Page 6 of 177 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141656106 ... LastLast

Thread: DPM kit

I have to say this thread has been really helpful for me in identifying the inaccuracies of my loadout. This pic is about as far as I've gotten so far. I need an accurate belt instead of the US issue one I'm wearing and I probably need to lose the gloves. Any other critiques or advice would be most appreciated.

Note: This was shot during an airsoft game in Utah in our load up area. The actual playing area was much more conducive to the woodland DPM I was wearing.

Either put some gear in the pouches of your vest, or loose it.

Get a PLCE or roll pin belt.

Wear a jungle hat or helmet.

Loose the gloves.

Tie your ankle ties in a bow and either tuck them in under the trouser at the front or tie them at the back.

Get yourself a smock and some CBA.

Thanks Royal, I'll get on it. I'm also curious about the infamous "Yank Stance." Am I correct in assuming that in this photo, I have assumed the "Yank Stance?"

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Thanks Royal, I'll get on it. I'm also curious about the infamous "Yank Stance." Am I correct in assuming that in this photo, I have assumed the "Yank Stance?"
    No, I'd describe it as more of a 'catalogue pose'

Just noticed - what's the black strap wrapped round the butt of your rifle? It shoudn't be there.

The black strap around the butt of the rifle is a strap used to attach my sling. I'm a lefty and it came with the sling I purchased for the rifle. Probably not too accurate is it?

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Probably not too accurate is it?
    No. The L85 can't be fired left handed - you'd get a face full of cocking handle and hot brass.

That explains why I never see anyone using it lefty

I'll second what royal said and add a few tips for everyone. Bear in mind that I'm not trying to tell you what to do, I couldn't care less if you dont want my advice, but I've got some spare time so I'll help you guys out.

OK. 95's first:

Trousers: Do up the bottom draw cords and wear them outside boots, not tucked in them like the yanks. If they're too long, use trouser elastics or rubber bands.

Shirt: Called the 'lightweight jacket'. It's worn tucked in to the trousers unless in very hot conditions. Not worn as a top layer unless it's very hot. It's not hard-wearing and has rubbish pockets so no good as a smock. Doesn't have to be worn if you have a smock on.

Smock: Either 95, windproof, para, arctic etc. Smocks are usually left slightly open at the top for making use of the 'Brecon pocket' (ie chuck it all down the front). Windproofs are sometimes made more 'tidy' by rolling the hood and doing up the bottom drawcord/folding up the bottom. 95 smocks are often worn with the bottom elastic cord done up and 'bloused'. Also, we keep loads of kit in our pockets. It is usually SOP to carry FFD/airways in the top left pocket, other items like compass, torch, pen/notepad, folding knife, TAMS, hat, gloves etc can go in the pockets too. Hence CBA is worn under the smock to enable access.

Head: Kevlar helmet or soft hat. Soft hats are either GREEN wooly hats or jungle hats. Dont wear crap hats (peaked caps) as these are only really worn by recruits. And they are really crap. Do wear something though, it breaks up your outline.

Gloves: Most people dont wear them unless there's a chance of burning/cutting your hands. Most people dont have fancy yanks nomex things either!

PLCE Equipment:

Wear either belt kit, chest rig or assault vest, not a combination.

Belt kit: Dont go overboard. Two ammo pouches (either side) plus three or four utility/waterbottle pouches depending on how fat you are. Dont wear resie pouches. Dont put pouches on the yoke. Make it neat and tidy, use a bungee on the outside and strap on the inside (refer to the belt kit thread to set it up). Make it so it doesn't bounce and makes no noise when you are running.

Chest rig: An FFD pouch or two/radio pouch. nowt else on it. Usually need a daysack with it. Dont wear it with belt kit or belt pouches, that defeats the purpose.

Assault vest: Ditto. Some lads who have pistols are wearing drop leg holsters. Best hang them off a rigger/trouser belt, not a chunky PLCE belt.

Daysack: Necessary for a proper attack. Full of GPMG link and grenades! Alternatively carrying a radio.

Would be good to see some lads here with belt kit rather than vests. And lastly, fill your kit up and use it so it gets worn in.

What size bergen (is that right?) would be the most accurate? Do you usually carry two canteens or just one with a standard loadout?

Thanks for all the help. These details are what I've been looking for to do this right.

Ok, a bergen is the large rucksack (120 litres) that you live out of. A daysack is a small (30 litres or so) pack that you'd carry a radio in, or extra ammo, warm kit etc. When patrolling with a bergen, the daysack is secured under the lid with the straps.

You would go into an attack with a daysack if extra ammo or a radio needed carrying. You wouldn't attack with a bergen on, they would be 'cached' prior to moving up for the attack.

Personally, I dont use the assault vest or chest rig. The pouches are poorly designed to get kit out in a hurry, especially the mag pouches.

My belt kit is set up as such:

Left to right:

-Ammo pouch (6 mags)
    -Waterbottle pouch (waterbottle and small brew kit)
    -Utility pouch (comms cord on fishing reel, cleaning kit in waterproof screwtop container, cleaning rods, torch with filters, 2x boil in the bag meals, four hexy blocks plus matches, three nails (to cook on), survival kit (not much use nowadays) and puritabs in a little bottle)
    -Utility pouch (personal med kit, trauma kit (compression dressingsx2, airways, chest seal, thoracocentesis needle, fluids and giving set (tourniquet is mounted on yoke))
    -Waterbottle pouch (second waterbotle, metal mug, spoon)
    -Utility pouch (empty, for grenades etc)

Add to that a bayonet frog on the left behind the ammo pouch and perhaps an FFD pouch or two.

Here's a pic of a Gurkha. Ignore the massive Kukhri knife and you can see how the belt kit sits around him from the left hip bone to the right.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Perfect, thank you for the detailed explanation. When I get the rest of my kit together I'll post an updated pic.

No worries. Glad to help.

Added this for my 2Para impression of the Falklands

Bit cold for that in the Falklands

Meh Para were wearing tropical pants with Para smock, though guys these Para