Page 101 of 140 FirstFirst ... 519193949596979899100101102103104105106107108109111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2098

Thread: Pictures of Singapore Armed Forces

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Didn't mention of going to war with your neighbors. You never got my point.
    Ok JJ, enough kidding with you, sorry for wasting your time...

Ok, I'll b serious now and try to answer your question based on my own personal views.... Your question is why does the SAF not test its seemingly well-equipped and well-trained soldiers in combat ops and gain real fighting experience?

IMO, I think the policy of S'pore govt is always to be everyone's friend and nobody's enemy. We want to be the friends of US and China at the same time, friends with M'sia and Indonesia, friends with Israel and Arab nations. So, how can we be a friend of one without offending the other? Well, by showing support yet not fully involved, and not straying too far from the fence...

The Govt. is also unwilling to face the domestic political repercussions if casualties are sustained during overseas combat. Putting our soldiers lives at risk just to gain combat experience? This may be an reasonable end in itself for professional soldiers, but it'll not go down well with majority of the electorate in a nation with little military culture.

Unlike some Western armies, SAF is not full of professional soldiers dying to go to combat and will leave the military if they do not get a chance to do so. If there are, such soldiers are just a small minority in the SOF. As I've mentioned, the SAF is led and filled by career soldiers who are officers and senior enlisted men earning a living, very few of them sign up to put their lives on the line in the battlefield.

So how does the SAF plan to address the issue? I'm not sure it is even an issue with the Govt. I think as what bdique says, SAF may send small number of career soldiers to be embedded with allied forces in combat ops, but other than that I think things will remain the same as now.

Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by Cpl Ho; 11-24-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdique View Post
    its true that every nation would like to have a force that has seen actual combat...I'm not surprised if our forces have been sent on clandestine missions to places...

the other alternative is to have tonnes of war games using MILES/TES systems
    I always had the impression that since pictures of our commandos, or naval divers as far as i could remember were never mosaic-ed for opsec, they wouldn't have gone on any real ops.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Ho View Post
    Ok JJ, enough kidding with you, sorry for wasting your time...

Ok, I'll b serious now and try to answer your question based on my own personal views.... Your question is why does the SAF not test its seemingly well-equipped and well-trained soldiers in combat ops and gain real fighting experience?

IMO, I think the policy of S'pore govt is always to be everyone's friend and nobody's enemy. We want to be the friends of US and China at the same time, friends with M'sia and Indonesia, friends with Israel and Arab nations. So, how can we be a friend of one without offending the other? Well, by showing support yet not fully involved, and not straying too far from the fence...

The Govt. is also unwilling to face the domestic political repercussions if casualties are sustained during overseas combat. Putting our soldiers lives at risk just to gain combat experience? This may be an reasonable end in itself for professional soldiers, but it'll not go down well with majority of the electorate in a nation with little military culture.

Unlike some Western armies, SAF is not full of professional soldiers dying to go to combat and will leave the military if they do not get a chance to do so. If there are, such soldiers are just a small minority in the SOF. As I've mentioned, the SAF is led and filled by career soldiers who are officers and senior enlisted men earning a living, very few of them sign up to put their lives on the line in the battlefield.

So how does the SAF plan to address the issue? I think as what bdique says, SAF may send small number of career soldiers to be embedded with allied forces in combat ops, but en mass things will remain as it is as I don't think the issue is very high on the Govt's agenda.

Hope this answers your question.
    Thanks Cpl Ho, this is inline with the impression that I got from your reply and Bdique. more power to your SAF.

Quote Originally Posted by laurentrox View Post
    I always had the impression that since pictures of our commandos, or naval divers as far as i could remember were never mosaic-ed for opsec, they wouldn't have gone on any real ops.
    If they have gone for real covert ops, there won't be any pictures... other than the high-profile MI 185 rescue... and if they DID go for real covert ops, we won't hear abt it, eh?

LOL Bdique... I remember when I was young, the talk of Commandos was that they were active in the Philippines agst Abu Sayyaf... black ops style... ah... how I remmeber my youth...
    PS: Just a very bland rumour of course. I know not of its origins, but am very sure it never happened.

If they have gone for real covert ops, there won't be any pictures... other than the high-profile MI 185 rescue... and if they DID go for real covert ops, we won't hear abt it, eh?

remember this one?

Caption: U.S. Army Gen. George W. Casey Jr., the Army's chief of staff, greets Singaporean soldiers in Singapore, Aug. 26, 2009. The soldiers recently returned from Afghanistan. U.S. Army photo by D. Myles Cullen

dun need mosaic, just skillful photography

^HAHHAH BDique, you cheeky bugger!!! ><
    Wat about this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjqD7kjZpRw

not so much about the ops, but rather, to keep the identities of the operators who might have participated in these ops secret. so i was thinking if they don't do all that censoring stuff in press releases or any other publications, they wouldn't have even gone on ops before.

Quote Originally Posted by goat89 View Post
    Wat about this?
    haha, commandos, not the chatty sort huh, he doesn't look like he likes the camera and stuff.

Wat about this?
    Haha, he didn't really describe much anyways, I mean he can't say 'I did recce missions to sniff out insurgents' can he?...btw OT but our top brass oughta have something like that...I dunno, imagine a Twitter feed from the CDF!

Default EX Safkar

[IMG]http://i45.*******.com/m9ljxydotjpg[/IMG]
    Infantry soldiers from Singapore and Indonesia training alongside each other at the Murai Urban Training Facility during Exercise Safkar Indopura.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/350v04wdotjpg[/IMG]
    Chief of Army Major-General Neo Kian Hong briefing the Indonesian National Army's Deputy Chief of Staff Lieutenant-General Johanes Suryo Prabowo on the Advanced Combat Man System (ACMS).
    The Singapore and Indonesian armies successfully concluded their annual bilateral exercise this morning with a closing ceremony officiated by Chief of Army Major-General (MG) Neo Kian Hong and the Deputy Chief of Staff of the Indonesian National Army (TNI-AD), Lieutenant-General (LG) Johanes Suryo Prabowo, at the Murai Urban Training Facility (MUTF). This year's Exercise Safkar Indopura, the 21st in its series, was hosted by Singapore.

About 400 personnel from Headquarters 3rd Singapore Infantry Brigade and 5th Battalion, Singapore Infantry Regiment took part in the exercise with 210 personnel from the 13th Infantry Brigade, KOSTRAD (Strategic Reserve Command) and 100 RAIDER Battalion, KODAM I (Military Area Command I), TNI-AD. Conventional and urban operations training were executed during the exercise held from 15 to 24 Nov 09.

The successful conduct of Exercise Safkar Indopura 2009 underscores the excellent defence relations between Singapore and Indonesia. Besides bilateral exercises, the Singapore Armed Forces and the Indonesian National Armed Forces also engage in professional exchanges and informal interaction sessions which have enhanced the close cooperation and mutual understanding between the two armed forces.

From MINDEF

Quote Originally Posted by laurentrox View Post
    haha, commandos, not the chatty sort huh, he doesn't look like he likes the camera and stuff.
    Haha... he's like 'Wah piang eh... sabo me sia... say what? I also dun know what to say loh...'

LOL Bdique... I remember when I was young, the talk of Commandos was that they were active in the Philippines agst Abu Sayyaf... black ops style... ah... how I remmeber my youth...
    PS: Just a very bland rumour of course. I know not of its origins, but am very sure it never happened.
    Dont be so sure.
    S'pore got a bit uncomfortable with some goings on regarding weapons smuggling that involved AS and one of its sponsors.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoak View Post
    Dont be so sure.
    S'pore got a bit uncomfortable with some goings on regarding weapons smuggling that involved AS and one of its sponsors.
    More info plz!!!

I'll PM you