Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: South African REVA 4x4 Mk II APC

Default South African REVA 4x4 Mk II APC

I've seen this vehicle around a bit on the net...

I thought I'd identified it as a "Springbuck" based on what I'd seen on the website of General Equipment Corporation Inc, who were offering them for sale... http://www.gec-intl.com/SPRINGBUCK.htm

Even though I had this image showing the name "REVA 4x4" on the front of the vehicle I could dig up no information on a vehicle by that name at the time...

I have now come across more information regarding this vehicle and have discovered that it is called a REVA 4x4 Mk II APC.

[*******black]The REVA 4x4 MKII offers seating capacity for 10 personnel.[/COLOR]

[*******black]Ten weapons can be used from behind protection at the same time in all round defence, effective defensive armour protection in a solid armour hull with an above average mine protection and ballistic capability.[/COLOR]

Two light machine guns can simultaneously be used, and cover 360-degrees on roller bearing turrets.

The REVA has a top speed of 100km/h as well as a 4x4 low range with a diff lock on the rear wheels making this vehicle capable for all terrain. The vehicle has an opperational range of 500km on road and 250km cross-country.

The vehicle has an above-average turning circle and a low centre of gravity allowinglittle body roll and excellent road handling.

The vehicle can be supplied in both left and right hand drive, as well as in a recovery vehicle model to recover and lift any vehicle under 7-tons. Other varients available include Command and Control vehicles, ambulances and VIP vehicles.

The company manufacturing the REVA, ICP, currently has a production facility in Baghdad, Iraq and another in New Castle, South Africa. They are in the process of expanding their business into the United Arab Emerites.

REVA 4x4 Mk II spec sheet

Production line in Baghdad

Production line in New Castle

Prototype REVA 4x4 APC's for the US Government

REVA Mk II performance against IED attack

Double Shaped Charge (EFP) Improvised Explosive Device with RPG7 hit on bin during an ambush

[*******black]
    Two double shape charges (EFP's). 7 vehicles had been involved in incidents in the past year, of which one vehicle overturned and continued to drive. One vehicle was involved in a vehicle bomb (VBIED) which was detonated about 3-metres on the right of the right read of the vehicle, the vehicle continued to drive. Another 3 vehicles were involved in IED's, which were not shaped charge, these vehicles could also drive away.
    [/COLOR]

ICP also do modifications to other APC's at their facility in Baghdad.

REVA Mk I pics

More REVA Mk II pics

Here's the link to the REVA 4x4 website... http://www.reva4x4.co.za/

Do you know who the US Government users are in Iraq?

Quote Originally Posted by Straker View Post
    Do you know who the US Government users are in Iraq?
    I don't - that's the caption off of the company's website. It may just be that the US is supplying these to the Iraqies for their own use and wanted to check out the prototypes first.
    Last edited by playtym; 01-20-2007 at 04:55 AM.

Hehe, the comparison between the Newcastle and Baghdad production line deosnt make the Baghdad one look very good. Looks like a serious piece of equipment though, nice pictures.

Is that Newcastle in Natal, South Africa, or Newcastle in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm View Post
    Is that Newcastle in Natal, South Africa, or Newcastle in the UK?
    See the original post....

The company manufacturing the REVA, ICP, currently has a production facility in Baghdad, Iraq [*******red]and another in New Castle, South Africa[/COLOR]. They are in the process of expanding their business into the United Arab Emerites.

Bar Fly, Junior Sleuth and MP.Net flat-pack furniture consultant.

Good find Platym!

Same vehicles we use,and I know the REVA guys in Baghdad very well

For Playtym
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reva_APC

Still needs some more work though.
    Last edited by Ironsight06; 01-22-2007 at 06:34 AM.

This is actually the MAMBA APC, but it is in production around the world so there are proberly quite a few names for it

The Mamba is a [*******#0000ff]South African[/COLOR] [*******#0000ff]Armoured Personnel Carrier[/COLOR] based on the [*******#0000ff]Unimog[/COLOR] that is ideally suited for regions with weak or no road infrastructure. The V-shape hull protects the crew against anti-tank mines by deflecting the blast. The Mamba is made by [*******#0000ff]Land Systems OMC[/COLOR], a subsidiary of [*******#0000ff]BAE Systems[/COLOR].
    Contents

Variants
    [[*******#0000ff]edit[/COLOR]] Operators
    [[*******#0000ff]edit[/COLOR]] Combat History
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamba_APC

[SIZE=5]RG-31 Nyala Mine Protected Vehicle[/SIZE]
    BAE Systems Land Systems / OMG

[CENTER] [/CENTER]

[CENTER][*******black][*******black][*******#800080][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][*******black][/CENTER]

[*******black]With a combat weight of 8,400 kg., the RG-31 MK3 4x4 Mine Protected APC is built from an all-steel welded armor monocoque hull, typical of South African mine protected vehicles, providing excellent small-arms and mine blast protection as well as small arms fire. The vehicle accommodates a crew of 10 including the driver. Dismounting is provided via a large rear door and two front doors. A different version, the RG-31M features a military wiring harness, central tire inflation and several other new characteristics. This Vehicle has a crew of 5. RG-31 is currently in service with US Army Task Force Pathfinder attached to the 82nd Airborne Division in Iraq. [/COLOR]
    [CENTER][FONT=Arial]It is also used with Explosive Ordinance Disposal units of the US Marine Corps, assisting location and neutralizing IED’s. [/FONT][*******black]Procurement of 148 additional vehicles, under a $97 million contract was announced in February 2005. [/COLOR]

[CENTER]A US Marine Corps RG-31 Cougar rests on its front axel after an improvised explosive device detonated under the vehicle near Camp Taqaddum, Iraq, Jan. 6. The IED detonated directly under the vehicle; however, the blast was pushed outward instead of directly straight up due to the vehicle's “V” –shaped undercarriage. Of the five service members in the vehicle, two received concussions and two others received minor burns. (Photo by: Courtesy photo by 8th Engineer Support Battalion) [/CENTER]

In November 2005 the Canadian government contracted General Dynamics Land Systems Canada (GDLS-C) to supply 50 RG-31 Mine Protected Vehicles with an option for 25 additional vehicles under a CAD $60.3 million (US $51.3 million) order[*******black] ([*******#0000ff]more info on Defense Industry Daily[/COLOR])[/COLOR]. An option for the procurement of 25 additional vehicles was exercised May 31st, 2006, at a cost of [*******black]Follow on order (CAD $31 million, US$ 28 million)[/COLOR]. The Canadian Armored Patrol Vehicle (APV) also known as Nyala incorporates a Kongsberg Protector M151 Remote Weapon Station, and is equipped with a day and night sighting system, which allows the operator to fire the weapon while remaining protected within the vehicle. [*******black]It also has an enhanced IED protection. The vehicles will be manufactured by BAE Land Systems OMC of South Africa, while GDLS-C will provide ongoing support. The vehicles were d[/COLOR]elivered early 2006 replacing some of the lightly armored G-Wagons used by the Canadian forces in Afghanistan in patrol duties. [*******black]The Canadian Army tested the RG-31s deploying three RG-31 vehicles, as part of its contribution to the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan. RG-31s have been extensively used with NATO forces in the former Yugoslavia and by United Nations (UN) forces in Lebanon, Georgia, Syria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Kosovo and by US forces in Iraq.[/COLOR] [LEFT]In [*******#0000ff]October 2006[/COLOR] the US Army awarded US$27 million to Dynamics Land Systems- Canada will produce 60 RG-31 Mk5 Mine Protected Vehicles, to be manufactured in South Africa by BAE Land Systems OMC. The vehicles will be delivered within 4 – 6 months. In November 2006 this order was increased to a total of 94 vehicles. In [*******#0000ff]January 2007[/COLOR] GDLS Canada received an additional US Army order for 169 vehicles, to be delivered over six months starting June 2007. The USD$76.5 million contract includes an option for additional nine additional vehicles[/LEFT]

[LEFT]http://www.defense-update.com/products/r/RG-31.htm[/LEFT]

[CENTER][/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by R/cst View Post
    This is actually the MAMBA APC, but it is in production around the world so there are proberly quite a few names for it.
    Nope, Mamba and Reva are 2 different things. Just look at the specs. You could say they are in the same class but certainly not the same family.

It is definatley NOT a mamba, it's much large than a Mamba, I've used both in Iraq

FN FAL Enthusiast & Saffie envoy for the League of Cantankerous Old Farts. Masai's Avatar
    Member of The Malicious League of Saffie H@X0R$ (MLSH) ™©

Have you seen Oryx's in Iraq yet ?

( http://oryx.armour.co.za/ )

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsight06 View Post
    Nope, Mamba and Reva are 2 different things. Just look at the specs. You could say they are in the same class but certainly not the same family.
    See I mean dude? Wiki strikes again!

Mamba and RG-31 is not the same vehicle. Mamba is smaller then RG-31 or Reva and is built on Unimog chassie (engine, transmission, axels, suspenssion comes from Mercedes-Benz).
    RG-31 has dimensions almost the same like Reva, only mass of RG-31 is bigger, the suspenssion is the same, wheels too. In my opinon Reva is a copy of RG-31, maybe cheaper, but it ist interesting alternative for RG-31 class.