PDA

View Full Version : Best M4 Brand

Mike05
07-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey, im looking to buy an M4 style gun but in not sure which brand is the best and most reliable; Colt, Bushmaster, Olympic arms, DPMS..etc. and lets say i don't live in Cali and my budget is around $850 to $900.

Creeper
07-04-2006, 01:41 AM
Your profile is void of any per. info so,,,, I would recommend you to chk out and read> AR15.com

Have the best day ever.

This is a Public Service Announcement: Read the following:http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76491

UNDERDOG1
07-04-2006, 01:43 AM
COLT is generally reviewed (and revered) as the best ar15 brand.

Mountain Man
07-04-2006, 02:19 AM
I'm a Colt guy and that is what we issue in my department. I like Colt because for me they are proven (in our department and training with them, specifically my duty weapon) and I'd put my life on the line with any of my Colts. Plus I'm an armorer for Colt so I'm kinda biased. That said I inherited a Bushmaster and like to shoot it for fun also. Depends on what you want it for, how much you are willing to spend, and what you expect out of it. If its a range gun for messing around with buy what works. If its a duty gun for life and death buy what you are comfortable carrying and what works for you.

ramy98
07-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Colt/STAG/Bushmaster

Buy any rifle from these three manufacturers and you will be a happy guy

ramy
07-04-2006, 02:41 AM
I forgot to note... You are in California so you may be limited with your choices.... Colt and Bushmaster are off limits to Californians I believe... I think you might be able to get STAGS as the Cali Justice Dept hasnt put them on the banned list yet.. I think....

SMGLee
07-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Who makes the best mid size sedan?

BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Acura, Mitsu???????

It is a very broad question with out any supporting stateent as to what you are actually looking for?

As a Kalifornia resident, you are not entitled to own a AR15, unless you build it with a fixed magazine or minus the pistol grip.

as far as receiver....

You may look to the following companies...

Superior Arms
Stag

Those are quality receivers that are still available in California.

As far as Oly, Bushmaster, Colt, you are SOL.

scrybe
07-04-2006, 05:01 AM
He doesn't live in Cali SMGLee.

(And I don't mean to correct you rudely, I just know you will be able to give better advice in the long run that I would.)

SMGLee
07-04-2006, 05:13 AM
He doesn't live in Cali SMGLee.

(And I don't mean to correct you rudely, I just know you will be able to give better advice in the long run that I would.)

Roger that, I just saw the location... California.

If you live somewhere free... your best choice is Colt...then LMT, Stag, Bushmaster or Superior Arms.

DPMS and Oly is more like somewhere between second and third tier with Oly really close on being third tier.

Colt and FN is tier one, Bushmaster, Rockriver, LMT, Stag, Superior Arms are more like second tier and so on so forth.. Avoid Hess or Vulcan.

A lot of AR manufacture actually don't make thier parts, they out source.. there are only a few true manufacture like Stag/CMT, LMT, Colt, FN... FN only sell to military, any FN stuff you see on the market are not real FN parts or it is reject by FN and return to the sub contractor.

Hpe thisw helps.

If i did not mention someone's favorite AR, please don't have a cow, I am getting old and my memory is fainting. :)

Hispeed1
07-04-2006, 11:46 AM
California RULES!

yiorgo
07-04-2006, 01:42 PM
forget colt(****)....bushmaster is ok....DPMS the same ok....but if I had to buy a M4(save your money a little bit more and buy a LW gas piston upper M4) I would send my money to Rock river arms

Frens
07-04-2006, 02:11 PM
Colt, Bushy, Stag, RRA.

another good solution could be to built one yourself. CMMG and Bravo Co. offer high quality complete upper receivers ;-)

get one with a chrome lined barrel

Durandal
07-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Pre-ban Colts will cost ya...

Go Rock River or Stag...those will be in your price range and as good as anything Bushmaster, Armalite, FN, or Colt will produce...

ITS AN AR...

Unless you are looking for a match grade rifle, who cares.

Hispeed1
07-04-2006, 11:41 PM
You guys should see the choices for M4's we have here in sunny CA-pretty sad. . .

SMGLee
07-05-2006, 04:48 AM
forget colt(****)....bushmaster is ok....DPMS the same ok....but if I had to buy a M4(save your money a little bit more and buy a LW gas piston upper M4) I would send my money to Rock river arms

Everyone else is building backwards engineered AR except Colt and FN... you can't buy FN.

Piston is a fade for AR.. how much dress up can you do to an old pig? I just don't think a civilian can take advantage of a piston driven upper.

unless you are headiung into harms way and won't get back to base to maintain your weapon, if you are running CQB-R with suppressor, if you are pumping hundreds and hundreds of round down rangge on a daily basis and don't want to be bother with too much cleaning... Piston is your gun..

so thsi is why I feel the piston is a new bandwagon that everyone like to jump on...if you want reliability, buy any tier one(Colt) or Tier two AR(Bush, LMT, Stag, RRA) and you will get years and years of enjoyment out of it.

SMGLee
07-05-2006, 06:48 AM
416 is not civilian legal yet.

Durandal
07-05-2006, 08:04 AM
416 is not civilian legal yet.

Nor will it probably.

Nor does it fall into his price range...

He gave a price range guys saying stuff like "Get an this 1200.00 rifle" is not what he asked for.

In that price range he is looking at the following:

Stag
RRA
DPMS
Double Star
Model 1
and a couple other companies that build guns but do not manufacture them...

maw
07-05-2006, 09:49 AM
colt
cmt/stag
lmt

are the only three brands i buy anymore. you can be less particular about the lower then about the upper and the b/bc.

imho, i'd avoid bushmaster, seen too many go **** up during classes. rock river use non mil spec buffer tubes.

Geezah
07-05-2006, 10:43 AM
When I first started looking for an AR, I was told to stick with the ABCs, that being Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt.
I went with Bushmaster, I like theri rifles and then purchased a STAG upper and lower but have since sold the STAG for a RRAs 9mm.
I love my Bushy's and thought STAG was top notch, and the RRA is ok, if you ask me, but their customer service goes above and beyond to make sure you are happy and this makes up for allot. Bushmaster in my mind were/are lacking somewhat on the CS side, and I never needed to call STAGs.

Mountain Man
07-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Everyone else is building backwards engineered AR except Colt and FN... you can't buy FN.

Piston is a fade for AR.. how much dress up can you do to an old pig? I just don't think a civilian can take advantage of a piston driven upper.

unless you are headiung into harms way and won't get back to base to maintain your weapon, if you are running CQB-R with suppressor,

Interesting, I never thought about the advantage of running a piston gun with the supressor. That M16 turns into a dirty beast with the supressor on. I can imagine how much cleaner it will run, not to mention no gas in the eye, on a piston gun.

Hey SMGLee, any word on Colt's entry into the piston catagory? Saw Ken Elmore on your SHOT Show post holding one but haven't seen or read anything since. They still planning on putting one out?