Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFO-Sinai a mission of peace

Default MFO-Sinai a mission of peace

http://www.mfo.org/

The mission of the MFO is to supervise the implementation of the security provisions of the Egyptian-Israeli Treaty of Peace and employ best efforts to prevent any violation of its terms.

Article II of Annex I to the Treaty of Peace establishes four security zones, three in the [*******#0000ff]Sinai[/COLOR] in Egypt and one in Israel along the international border. Limitations on military forces and equipment within each zone are stipulated in Annex I to the Treaty.

To execute the assigned mission, the Treaty Parties assigned to the MFO the following tasks:
    • Operation of checkpoints, reconnaissance patrols, and observation posts along the international boundary and Line B, and within Zone C.
    • Periodic verification of the implementation of the provisions of Annex I, to be carried out not less than twice a month unless otherwise agreed by the Parties.
    • Additional verifications within 48 hours after the receipt of a request from either Party.
    • Ensure the freedom of navigation through the Strait of Tiran

The MFO is an indpendent "task force", created after the Camp David Accords (1978). It is an independent international organization (non-UN peacekeeping force) and it is made up of different countries. The Multinational Force & Observers is responsible for supervising implementation of the security provisions of the Treaty of Peace between Egypt and Israel.
    The "Batallón de Infantería Colombia" No. 3 (Infantry Battalion No. 3 "Colombia"), abbreviated BICOL, is attached to the MFO.
    The Colombian Battolian in the MFO has been here since the 1978 Camp David Accords.So there has been alot of change in the Battolians camo.

1988 camo

Hard to see.Remote Colombian observation post.

The Colombian Contingent consists of an infantry battalion comprised of thirty-one officers, fifty-eight non-commissioned officers, 265 soldiers and three civilians. The battalion's mission is to observe and report any activities in the central part of Zone C in accordance with the Treaty and Protocol and to provide security for North Camp. The Colombian battalion (COLBATT) also provides fourteen soldiers that augment the Force staff, two medical and dental officers, a Force Liaison Officer and a Force Security Officer.

Colombia has participated in the Multinational Force and Observers by providing an infantry battalion since the inception of the mission. Colombians are assigned to the Sinai for an eight-month tour of duty with one half of the battalion rotating every four months. The Battalion Commander serves a one-year tour of duty.

The battalion accomplishes its mission by maintaining elements of the two infantry companies distributed in seven [*******#0000ff]remote sites[/COLOR] in the Central Sector of Zone C. The remainder of the battalion provides the security for North Camp.

The remote sites perform their mission by permanently manning, seven days a week, 24 hours a day, their respective sites and by augmenting the remote sites with Temporary Observation Posts and Motorized Patrols ensuring wide and continuous observation in their area of responsibility.

Each of the rifle companies provides a fifty-man guard on alternate days providing the security for North Camp. The company on duty is in charge of the security of the Main Gate, ten watch-towers located around the perimeter of North Camp and the security and access to the South Gate.

In addition to their operational mission duties, Colombian Contingent personnel participate across the range of military, cultural and sporting activities offered by the Force. The Contingent enjoys participating in all team and individual sports programmed by the Force.

Colombia is proud of its contribution to the MFO and the role of the MFO in promoting peace and stability in the Middle East.
    Link: [*******#0000ff]www.ejercito.mil.co[/COLOR]

Article 2 of Annex I of the Peace Treaty called for the Sinai Peninsula to be divided into zones. Within these zones, Egypt and Israel were permitted varying degrees of military build-up:
    • Zone A: Between the [*******#0000ff]Suez Canal[/COLOR] and Line A. Egypt is permitted a mechanised infantry division with a total of 22,000 troops in Zone A.
    • Zone B: Between Line A and Line B. Egypt is permitted four border security battalions to support the civilian police in Zone B.
    • Zone C: Between Line B and the Egypt-Israel border. Only the MFO and the Egyptian civilian police are permitted within Zone C.
    • Zone D: Between the Egypt-Israel border and Line D. Israel is permitted four infantry battalions in Zone D.
    Within Zone C there are two main installations:
    In addition there are thirty smaller sites at various points within Zone C and at least one remote observation post (OP 3-11) located offland on a tiny island, requiring resupply by air.

Nations Involved
    The personnel for these come from a total of eleven* countries:
    (*[*******#0000ff]Netherlands[/COLOR]- Until 1994, which were replaced by Hungary)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multina..._and_Observers

Thank you Italian friend.Any more photos of any MFO units welcomed.

^^^
    An Army colleague of my dad's did some time with the UN in the Sinai back in the 80's I think. The last time I saw him he showed me some pictures. If I hear from him I'll see if he can send me some pictures. But he is currently working for Exxon Mobile in Siberia so...

My cousin did time there back when he was a member of the 101st (IIRC for the unit)

Default Friends

Good job for Colombia keeping the Colombia Battalion over there. I have plenty of friends and relatives that served in this battalion. the only sad thing was the dead of a young Colombian Soldier in an Accident over a gas tanks.

Hay! I was part of the MFO rotation with 25th ID back in 2000. I was at South Camp near Sharm el Shiekh. I'll have to dig up some photos and throw them up here. Should I make a new thread or throw them on this one?

Ethos feel free to throw them in here.So we can have a nice lot of photos.

I believe I found this in a Todays Pixs thread from last November

Exuse the quality, I took digital snaps of my prints. The prints aren't even that good (this is why they said never let the Egyptians develop your film, oops).

Herb's Beach, Southcamp.

That's me up there. I was a commo guy.

Tiran Island. It looks small from here but believe me, it's not. I had to help resupply the checkpoint on the top when "no-fly" was in effect because the Egyptian president was in the area. The Italians boated us over to the island and we carried all their milk, mail and meat to them. I don't remember how long it was but it was sporty.

Night and day view from Southcamp of a resort in Sharm El Sheikh.

This was one of my jobs, running the TV station.

Not much of a qualification range, but it works.

The amphitheater. Good times when the USO girls came by.

Nice photos Ethos.Any more do post friend
    You came through in style

Default Ethos

I hear that the RED SEA its one of the best spots in the world for diving,
    But after these images I wish that I served in the military over there.

Oh yeah, a bunch of guys took scuba lessons. I wish I did but I didn't have the time. I did go snorkeling a lot though. We used to take boiled eggs from the chow hall and go in the water with them. Break on up under water and watch the huge cloud of fish (purple, yellow, green beautiful fish) swarm around you and eat it up. Absolutely beautiful water, very salty though.

Default Envy

Quote Originally Posted by ethos View Post
    Oh yeah, a bunch of guys took scuba lessons. I wish I did but I didn't have the time. I did go snorkeling a lot though. We used to take boiled eggs from the chow hall and go in the water with them. Break on up under water and watch the huge cloud of fish (purple, yellow, green beautiful fish) swarm around you and eat it up. Absolutely beautiful water, very salty though.
    Man, I really envy those guys who served there. I have a Friend in Israel. Hope to visit him very soon. Then we will go to Eliat for Diving several times.
    But, after all we in Colombia also have fantastic spots for diving.
    All are invited and welkome to visit them. contact me for future tours or to let you know more information about it.