2008, 11:34 PM
They only work well when using the Israeli lace-up method.

IDF_TANKER
01-10-2008, 03:45 AM
Hello everyone! I need help from israeli guys... In september I'm going to visit Israel for one week. During the visit, I'm going to buy an israeli red boots.

1. I've been told that there are two versions of this boots - old and new - what is the difference? Maybe there are a lot of versions?
I don't think you would find the old boots anywhere... Anyway, the new boots - "light boots" - are, well, lighter and have shock suspension in sole(you can see that the sole has two layers) and as far as I remember they have a blue band inside(for marking the light version).

2. What boot sizing system is used in Israel? Do they have a width types like in US system? My size is 7 1/2 or 8 ("D" or "R" - middle width) for US system and 40 - 41 for Euro system. How can I compare Israel sizes to US and Euro sizes?
The Europe system, same as in Russia.

3. IMHO, israeli boots look like a copy of US "Combat-1" boots. Am I right?
Have no idea.

4. What companies produce this boots? Is there a commercial copies and official govermental-ordered boots? I want a real boots, not some commercial crap...
One of the companies which produce the boots is Alba. In any way, if you go to the big military/tourist gear chain stores like Rikoshet(can find it practically in every mall) and ask the military boots - you'll get it. One way to see that the boots are "genuine" - there have to be small pockets on the upper edge of the boots for holding the dog tags.

Anyhow, what's with the red boots?

STEPAN1983
01-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Thank you very much, IDF TANKER!!!
I'll explane why I want that boots :) I like classic army boots and I need a new all-leather boots for moderate weather (mostly for the town life). But the black ones look too militaristic, so I need something brown/red. I found three opportunities - Belleville chocolate brown boots for USMC and Navy - the only way to get them is to order from USA, Corcoran brown boots - too retro, and israeli boots.
My mother is going to visit her old university friend. She (the friend) is jewish and she lived in Turkmenistan (former republic of USSR). She emigrated to Israel in 90-s with her small daughter and very old father, because the president's regime (so called Turkmenbashi - Father of all turkmens) persecuted all non-turkmen and russian-speaking people. She lives in a small town near Tel-Aviv, so it won't be a problem for me to get to Tel-Aviv and find some big store.

IDF_TANKER
01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Thank you very much, IDF TANKER!!!
I'll explane why I want that boots :) I like classic army boots and I need a new all-leather boots for moderate weather (mostly for the town life). But the black ones look too militaristic, so I need something brown/red. I found three opportunities - Belleville chocolate brown boots for USMC and Navy - the only way to get them is to order from USA, Corcoran brown boots - too retro, and israeli boots.
My mother is going to visit her old university friend. She (the friend) is jewish and she lived in Turkmenistan (former republic of USSR). She emigrated to Israel in 90-s with her small daughter and very old father, because the president's regime (so called Turkmenbashi - Father of all turkmens) persecuted all non-turkmen and russian-speaking people. She lives in a small town near Tel-Aviv, so it won't be a problem for me to get to Tel-Aviv and find some big store.
Good luck, man. Only be beware, that these boots are not really comfy - the standard thing for IDF soldiers is to buy the orthopedic insoles, so you might want to by the boots 1-2 sizes bigger than your normal size(although I heard that new boots already come with the insoles, but maybe it's only in army). Besides, you will want to put thick sport/military socks (there is no soft layer inside) - another reason to buy a bigger size.

GrimReaper
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
IDF_TANKER, the current model is mainly "Brill" pruduction and not "Alba".

Stepan,take it from my personal experience after using every type of issued boot in the IDF in the past 8 years (and currently the new model red boot) stick with the belleville's ! Just use a credit card and order it on the net.
The isreali boot is very low-tech, low-durability and in addition has bad insulation which you'll probably want if you're from Moscow.

STEPAN1983
01-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I know that israeli boots are simple and old-style, but - there is an opportunity in september and I'm gonna use it.

I've heard that Belleville (and Danners too) are the best, but -
- For me its too expensive to buy something directly from USA. There is no any Danner boots in Moscow and there are some black leather and tan gore-tex Belleville boots.
- I've never used to buy boots in the internet before, I'm not sure in my size. I've carefully measured my size according to this info: http://www.boot.com/bsizcvt.htm
but what if the ordered boots will not match? - different companies, different sizes (for the same number of size) When measuring, I use summer synthetic socks with cushion zones and I need boots with light lining (cambrelle or analogs - brown Bellevilles).

The_Dude
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi

I hope you guys can help me.
I bought a pair of Belleville boots but I can't quite figure out what model they are.
My guess would be something like 790, but the sole pattern is different from my 790A's and they don't have the Belleville tag/marking/branding on the outside.

http://www.abload.de/thumb/dsc001044yudotjpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dsc001044yudotjpg)http://www.abload.de/thumb/dsc001067erdotjpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dsc001067erdotjpg)
http://www.abload.de/thumb/dsc00108qlxdotjpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dsc00108qlxdotjpg)http://www.abload.de/thumb/dsc00109ruwdotjpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dsc00109ruwdotjpg)

nasredin
01-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Wrong! Not Merrells. Try Vasque Wasatch GTX I am sure you can find a link for them.

Look at that! - you are right. They are not merrells. And yes it's a discovery channel, but not a docummentary - rather a show called 'future weapons' i believe.

Thanks
-n.

M_trace1187
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
i think those are the newer 790s

matolman1
01-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Go ahead and buy the red boots. You will always have a cool momento from your time in Israel.
ben

dutch508
01-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Check ZAHAL

they have information on Israeli uniforms and equipment.

GrimReaper
01-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Well, if you have the money to spare when you visit, they sell at about 360-400 Israeli shekels - around 100$.

matolman1
01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
I'll sell you a pair of my black boots, IDF Issued, unworn for $50

wbear
01-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Maybe some non standard contract boot.

The sole attachment method is old style. The newest 790's etc have a "direct attach" molded on style sole. Its lighter and more flexible making it more comfortable to wear.

Trunk_Monkey
01-14-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm pretty sure that it's the older version of the 790. I've got 2 pairs of the 700s. One has the newer "Vanguard" sole, while the other has one similar to the one in your pics. I can't explain the lack of external marking on your pair. The main difference between the 2 is that the newer (Vangaurd) are much lighter weight wise.

yankee
01-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Good morning to all, what are the shoes used by the paratroopers of the
Spéciales forces on the KSK (different shoes)

- meindel ?
- lowa ?
- ???

exact modéls and réfèrence please
thank you very much to all for response
yankee

Jarhead
01-16-2008, 02:12 PM
BW-Kampfstiefel, the common Combat-boot
BW-Bergstiefel(made by HAIX,LOWA,MEINDL), boots the mountain-troops get issued
so far....

yankee
01-16-2008, 02:18 PM
thank you for response

in ksk on don't have the lowa mountain or other high quality shoes ?

yankee:)

Jarhead
01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
HAIX,LOWA and MEINDL is top quality

yankee
01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
what is the best in the three ?

yankee

Jarhead
01-16-2008, 02:42 PM
There are different opinions which are the best, I own a pair of HAIX and I love them, they are probably the best pair of boots I ever wore.

I hope a few other members will show up here and post their point of view.
Anyway use the search button we already have had a threat about boots, there are also some post about the BW-Bergstiefel

yankee
01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
thank you

what is your modél on haix ? i like the haix BGS what is your opinions ?

and i like too the lowa mountain GTX But I am afraid what heavy for long march

yankee :)

Jarhead
01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I have the normal HAIX BW-Bergstiefel
http://www.asmc.de/images/product_images/popup_images/23103_0dotjpg

yankee
01-16-2008, 03:01 PM
i like too this modél :lol:

few question on this modél ?

not gore-tex ?
same quality on the lowa mountain GTX ?
is your best choice ? for you !

thank you
I will soon buy a pair of shoes
But I do not know what to take?:roll:

Jarhead
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Its Goretex
I cant compare it with LOWAs because I haven´t worn anyone yet
Its a good pair of boots, no matter what you do, you can march in them for hours without problems.

Have a look on the boot threat.
For what are you going to buy this boots?

yankee
01-16-2008, 03:15 PM
for military use :)

in the paratroopers ! long march , jump , all days use !

yankee

Jarhead
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Than you´ll love this boots, they are the best choice

yankee
01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
thank you very much for all response :)

you buy with ASMC ? and for the size is the same with lowa ?

quinsen
01-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I own a pair of the LOWA Mountain Boot GTX. Would never change to another brand/model.

I heard Haix is the best for slim, Lowa for normal and Meindl for bigger feet (of the same size). There shouldn't be any differences in the quality.

Uwe
01-16-2008, 09:47 PM
I think a saw one photo of KSK from A-stan?

And they (some one them) had - Meindl Desert All Terrain shoes.

http://www.finnaccuracy.com/kuvat/meindl/Meindl_DesertAllTerrain_bigdotjpg

Jarhead
01-17-2008, 02:34 AM
thank you very much for all response :)

you buy with ASMC ? and for the size is the same with lowa ?

I bought mine on ebay(brand new)...I was just issued the normal BW-Kampfstiefel.
Size must be the same, they came in the army-size.
For example 270/106 (length/wide)

boy1000
01-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Its Goretex
I cant compare it with LOWAs because I haven´t worn anyone yet
Its a good pair of boots, no matter what you do, you can march in them for hours without problems.

Have a look on the boot threat.
For what are you going to buy this boots?

Please remember it is VERY individual.

I have a narrow foot, I like the Lowa in Europe rainy cold areas, in hot areas Meindl Dessert.

yankee
01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
hi all peoples

for you what is the gsg9 operator shoes ?

for me pictures 1 haix ranger BGS
and pictures 2 same or ranger gsg9

is correct for you ?
yankee :)

Albatross
01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
boots, black. anything else?

boone
01-17-2008, 02:28 PM
I forget the name but I think the same company that makes "Blood Diamond cargo pants" makes these boots.

clean
01-17-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm much more interested in Cousin Itts woodland camo outfit in the first pic.

Andreas
01-17-2008, 02:42 PM

edit

hank
01-17-2008, 02:43 PM
......................................editx2

Andreas
01-17-2008, 02:45 PM
http://pixjet.net//img/03d86f05b11d876575b69304eedd6e0d/Bilde000dotjpg

OMFG I have these, does this mean im actually in the KSK without my knowing?p-)

Jarhead
01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Please remember it is VERY individual.

I have a narrow foot, I like the Lowa in Europe rainy cold areas, in hot areas Meindl Dessert.
Dude I was talking about the common BW-BERGSTIEFEL&KAMPFSTIEFEL not about the TROPENSTIEFEL

DeltaWhisky58
01-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Closed - this topic is getting ridiculous.

Yankee - listen to what the guys here have told you. It's time you learnt to do a bit of research for yourself. As for your obsessive footwear ****** (BTW they are boots, not shoes), see a psychiatrist or a very expensive hooker.

Ninja - you've been playing too many computer games and reading Ravage's posts.

You've just joined the SAKOTW list for this week.

gilgoul
01-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Out of boredom, I took a look on ebay to see if there was any boots and other equipment from the idf for sale.
I was kind of impressed by the sheer number of items.
But mainly, I saw those boots (http://cgi.ebay.fr/Bottes-militaire-TSAHAL-IDF-Noire_W0QQitemZ220192759373QQihZ012QQcategoryZ57936QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), they are apparently brand new.
I even consider getting them as a back up, but my bank seems to disaprove my bying overseas :/

GrimReaper
01-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Out of boredom, I took a look on ebay to see if there was any boots and other equipment from the idf for sale.
I was kind of impressed by the sheer number of items.
But mainly, I saw those boots (http://cgi.ebay.fr/Bottes-militaire-TSAHAL-IDF-Noire_W0QQitemZ220192759373QQihZ012QQcategoryZ57936QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), they are apparently brand new.
I even consider getting them as a back up, but my bank seems to disaprove my bying overseas :/
1. why even bother to buy? even if you don't have two pairs, it isn't that hard to replace them today. Every battalion drill in zeelim in the past years, I have had the option to do it (not to mention through the brigade).
2. Just use paypal , any Israeli international credit card can be used.

Btw, those boots are stolen, illegal to buy and sell.

FutureGrunt
01-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Those boots look like total crap. Are they somewhat comfortable at least?

GrimReaper
01-19-2008, 05:04 AM
Well, I wouldn't call them crap, and not really uncomfortable (with low weight), and unlike our old model boot I can actually wear them without added insoles.
However they are defiantly not at all on the level of modern western army boots or commercial boots. Basically somthing like the old US jumpboot , except with a modern synthetic sole+insole (but not very hightech). Not good enough to keep warm in cold conditions, but also bad ventilation in warm weather (complete leather upper).
Most of our more dedicated combat troops are allowed to use various civilian hiking boots.

Hoodless
01-19-2008, 06:35 AM
bah, not even red, useless :P

getting equipment replaced seems to be damn near impossible. i buggered off to do a course and came back to find someone had stolen my spare boots. and they tell me i cant get another spare pair untill i have a mishpat....so far i've been waiting 5 bloody months.

imo these boots are cheap and cheerful. when its cold absolute turd. even with 2-3 pairs of socks on (which is quite a squeeze) my feet are still numb. at least have a better option for kravi.

gilgoul
01-19-2008, 07:41 AM
That's the point.
Unless you have a pretty good combina, it is almost impossible to get the "kallot" in at any training base (I tried in tseelim and lachish).
And when deployed, who has the phucking time to go bug some Rasag in a base you'll never go back to to get brand new boots.
After I accepted once a pair of kvedot, it took me a lot of effort to eventually being able to change them for the newer barvazim, and even if they aren't the best boots ever, they still do the job.

@Hoodless
For winter, use one pair of thin silk socks under a thicker wool (real wool) socks, it works wonders.
The silk is a natural insulator, and the wool, especially merinos, keeps warm even when wet.
Much better than stuffing too many socks, thus blocking the blood stream and creating even more temperature loss.

tanks_alot
01-19-2008, 07:50 AM
First of all you can buy light IDF boots at Crazy Richarde's in Dizingof center for around 400 NIS. now i really don't understand though why would you want to buy boots. in my reserve unit, during the first day of training at every deployment, we are asked if we want to replace our boots and even encouraged to do so, later during the deployment if we need to replace them with just give them to our Rasap and he takes care of it, as with any other equipment we need. and even guys that somehow managed to lose their boots, eventually got new ones without a trial or anything.

IsraDani
01-19-2008, 07:51 AM
lol... why dont use paypal? whats the matter,btw? of buying them I mean? there are many more confortable in every hiking shop :)

GrimReaper
01-19-2008, 08:04 AM
That's the point.
Unless you have a pretty good combina, it is almost impossible to get the "kallot" in at any training base (I tried in tseelim and lachish).
And when deployed, who has the phucking time to go bug some Rasag in a base you'll never go back to to get brand new boots.
After I accepted once a pair of kvedot, it took me a lot of effort to eventually being able to change them for the newer barvazim, and even if they aren't the best boots ever, they still do the job.

Are you talking about problem getting a new spare pair? if so, it is hard exactly as it should be.
However if you're talking about replacment, I personally didn't have problems replacing mine or my soldiers in every major drill we had in zeelim. There is mostly a boot replacement truck on Sundays which lets replace on your own, and of course if you have a competent quartermaster there shouldn't be a problem as he'll have a small stock ready.
Unless you don't belong to a regular combat battalion/unit (as opposed to 2nd line/territorial) and then it may be harder I presume.

little icebear
01-19-2008, 09:40 AM
bah, not even red, useless :P

Exactly what I thought. p-)

NeverDown
01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm looking for a top of the line hiking boot that will last me... I’m going to the outback for a month and whatever I wear has to be durable, lightweight, good looking, and comfortable. Need suggestions please.

Hollis
01-21-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm looking for a top of the line hiking boot that will last me... I’m going to the outback for a month and whatever I wear has to be durable, lightweight, good looking, and comfortable. Need suggestions please.

Have you tried the search function?

NeverDown
01-21-2008, 11:39 PM
yeah yeah yeah... I need something specific for the element I’m going to.

Maine Finn
01-22-2008, 12:05 AM

L.L. Bean.

Hollis
01-22-2008, 12:07 AM
yeah yeah yeah... I need something specific for the element I’m going to.

Looks like you need to pass out a crystal ball so we know what the heck you are going to use them for.

01-22-2008, 12:07 AM

outback? as in oz?

T3ngu
01-22-2008, 12:09 AM
outback? as in oz?

For the outback, i recommend thongs, if you want to go all out, get some double pluggers.

zonk
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
yeah yeah yeah... I need something specific for the element I’m going to.a good set of listening ears might be in order.....and an explanation as to what you will be doing out there, mountain climbing cross country trekking...what?

01-22-2008, 12:29 AM
are you going to roughing it or more like summer camp?

NeverDown
01-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Outback as in Australia... and the boots will go through hell.

rhino
01-22-2008, 12:39 AM
goodness, why would someone need "good looking" in the outback???
unless its brockback???

get gucci's, they are quite popular, especially among special types

T3ngu
01-22-2008, 12:41 AM

Ok working or playing.

You can get some really comfy safety boots if working, if playing, im not so sure, depends where you will be going, and if it will be wet.

More hints?

Maine Finn
01-22-2008, 12:42 AM

As said above. L.L. Bean.

01-22-2008, 12:43 AM

what will you be doing? roughing it or more like summer camp?

NeverDown
01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Roughing it hiking and rucking alot

Buckeye67
01-22-2008, 12:58 AM
As mentioned, try using the search function and reading the various threads about boots.

TacoDelRio
01-22-2008, 02:56 AM
I can't think of anythign that WON'T work for you, at the moment.

James
01-22-2008, 06:07 AM
Vasque Sundowner Classics with Superfeet insoles. They are glorious.

AROUETLJ
01-22-2008, 09:49 AM
I recently took a leap of faith and bought a pair of Salomon Revo SCS Goretex. And I think they may be on to something here.... I haven't used them long enough to comment on durability, but support, sole traction and comfort are top notch. As for the weight, I think they're among the lightest hiking boots on the market. I'd have gone for the GCS model, but I couldn't find it anywhere in France.

BillyShears
01-22-2008, 10:18 AM
You should be able to wiggle all your piggies, but still have your heel nice and snug. Always bung 2 pair of socks on; a thinner cotton pair and your thick issue wools. Speaking of boots, I've just managed to wear out a 3 month old pair of Danners. Wank. Stick with good old go-fasters!

SuperCavitator
01-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Roughing it hiking and rucking alot

Dunham MWH901 Wafflestompers.

Lightweight ATVs for your feet. A little heavier, but sturdier, than the Salomon Revos. More supportive and flexible than the Vasque Sundowners.

bluffcove
01-22-2008, 04:05 PM
US issue dessies?
UK Junglies?

Recce_Plt
01-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Outback... probably dry and a lot of brush. Want something lightweight and comfortable that won't bake your feet... leather will be too hot and won't breath. Prolly want something like a goretex boot if you want to fork out a bunch of cash. A pair of reasonably priced Merrells or even sports shoes (Nikes or trail running shoes...) would prolly work for you. Probably want a mid high ankle to keep the rocks and crap out... or a short gaiter... and definitely want a pair of thongs for end of the day, let your feet breath.. cheap ones... search REI "hiking shoes" "hiking boots" "hiking footwear". The gucci brands are Asolo, Zamberlan, Vasque, La Sportiva, Lowa...

James
01-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Hell, get some Blundies, they've been good there for more than a hundred years.

T3ngu
01-22-2008, 06:10 PM

Blundies aren't as good as they used to be comfort wise (in some models) but they are a nice good value boot. I have 3 or 4 pairs.

bvvelzen
01-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Meindl Lhotse, a bit warm with the goretex but they feel good and last longer than one month

TacoDelRio
01-22-2008, 07:01 PM
What James said regarding Smartwool socks.

I wear several pairs of thick socks at times, depending on activity, terrian, temperature, etc.

And sometimes black toenails falling off is just part of the fun. ;)

Dspec
01-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Try a set of Taipans.

They are aussie made and designed for the bush.

http://www.highmark.com.au/

Ghostryder
01-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Word

www.blundstone.com

Carib
01-22-2008, 08:02 PM
After searching the internet and this site, I am still at odds about which brands of desert boots are most prevalent within the Canadian and UK armies. If some of the more knowledgable could enlighten me as to what boots soldiers from these two countries commonly use I would be quite appreciative.

Just some brands i.e. Altama, Bates, Belleville, Danner, etc.

Hope this isn't asking too much, thanks in advance!

PS I had a pic of a Canadian trooper sitting in some dust at an outpost eating an MRE; and it depcited the boots I'm speaking of quite well. Lost the pic :-(

DnA
01-22-2008, 08:04 PM
In Canada we are now issued the Boulet Desert Boots. Some guys who have medical chits for othodics get SWATs, Danners, Bellevilles, etc

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/5359/cimg0679et0.thdotjpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0679et0dotjpg)

I also picked up a pair of the old Altama Desert Boots; I prefer them over the new issue.

NeverDown
01-22-2008, 10:37 PM
cool. thanks for the help... im looking for somthing that looks like the Navados Traverse

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KU%2BY841EL._AA280_dotjpg

TacoDelRio
01-22-2008, 10:43 PM
If you're gonna be on yer feet constantly, running around, I'd get a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D's or similar shoes. I've put a bazillion miles on two pairs of them. Ha a pair of Merrell Chameleons which look just like what you posted, and they were absolute crap.

Whammo: http://www.argear.com/

Problem with that is you'd probably want to wear gators, since crap will get into your shoes since they're not boots, not high tops, etc.

gaijinsamurai
01-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Vasque hiking boots have worked well for me. I've worn them in Central American jungles, the Kuwaiti desert, and mountains of Oregon and Hokkaido. I've only had two pairs, because they last so long!

Ubar
01-23-2008, 03:20 AM
The new/current British issue ones are Meindl desert fox

Not sure who manufacturered the previous ones

Carib
01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Does anyone recall the pic I mentioned above... about the Canadian who is sitting against somekind of wall in a FOB, he's covered with dust and dirt eating an MRE and you can see his boots very well?

DnA
01-23-2008, 01:26 PM
Theres lots of pics like that, dunno the exact one you are referring to though. I'll search around my stuff though. I might have it.

Carib
01-23-2008, 01:37 PM
thanks for the help thus far DnA, sorry I couldn't be more specific. When I install my old hard drive later I will upload the pic...

Roy Batty
01-23-2008, 05:53 PM
A lot of guys are still being issued the "Tan JungleBoot" desert boots (myself included). They suck and contributed greatly to wrecking my left knee over the years. There is a big shortage in the CF of the new desert boots.

The SWATs ect are no longer going to be issued despite chits. The new boots are orthotic friendly and negate the need for Gucci boots.....................hence why I am force to spend $350 out of my pocket on boots for my roto!

DnA
01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
All the guys in Battalion who have a chit were able to get Desert SWATs, Danners, etc, etc.

Defanged-DDG
01-23-2008, 07:54 PM
I really can't help at all with the actual topic and subject of this thread but I think the pic of the guy eating is in this thread. It's A pic of a Canadian soldier eating, and you get a pretty good look at his boots.
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=127532

Vince S
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Wasn't the last batch of Boulet returned to manufacturer because they had major defects?

VMICadetJNA
01-23-2008, 09:55 PM
During Bulldog prep course today, the First Classmen who finished OCS last summer (6 Week Bulldog) mentioned that it would be a good idea to buy a pair of Bates Lite boots for boots and utes runs. They all highly recommended them for PT, save for one guy who said he bought a pair but preferred the issued Jungles. I was wondering if anybody here had any experience or advice on the subject ( durability, comfort, traction, weight,) basically if its worth the money. I have 10 weeks to wear them at OCS and I'd rather not make my first mistake before I get there...
Thanks.

James
01-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Don't buy anything. You'll get issued everything you need. If you want some during TBS, fine, but I don't think you'll be allowed to keep anything personally purchased during OCS.

THat said, I've been away from the FM for more than a decade now. Perhaps this is a kinder, gentler Marine Corps?

VMICadetJNA
01-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Don't buy anything. You'll get issued everything you need. If you want some during TBS, fine, but I don't think you'll be allowed to keep anything personally purchased during OCS.

THat said, I've been away from the FM for more than a decade now. Perhaps this is a kinder, gentler Marine Corps?
I can understand that, but from what I hear I'm supposed to come with a pair of boots that are already broken in, thus my predicament.
My dad actually said the same thing, that everything should be issued to you, but from what my instructors and First Classman say, i need to come with a pair of boots...

Carib
01-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I was issued a pair of Bates and Bellevilles. Only priors and active duty enlisted were told to bring their boots. All others got what they were given. Needless to say the Bates sucked and the Belleville's were much better.

You might want to try it no matter what though because trust me both pairs will get f'd up. So keep one pair that you are issued as a spare set for inspections. Make sure though that the two pair you use are different brands as the sergeant instructors routinely make you don different ones for different field activities.

Yeoman
01-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Wasn't the last batch of Boulet returned to manufacturer because they had major defects?

like being a terrible boot to begin with?
was one of the first to get issued those pieces of garbage. I'm not wearing them. just walking two km in them and you get blisters on your heels. everyone had that problem. got to the point where the Sgt-Maj gave us the okay to go out and purchase our own boots.

James
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I can understand that, but from what I hear I'm supposed to come with a pair of boots that are already broken in, thus my predicament.

I'd double check... Are there any other things you were told you were supposed to bring? Someone might be pulling your leg... ;)

Pete031
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Those new desert boots are junk. WTF is with that liner? I never wore them at all in A-Stan, just ASOLO's.
BlackHawk Warriors are GTG too.

Pete031
01-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Does anyone recall the pic I mentioned above... about the Canadian who is sitting against somekind of wall in a FOB, he's covered with dust and dirt eating an MRE and you can see his boots very well?

This the one?

Roy Batty
01-24-2008, 06:46 PM
BTW...in this fabulous age where the CF is letting most 8" black boots slide here is a site that might be of interest:

http://www.botachtactical.com/focl.html

They ship to Canada. :D

DnA
01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Those new desert boots are junk. WTF is with that liner? I never wore them at all in A-Stan, just ASOLO's.
BlackHawk Warriors are GTG too.

They keep my feet warm when I'm walking around Shilo right now... yea that can't be good for a desert boot.. ain't gonna be wearing them overseas much it at all.

LthrnckZero
01-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Unless it has changed since I went to OCS (almost 5 years ago), you should be able to still bring a pair of your own boots. I think I even took a pair of my black jungle boots, as that was back when they were still authorized.

As far as Bates, I hate them. I was issued a pair of the Bates jungle boots at OCS, and they were horribly uncomfortable. Bates didn't cover up all the seems and edges on the inside, so many people had their feet torn up. I specifically remember the heel cup on mine tore the skin off my achilles on both feet. Plus, if they got muddy(which they will) they turned a very dark, almost blackish color that no one could get rid of. Once I figured out how much they sucked, I only wore them if my Bellevilles were soaked. Bates boots were almost universally despised in my OCS company.

After OCS I went and bought a pair of Belleville jungle boots and have never worn my Bates since then. They are almost like a pair of sneakers, and are perfect for boots and utes runs. Not sure if your 1/Cs told you, but you will hardly ever do any PT gear runs at OCS. It's basically your initial and final PFT, and a few other events in between, but otherwise you will be doing PT in boots and utes the rest of the time.

LthrnckZero
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I just went back and reread your original post and I'm confused by something. You started off talking about Bulldog, which refers specifically to Golf Company during the summer and is a 6 week course. But, in the end of your post you mention 10 weeks, which is the OCC length of time. I know I went to Bulldog with VMI guys, so why are you going to the 10 week course?

Waterman
01-25-2008, 03:05 AM
x2 to Taco's reccomendation. Unless you are hauling around some big pack and you need the ankle support, a good trail runner is a much more comfortable, cool, lighter, better breathing choice.

Since the outback is mostly dry, skip anything with the gore-tex type lining. All that does is impare the feet's ability to breathe, which is crucial to comfort in the heat (and not to mention soggy socks and the foot issues they cause). Skip the cotton socks too, go with something fairly light and breatheable. Patagonia, Smartwool, DeFeet all make high quality active socks that will breathe and dry quickly. Carry a couple of pairs and change them out throughout the day to keep your feet going good. Duct tape on top of blisters/hot spots is the best way to go....not pretty, but it will keep you able to keep moving.

I am a veteran adventure racer and off road triathlete, so I do lots of runs and hikes with day packs in hot weather, and I have never felt under shoed with trail runners on. Check places like ARgear.com, REI.com, Mountaingear.com and Roadrunnersports.com for a selection.

I prefer the lightest, most breatheable shoes I can get, since they won't weigh me down at the end of a long day. Take some time to wear whatever you get around a bit before your trip so that your feet get used to them.

VMICadetJNA
01-25-2008, 08:44 AM
The VMI Bulldog Prep course, its a semester long course that is supposed to teach you basics like 5 paragraph order and to help get you in shape for the PT at OCS. of the 28 guys going to OCS this summer from VMI, I think maybe 24 of them are going to Bulldog, the rest of us are doing PLC Seniors or 10 week. I personally am doing the 10 weeker cause I guess I'm just not Hurrah enough for Bulldog.
I heard alot about the Bellevilles, I just haven't been able to find a USMC issue pair....I think I may make a trip up to Quantico Boots and try out the options.

Got any more advice?
Thanks

Carib
01-25-2008, 10:53 AM
This the one?

Unfortunately no... Now as i am remembering more about the photograph, it seems that he was reading or writing a letter... My bad

LthrnckZero
01-25-2008, 11:20 AM
This is gouge I wrote up for my underclassmen after I finished OCS. The SULE I/II section might not be the way things are done anymore, but the rest should still be true. This was almost 5 years ago and I heard that SULE has changed since then.

These notes are just my opinion of things that may or may not be important at OCS. Your experience at OCS will vary depending on when you go and especially on the way your staff runs things. With that said, don’t take this as gospel because things constantly change.

GENERAL

1. Always address people by their appropriate billet i.e. Sgt Instructor or Plt Sgt. Doing otherwise could result in an essay. For example, don’t call the Plt Sgt a Sgt Instructor. Also, know how to report in properly because you will do it many times at OCS.
2. Follow the essay format exactly; it should be posted by the scribe’s table. If you don’t follow it, you may have to write your essay again.
3. Being sick: You will get sick. There really is no avoiding the candidate crud. It is like a minor head cold. You will cough constantly and need to blow your nose often. It does not really drain you of your energy, it’s just annoying. Once you get it, accept it and move on. Don’t try to use it as an excuse, and don’t feel sorry for yourself because everybody else has the same thing.
4. Always always always lock your foot locker and wall locker and ensure that they are zeroed. Same thing with your cable lock. Also give them a yank to make sure they actually locked, especially the cable lock. If not, your stuff will be spread all around the squad bay when you get back, and an unlocked locker can destroy your eval if you are a billet holder.
5. Ensure everything you own is marked with your name in some way, unless you don’t care about losing it. Your stuff will constantly get mixed with other people’s stuff, and unless it is marked, people probably wont give it back.
6. Always plan ahead. Don’t plan on doing something at the last minute, because Murphy’s Law is the law at OCS.
7. Don’t always trust the word you receive, and don’t always assume that the schedule you are told is correct. We were told we had an exam the next day but it was actually scheduled for that day, so many people didn’t have a chance to study.
8. Carry your AP brush in your pocket for easy access. Take any opportunity to clean your weapon because it will always be dirty. Clean your weapon as soon as possible, and keep it as dry as possible because they rust very quickly.
9. Never sleep in your rack, unless you want to make it every morning. Sleep on top of your rack, using your poncho liner as a blanket if you are cold. Or, sleep in your cammies to stay warm, since that will save you time getting dressed in the morning.
10. Wake up before reveille. You wont have time to get everything done if you wait until reveille to start getting dressed and everything else you need to do in the morning.
11. The schedule says “free time” from 2100-2200 just about every night, but that pretty much never happens until later on in OCS. Most things such as writing letters are done after lights out in your rack.
12. Buy Staedtler Lumocolor permanent pens for mapping. Buy the 0.4mm version, and buy the correction pen which you have to purchase separately from the others. They are available at the PX, but considering how many other candidates want to buy them, don’t count on the PX having anything in stock.
13. Buy bore cleaning patches, otherwise you will have to use paper towels or toilet paper. You may also want to buy bore cleaner, but it’s not necessary.
14. Buy the biggest black permanent marker you can find for remarking your “G” marked PT shirts. The spray paint eventually fades and you may have to remark them.
15. If you receive a package in the mail, you have to open it in front of the Sgt Instructors. If there is food, you will get it once you are on liberty(maybe). Sgt Instructors also feel all envelopes for pictures or anything suspicious. All pictures have to be shown to the Sgt Instructor.
16. Your gear(782 gear) can be replaced if it is broken, but you have to go to supply to do it. If you lose something, you will probably have to pay for it. If you lose a BFA, you have to pay for and acquire it yourself. It costs about $21 at the army-navy store outside the main gate, so don’t lose it. Whenever you have it on your rifle, constantly check to make sure it is tight.
17. You don’t need a second pair of go fasters.
18. You do need foot spray for odor and athlete’s foot.
19. Shower at least once a day. Sounds like common sense but not everybody does it for some reason.
20. Save everything edible from your MRE’s including drink mixes. About the only things that should be discarded are the heaters and various items from the accessory packets. Save the TP, moist towelettes, and gum from the accessory packets. If there is something in your MRE that you are sure that you will not eat, trade it away for something else. Or, give it away and hope that people remember your “unselfishness” when it comes time for evals.
21. Stay awake in class and keep your buddies awake. Some instructors love to make examples of sleeping candidates, others don’t. If you are falling asleep, drink water or go through the lesson and find the answers to all the ELO’s.
22. For exams, the ELO’s are the test questions. Watch out for ELO’s that say to select the events leading up to something, or are just generally broad. Those are usually the hard questions because that ELO may cover a page or two of info.
23. Wear your black boots whenever allowed, especially when they may get dirty. The new boots are extremely hard to get clean and take forever to dry. Bring a suede eraser or regular eraser, it helps mildly to clean the new boots. Also, some of the new jungle boots will turn to a grayish color when they get dirty and there really isn’t much you can do about it. Also, the new jungle boots are about useless. I never wore mine after about week 3. Put a set of boot inserts in the new ICB’s and they are almost like a pair of regular shoes. Others have expressed the exact opposite feeling about the new boots, saying they love the jungles but hate the ICB’s. Personally, I feel the ICB’s are much more comfortable, with a great deal more padding in the sole.
24. Shoot as few blanks as possible. It makes it much easier to clean your rifle later on. There are some motivators who want to shoot blanks all the time, so you could give your blanks to them. At the end of a session where blanks are fired(such as the combat course, or SULE problems), there will always be extra blanks that have to be fired. They will ask for volunteers to shoot off the extras, or may just pick people to do it. If they look your way when they are trying to pick people to fire off the extras, make yourself invisible.
25. Don’t blow off practice events because your score on that practice event could be used for your real score should the real event be cancelled. This happened for my company on the night land nav, and almost happened for the E-Course.
26. TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET. Your feet will get beat to hell and will adversely affect most other aspects of your performance at OCS.
27. Don’t be an ass kisser, but do your best to impress the platoon commander. His final command evaluation is worth 25%, which is just as much as your overall PT score and your academic GPA.
28. Always be studying the candidate regs, or at least look like you are studying them. It keeps the staff off your ass for the most part, and you need to know pretty much everything in there anyway.
29. Platoon Commanders are not your friends. They can be, and often are, just as mean as the Sgt Instructors and Plt Sgts. Don’t expect them to treat you any differently because they are officers.
30. Sling arms is the only carry allowed on humps. Don’t carry your rifle down by your side with your thumb through the carry handle and fingers around the slip ring. This could result in an essay.
31. The OCS motto should be changed from “Ductus Exemplo” to “Too Many Chiefs, Too Few Indians”. It gets pretty annoying because everyone thinks they have the right answer and wants to take charge. This is especially true during drill.
32. Know how to roll your sleeves. It’s just one more thing for people to think you are nasty if you don’t do it properly.
33. Dirt in your muzzle is a major time penalty(5 minutes if I remember correctly) on most graded courses such as the CRT and E-Course. You will have a chance to wash your muzzle in the ford towards the end of each.
34. If it’s on the packing list for a ****, take it. If they decide to check packs and you don’t have something, it could be considered an integrity violation. This didn’t happen, at least that I saw, and I didn’t have everything for every ****. But, it’s a possibility so I’d make every effort to take everything.
35. If you wash your cammie cover or boonie and then dry it in the dryer, it will shrink significantly.
36. Mark the top of the seat of your campstool in some unique way. I accidentally spilled a bunch of brown cammie paint on mine during the day land nav, but it made it much easier to find when my campstool was in the middle of a company of campstools.
37. If you learn it during bulldog, you’re going to see it again at OCS. So, to make your life easier, you may want to be as solid on that information as possible before you arrive at OCS. That way, you can focus more on new material or things you are struggling with instead of relearning old information.
38. Know your map junk.
39. When preparing for OCS, do as much of your PT in boots and utes as possible. Besides the PFT’s, only one or two runs at OCS are in PT gear, everything else is boots and utes or full utilities. Running is the most important aspect of PT, and falling out of a run is like wearing a big sign that says “hit me on evals”.
40. When you are issued gear, look at it carefully to make sure it functions properly. You can get it replaced later, but not soon enough and it is annoying.
41. Plt Sgts wear black belts, Sgt Instructors wear green belts. Learn it, and don’t forget it.
42. POV to OCS if at all possible. Otherwise, you are bumming a ride or paying for a cab when you have liberty.
43. Do not bring any type of drugs i.e. medication or vitamins, you wont get to keep it.
44. You will be “issued”(meaning you will purchase) 9 PT shirts, 6 pairs of boot socks, and 6 pairs of dress socks. Also, 2 web belts with brass tips(not anodized) and one set of PT sweats.
45. Bring a small but useful pair of scissors i.e. big enough to cut through web belts and boot inserts. The sewing kit you are issued has a pair of scissors, but they’re about as useful as a life preserver made of cement.
46. There is no need to bring civie underwear because the only time you can wear it is during liberty. Just wear a pair of silkies as underwear, or if you are so inclined, you are issued 3 pairs of white briefs so you can wear them instead.
47. To save your dignity, only let the OCS staff know that you require glasses if you can not function without them. Otherwise, you’ll be wearing the ugliest glasses known to man.
48. Some of the classroom instructors at OCS seem to know very little about what they are teaching. If what the instructor says goes against what it said in your knowledge book, go with the book. Also, consult your fellow candidates if you are unsure about something because chances are, one of them knows if what the instructor is saying is true or not. For example, the land nav instructor for my company didn’t know what a 1:25,000 scale map was. Just try not to laugh too loudly at the instructor when he screws up something and every candidate in the room knows he’s wrong.

LthrnckZero
01-25-2008, 11:22 AM
Continued.....

2. SULE I/II

1. Practice writing your skeleton now. If you have a free minute, write one out. Or, if you can’t stay awake during one of the classes, write out a skeleton. You need to be able to write the skeleton as easy as if you were signing your name. Remember, you only have 2 minutes to do it during SULE II.
2. In the 5 paragraph order, write TSUALE instead of SALUTE. The situation is read in that order and it makes things much easier to write things in the appropriate place.
3. Waterproof notebooks(the green ones) really are waterproof. I accidentally left mine in my pocket during one of the courses where you get soaked(IMC I think), but it was fine. You can actually take them in the shower and scrub the dirt off and they’ll be fine. The problem is that regular pens don’t always write that well on the green paper. The map pens work pretty well until they get wet, and then they are completely useless. They can be dried out, but it’s annoying. Sweat from my hand got my waterproof notebook paper wet while I was writing my order for SULE II, so I missed the entire RTO while I was trying to dry my map pen. I heard of people using a regular lead pencil with their green notebooks and not having trouble, but I don’t know. Some people used laminated paper and a grease pencil for writing their order, which seemed to work well. Grease pencils are available in Q-town.
4. Make sure your weapon is condition 4 when you go to make your report.
5. Adequately camouflage your skin. Also, camouflage you gear with leaves and such. They don’t tell you that your gear has to be camouflaged, but you will lose points on your problem if it isn’t. Camouflage is continuous as much of it will either fall off or sweat off. If you don’t continuously fix it, your nice fancy cammie paint job will pretty much be gone in a few hours.
6. During SULE II, you will do 3 SULE problems between each LRC run, then it repeats. LRC runs really suck. If you want to be in the same squad with someone during SULE, fall in behind them when you have your huge company formation when you set your campstools down.
7. LRC runs are timed, but I didn’t hear of anyone failing the LRC run. I think it’s just part of your overall score for your LRC problem.
8. After the company finishes SULE II, the atmosphere at OCS becomes noticeably more relaxed. This means less yelling, Sgt Instructor games, and just general B.S.

3. LAUNDRY

1. Mark all your clothing with either a laundry pen(rub-a-dub) or your marking kit. Pretty much everything else washes out. This is especially important for your cammies. Cammies will become “lost” in the wash, and if your cammies aren’t marked then too bad.
2. Do laundry as often as possible, even if it’s only a set of pt gear.

4. LIBERTY

1. THOROUGHLY iron your civies before you try to go on your first liberty. Your civies must be clean, wrinkle free, and not frayed at the bottom. Hopefully your trousers are not pleated in the front, because they are virtually impossible to get the wrinkles out of. Whenever you try to go on your first liberty, don’t expect to get out of there at 1600. A Sgt Instructor has to approve your civilian attire before you can leave, and no matter how perfect you think your stuff is, they’ll find something wrong every time for about the first hour of trying to check out. As time passes, the Sgt Instructor’s standards slowly get relaxed and eventually everyone gets to leave. I didn’t get to check out until around 1800 or 1830. I also had to borrow a pair of trousers from a guy that was approved to leave. So, once someone’s civies are ok’d, start borrowing trousers.
2. Liberty technically goes until 1600 on Sundays, but there is an accountability formation at 1530. So, that means you really need to plan on getting back to the squad bay around 1500. Don’t try to time getting back down to the last minute, because traffic in the area sucks, especially on 95.
3. Fire watch goes on liberty, so don’t make any huge plans for liberty because it goes quickly. Fire watch also goes during liberty on family day. So, either find a friend to take your watch for free, pay somebody to take it, or suck it up. The going rate for taking a watch seemed to be around $50-$60.
4. Priorities on liberty should be a good meal or five and some rest, drinking should not. Do not plan on driving far or doing physical activity. Liberty is your time to be lazy and recover, take advantage of it.
5. Don’t plan on buying anything candidate related at the PX while on liberty. Chances are, a bunch of other candidates need the same thing and the PX is always out of exactly what you need.

5. CHOW HALL

1. Eat as much as possible in the chow hall, you will constantly be hungry. Get a variety of foods such as salad, fruit, and desert. Also, don’t be afraid to drink something other than water at the chow hall. Take napkins from the chow hall because there is never TP in the head by the chow hall, and never paper towels to blow your nose with.

6. INSPECTIONS

1. When the regs say fold your PT shirts 6x6 and your shorts 4x4, make sure they are exactly those dimensions. A quarter inch more or less may be acceptable, but probably not. This is especially important for the Sgt Instructor’s inspection, as not having the proper dimensions means an improper display.
2. You need 3 PT shirts, 3 silkies, and 4 pairs of boot socks for your wall locker display. Take the best you have of each(preferably brand new, never worn), mark them, fold them, and put them in your wall locker. Push them to the back of your wall locker, so all you have to do is pull them for ward for inspection. Otherwise, never touch them, never wear them, and especially make sure they are clean.(yes, there were actually people who used dirty clothes for their wall locker display.)
3. Don’t leave extra hangers in your wall locker during inspection.
4. Set aside a towel and washcloth for your towel display. Again, make sure to never use them, and make sure they are not dirty. Don’t let anything touch them, especially your 782 gear, rifle, and Kevlar, because that crap is always dirty.
5. Anodized belts/buckles are not allowed for inspections. You are issued two brass tipped belts and buckles. Although anodized is not allowed, I wore them for all inspections and didn’t get hit for it. However, some people did, so it’s your call whether to risk it.
6. Any rust on your weapon is an automatic failure.
7. Pay particular attention to the buttplate of your weapon. It’s one of the easiest things for inspectors to hit you on.
8. Cover your entire weapon in a light coat of CLP, even the buttstock. It makes for a nice “clean” look. However, be very careful not to use too much CLP, because you will get hit for that.

VMICadetJNA
01-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Wow man, thanks, I had alot of questions answered there. Just a few questions that I can never seem to get an answer to: 1) the E-Course and what does it entail? 2) LRC Runs, physical runs? 3) What was your opinion of the VMI guys at OCS?
Its funny though, some of the stuff you mentioned like the "candidate crud" brings back fond memories of the "Barracks Plague" here at VMI. Also your comments on the Inspections reminded me of when I was a rat and as a joke some one Sharpie-d skid marks on my display skivvies, you can never switch them out fast enough....
Seriously, thank you...

LthrnckZero
01-25-2008, 02:19 PM
A lot of the courses at OCS are similar, so don't quote me on this, but this is what I remember the E-Course to be. Starts off with a single run of the O-Course, in boots and utes. Throw on your deuce gear, rifle, and (maybe) helmet. Start running through the woods for a total of about 5 miles(I think) with various stops along the way. Some of the stops are for rope climbs or crawling over various things. I think there might even be a cargo net in there. There's more to it than that but I honestly can't remember it all.

LRC runs are runs from wherever your SULE bivuoac site is to the Leadership Reaction Course. Again, a couple miles of running with gear and rifle to the LRC, do an LRC problem, then run back to bivy site. The idea is that you're tired, hot, and pissed off, so they want to see how you operate under these conditions when you go do LRC problems.

I can only remember one VMI guy at OCS, and I think I had met him a year earlier at CAX. He was fine. I don't recall anything spectacular one way or the other about him, so I can't really give any worthwhile comments about my experience with VMI guys in general. Probably the only school that I can say consistently turned out top performers was the Citadel.

Edit to Add: E-Course=Endurance Course and O-Course=Obstacle Course

VMICadetJNA
01-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Probably the only school that I can say consistently turned out top performers was the Citadel

thanks but ouch.
thank you very much for taking the time to explain this. Unfortunatly, I hate the ropes....
but i dont have much of a choice.
anyway thanks.

Tracker 23A
01-26-2008, 01:52 AM
Good pair of boots: Safari (Desert Fox) by Meindl

http://www.ajbrooks.com/qs/product/40/2357/176042/0/0

Carib
01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj21/HolDanAfg/h5dotjpg
What kind of boots is this Dane wearing???

acetrenbo100
02-05-2008, 09:59 PM
http://www.sovietairborne.com/Site%20Art/Sneaker1dotjpg http://www.sovietairborne.com/Site%20Art/Sneaker2dotjpg
look this chinese adidas,i don't if this real in afghanistan
somebody know where sell copy of this item

02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
http://www.sovietairborne.com/Site%20Art/Sneaker1dotjpg http://www.sovietairborne.com/Site%20Art/Sneaker2dotjpg
look this chinese adidas,i don't if this real in afghanistan
somebody know where sell copy of this item

go to the mall.

acetrenbo100
02-07-2008, 08:22 PM
http://www.sovietairborne.com/Site%20Art/SneakerAfgh1dotjpg
BACKGROUND:
Because of the harsh, mountainous terrain of Afghanistan, regular military issued boots destroyed soldiers' feet. Chinese copies of the Adidas sneaker in the photographs below started to be used by soldiers. These were much more forgiving than the stiff, leather boots. We allow these sneakers to be worn for any event in lieu of boots, but you must have a pair of either jump or jack boots first before getting these. Below is an account from a Soviet veteran of the War in Afghanistan.
look this site www.sovietairborne.com/Equipment.html (http://www.sovietairborne.com/Equipment.html)
you go to mall for buy bubblegum

baker company
02-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi guys--
I'm about to pick up some USMC Bates Gore-tex boots (cosmetic seconds) for winter use, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how they compare to Bellevilles for size. I have a pair of hot weather Bellevilles, so that's my reference point. Anyone with experience with both know whether one manufacturer runs a little larger/smaller than the other?

Thanks in advance...

Edit: Nevermind...general consensus seems to be that Bates are sh1t, so I think I'll pass it up and stick to my trusty Dakota workboots. Mods, feel free to delete this...

Kvakva
02-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Hello,
Ok need a pair of good boots. I think something alongside Magnum and Belleville:
Did anyone have any experience with :
Hi-Tec MAGNUM 'Elite' II 8 ????
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5012/023006magnumeliteiiwpwu0dotjpg

I have a pair of Hi-Tech MAGNUM 'Response' (6 months) but they are starting to die on me (i have a suspicion that i've got a bad pair). A friend of mine has Magnums and they are okey dokey (1 year old).

Or should i just go for Belleville 700 USAF

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4001/belleville700vluy3dotjpg

I've done a search on boots and most of replies here on Magnums - they are crap. I need them maily for mud rain etc. autumn /spring

Wall
02-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Danner Striker, try these, very good, high quality, you are satisfied if you buy these:
http://www.finnrappel.fi/DannerStrikerPicturedotjpg

Hippo
02-10-2008, 12:31 PM
there was a huge thread on boots awhile back. perhaps you should try the search function

Laconian
02-10-2008, 12:37 PM
IMO, Magnums for a filed boot would be crap. Even the Danner Strykers are a little too light for a mud/field environment. Danner Acadias would be great. I don't have any personal experience with the Bellevilles, but folks that I know that wear them think they are great. Matterhorns are sturdy as well.

James
02-10-2008, 12:53 PM
http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/search.php?searchid=1478521

Wow, I used the search function and look what I found!

:roll:

Jed Meyers
02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm going to reverse the question a little bit. I'm planning to buy my first pair of "military" boots, which would be Belleville 790s. The question is how do I compare their size to my casual wear sneaker's size. I've got a couple pairs of Vans shoes and all of them are size 9. My foot is about 26.5 cm (10.43 inches) long. Would belleville's size 9 fit? Thanks.

Midn./Patriot
02-12-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm going to reverse the question a little bit. I'm planning to buy my first pair of "military" boots, which would be Belleville 790s. The question is how do I compare their size to my casual wear sneaker's size. I've got a couple pairs of Vans shoes and all of them are size 9. Foot is about 9.92 inches (25.2 cm) long. Would belleville's size 9 fit? Thanks.

Welcome to the forum Jed.

I wear size 11 running shoes, and have a pair of Belleville Steel Toe boots that are size 11R. Just make sure you can wiggle your toes in them, and that your toes are not against the end of the shoe.

Trying them on before buying is ideal.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/Midshipmen-Activities/aab.sizeddotjpg

Jed Meyers
02-12-2008, 10:52 AM

Thank you

Don't think it's possible over where I live :)
Anyway I think if I will not be sure about the correct size it would be better for me to wait couple months 'till my visit to the US.

orbitaljg
02-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Can someone please tell me who makes this boots, thanks.

Hippo
02-14-2008, 01:52 PM
is this for a "loadout?"

orionhawk
02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Blood Diamond boots?

kutter
02-14-2008, 02:02 PM
They look like Merrells.
http://www.merrell.com/

Meteor
02-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Asolo Fugitive GTX, I have a pair, great boots :)

orbitaljg
02-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks Meteor!!!

dave81
02-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Almost a dumb question, but I have seen a lot of pics of Special operators wearing those. I almost bought some when I discovered my local camping outfitters store had them in stock, but found them too uncomfortable for my feet when I actually tried them on.

James
02-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Almost a dumb question, but I have seen a lot of pics of Special operators wearing those. I almost bought some when I discovered my local camping outfitters store had them in stock, but found them too uncomfortable for my feet when I actually tried them on.

So... What was your question?

Trillium
02-24-2008, 05:05 PM

I wear size 11 running shoes, and have a pair of Belleville Steel Toe boots that are size 11R. Just make sure you can wiggle your toes in them, and that your toes are not against the end of the shoe.

http://media.militaryphotos.net/photos/albums/Midshipmen-Activities/aab.sizeddotjpg

Those are 800ST at the picture in 11R size ? Actually , i am dealing with the same problem, need to by a pair of those on the web (can not get those here).

Can you measure the length of the insole from these one?

stottman
02-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Trying them on is a must. Not an option.

Military boot sizes (the actual size, not what is written) vary by model, manufacturer, and even the lot...

Jed Meyers
02-27-2008, 08:28 AM
You're so right. The size 9.0R Belleville 790s I've got recently were huge.
Luckily I've been able to sell them the next day because it would've been a pain in the ... to ship them back to US for a free size exchange. I've ordered a pair which is one size smaller. Hope they would fit.

p$ycho+log!cal
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
ok my friend works in construction and he really need good boots.
since we have snow here i suggested him some goretex one.
would you please give me some advice about the best quality/price relation boots? price doesnt really mather as long as its not like 1k

its about -20 Celcius here so he need something for rain/cold protection

any suggestion?

thanks

Trunk_Monkey
03-01-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm assuming a steel toe wouldn't be minded for the intended role. With steel toe but no insulation, Belleville 700ST, or 800ST. If insulation is required/desired, maybe the Belleville 880 ST, it has 200grams thinsulate. I recommend this brand of boots because they're the best I've ever bought. A little heavy perhaps, but if you aren't rucking it you should be fine.

Fintin
03-01-2008, 07:10 PM
http://www.redwingshoes.com/

Ask no more questions. If you need a boot, they are the boot you need.

digrar
03-01-2008, 07:42 PM
http://www.steelblue.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=7

Worlds most comfortable safety boot. (http://www.steelblue.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=86)

Steel blue, best work boots ever, as used by every man and his dog in the Western Australian mining industry.

helomech
03-01-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.redwingshoes.com/

Ask no more questions. If you need a boot, they are the boot you need.

X123456789

Albatross
03-01-2008, 08:41 PM
What he needs is a plane ticket, due south.......

Zentrum Jagdkampf
03-02-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.jallatte.fr/marques/jallatte.asp

Jallate Jalaska, I use them on the drilling rig.

Vince S
03-02-2008, 06:43 PM
ok my friend works in construction and he really need good boots.
since we have snow here i suggested him some goretex one.
would you please give me some advice about the best quality/price relation boots? price doesnt really mather as long as its not like 1k

its about -20 Celcius here so he need something for rain/cold protection

any suggestion?

thanks

I used some good ol' Royer when I was working in a woodmill and had to go outside often, can't remember the model though. They were pretty confy and lasted a good 3 years.

One of my friend has these for 2 years and I might be trying them out
http://www.danner.com/product/work+boots/protective+toe/striker+side+zip+gtx+nmt+8%27%27.do

But since he's in construction (prolly Mtl) he defenetly need to use goretes boots, especially considering the **** load of snow we got this year, srping is going to be "wet" to say the least.

Sneeker
03-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I've got a pair of danner's and plan on getting them in steel toe. They are great I love them. 3 years and running.

Another great boot I own are Terra boots Combat II. More of a work boot then the name implyes. But a great boot.

Evidently Both boots are used by the Canadian Military I have noticed.

Vince S
03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Any good comments about the COmbat II? Some shop as a sale on these right now and prices are really really good, plus my work boots did their time...

digrar
03-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Terra make the Australian Army boot, universally hated.

Vince S
03-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Combat II are civilian boots are far as I know (even though the name is misleading)

digrar
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Terra make a boot that probably 8 or 9 out of 10 digs don't want to wear. That's all I'm saying.

Netfleur
03-03-2008, 07:48 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/home.jsp

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/81/24/31/i812431sq01dotjpg

p$ycho+log!cal
03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
thanks guys! im sure this will help us!

Sneeker
03-05-2008, 03:50 AM
Any good comments about the COmbat II? Some shop as a sale on these right now and prices are really really good, plus my work boots did their time...

they are a good work boot. I've hade a pair for 3 years and no problems, not as comfortable as my Danners but that can be fixed with a good insole.
If they are a good price i would say buy them.

boreal
03-05-2008, 04:12 AM
http://www.bestard.com/fotos/5402_450dotjpg

Bestard makes nice boots

Sneeker
03-05-2008, 04:21 AM
that is a nice boot.

Eztyga
03-05-2008, 04:44 AM
I run those Steel Blue boots, way better than the boots we get issued. I have a pair of the Gladstones with those surplus store zip-up inserts to save time when putting them on in an emergency or exercise.

Ezy

http://www.steelblue.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=66

thirteenfoxtrot
03-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Whites Boots
http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/store/product.php?category=Boots&id=701
The Original Smoke Jumper

http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/assets/db/photos/products/full/45c76f16b4a41_Original-Smoke-Jumperdotjpg

digrar
03-06-2008, 04:26 AM
That's ^ a work boot? Dodgy looking heal, I wouldn't want to wear that at any of the places I've worked, I'd end up **** over tit.

thirteenfoxtrot
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
What do smoke jumpers do for a living? I'm an arborist and White's are the best made, longest lasting most comfortable boots I've ever owned.

Britboy
03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey there, hope our resident Finns can point me in the right direction,

Was just out dog walking in wellies, nothing too stenuous but a few hills, but wellies give no ankle support at all!

I remember reading a thread here about cold weather boots or mukluks or whatever, where it was mentioned the FDF wear 'rubber boots' instead of combat boots in poor weather. Eh?

Are the FDF boots different, reinforced in some way? Or do Finns just possess ankles of iron?

Slightly sad question from me I know, but m'eh :roll:

Kaapeli
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Well the newest version claims to have improved stiffness. But I didn't have any problems with the older ones either. They are designed for -40 C with the removable felt-liner.
Since I don't have any experience with foreign rubberboots (only Nokia made like this army boot) I can't really compare.

Anyway here's two pictures of the new boot if it helps
http://www.kumitehdas.fi/image/3249
http://www.kumitehdas.fi/image/3248

Smartenheimer
03-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't remember the lighter summer version of the rubber boots having any special reinforcement for the ankle. They were more durable and heavier rubber than my "slick" and smooth civilian nokias. The winter version of the boot was more sturdier and offered better support for the ankles too. I remember how some stupid NCO's were real show-offs with their awesome "I don't have to wear what the grunts wear" attitude and decided to wear normal leather M91 combat boots to an combat exercise and ended up getting their legs full of swamp **** water. Staying dry is important especially during winter. You learned to appreciate the rubber boots. :D

Britboy
03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Cheers gents, seems they are just regular wellies then. Although you seem to get a felt inner, ah well I can hunt down a big pair of old 'seaboot stockings' to do that job.

It just seems odd to me that you could march and fight in wellies. Our rubber boots feel 'squishy' so my ankles would be all over! Plus my feet bang around inside wellies, but I s'pose that means I need to get a better-fitting pair!

Don't you find your feet sweating like mad inside all the rubber though, and when they do get wet surely being rubber they never dry out? There again ski boots are plastic too and people don't complain about them...

My feet are always ice cold in winter, especially in the normal issue leather combat boots, but most people I know buy Lowas for the bad weather:
http://www.rvops.co.uk/military-footwear-87/lowa-boots-84/gore-tex-lined-lowa-combat-boots-507.html

Interesting stuff anyway, after all I imagine Finnish troops have to be switched on with arctic kit, I don't think I will get away with wellies on exercise, but I will try them out on the hills!

Have any of you used mukluks, I think they are a more fabric-like type of boot with a felt inside? Although I'm not sure they are for cold wet but rather for cold-dry type climates?

Kaapeli
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Don't you find your feet sweating like mad inside all the rubber though, and when they do get wet surely being rubber they never dry out? There again ski boots are plastic too and people don't complain about them...

It's almost inevitable that your feet sweat in the field no matter what you wear even with goretex boots. Socks should be worn in several layers. It's easier to adjust to the cold by adding or removing layers and to change the wet layers without the boots themselves getting too wet.
Of course after every field day socks and felt liners are removed and dried.

And no, it's not very confortable to march in rubber boots but it's really the swampy/wet forrest or thick snow they are meant for when normal combat boots don't offer enough insulation.

CouchCommando
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Muck lucks would get wet in an instant. Wet feet -> frozen feet -> no feet in -20 degrees Celsius. Also i don't know what kind of rubber boots you have where you come from, but around here they are lined only with a cotton cloth and dry in an instant, unlike leather boots. Some support can be achieved with proper thick boot socks. That said, the army rubber boots suck a** in just about every aspect except in keeping your feet dry, which in the long run is the only thing that really matter anyway.

Sweating and other discomforts are hardly dangerous, you'll just need to harden the fcuck up :)

Basillicus
03-17-2008, 05:52 PM
I had pretty good experiences with those too, especially because we didn't have to march that much (arty ftw :)). During the midsummer they were hot like hell but rest of the year usually better than the leather boots. Nowadays they are especially good because all this global warming and ****, it seems it now can be anything between +10 to -40 during the winter and rubber boots have the best versatility. Mostly though I had both rubber and leather boots with me in the field so I could change them depending on weather. I don't know if we would have such luxury during war time or would we be just issued with a pair of rubber boots (well, of course then one could use his own gear).

Romeo98
03-25-2008, 08:41 PM
http://www.blackhawk.com/images/catalog/83BT03_0BIGdotJPG

http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=83BT03&C=C0864

Blackhawk! Warrior Wear Black Ops Boots

http://www.blackhawk.com/images/site/pd_underlinedotgif

Does anyone have any experience with them?
Thinking of it as my next boot...

I've had mine for over six months now and even though I am not in the military I've used mine for work (I do maintenance work), hiking among other things since I bought them.

They look sexy and comfort wise the feel like the are the mating between a hiking boot and a sneaker. Very comfortable and very light.

The cons, I've found that they can get torn pretty easily, I had to repair tears on a couple different occasions, the soles wear down quickly and the Desert Ops model is not waterproof.

I personally like them fine, but I think they could be sturdier...

Anybody else has had any other experiences?

LT08
04-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Can anyone identify these boots (brand and model)? They were used by the USMC before they switched to MARPAT and brown combat boots.
http://flickr.com/photos/94146534@N00/2388234549/in/photostream/
http://flickr.com/photos/94146534@N00/2388234409/in/photostream/ http://www.flickr.com/9414634@N00/2388234549/

04-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Doesn't look like the Bellvilles I was issued.

James
04-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Can anyone identify these boots (brand and model)? They were used by the USMC before they switched to MARPAT and brown combat boots.

Having been in the USMC prior to the MARPAT and brown boot era (and, I might add, the Belleville boot era) I can assure you that those boots were not used by the USMC. Someone might have gotten away with wearing them for a time, but they were not issued.

We wore either all leather combat boots, black jungle boots, or green jungle boots.

the_hog
04-05-2008, 09:40 AM
For chrissakes hav'nt you seen blood diamond?

flanker7
04-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Prior to the "Belleville era", weren't Altama's All Leather and Jungle boots pretty much the standard among the US Military? Either with "Lung-sole" or "Panama-sole"

James
04-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Prior to the "Belleville era", weren't Altama's All Leather and Jungle boots pretty much the standard among the US Military? Either with "Lung-sole" or "Panama-sole"

Yes. Some personnel wore different boots (pilots, USAF/USN) but the majority of us wore regular combat/jungle boots.

Trunk_Monkey
04-05-2008, 12:58 PM
They look like Corcorans to me

eR_Skaarj
04-07-2008, 02:59 AM
I looking for new boots, for mountain terain, long range patrols (30km and more) in heavy terain - and my favorite is Mojave from matterhorn. What do you think about this boots? Is it good for me? And is it good for easier terain? Or do you think any alternative boots will better?
Thanks for advices.

James
04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Have you looked at civvie styles/brands? I'm partial to Vasque, but Lowe, Merrell, and a host of other boot makers have some really great products out.

Trenk
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
look on Garmont tactical multiterrain, if you prefer lighter boots because your feet are sweating...

Britboy
04-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I'm wearing a pair of Columbia 'Frontier Peak GTX' at the mo... not for mil stuff tho!

They are the mutts nuts, goretex, lightweight, comfy as walking on the breasts of a Havana virgin every step, and they come in browny-coloured suede & fabric too. They're an ankle boot so I think v suitable for mountains (won't restrict the tendons at back of ankle, right)?

If you can get away with wearing them for mil stuff (dont have to wear black leather issue or issue-looking boots), I'd consider them.

Was a little wary buying Columbia as I know theyre not a traditional bootmaker (as opposed to Meindl, Scarpa etc) but v v pleased with the results!

eR_Skaarj
04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Have you looked at civvie styles/brands? I'm partial to Vasque, but Lowe, Merrell, and a host of other boot makers have some really great products out.

I looked for somethink mil/style. But maybe... I'll take civ. style... Im not resolved.

4 Trenk: yea, I have "women" narrow feet - so I looking for somethink comfortable. And the Garmont multi terrain T8 looks really good.

4 Britboy: this boots is too "civi"... but good (i think one of my friends have it).

The One and Only
04-16-2008, 04:02 AM
What kind of Combat Boots are these ? i see alot of Serbian Soldiers from Serb Armed Forces wear them and some parts of Bosnia, Macedonia, and Croatia, does anyone know where they are made and who makes them ???

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7136/070911vezba20vs20i20kfodo7dotjpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2393/mthsm83e1jl6nm9mn0dotjpg (http://imageshack.us)

Kachinjsh
04-16-2008, 04:10 AM
What kind of Combat Boots are these ? i see alot of Serbian Soldiers from Serb Armed Forces wear them and some parts of Bosnia, Macedonia, and Croatia, does anyone know where they are made and who makes them ???
I believe it's offtopic from here, but these are French boots, if I'm right.

The One and Only
04-16-2008, 04:17 AM
I believe it's offtopic from here, but these are French boots, if I'm right.

okey if ur gonna be like that, then forget about it

The One and Only
04-16-2008, 06:34 PM
i see alot of balkan state have these, Many serb soldiers wear them, what country makes these boots and y do so many balkan states only use them ??

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5403/mthsm83e1jl6nm9mn0bo8dotjpg (http://imageshack.us)

Buckeye67
04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
They look like a pattern of boot that was widely issued to troops from various Warsaw Pact countries. I've seen Poles, Czechs, Bulgarians, East Germans (paratroopers) & Yugoslavians wearing them.

Similar patterns of boot has also been worn by western nations as well, the French particularly. Even the United States issued a similar type boot in the latter part of WW2.

I'm sure that the reason they're so common in the Balkans is largely due to the fact that they were standard issue in the militaries of the Warsaw Pact nations that the current countries were born of.

For example, here's a pic from the Warsaw Pact Forces thread (http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101350) in the photos section:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19824&d=1167771926

Four of the six guys pictured there are wearing that type of boot.

The One and Only
04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
They look like a pattern of boot that was widely issued to troops from various Warsaw Pact countries. I've seen Poles, Czechs, Bulgarians, East Germans (paratroopers) & Yugoslavians wearing them.

Similar patterns of boot has also been worn by western nations as well, the French particularly. Even the United States issued a similar type boot in the latter part of WW2.

I'm sure that the reason they're so common in the Balkans is largely due to the fact that they were standard issue in the militaries of the Warsaw Pact nations that the current countries were born of.

For example, here's a pic from the Warsaw Pact Forces thread (http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101350) in the photos section:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19824&d=1167771926

Four of the six guys pictured there are wearing that type of boot.

well thank you very much !!! what else can you tell me about them, whats there reputions, are they conftroble, do they wear out faster then other pairs ???

Buckeye67
04-16-2008, 07:03 PM
Can't help you there, mate. I've never had to wear them. :)