Page 6 of 201 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Official - Recruits Enlisting into the Military thread

Quote Originally Posted by Miles. View Post
    Talk to your Dean and relevant school officials.

They will make it work. I know this to be the case at the University of Mississippi.

The last thing a school wants is a bad newspaper article about how they won't work with their students.
    Heh, the problem with that is the newspapers where i live usually side with the anti-military monkeys at my school. Military recruiters are not allowed on campus here. But to stay on topic, I want to go to BAC sometime after basic, when school isn't in, like winter break or after AIT next summer. What factors determine slots for students? My friend in the Army says I should ask and tell my unit asap when i report to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
    Are you going in as Marine Security Forces, or Marine Security Gaurd. Two different units. If you're going to one of the Security Forces or FAST Companies I can ask a couple of the guys I work with as they've been in various Security Force Companies, FAST, and the Security Force Training Company. I've also got a guy i my NG unit that was a MSG at the US Embassy in Haiti.

It's Marine Security Force not guard, I got the two mixed up while I was researching it. I wasn't even aware of its existence until a recruiter (who is my recruiter's co-worker) over heard our conversation and piped in. He was in MSF for his first 2 years. I went in to the office tonight to choose my MOS and was dead set on MP, but there aren't any openings until September. I didn't want to do anything else, and sat there looking through the list and descriptions of MOS's for about an hour without listing a single job that I found appealing until he brought this up. I'm qualified for it, but how likely is it that I will actually get this job? Is it rare to be offered this job, because there was another Poolee in the office who took an interest in it too, but was told he couldn't get it.

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

A good friend of mine in college was an MSG. He said it was great duty - a year or two in Uganda and then another year or two in Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Heazy View Post
    Heh, the problem with that is the newspapers where i live usually side with the anti-military monkeys at my school. Military recruiters are not allowed on campus here.

But to stay on topic, I want to go to BAC sometime after basic, when school isn't in, like winter break or after AIT next summer. What factors determine slots for students? My friend in the Army says I should ask and tell my unit asap when i report to them.
    I was told - grades, PT score, and availability of slots during the school breaks.

I really wouldn't be able to tell you about going to BAC after Basic.

Okay...I'm new...

Anyone here a member of the Civil Air Patrol?

Yeah, I enlisted in the reserves and I'm going to take ROTC once in college (current high school senior), and I'm wondering does it really make you "better" that you were enlisted first and will it affect your future promotions?

Quote Originally Posted by mi35d View Post
    I'll throw my quote from the previous thread...guy was interested in going Marine Corp. as Infantry...my advice was:

Reconsider your choice of infantry. (This coming from a prior 11B / 11H in the Army.)

There are numerous other MOS's that will give you practical training that you can use when you get out, even if you have no intention of following that career field after college. Consider that most future employers don't give a crap that you served, in fact some see it as a negative. With this in mind, which do you think might look better on a resume - Infantry or Tactical Intelligence Analyst?

Beyond future resume bullets, there's the practical side. Once you're beyond the "cool" factor of being infantry (and running around shooting guns and doing fieldcraft has its cool side), infantry quickly settles down and becomes rather mundane. Check on the various Intel and maintenance career fields - lots of things to do there and there are bonuses aplenty. If you just HAVE to go combat arms, consider Armor or Mech - why walk when you can ride.

There's also the aviation side of the Marine Corp. Aircraft crew chief - you get to fly and learn the maintenance side as well.

In the end, DO YOU RESEARCH. I was 17 and rushed into being an MP and when I look back after 23+ years, there were far better jobs available than the paths I took. I did what I did, but for you - take your time and find something that you'll like to do and will give you something back beyond your service days.
    i think that guy was me, at least im pretty sure. anyways, thanks for the advice and i def will consider it. i already have enlisted and ship off on the 26th of march and as of now my mos is m1 abrams crewman but i told the recruiter i might change it. thanks for the advice though man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Yeah, I enlisted in the reserves and I'm going to take ROTC once in college (current high school senior), and I'm wondering does it really make you "better" that you were enlisted first and will it affect your future promotions?
    I'm not saying from experience but it doesn't necessarily matter as you will recieve a commision as an officer which is a different experience and different training compared to being enlisted. But on the other hand, being enlisted, i think enhances your experience to what your future subordinates had to go through (somewhat). Thats primarily why i decided to join the reserves while in rotc. Are you planning to do reserves and rotc at the same time or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Heazy View Post
    I'm not saying from experience but it doesn't necessarily matter as you will recieve a commision as an officer which is a different experience and different training compared to being enlisted. But on the other hand, being enlisted, i think enhances your experience to what your future subordinates had to go through (somewhat). Thats primarily why i decided to join the reserves while in rotc. Are you planning to do reserves and rotc at the same time or something else?
    Yep, same time.

So how was it? Since you had first hand experience and all. The recruiter said it'll help me get promoted faster as an officer. I'm not sure if he's talking out of his ass or not.

I would also highly suggest contacting the rotc admissions officer at what ever school your going to or planning on attending. Mine helped me a lot to go through steps to make sure i don't get screwed over and helped me lay out my reserve duties and it's connections with concurrent enrollment with rotc. I think reserve duties and rotc will promote you faster but letting the army know your in rotc will make you have higher standards throughout your time. To me, promotion as an enlisted guy doesn't really matter because i'll get commisioned in 3 years, even though i'm getting promoted to E-2 because I already have 23 college credits.
    Last edited by Heazy; 03-03-2007 at 01:12 AM. Reason: oops didn't fully read your post, but ezekiel answered exactly what i was gonna say

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    From my experience, Mustangs were more respected then officers who were never enlisted. Just my experience. My first Platoon Commander was a Mustang.

I enlisted yesterday in the Army Reserve.

MOS 25S, Satellite Communications.

I leave May 2 for Fort Jackson for Basic, then to Fort Gordon for 26 freaking weeks of AIT.

Its not exactly a high speed job, but if anyone has any insight on being a 25S guy, I'd really appreciate it.

If your thinking of going to university and becoming an officer in the CF, try for the Civvie university plan. You go to a regular university, get it paid for by the CF and get a salary while in school. And you do a lot of your training during your summers off, so by the time you get commissioned you're almost completely trained (depending on your trade, for pilot it takes a while longer) Doesn't get any sweeter than that. Wish I knew about it.

checked in