PDA

View Full Version : Age limit for Marine Corps Reserve?

mudbunny
10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Does anyone here know what the age limit for the Marine Corps Reserve is? With all of the fancy-nancy websites you'd think that you'd be able to find out, but I can't find it anywhere.

Danger Close
10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
MB,

My buddy is a Marine reservist and he joined just before his 29th birthday. When I went and saw the recruiter he said that I wouldn't have a problem about getting a waiver, as I am 31. I believe that this is on a case by case basis, I may be wrong, but this is the info that was relayed to me by a recruiter. As far as the upper age limit being specified I believe it's 28-29.

Hope this helped?

DC

AussieJohnDoe
10-31-2006, 11:02 AM
I also beleive you can get an age waiver for prior service. So say you spent 4 years in the Army, it will increase the age limit by 4 years.

AussieJohnDoe
10-31-2006, 11:04 AM
Taken from about.com:

Active Army - 42
Army Reserves - 42
Active Air Force - 27
Air Force Reserve - 34
Active Navy - 34
Naval Reserves - 39
Active Marines - 28
Marine Corps Reserve - 29
Active and Reserve Coast Guard - 27

However, prior service enlistees can receive an "age waiver." In most cases, the amount of age that can be waived depends upon the amount of time the individual previously spent in the military. For example, let's say that an individual has four years of credible military service in the Marine Corps and wants to join the Air Force. The Air Force could waive the individual's maximum enlistment age to age 31 (Maximum age of 27 for the Air Force, plus four years credible service in the Marines). For the Marine Corps, the maximum age of enlistment for prior service is 32, after computing the prior-service age adjustment.

mudbunny
10-31-2006, 11:09 AM
Actually, I did find a website with the info and for no prior service exp. it is 29, for prior service, as Aussie said, you can get an age waiver so if you're 29 *cough,cough* you can get a waiver up to 33 years of age. Thanks guys for your responses. I'm gettin a little bored so it's something I'm considering, I think I'm a little too old and stubborn for the bureaucracy of the Army so I the cut and dry attitude of the Corps is appealing. If anyone has any experiences please feel free to weigh in.

Scrim
10-31-2006, 03:10 PM
What MOSs are available in your area Mudbunny?
I served in 2 reserve units. The first was an Artillery Battery and I had a great time. All we did was go to the field. No garrison BS.
My second unit was a Stinger unit, part of the Air Wing, it was a complete joke. All we did was inspections, PT and class rooms. We went to the field twice in 2 years. Seemed like no one wanted to be there, even the I&I staff.
What Im saying is that if you have to travel a little further to get to a Combat Arms type unit, its well worth the drive.....

JTAR7242
10-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Are you prior service? If so, you do realize the Marines will make you go to boot camp with the 18 and 19 year olds right?

If you're up for that, good on you.

And I'll back him on researching available Reserve units. Nothing worse than signing a 6 year contract doing something that doesn't interest you.

mudbunny
10-31-2006, 04:56 PM
What MOSs are available in your area Mudbunny?
I served in 2 reserve units. The first was an Artillery Battery and I had a great time. All we did was go to the field. No garrison BS.
My second unit was a Stinger unit, part of the Air Wing, it was a complete joke. All we did was inspections, PT and class rooms. We went to the field twice in 2 years. Seemed like no one wanted to be there, even the I&I staff.
What Im saying is that if you have to travel a little further to get to a Combat Arms type unit, its well worth the drive.....

I'm not real sure, but it's something I'll deff. look into; I went the Combat Arms route in the Army so I don't feel an obligation to **** another ruck to serve my country, but then again I don't wanna sit behind a g-damn desk jockying a keyboard with some obnoxious Officer riding my azz. I loved being in an Air Assault Division at Campbell and riding to work in Blackhawks and Chinooks so I think I might lean towards Aviation. I'm not sure what kind of birds the Corps uses but I'm sure they have Crewman type MOS's, so that's the most likely career field for me.

mudbunny
10-31-2006, 05:12 PM
delete.......

mudbunny
10-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Are you prior service? If so, you do realize the Marines will make you go to boot camp with the 18 and 19 year olds right?

If you're up for that, good on you.

And I'll back him on researching available Reserve units. Nothing worse than signing a 6 year contract doing something that doesn't interest you.

Yep, ex-Army dog. Haha; yeah I know, that's the only drawback, but my Irish butt is still full a' plenty piss and vinegar to last me a while. I have a family so that's why I won't consider active duty again, but all I know is that I'm tired of watching the 6 o'clock news and seeing young boys dying over in that *****hole and feeling helpless; f-k that *****; I've got some left, and I don't like missing out on a good fight, so I can give some more.

Hellfish
10-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Yep, ex-Army dog. Haha; yeah I know, that's the only drawback, but my Irish butt is still full a' plenty piss and vinegar to last me a while. I have a family so that's why I won't consider active duty again, but all I know is that I'm tired of watching the 6 o'clock news and seeing young boys dying over in that *****hole and feeling helpless; f-k that *****; I've got some left, and I don't like missing out on a good fight, so I can give some more.

I definately sympathize with that. I kinda came to a different conclusion, though - the Army is probably better off without me back in uniform.

mudbunny
10-31-2006, 05:23 PM
I definately sympathize with that. I kinda came to a different conclusion, though - the Army is probably better off without me back in uniform.

hehehe. Yeah, that's why I'm considering another branch.