Page 9 of 183 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Falklands 30

I wonder if there's a good book for the Royal Marines operating in South Georgia and retaking operation with the SAS. Everybody keeps forgetting South Georgia, but I was always had a high regard for those marines firing LAWs against an argentine frigate!

In addition are there any official operation within Argentina by SAS perhaps or near the chilean border?

^edit: from what I read here, there's not a specific book about SAS ops in Argentina. Maybe those operations are still classified..
    Last edited by phoebus; 03-22-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoebus View Post
    I wonder if there's a good book for the Royal Marines operating in South Georgia and retaking operation with the SAS. Everybody keeps forgetting South Georgia, but I was always had a high regard for those marines firing LAWs against an argentine frigate!

In addition are there any official operation within Argentina by SAS perhaps or near the chilean border?

^edit: from what I read here, there's not a specific book about SAS ops in Argentina. Maybe those operations are still classified..
    I think that the majority of information relating to the UKSF ops on the Argentine mainland are still classified, but we can hope.

There is one book giving extremely good coverage of the entire South Georgia operation - in fact it is one of the best books on the 1982 conflict.

Operation Paraquat by Roger Perkins

ISBN-13: 978-0948251139

It has been out of print for some time, but can still be found.

Amazon.co.uk

ABE Books

If anyone is really stuck and wants this one - it can be obtained from either of the above sellers.

There is also some coverage of this in:

Beyond Endurance by Captain Nick Parker

ISBN-13: 978-0850525229

Amazon.co.uk

ABE Books

There is also some coverage in Peter Ratcliffe's Eye of the storm.

Any queries, shoot me a PM.

Cheers mate, I appreciate you gave me this info. I'll try and buy one of them. I'm more of a book reader in military history.

Another interesting aspect of the war was equiping the Nimrods with AIM-9L sidewinders and making those long ASW patrols from the Ascension island (sorry for spelling).

The logistics between Great Britain and the islands is also worth mentioning.

Quote Originally Posted by phoebus View Post
    Cheers mate, I appreciate you gave me this info. I'll try and buy one of them. I'm more of a book reader in military history.

Another interesting aspect of the war was equiping the Nimrods with AIM-9L sidewinders and making those long ASW patrols from the Ascension island (sorry for spelling).

The logistics between Great Britain and the islands is also worth mentioning.
    Again, the Ascension Island story is well told:

Island Base by Bob McQueen

ISBN-13: 978-1904445180

Amazon.co.uk

The Ascension connection is also very well explained in great detail in

Vulcan 607 by Rowland White

ISBN-13: 978-0593053911

Amazon.co.uk

I ought to be on commission from Amazon.

A close friend and neighbour of mine was on the very early Nimrod missions out of Ascension.

Diagnosis: chronic mpnetoholism (F99.9)

Nice selection of archival pix from one agency

British troops arriving in the Falklands Islands during the Falklands War.

Thanks Switek. Nice pics.

l haven't seen m2hb standart weapon sysytem of English army in the MOD website..l think it is only used sas Forces..

The .50 M2 was used by various units during the Falklands conflict for AA purposes. This was the start of its re-introduction into the British armoury.

BTW - the .50cal M2 QCB is manufactured in Britain with a specially developed quick-change barrel system developed by Manroy Engineering.

The QCB version is easily identified by the barrel-change handle.

Manroy's AA mount may also look familiar:

Last edited by DeltaWhisky58; 03-22-2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Additional material

Is that a S61\SeaKing inbound in the background?

Yes - by the look of it, it's a Mk.4 - the troop carrying version.

l heard that mrs.iron lady got the codes of argentians excoset missiles to make them useless from france...so argentain couldnt use many of them againist English forces...was it true?
    as a theoery if argentians used them result of the war might be different...does anyone know anything about this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by intikam View Post

l heard that mrs.iron lady got the codes of argentians excoset missiles to make them useless from france...so argentain couldnt use many of them againist English forces...was it true?
    as a theoery if argentians used them result of the war might be different...does anyone know anything about this topic?
    Such things have long been rumoured, but have never been confirmed. As the Argentines only had five air-launched Exocets by April/May 1982. They launched all 5 and failed to acquire any more thanks to the efforts of the British intelligence services, it seems unlikely.

Argentina made huge efforts to acquire more Exocets from sources wordwide, but none were thought to have got through by the time hostilities ended in June 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by intikam View Post
    I believe Argentina only had 5-6 missiles stockpiled at the start of the war, and used them all.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    I believe Argentina only had 5-6 missiles stockpiled at the start of the war, and used them all.
    I think one was used from a shore battery targeting a RN Vessel (line on sight method).

Quote Originally Posted by Ordie View Post
    I think one was used from a shore battery targeting a RN Vessel (line on sight method).
    Two of the ship-to-ship version of the Exocet were set up on a flatbed trailer just outside Stanley. These were not targeted by line of site - rather a jury rig using an army radar system was cobbled together by a couple of naval officers. The first attempts to launch did not work, but later they got the link-up working successfully. The first was launched at a British warship and missed, however the second missile hit HMS Glamorgan on 12th June killing 13 men.