Page 994 of 994 FirstFirst ... 494894944984986987988989990991992993994
Results 14,896 to 14,903 of 14903

Thread: Méxican Armed Forces: Videos, pictures, news,etc.

Default Mexico orders additional UH-60M Black Hawk helos

Sikorsky has been awarded a USD93.3 million contract to build eight "uniquely configured" UH-60M Black Hawk utility helicopters for Mexico, the US Department of Defense (DoD) announced on 29 September.

The contract, which was placed on behalf of Mexico's secretary of national defence, is due to be completed on 7 June 2015. The DoD did not release details as to the aircraft configuration.

News of the contract comes just two weeks after the DoD announced a USD203.6 million deal for Sikorsky to build 18 'green' UH-60Ms for the Mexican Air Force (Fuerza Aérea Mexicana - FAM). With engines and equipment, that contract is expected to be worth USD680 million, and should be complete by 30 May 2016.
    http://www.janes.com/article/43846/m...ack-hawk-helos

What we know right now and my thoughts:

-The purchase of the 18 UH-60Ms for the Mexican Air Force is official and is proceeding.
    -There was another request for 5 UH-60Ms, possibly for the Navy, although it doesn't appear that this has been exercised/approved just yet.
    -These additional 8 have been bought, although the article claims that the end user is not known. However, if the purchase was "placed on behalf of Mexico's secretary of national defence," that would be SEDENA and not SEMAR, which means these are going to the Air Force for a total of 24.
    -The first 18 ordered will be "green," or basic models. These 8 that were just ordered appear to be more specialized. This could mean they will be given a possible special forces/SAR/combat application. Or they could be for the Navy, which already has 3 "specialized" UH- 60Ms.

So for now, 24 new UH-60Ms confirmed with a possibility of 5 more in the near future.

Just how many different types of trucks, armored wheeled vehicles and rifles do the Mexican authorities use??? On just two pages I have seen G3 rifles, Czech 850 rifles and those made in Mexico whateverhuatl that look like the G36.

Hi there. I'll try to answer your question as best as I can. First of all, you need to realize that the pictures on this thread mainly cover the three main armed forces groups of the Mexican government: The Army (to which the Air Force is subordinate), the Navy (to which the Marines are subordinate), and the Federal Police (to which the Gendarmerie is subordinate). For weapons:

-Army: Main battle rifle is the G3A3/G3A4. The FX-05 is very slowly replacing the G3 in service. Since this is a transition period, it's not uncommon to see both types. The old FN FAL still serves in reserve status in some Military Police units. AR 15s/M4s serve in "special" units.
    -Navy/Marines: Main service rifle is the M16A2.
    -Federal Police: Yes, this is where the logistics are a bit more of a nightmare. Standard rifles are the AR 15, G3A4, Galil ACE, and the CZ 850. The ACE and the CZ are assigned to "special" units.

Federal Police aside, the variety of the weapons used by the military is actually fairly streamlined and no different than those used by other militaries. Seeing as how the Mexican Armed Forces are quite large compared to others, the variety of weapons seen isn't really out of the ordinary.

As far as vehicles go, the same applies. All of these branches have fairly standardized fleets, although there are sometimes "one-offs" used. Don't let pictures deceive you.

Quote Originally Posted by av405 View Post
    http://www.janes.com/article/43846/m...ack-hawk-helos

What we know right now and my thoughts:

-The purchase of the 18 UH-60Ms for the Mexican Air Force is official and is proceeding.
    -There was another request for 5 UH-60Ms, possibly for the Navy, although it doesn't appear that this has been exercised/approved just yet.
    -These additional 8 have been bought, although the article claims that the end user is not known. However, if the purchase was "placed on behalf of Mexico's secretary of national defence," that would be SEDENA and not SEMAR, which means these are going to the Air Force for a total of 24.
    -The first 18 ordered will be "green," or basic models. These 8 that were just ordered appear to be more specialized. This could mean they will be given a possible special forces/SAR/combat application. Or they could be for the Navy, which already has 3 "specialized" UH- 60Ms.

So for now, 24 new UH-60Ms confirmed with a possibility of 5 more in the near future.
    I wonder if the 8 "uniquely configured" Blackhawks will be used to support the GAFES? I mean, the small batch of UH-60L airframes were ordered around 20 years ago, but I'm not sure as to how many hours they've flown.

That's exactly my theory, that they will be used for SOF/rescue applications. In light of Mexico's susceptibility to natural disasters, the "uniquely configured" Black Hawks might give the FAM a better edge in responding to natural disasters with equipment such a winch or FLIR. Anyhow, these are just theories for now.

As far as I know, the L's still have plenty of life in them. 20 years really isn't too long for a helicopter. It's been said on some of the Mexican defense forums that they have been/will be given modernized electronic suites. There hasn't been any evidence of such work just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by av405 View Post
    That's exactly my theory, that they will be used for SOF/rescue applications. In light of Mexico's susceptibility to natural disasters, the "uniquely configured" Black Hawks might give the FAM a better edge in responding to natural disasters with equipment such a winch or FLIR. Anyhow, these are just theories for now.

As far as I know, the L's still have plenty of life in them. 20 years really isn't too long for a helicopter. It's been said on some of the Mexican defense forums that they have been/will be given modernized electronic suites. There hasn't been any evidence of such work just yet.
    Let's not forget the Super Coughars, brand new of which the FAM has almost received the first 12, with a possible 6-12 more, plus the Navy 3-6, and about 20 of the FAM's Mi-8/17's are in Russia being overhauled.

*Disregard*

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe S Xicotencatl View Post
    Let's not forget the Super Coughars, brand new of which the FAM has almost received the first 12, with a possible 6-12 more, plus the Navy 3-6, and about 20 of the FAM's Mi-8/17's are in Russia being overhauled.
    I've heard of the possibility of 6 more EC-725. The Navy has 3 so far and there are 19 Mi-17s and 2 Mi-8s left in the FAM's fleet. I cannot confirm whether the two Mi-8s are being modernized along with the Mi-17s.

Anyhow, some pictures from this week's photos thread of the Army and Federal Police:

Mexican soldiers and a federal policemen patrol the streets in Iguala, Guerrero state, Mexico on October 6, 2014 . Federal officials on Monday disarmed local police and took over security after an attack on students that left at least six dead and 43 missing. Officials say that police officers were in league with a local gang called the Guerreros Unidos in carrying out the attack, and sent a new preventative unit of the federal police to keep order and help look for the missing. (AP Photo/Eduardo Verdugo)(AFP Photo/Pedro Pardo)