PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Expands Military & Police Pistol Series With .45 Caliber Model

Geezah
12-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Company to Introduce M&P45 at January 2007 SHOT Show

Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation, parent company of Smith & Wesson Corp., the legendary 154-year old company in the global business of safety, security, protection and sport, today announced that it will expand its Military and Police (M&P) Pistol Series with the launch of the M&P45, a .45 ACP model, at this year's Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show, January 11-14, 2007 in Orlando, Florida.

The M&P45 is the newest addition to the company's growing M&P Series of advanced design polymer pistols engineered to the exacting standards of global law enforcement and military personnel. Michael F. Golden, Smith & Wesson's President and CEO, said, "During the development process of the M&P Series, it became evident that numerous law enforcement agencies prefer a sidearm chambered in the powerful .45 ACP cartridge, and one that incorporates the same performance and safety features we designed into the entire M&P family of pistols. We are also aware that multiple branches of the U.S. Military including Special Operations Command (SOCOM), the Air Force (USAF) and the Army have recently expressed a desire to shift from their current 9mm weapons to either a .40 or .45 caliber for greater stopping power. The addition of the M&P45 allows us to provide a broader portfolio of high-performance polymer pistols to military organizations, law enforcement agencies, sports shooters and consumers desiring personal protection."

The M&P45 will initially be available in two configurations for consumers and multiple configurations for law enforcement professionals. The polymer-framed sidearm will be offered with a traditional black frame, or in a bi-tone, dark earth brown frame. The bi-tone model will be a striker fired polymer pistol featuring an external ambidextrous thumb safety. As with the entire M&P Series of pistols, both models are made in the United States and are manufactured with enhanced ergonomics, ambidextrous controls and proven safety features that make the new pistols well suited for professional use and for personal protection.

The bi-tone M&P45 will be manufactured with additional features such as an ambidextrous, frame-mounted thumb safety. The new thumb safety acts as a passive safety device allowing the slide to be pulled toward the rear, clearing the firearm without disengaging the safety. Another feature of the bi-tone model is the specially designed take down tool that includes a lanyard attachment. The M&P45 will also be available with a traditional black frame and will be manufactured with the same standard features that are found in the M&P Pistol Series. Shipments of both versions of the M&P45 are expected to begin in February 2007 into both the sporting goods and law enforcement channels.

Both M&P45 models feature a 4.5-inch barrel with an overall length of 8.05 inches. The full size pistols will ship with a 10+1 capacity, with an option for 14+1 capacity. Featuring one of the smallest grip sizes available on any .45 ACP pistol, the M&P45 benefits from the addition of three interchangeable grips, allowing the user to customize grip size to their preference. The M&P45 utilizes a steel dovetail mount front sight and a steel NovakŪ Lo-mount carry rear sight. Tritium sights are also available for low light conditions. A universal Picatinny style equipment rail has been incorporated for tactical lights and lasers. The polymer pistol has an empty weight of 29.6 ounces.

The full size pistols feature a Zytel polymer frame reinforced with a ridged stainless steel chassis and a thru-hardened black melonite finished stainless steel barrel and slide for durability; a passive trigger safety to prevent the pistol from firing if dropped; and a sear release lever that eliminates the need to press the trigger in order to disassemble the firearm. A loaded chamber indicator is located on top of the slide. The firearm also features an ambidextrous slide stop and a reversible magazine release, as well as an enlarged trigger guard designed to accommodate gloves. The Smith & Wesson lifetime service policy is standard with each pistol.

About Smith & Wesson

Smith & Wesson is a global provider of products and services for the safety, security, protection and sport markets. The Company manufactures firearms and handcuffs and is home to America's longest-running firearms training facilities for America's public servants. The Company also markets a variety of products for sport shooters including firearm safety/security devices, shooter protective gear, knives, apparel, and other accessory lines. The Company is based in Springfield, Mass., with manufacturing facilities in Springfield and Houlton, Maine. Contact (800) 331-0852 or log on to www.smith-wesson.com.

Certain statements contained in this document may be deemed to be forward- looking statements under federal securities laws, and Smith & Wesson intends that such forward-looking statements be subject to the safe-harbor created thereby. Forward-looking statements include the engineering, features, performance, capabilities, durability, and safety of the M&P series of pistols, including the M&P45, and feedback received by the Company with respect to its M&P pistols. The Company cautions that these statements are qualified by important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those reflected by the forward-looking statements contained herein. Such factors include the acceptance of the M&P pistols by military and police personnel and other customers; the performance, capabilities, durability, and safety of the M&P pistols in actual use; the Company's ability to manufacture M&P pistols in accordance with their intended features and performance; as well as other risks as identified from time to time in the Company's SEC reports, including Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, Current Reports on Form 8-K, and Annual Reports on Form 10-K.

Link (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061212/latu075.html?.v=81)

ZoneOne
12-13-2006, 11:04 AM
oth M&P45 models feature a 4.5-inch barrel with an overall length of 8.05 inches. The full size pistols will ship with a 10+1 capacity, with an option for 14+1 capacity. Featuring one of the smallest grip sizes available on any .45 ACP pistol,

A XD can hold 13+1 and has a real small grip, if not the smallest.

Steel_Weasel
12-13-2006, 11:09 AM
A XD can hold 13+1 and has a real small grip, if not the smallest.

Having handled both there is no question that the M&P .45 has a slimmer grip and better ergonomics. If you want more than 10 rnds in a magazine I have been told that S&W will make an extended magazine.

Createdeemcee
12-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Sweet, 15 .45acp all i can say is wow. Thats alot of lead.

ZoneOne
12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Having handled both there is no question that the M&P .45 has a slimmer grip and better ergonomics. If you want more than 10 rnds in a magazine I have been told that S&W will make an extended magazine.

The XD has the slimmest grip for a pistol that holds that many rounds in a regular fitting magazine, not extended or hi-cap.

So while the M&P might be smaller, in order to hold the same amount or more, it would have to have a larger magazine sticking out of the grip... correct?

I have yet to see an M&P in person so I don't know. However, I own an XD .45 and my girlfriend doesn't have any trouble getting a good grip on it. (and she has small hands)

exarmyguard
12-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Went to a armorers class at S&W and held the then brand new M&P in 40cal. It is a nice slim grip and is easy to clean and disassemble. The material used in the grip gives the user a good hold on the weapon. I especially liked the low slide. On SIG's the slides ride a bit high in the hand and kind of accenuates the flip on recoil. A low slide keeps the gun low in the hand and the center of gravity lower.

Seraphim
12-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Awesome...I've been waiting for this model to come out. Looks like I will get the bi-tone.

akmarksman
12-14-2006, 06:31 AM
about time.
of course why not use the SW1911? ;)

SMGLee
12-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I was never a huge SW fan, until I shot the M&P, it is one of the best pistol ever designed. in many way, it is a much better gun then a Glock and years beyond the XD. I have been waiting on the 45ACP M&P, I guess i will have to save a few pennies to get one after ShotShow. I hope they get the gun throught he Kalifornia handgun safety list.

StukaJr
12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Since they already got Loaded Chamber Indicator, all that handgun missing is a Magazine Disconnect (cringe) - S&W has been pretty good about supporting Kali market... Magazine Disconnect is bound to make muck of the trigger pull though - more money for local smiths though...

All I know, I'm a fan of steel handguns, but more drinks SMGLee pours into my empty glass - more and more I want an M&P something... :D

SMGLee
12-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Since they already got Loaded Chamber Indicator, all that handgun missing is a Magazine Disconnect (cringe) - S&W has been pretty good about supporting Kali market... Magazine Disconnect is bound to make muck of the trigger pull though - more money for local smiths though...

All I know, I'm a fan of steel handguns, but more drinks SMGLee pours into my empty glass - more and more I want an M&P something... :D

My evil ways of getting people to think my way....its call Chinese John y Walker mind control

By the way...

For those of you that are think of a SW M&P... you can order the pistol with out the magazine disconnect and the internal lock. I would order my M&P in 9mm and a 45ACP without the lock and disconnect and with night sights.

As far as magazine capacity, 10rds of 45ACP is a lot of firepower.. if you can't finish a fight with ten rounds of 45ACP, I think you better take up needle point and stay home... :)

yiorgo
12-14-2006, 04:56 PM
the M&Ps ergonomics are great...I have also been waiting for the 45ACP version...cant wait for shot :)

maw
12-14-2006, 07:34 PM
"and years beyond the XD."
tell more. i'm not being an ass but i'm this --->.<--- close to buying a 5" xd-45.

and whoever initially started this thread: pics or gtfo.

SMGLee
12-14-2006, 08:18 PM
I posted a thread on the M&P awhile ago...I listed all the plus of the new system...

Better egronomics, smaller package, it feature an external ambidextrous striker safety that does not affect the trigger/sear. it is the softest shoot 45 i have ever shot. it is not only year beyond the XD, it is better then the yet released HK45. just think, a 45 with ten rds in a package about the same as the M&P40 with an embedded aluminum skeleton, a much better boreline to grip ratio, the grip angle is ala 1911, 17 degree, completely awesome recoil mechanism, and a adjustable grip.

I sound like a SW rep...lol

taekwonno
12-14-2006, 08:34 PM
No one talking about the new rumored Glock here huh?

StukaJr
12-14-2006, 09:54 PM
tell more. i'm not being an ass but i'm this --->.<--- close to buying a 5" xd-45.

Local range has discontinued renting XD's - the guns don't survive being poorly maintained and thoroughly shot through as well as the other maker's guns... Their rental XD I've shot more than a year ago patterned as well as buckshot at 10 yards and I had to use the side of the slide to aim instead of the sights. Both loaded chamber and cocked firing pin indicator were missing (not sure if they broke or went AWOL during cleaning). Yes, I take care of my guns but longevity is an important issue that I have when it comes to handguns - XD's don't age gracefully.

Handle the XD-45 before you commit - I found it overly too long in the grip extending down further than one would expect and the top of the slide is too tall. It's an accurate .45 but flip is significant - it's bore axis is way too tall. Some people like the way it points, but I find that its sights are way too high in my natural grip - once again, due to unnaturally high bore axis.

If handguns are to fit like a glove - XD 45 wasn't it. I felt more natural when I fired a Desert Eagle - at least the sights were where I expected them to be. I'm especially at a loss with grip continuing as low as it does.

It's not Photos or Video Only section - written articles are just fine...

No one talking about the new rumored Glock here huh?

No

maw
12-15-2006, 12:28 AM
stuka and chen: thank you. you may have saved me some coin. i'll suck it up for a couple more months and continue to carry my trusty sig.

stuka - asking for gun **** is always fair game on mp.net, i want pics gawdammit.

SMGLee
12-15-2006, 02:13 AM
stuka and chen: thank you. you may have saved me some coin. i'll suck it up for a couple more months and continue to carry my trusty sig.

stuka - asking for gun **** is always fair game on mp.net, i want pics gawdammit.

Maw, first of all, nothing wrong with the SIG. I own a P226 and a P220. the P226 I hae had since 1995 and the P220 is even older.

here is a pix for you...not the 45 but a std 40SW. Note the internal embedded skeleton
http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ntoa2006/large/NTOA-082.jpg
Something happens to your frame, you can pop out the skeleton and simply order a new frame for it. the serial number is on the skeleton.

http://photos.imageevent.com/smglee/ntoa2006/huge/NTOA-090.jpg
Notice the huge ejector adn also the striker release. you can use the provided tool(also the lock to retain the rear grip section) to release the latch or simply use a sharp obj(or I used my pinky)to lift up the latch, or do what you with a glock, clear the chamber, pull the trigger and pull down the takedown lever and remove the slide.

sergey31
12-15-2006, 11:37 AM

Not to long ago I bought XD 45 "tactical".

The gun is better quality when it comes to fit & finish than Glock and I like it's magazines.
XD's have come a long way and the new .45's are better guns than they (XD) were even 3 years ago. It is very comfortable and sight placement are almost identical like my duty Glock 22.
I saw S&W M&P .40 when buying an XD and just did not like it that much, on the other hand if it had 5" barrel and was in .45ACP then I would have given it a better look. IMO .45ACP should be and deserves 5" barrel minimum. The cartridge originated with 5" barrel and it should remain that way and anything less than 230gr in .45........ Well, get .40S&W then.

maw
12-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Maw, first of all, nothing wrong with the SIG. I own a P226 and a P220. the P226 I hae had since 1995 and the P220 is even older.

thanks for the pic. unless it's really hot out my edc ccw is a sig 226 which i'm very comfortable and familiar with. over the years i've experimented with different holsters in different locations on my frame and i even though it's a relatively large piece i feel comfortable concealing it. it's just that i feel way too comfortable shooting the 9mm fast and i'm ready to step up so to speak. just my opinion but i don't like the snappy recoil of the "hot dog" rounds (.40, .357sig, 45gap), i prefer the gradual push of the slower .45acp, all things being equal i find my split times to be lower between shots. hence the interest in the xd-45. the only thing that initally put me off the m&p was the scalopped grip serrations on the rear of the slide, kind of a ghey reason - i know but first impressions and all.

i've shot the 220 and liked it but i found it to be a chunky and heavy man sized piece of iron. i prefer the low bore axis on the xd and sigs tend to have a high bore axis.

Seraphim
12-19-2006, 03:31 AM
Pics

http://www.guntalk.com/site28.php

sergey31
12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
The safety does look out of place, almost like it was last minute ad on or something. The trigger better be at 3 punds if that gun has 1911 safety.

punchinout
05-04-2007, 11:37 PM
this is a god awful bump..but got One M&P .45 in at work. its real nice...real real nice. i want to buy it...but don't have the money right now.

we've also had some glock 21SF's in for the last month or two..nice guns...but i still dont' see whats so Slim about 'em.

bad pic quality is from my stupid camera phone.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/punchinout18/0504071450.jpg

D-gin
05-04-2007, 11:42 PM
If it shoots anything like the M&P .40 it's a winner.

mohica
05-05-2007, 12:25 PM
The safety does look out of place, almost like it was last minute ad on or something. The trigger better be at 3 punds if that gun has 1911 safety.

Out of place? I am not sure how you come up with that assessement never having had one in your hand. I have and the safety is in perfect position and easy to manipulate. The S&W M&P series is the finest polymer frame pistol in the world IMO.

Hollis
05-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Out of place? I am not sure how you come up with that assessement never having had one in your hand. I have and the safety is in perfect position and easy to manipulate. The S&W M&P series is the finest polymer frame pistol in the world IMO.

I have a good friend who has a Smith. He completely agrees. He was a Major in the Corps and done a lot of pistol competition. His opinions of the new Smith, encouraged me to reevaluate Smiths. In the past I was a devotee to Smith wheel guns, but their autos was big turn off. Looks like Smith has a winner.

jagermeister
05-05-2007, 04:06 PM
i was thinking about getting one of the new glock 45s, im gonna have to call the brother up and see what his take is on this S&W monstrosity.

sergey31
05-05-2007, 06:59 PM

To each it's own, I've handled one a few days ago.....With it's 10lb + trigger (the worst trigger I've felt on any "polymer" handgun) the safety is not needed on this gun...
And they still did not beat XD 45 in capacity, 10 round magazines is not very impressive in a handgun (.vs 13 in XD) and if higher capacity stick way out then they might need to redesign their gun.

mohica
05-05-2007, 07:45 PM
To each it's own, I've handled one a few days ago.....With it's 10lb + trigger (the worst trigger I've felt on any "polymer" handgun) the safety is not needed on this gun...
And they still did not beat XD 45 in capacity, 10 round magazines is not very impressive in a handgun (.vs 13 in XD) and if higher capacity stick way out then they might need to redesign their gun.

Your post said it "looked out of place" so it would stand to reason you hadn't had one in your hand. Why didn't you say your post you held one and it seemed out of place to you rather than it "looked out of place" after looking at the posted photo? Mmmmmmm.

Whether the safety is needed or not is a matter of preference. For it's purposes, the US Gov't says it does. For those who don't want the safety, S&W is kind enought to oblige you and offers several .45ACP models w/o manual safety.

10lb+ trigger? Did you test it for that or did you read somewhere they have been coming through with a heavy trigger? If you tested the trigger, how did you do so? You said the safety "looked out of place", yet you held one the other day, AND maybe tested the trigger? I'm confused. In any case, a heavy trigger on any M&P model is an easy fix, so don't fret.

The M&P .45 is a bit smaller than the XD in th grip but you know that since you have held one. Therefore, less capacity and more comfortable. 10 rounds is sufficient, it is a bonus to a 1911 shooter. The extended mag to 13 rounds doesn't bother me a bit and doesn't "stick way out".

So, in summary, S&W did their homework and it is great to see an American company back on top with the best of the genre.

sergey31
05-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Your post said it "looked out of place" so it would stand to reason you hadn't had one in your hand. Why didn't you say your post you held one and it seemed out of place to you rather than it "looked out of place" after looking at the posted photo? Mmmmmmm.
First I would advise you to pay attention of the dates of each post. 12-19-2006 is not a few days ago.
When I said what I said I have not held one at the time that is exactly why I said it "looks".
Second, I wrote, it "looked" out of place because it LOOKS out of place in other words it looks a bit cheap.

Whether the safety is needed or not is a matter of preference. For it's purposes, the US Gov't says it does. For those who don't want the safety, S&W is kind enought to oblige you and offers several .45ACP models w/o manual safety.
That is good, very good.

10lb+ trigger? Did you test it for that or did you read somewhere they have been coming through with a heavy trigger? If you tested the trigger, how did you do so? You said the safety "looked out of place", yet you held one the other day, AND maybe tested the trigger? I'm confused. In any case, a heavy trigger on any M&P model is an easy fix, so don't fret.
Yes, I dry fired the gun and the trigger was very heavy compared to any other semi auto I've hadled.
Once again, look at the dates and yes Im not a big fan of S&W M&P 45 safety lever. That is all on the safty.

The M&P .45 is a bit smaller than the XD in th grip but you know that since you have held one. Therefore, less capacity and more comfortable. 10 rounds is sufficient, it is a bonus to a 1911 shooter. The extended mag to 13 rounds doesn't bother me a bit and doesn't "stick way out".
No, not really..... It's not more comfortable then XD 45 at all. Like I said, to each it's own. XD 45 has more comfortable grip then Glock 17/22.

I'm not saying at all that 10 rounds is not enough, don't get me wrong, I actually believe that if you can't accomplish something with 10 rounds then even 25 wont help you much. My point is the design in itself, the idea of sticking more ammo in yet a same size grip and other competitors. I'm talking from a design standpoint alone that is all.

So, in summary, S&W did their homework and it is great to see an American company back on top with the best of the genre.
Apparently they did not do it enough to make a .45 with less capacity but more mechanically complicated with much heavier trigger then competitors.

Once again to each it's own...... People will always will buy what they like.

D-gin
05-06-2007, 03:31 AM
i was thinking about getting one of the new glock 45s, im gonna have to call the brother up and see what his take is on this S&W monstrosity.

I held a new glock SF on Friday and one of the M&P .45s, I really didn't feel any real difference in the glock with the supposed Slim-Frame but the M&P sure as hell is a comfy handling gun.....I especially like the fact that it has interchangeable handles to suit the shooters needs.

punchinout
05-06-2007, 04:12 AM
I held a new glock SF on Friday and one of the M&P .45s, I really didn't feel any real difference in the glock with the supposed Slim-Frame but the M&P sure as hell is a comfy handling gun.....I especially like the fact that it has interchangeable handles to suit the shooters needs.

interchangeable backstraps are nice. field *****ped the M&P .45 today. only downside compared to the glock when it comes to field *****ping, is you need a tool(which is integrated into the frame) for the m&p .45. but i don't think most people gonna be in a combat zone field *****ping the m&P.

comfiest polymer handgun i've held so far. xd's are a bit too bulky, not as bulky as glocks. we got a few 21 Slim Frames...great guns, just still a lil big.

once again, i if i had the money i'd buy a M&P .45. like everyone has said. S&W has a winner right herre.

D-gin
05-06-2007, 04:25 AM
interchangeable backstraps are nice. field *****ped the M&P .45 today. only downside compared to the glock when it comes to field *****ping, is you need a tool(which is integrated into the frame) for the m&p .45. but i don't think most people gonna be in a combat zone field *****ping the m&P.
I'm hoping the range I go to will be getting a .45 model in soon (they have every other M&P) so I can put some rounds through it and give an honest opinion on something more that just how it feels which is very nice IMHO.

If the .45 shoots like the .40S&W model I will be sold on it.

once again, i if i had the money i'd buy a M&P .45. like everyone has said. S&W has a winner right herre.

Agreed, I see why SMGLee liked them so much in there run up and after the shot show.

mohica
05-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Yes, I dry fired the gun and the trigger was very heavy compared to any other semi auto I've hadled.
Once again, look at the dates and yes Im not a big fan of S&W M&P 45 safety lever. That is all on the safty.

So just dry firing the weapon allows you to tell us it has a 10lb+ trigger pull? I mean, could it have been 8lb+? Perhaps 9lb+? Nope, it was 10lb+. You are a better man than I.

No, not really..... It's not more comfortable then XD 45 at all. Like I said, to each it's own. XD 45 has more comfortable grip then Glock 17/22.

Like you said, to each his own, but it is hard for me to accept you are being objective in this comparison. With three backstrap sizes, the M&P will fit just about any hand. The XD IMO is not unlike the Glock 21SF, a minor improvement over the 21, but still too large.

I'm not saying at all that 10 rounds is not enough, don't get me wrong, I actually believe that if you can't accomplish something with 10 rounds then even 25 wont help you much. My point is the design in itself, the idea of sticking more ammo in yet a same size grip and other competitors. I'm talking from a design standpoint alone that is all.

You need to get them side by side and I think if you are being honest with yourself, you will see the M&P grip is a bit smaller than the XD.

Apparently they did not do it enough to make a .45 with less capacity but more mechanically complicated with much heavier trigger then competitors.

Once again to each it's own...... People will always will buy what they like.

Again, you need to be honest with yourself. Less capacity in a smaller grip size, yet S&W offers an extended mag that is tantamount to nothing more than a little finger rest for those with larger hands.

***Mechanically more complicated? Could you explain how the M&P seires is mechanically more complicated? I sure would like to know as would everyone else reading this thread.***

That is hardley the case though, with the XD haveing a mechanical loaded chamber indicator and a mechanical cocked striker indicator, both items the M&P doesn't have.

It would be much easier if you would just say you have an XD .45 and you like it rather than pointing out non-existent faults with the M&P series to rationalize your decisionn to purchase an XD. If it works for you, stick with it.

Laconian
05-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I shot one of the M&Ps in .40 right before they came out and really liked the gun. I had thought about buying one (my old PD switched to them). But a buddy has been shooting them in IPSC comps and has shot out 4 of them at between 12000-15000 rounds. Each time S&W has fixed them. They say they have fixed the prob, but I'll wait. I hope the .45 fares better. I really like the platform and it is a nice looking wpn.. For a .45, the Glock 21 doesn't fit me well. I guess I'll stick with my 1911s for now.

Anyone see that Kimber is making a polymer .40 that looks like the M&P?

mohica
05-06-2007, 11:06 AM
There were a couple of minor issues in the first batch of .40's that were realeased some time ago. S&W has since rectified the problem.

punchinout
05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Anyone see that Kimber is making a polymer .40 that looks like the M&P?

The Kimber KPD.

That thing is like a ghost. Kimber keeps saying its coming, and we are all waiting.

From what i hear they are still having some issues.

Held the M&P up to a picture of the KPD...they are very very similar.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/kpd/

sergey31
05-06-2007, 05:55 PM
So just dry firing the weapon allows you to tell us it has a 10lb+ trigger pull? I mean, could it have been 8lb+? Perhaps 9lb+? Nope, it was 10lb+. You are a better man than I.
Like you said, to each his own, but it is hard for me to accept you are being objective in this comparison. With three backstrap sizes, the M&P will fit just about any hand. The XD IMO is not unlike the Glock 21SF, a minor improvement over the 21, but still too large.
You need to get them side by side and I think if you are being honest with yourself, you will see the M&P grip is a bit smaller than the XD.
Again, you need to be honest with yourself. Less capacity in a smaller grip size, yet S&W offers an extended mag that is tantamount to nothing more than a little finger rest for those with larger hands.
***Mechanically more complicated? Could you explain how the M&P seires is mechanically more complicated? I sure would like to know as would everyone else reading this thread.***
That is hardley the case though, with the XD haveing a mechanical loaded chamber indicator and a mechanical cocked striker indicator, both items the M&P doesn't have.
It would be much easier if you would just say you have an XD .45 and you like it rather than pointing out non-existent faults with the M&P series to rationalize your decisionn to purchase an XD. If it works for you, stick with it.

I'm not saying that the gun is bad/horrible or not worth it's $.... I just don't care much for it and I've been around handguns for quite some time and my taste is my own, I can share it but I'm not on the mission to change someone's preference, that is all.
I feel that there are "plastic" .45's that suit me better that this one in particular.

Agree that to each it's own and leave it at that.

Seraphim
05-07-2007, 02:55 AM

comfiest polymer handgun i've held so far. xd's are a bit too bulky, not as bulky as glocks. we got a few 21 Slim Frames...great guns, just still a lil big.

You can order it without the internal safety.

punchinout
05-07-2007, 03:03 AM
You can order it without the internal safety.

??? you mean the sear deactivation lever???

or the integral locking mechanism??

Seraphim
05-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Oops nevermind, I read your post too fast. I thought you were talking about the internal locking mech.

mohica
05-07-2007, 07:29 AM
field *****ped the M&P .45 today. only downside compared to the glock when it comes to field *****ping, is you need a tool(which is integrated into the frame) for the m&p .45. but i don't think most people gonna be in a combat zone field *****ping the m&P.

Actually, you don't need a "tool" per se or the one supplied with the firearm. If you have a bit of fingernail, you can stick your finger in and catch the lever and push it down. That is what I do.

D-gin
05-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Went to the range today and put 100 FMJ .9mm 115g rounds through a M&P full size, After playing with the M&P .40 I figured I try the .9mm and I was very impressed. The S&W M&P is so user friendly even a guy like me can get a few good groups.

This was 20FT away with 15 rounds.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5926/img0377ln3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Seraphim
05-11-2007, 04:47 AM
Question on the thumb safety for the 45. Can you add it after if it doesnt come with it?

badarmybrad
03-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Well guys I have been looking at the XDs now for a year and finally went to get one in 45. But when I got to the store they had the new M&P 45 and I tried it out for feel. There is no comparison, the M&P is more balanced and has multiple grips to make it fit about anyones hands. Ive shot a buddys Springfield and thought it was the best shooting gun Id ever shot until I got my M&P, Id suggest anyone who loves the XD should give the M&P a try, The biggest difference is how chunky the XD is on top, the weight causes you to have to hold it up more then the M&P, this weekend I went shooting with that same buddy and he's (the avid springfield fan for years!) Is going to get an M&P to replace his with! On top of the feel and the great accuracy, Smith and Wesson has a deal this month they are knocking off $50 in the form of a rebate and giving you two free mags!! Its too good a deal to pass up! That puts it in your hands with 3 mags for around 450-500$. Don't want to offend avid XD lovers but you can't make statements until you've shot both side by side! Hope this helps any other gun buyers, I had no intentions of getting this gun but its really just the best choice!