PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Infantry Regt. "The Old Guard"

cylexx75
09-12-2006, 03:24 PM
thats a tough unit to get in, Very High speed guys.

FallenAngel
09-12-2006, 03:30 PM
thats a tough unit to get in, Very High speed guys.

The height/weight requirements and having that recruiting poster "look" are probably the main obstacle for more guys.

Hellfish
09-12-2006, 03:32 PM
My old teamleader was in it. He said he spent more time chasing officer daughter's tail than anything else. He could D&C like a mofo too.

goat89
09-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Nice pics! Saw them on a documentary before. They take 21 steps when on guard at the Tomb of the Unknown right?

Ordie
09-12-2006, 04:47 PM
Does this unit deploy overseas or in the field much in the same manners as Britian's Guards Regiments?

FallenAngel
09-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Does this unit deploy overseas or in the field much in the same manners as Britian's Guards Regiments?

Yes and no. The 1st Battalion is stationed in and around Washington DC. They perform various ceremonial duties (Arlington burials, Innaguration Day duties, etc.) but are an active Infantry unit and are equiped and qualified as such. Analogous to the US Marines stationed at 8th & I Marine Barracks, they provide a body of troops available to garrison Washington DC if need be. They do not, however, deploy overseas.

The 2nd Battalion was activated in 2001 and is part of the 3rd Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division at Ft. Lewis.

Hellfish
09-12-2006, 09:37 PM
One company deployed to Djibouti a year or two ago.

TacoDelRio
09-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Heheh, my buddy is in there, or was last time I talked to him a few years ago. They asked us during OSUT if we wanted to ditch our current "contracts" and go into Old Guard.

D&C drives me nuts.

loganinkosovo
09-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Heheh, my buddy is in there, or was last time I talked to him a few years ago. They asked us during OSUT if we wanted to ditch our current "contracts" and go into Old Guard.

D&C drives me nuts.

Yeah, they did the same to me and 4 other guys from my OSUT (One Stop Unit Training, just one big long basic with your advanced individual training [MOS] thrown in and you don't even have to leave your basic training environment. Can you say 375 push-ups before breakfast? I know you could. :))

I had two problems....

1. I wanted to stay in Tanks

2. I was too short. I'm only 5'11"

They also wanted me to go to West Point through the West Point Prep School.

I said no to that too. After OSUT you just want to get out of any training environment. It was doubly hard on me since I spent a month and a half in Reception Station on Details waiting for a Basic cycle with a slot open. I just wanted out of Ft. Knox anyway I could. My OSUT was so bad I have not been back to the State of Kentucky in almost 30 years. :)

My Dad's Basic would have come close to killing me, My Basic would kill most of what I see coming in the Army these days!

I dropped 20 pounds and I didn't have 20 to spare. :)

Every time I hear a whistle I still cringe.....LOL!

TacoDelRio
09-13-2006, 04:52 AM
I heard their regulations for height and stuff, but there were some short dudes in our group. I think I was taller than their required maximum height or something. I'd probably look like ***** anyway.

Hmmm.... tanks, or twirling rifles. Tanks all the way! (No offense to the 3rd)