Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Goretex Jackets: U.S., British, German?

Question Best Goretex Jackets: U.S., British, German?

For those that have seen some of these jackets and can make comparisons, which military has the best goretex jackets: U.S., Germany, Dutch, or British.
    I've seen the German goretex and they seem really thin, but a little more quiet than other goretex jackets. What one would you recommend?

I would recoment the Norwegian gore-tex suit.

I use the US ECWCS and the Arktis waterproof suit. The US is stronger made but the Arktis is more comfortable and quiet. I've never used the Norwegian in the field but it looks superbly made

Banned user

French CEC jacket.

I got one for Xmas from the wife, and took it for a two week shunt round the scottish highlands.

Robust, extremely well made, and a hood that defies description: Its deep, got an excellent visor on it, toggles down nice and snug, and kept me extremely dry in even the most extreme down pours we had.

Under arm pit zips are fantastic on it (coming down to the elbow) nice pocket lay out.... Oh I could go on and on, but if you can get your hands on one of these you cannot go wrong.

If you want to have a look ill post some pics for you. : )

I've used the US (Marpat issue), Brit issue and Aus issue jackets.

The Marpat one definately comes out on top; it's quiet, and the pockets are more functional than the others.

I own all of them
    Usa version real gore, durable, great vent pits, great pockets ,super hoodieand exellent zipper
    German version 3-lagen-laminat thin, quiet ,bad pockets,bad hoodie and bad zipper
    British version real gore best defence,hoodie with memory wire super,pockets ok and graet zipper
    Dutch version I own 6 different versions the first cotton outside bilaminaat insert, quiet , loose hoodie real bad.ok pockets
    Second version quiet cotton outside, no hoodie pockets ok and great zipper
    Version 6 trilaminaat great hoodie with memory wire,good pockets.
    Spain zero points bad bad jacket
    NR UNO US VERSION
    And the pants is the german the winner by miles
    The zipper is important, because cold fingers rough touch.
    jaaja bad english
    Last edited by jsb; 02-10-2007 at 11:00 AM.

What's the NSN of the British Jacket? Any Photos?

This the OD version, but I would say the canadian jacket is the best by far. Of course I've only used canadian stuff in the field, but its gets damm cold here abd it worked great.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Banned user

Sorry, realised French jacket not in the origional list.

Deleted all pictures and details.
    Last edited by K3rmit; 02-10-2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: realised French jacket not in the list O/P asked about.

Marine APECS (all purpose enviornmental clothing system)

Best Camo (your choice, digital Woodland or Desert)
    Stowable Hood, adj draw string collar, waterproof zippers,
    2 chest map pockets, 2 large storage pockets, hand warmer pockets,
    Hem and waist draw strings hidden in pockets, 2 shoulder pockets, reinforced elbows, no lining for lighter weight and better layering,
    pit zips, properly cut for layering, 3 ply real gore-tex. Trousers built similar. Parka $190, Trousers $90
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by Gomez View Post
    What's the NSN of the British Jacket? Any Photos?

Not sure what the NSN for it is. The only thing I tend to dislike is the lack of pockets, but I guess thats one of the reason you wear the soldier 95 combat jacket over the top of it, as well as cutting down on noise.

The Canadian jacket is CRAP! It's mediocre if you only have to stand around a la Yugo 1993, or if you are working in garrison.

It's extremely thick and will not breathe, the goretex is underneath the top layer of poly/cotton. The jacket soaks up water and weighs about double once soaked.

It is no way comes close to the Brit, US or German jackets, which are all shells under which you can layer. The closet we have to a goretex shell (At the moment), is the airforce CADPAT shell issued for all working on the flight lines.

Until such time as the army issues a CADPAT shell (Which is in the works) , CF land forces soldiers will either continue to wear stealth suits under their combats or steal the jackets of their airforce brethern.

Cheers
    Noneck

Quote Originally Posted by noneck11 View Post
    The Canadian jacket is CRAP! It's mediocre if you only have to stand around a la Yugo 1993, or if you are working in garrison.

It's extremely thick and will not breathe, the goretex is underneath the top layer of poly/cotton. The jacket soaks up water and weighs about double once soaked.

It is no way comes close to the Brit, US or German jackets, which are all shells under which you can layer. The closet we have to a goretex shell (At the moment), is the airforce CADPAT shell issued for all working on the flight lines.

Until such time as the army issues a CADPAT shell (Which is in the works) , CF land forces soldiers will either continue to wear stealth suits under their combats or steal the jackets of their airforce brethern.

Cheers
    Noneck
    Yes, I should consider the stealth suit also. All the Canadian guys usually say it's the best bit of kit they've ever purchased. I just don't know how durable it would be if it's just the pure Goretex membrane.

Banned user

Sorry, will not post in forums until I understand the origional question: You didn't ask about French kit, so i deleted all the details.
    Last edited by K3rmit; 02-10-2007 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Wrong thread to post in.

Quote Originally Posted by K3rmit View Post
    Sorry, will not post in forums until I understand the origional question: You didn't ask about French kit, so i deleted all the details.
    Dude, I just wanted suggestions on military goretex jackets and what people thought were the best ones. You didn't have to edit your info, and it's not limited to the ones I mentioned. Those were just the ones I could think of at the time. I will say, it must be pretty hard to find the French ones in America though.

LEATHERNECK-

Most Cdn troops that wear the stealth suit, wear it under their top layer of cbt clothing to both protect the thin membrane and protect them from the uniform nazi's.

I used to use the OG German Goretex rain jacket in the same manner.

Cheers
    Noneck