Page 101 of 141 FirstFirst ... 519193949596979899100101102103104105106107108109111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2114

Thread: Pictures of Singapore Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Ho View Post
    Actually what Singapore lacks most is land, and everything else that comes with it... Asking how S'pore intends to deal with that will make an even more interesting discussion...
    Though, it might be an interesting discussion, before you can get the land, you have to solve the issue of my question with regards to the casualties right? Even if you buy real estate from one of your neighbors and claim it as yours sooner or later, your resolve will have to be tested.

My question is actually connected to your lack of land, since you dont have land to sacrifice for time, then shouldnt your people be more resilved to die for it? Im looking at the IDF, lack of land so they tend to be more aggressive not just in their arms development but in how they act. More of a siege mentality.

Now I am not saying you should be the same, again I was just wondering how the SAF is planning to address that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Though, it might be an interesting discussion, before you can get the land, you have to solve the issue of my question with regards to the casualties right? Even if you buy real estate from one of your neighbors and claim it as yours sooner or later, your resolve will have to be tested.

My question is actually connected to your lack of land, since you dont have land to sacrifice for time, then shouldnt your people be more resilved to die for it? Im looking at the IDF, lack of land so they tend to be more aggressive not just in their arms development but in how they act. More of a siege mentality.

Now I am not saying you should be the same, again I was just wondering how the SAF is planning to address that issue.
    Oh, its simple. We build up. Thats why we got High Density Blocks/Buildings (HDB). Saves land space, but takes air space.

Quote Originally Posted by goat89 View Post
    Oh, its simple. We build up. Thats why we got High Density Blocks/Buildings (HDB). Saves land space, but takes air space.
    Haha! Ok that one's solved. You guys do know what I mean right about the addressing the combat issue? Can you imagine a SAF that has the equipment it has right now and the man power that's say tested in A-stan.

Haha! Ok that one's solved. You guys do know what I mean right about the addressing the combat issue? Can you imagine a SAF that has the equipment it has right now and the man power that's say tested in A-stan.
    We have little man power over there... not much in a combat sense... but we have the technological capability to support missions overseas, which I feel is what we do the best over there.

- you have to solve the issue of my question with regards to the casualties right?
    - your resolve will have to be tested.
    - shouldnt your people be more resolved to die for it?
    - lack of land so they tend to be more aggressive
    You are not gonna get any answers to your questions, my Pinoy friend... You are asking S'pore to behave like Israel and suggesting for us to go to war to take over our neighbours' land, NO ONE will openly support your idea even if it's what they feel. And the only reason why I'm engaging u in this discussion is because I'm bored.

You are not gonna get any answers to your questions, my Pinoy friend... You are asking S'pore to behave like Israel and suggesting for us to go to war to take over our neighbours' land, NO ONE will openly support your idea even if it's what they feel. And the only reason why I'm engaging u in this discussion is because of my BOREDOM.

Didn't mention of going to war with your neighbors. You never got my point.

this is GLTD right????

its true that every nation would like to have a force that has seen actual combat...I'm not surprised if our forces have been sent on clandestine missions to places...

the other alternative is to have tonnes of war games using MILES/TES systems

Quote Originally Posted by bdique View Post
    its true that every nation would like to have a force that has seen actual combat...I'm not surprised if our forces have been sent on clandestine missions to places...

Thank you! I was just simply asking how SAF is planning on addressing this issue.

Ok JJ, enough kidding with you, sorry for wasting your time...

Ok, I'll b serious now and try to answer your question based on my own personal views.... Your question is why does the SAF not test its seemingly well-equipped and well-trained soldiers in combat ops and gain real fighting experience?

IMO, I think the policy of S'pore govt is always to be everyone's friend and nobody's enemy. We want to be the friends of US and China at the same time, friends with M'sia and Indonesia, friends with Israel and Arab nations. So, how can we be a friend of one without offending the other? Well, by showing support yet not fully involved, and not straying too far from the fence...

The Govt. is also unwilling to face the domestic political repercussions if casualties are sustained during overseas combat. Putting our soldiers lives at risk just to gain combat experience? This may be an reasonable end in itself for professional soldiers, but it'll not go down well with majority of the electorate in a nation with little military culture.

Unlike some Western armies, SAF is not full of professional soldiers dying to go to combat and will leave the military if they do not get a chance to do so. If there are, such soldiers are just a small minority in the SOF. As I've mentioned, the SAF is led and filled by career soldiers who are officers and senior enlisted men earning a living, very few of them sign up to put their lives on the line in the battlefield.

So how does the SAF plan to address the issue? I'm not sure it is even an issue with the Govt. I think as what bdique says, SAF may send small number of career soldiers to be embedded with allied forces in combat ops, but other than that I think things will remain the same as now.

Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by Cpl Ho; 11-24-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdique View Post

I always had the impression that since pictures of our commandos, or naval divers as far as i could remember were never mosaic-ed for opsec, they wouldn't have gone on any real ops.

Ok JJ, enough kidding with you, sorry for wasting your time...

Ok, I'll b serious now and try to answer your question based on my own personal views.... Your question is why does the SAF not test its seemingly well-equipped and well-trained soldiers in combat ops and gain real fighting experience?

IMO, I think the policy of S'pore govt is always to be everyone's friend and nobody's enemy. We want to be the friends of US and China at the same time, friends with M'sia and Indonesia, friends with Israel and Arab nations. So, how can we be a friend of one without offending the other? Well, by showing support yet not fully involved, and not straying too far from the fence...

The Govt. is also unwilling to face the domestic political repercussions if casualties are sustained during overseas combat. Putting our soldiers lives at risk just to gain combat experience? This may be an reasonable end in itself for professional soldiers, but it'll not go down well with majority of the electorate in a nation with little military culture.

Unlike some Western armies, SAF is not full of professional soldiers dying to go to combat and will leave the military if they do not get a chance to do so. If there are, such soldiers are just a small minority in the SOF. As I've mentioned, the SAF is led and filled by career soldiers who are officers and senior enlisted men earning a living, very few of them sign up to put their lives on the line in the battlefield.

So how does the SAF plan to address the issue? I think as what bdique says, SAF may send small number of career soldiers to be embedded with allied forces in combat ops, but en mass things will remain as it is as I don't think the issue is very high on the Govt's agenda.

Hope this answers your question.
    Thanks Cpl Ho, this is inline with the impression that I got from your reply and Bdique. more power to your SAF.

Quote Originally Posted by laurentrox View Post
    I always had the impression that since pictures of our commandos, or naval divers as far as i could remember were never mosaic-ed for opsec, they wouldn't have gone on any real ops.
    If they have gone for real covert ops, there won't be any pictures... other than the high-profile MI 185 rescue... and if they DID go for real covert ops, we won't hear abt it, eh?

LOL Bdique... I remember when I was young, the talk of Commandos was that they were active in the Philippines agst Abu Sayyaf... black ops style... ah... how I remmeber my youth...
    PS: Just a very bland rumour of course. I know not of its origins, but am very sure it never happened.

If they have gone for real covert ops, there won't be any pictures... other than the high-profile MI 185 rescue... and if they DID go for real covert ops, we won't hear abt it, eh?

remember this one?

Caption: U.S. Army Gen. George W. Casey Jr., the Army's chief of staff, greets Singaporean soldiers in Singapore, Aug. 26, 2009. The soldiers recently returned from Afghanistan. U.S. Army photo by D. Myles Cullen

dun need mosaic, just skillful photography