PDA

View Full Version : Australian Defence Force slang.

spoonkilr
08-22-2006, 07:18 AM
In the past months, with the input of our Australian former or currently serving soldiers, seamen (do we also call them sailors here in Aus?) and (im not aware if there is any here) airmen of our board, i have become increasingly interested in our very own distinct military culture. In some of the threads i still get lost with some of the jargon that flies around, and was wondering if a small glossary could be compiled in this thread; stuff that i might need to know next year when i attempt to enlist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Graspol
08-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Just ask a digger..

spoonkilr
08-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Just ask a digger..

Just thought it would be a little tedious to PM several members. Besides i thought it would be good to share as others might like to know as well.

ShotOver
08-22-2006, 07:54 AM
Seaman is a rank champ, you call us Sailors.

What slang do you want to know?

Durrie - smoke
goffa - salute/can of coke
brew - tea/coffee
macca - chocolate bar
fang bosun - dentist
getters - thongs
scab lifters - medics
skimmers - surface fleet
bubbleheads - Clearance Divers
bugmariners - submariners
Bug - Someone who smells/dosnt wash
duff - after dinner sweets
redders - tomato sauce (RAS me the redders = Pass me the Tomato sauce)
stoker - marine technician
tubs - have a shower/get clean
scran - any feed cooked by navy cooks
dit - video/dvd

All Navy as far as I know. Don't join the Navy by the way.

spoonkilr
08-22-2006, 08:16 AM
Yeh just wanted to know the basic stuff like what you posted. Thanks for that, was enlightening. And yes, advice taken, i have my hopes set on the Army.

ShotOver
08-22-2006, 08:26 AM
No worries mate, whole new ballgame with regards to Army ones.

AussieJohnDoe
08-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Don't join the Navy by the way.

:-(

How come? I thought the white uniforms did a number on the sheilas. p-)

c62
08-22-2006, 11:12 AM
:-(

How come? I thought the white uniforms did a number on the sheilas. p-)
You should see what the dress blue (called crackerjacks) does to the sheilas.p-)p-)

AussieJohnDoe
08-22-2006, 11:47 AM
You should see what the dress blue (called crackerjacks) does to the sheilas.p-)p-)

Yut yut. ...

goose36
08-22-2006, 05:59 PM
you forgot ' DUMB POUGE ' mate.

AussieJohnDoe
08-23-2006, 06:07 AM
Mind you those were at the academy, nothing fancy operational stuff.

You went through RMC/ADFA?

spoonkilr
08-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Where's, digrar and Chops when you need them...

ArmyJonHall
08-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Compared to the Navy, the Army has ****-all slang terms. Seems like nearly every word in the english language has a Navy equivalent.

Jube- A new member to the unit, straight out of recruit school (A 'jube' is a soft, jelly-like lollie).
Poof Mat- Insulating sleeping mat used out field.
Stitch *****- The (usually asian) seamstresses that stitch your name tags and patches to your uniform.
Biscuit- The Rising Sun badge worn on the right shoulder by Australian Army members.
Chocko- Reservist (from the WW2 term 'chocolate soldiers- they melt in the heat of battle).
Hootchie- Nylon shelter-sheet used to protect you from rain.
Cloudpunchers- Artillery.

... thats all I can think of for now... I'll add more when I can remember them.

gsm
08-24-2006, 12:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_military_slang

Chops
08-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Where's, digrar and Chops when you need them...

Sorry dude- been away for a few days with very intermittent access and Dig's in RVN for the Long Tan memorial. What did you want to know? That wiki article is about 75% okay I guess.

spoonkilr
08-25-2006, 03:14 AM
If the wikipedia article is 75% then i'm pretty satisfied. But one last question, with the term chocko, is there a real significant disdain amongst the regulars for their part time counterparts or is it just lighthearted? Because i am planning on signing up with the reserves and certainly wouldn't want to be thought of as a second rate soldier.

AussieJohnDoe
08-25-2006, 03:17 AM
The real question is, why do you care about what others think? Do it for yourself, not to blow smoke up some Regs.

spoonkilr
08-25-2006, 03:19 AM
Good point, advice taken.

Chops
08-25-2006, 03:45 AM
JD has a fair point. Chocko is pretty derogatory but if you preform well people will shut their traps generally.

Reservists are, in the main, second class soldiers simply due to their lack of availability for training and exercises but they can and do often perform at a level comparable to most ADF regular units.

Norcom
08-25-2006, 03:54 AM
JD has a fair point. Chocko is pretty derogatory but if you preform well people will shut their traps generally.

Reservists are, in the main, second class soldiers simply due to their lack of availability for training and exercises but they can and do often perform at a level comparable to most ADF regular units.

Nice save Chops.

Proudly chocco these days.

Norcom
08-25-2006, 04:05 AM
Squeezer: The jerk that always wants a favour but never helps others.

Jack-man: Probably the worst insult for a digger. From the saying " I'm
alright, Jack". In other words someone that is not a team
player and only selfishly looks after his own interests.

Boggie: Airfield Defence Guard term for junior officers.

Baggy ****: Enlisted class.

Jack rations: The extra rats you take into the field. eg bottle of your favourite sauce.

dhfactory
08-25-2006, 04:18 AM
bohica : bend over here it comes again

DongFangBuBai
08-25-2006, 05:41 AM
You went through RMC/ADFA?

ADFA. Class of 95.

kamarian
08-25-2006, 12:28 PM
WOFTAM: Waste Of F^cking Time And Money