Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liberation of Paris: The hidden truth

Quote Originally Posted by foxtrot023 View Post
    PS. The first liberators of Paris were Spaniards
    True ! The 2nd French Armored Division had a lot of Spaniards among its soldiers. Under French uniform, true, but of Spanish nationality.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    The revelation, drawn from US and UK military archives, coincides with the success of the Franco-Algerian film, Les Indigènes which tells the almost forgotten story of the north African troops who fought in Italy and southern and eastern France in 1943-44.
    You mean raping everything alive from Sicily till Rome? They were even worst than russians. I have even heard that some of the U.S. troops wanted to shoot their North African comrades even more than enemy germans.

Quote Originally Posted by koko View Post
    You mean raping everything from Sicily till Rome? They were even worst than russians. I have even heard that some of the U.S. troops wanted to shoot their North African comrades even more than enemy germans.

One of the most inaccurate films ever to be made. The proportion of casualties among European French troops, both officers and squaddies, was higher than that of the indigènes.

Quote Originally Posted by koko View Post
    You mean raping everything alive from Sicily till Rome? They were even worst than russians. I have even heard that some of the U.S. troops wanted to shoot their North African comrades even more than enemy germans.
    Care to elaborate and document ? It's always nice to back up innuendo with facts.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by AROUETLJ View Post
    One of the most inaccurate films ever to be made. The proportion of casualties among European French troops, both officers and squaddies, was higher than that of the indigènes.
    I believe you are correct. From what I've read over the years, plus what I've been hearing lately, this film is full of inaccuracies and has even been denounced by several veterans associations as being completely and unfairly biased for the sake of making a general if minor point.

I will still view it to see for myself, though I don't think it's been released in the US.

As for civilian casualties by arab/african troops, another interesting read is "Army At Dawn" by Rick Atkinson, in which it is described how US soldiers used locals in North Africa as target practice. There were crimes and violations commited by all sides. If they were all to be tried, trials for WW 2 crimes would still be taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by phoilme View Post
    you disected that article pretty professionally StukaJr. I was a bit perplexed on why all the unassociated information the writer used to support the theme.
    X2 well done