Page 49 of 184 FirstFirst ... 3941424344454647484950515253545556575999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Falklands 30

I may have mentioned it earlier, but the book "Twilight Warriors" by Martin Arostegui has an account of the struggle for Mount Kent between the SAS/Royal Marines and Argentine 601/602 commando battalion, beginning with the ambush described above and ending with the battle of Top Malo House.

Seargent Mario A. Cisnero was the only comando who died that day ( June 9th). 1st lieutenant Horacio Lauría and others comandos planned to recover the body of the fallen comrade, but they have spent most of their ammunition during the battle.

Still reading "Comandos en Acción", great book about the Comando's operation during the war. Just give me some time to do some translations (exams are keeping me very busy).

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    I may have mentioned it earlier, but the book "Twilight Warriors" by Martin Arostegui has an account of the struggle for Mount Kent between the SAS/Royal Marines and Argentine 601/602 commando battalion, beginning with the ambush described above and ending with the battle of Top Malo House.
    Just picked up a a copy for £0.01 + £2.75 postage on Amazon.co.uk

I just came across the following pic on the MOD site, to me it looks like the Soldiers of the Falkland Islands Defence Force are using the Steyr Aug.Can anybody confirm this please?
    http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod....777C28AEF58384

This is very old news. The FIDF have been using the Steyr AUG for many years, and this has been covered in numerous threads here on MP.Net.

The reason for the adoption of the AUG is that the FIDF is funded directly by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office and not the MoD, and was thus able to choose its own weapons.

Thanks a lot, never heard about that, just wondered.

what does the UK have on the islands militarily anyways?

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted kayaker's Avatar
    At the wall table of a greasy spoon cafeteria with a battered,red Mini outside..with Mary on my mind

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaWhisky58 View Post

.... and the monumental balls up by Guards officers resulting in the huge casualties on RFA Sir Galahad following the bombing of 8th June...
    Where can I learn more about this incident?

Despite being one of the best known incidents in the entire Falklands Conflict, it is without doubt one of the most poorly documented.

It is covered in the latter part in Reasons In Writing by Ewan Southby-Tailyour, and in part in the various books by Simon Weston, a well known victim of the bombing, however there is no other detailed account of what happened and why that I know of.

In short, the other ranks of 1st Welsh Guards plus personnel from an RAMC unit were kept aboard the RFA Sir Galahad at anchor in Port Pleasant harbour despite the specific orders of a Royal Marines officer who was i/c amphibious operations in the area. There is much theory and opinion on the matter, but it has never been fully investigated officially or otherwise, and despite blame being apportioned by some and a number of Guards officers mentioned by name on a recent TV documentary, we are really no closer to knowing what really happened and why, or who was really to blame.

There have also been accusations of a cover up, but again there is no evidence one way or the other. Many have opinions, but no-one seems willing to go into print.

A TV heads up for those of you with Access to BBC2 (UK/Europe), and I believe this series is being shown in the US/Canada.

[SIZE=4]Peter and Dan Snow: 20th Century Battlefields - 1982 Falklands[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Mon 16 Jul, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins[/SIZE]

25 years ago Argentina triggered the last battle on British territory when it invaded the Falkland Islands. In this episode father-and-son presenters Peter and Dan Snow fly 8000 miles to the South Atlantic to tell the story of how the British Task Force fought back to regain control.

With his high-tech graphic mapcase, Peter shows the challenges faced by the British, thousands of miles from home or even friendly bases. Dan feels the force of the Sea Harrier fighter jets, so crucial to the survival of the British fleet in these icy waters. And he goes on a night-fighting training exercise under live fire to experience for himself the tactics used by the British ground troops in their fight to dislodge the Argentinians.

BBC TV

Previously there have been WW1/WW2/Korea/Vietnam, and last week the 1973 Yom Kippur War. The week after next is the final programme on Gulf War 1.

This has been a superb series with fantastic access to those who fought on both sides, fantastic visual aids etc.

For those not having direct access, these shows will hopefully turn up on YouTube before long. Sorry, but such technical wizardry is way beyond me.

Bump! .........

Quote Originally Posted by TheMongoose View Post
    There delaying replacing the F3's with the eurofighter apparently, they want to use the eurofighters they have for getting the air to ground capablitys sorted as far as I'm aware.

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted kayaker's Avatar
    At the wall table of a greasy spoon cafeteria with a battered,red Mini outside..with Mary on my mind

Despite being one of the best known incidents in the entire Falklands Conflict, it is without doubt one of the most poorly documented.

It is covered in the latter part in Reasons In Writing by Ewan Southby-Tailyour, and in part in the various books by Simon Weston, a well known victim of the bombing, however there is no other detailed account of what happened and why that I know of.

In short, the other ranks of 1st Welsh Guards plus personnel from an RAMC unit were kept aboard the RFA Sir Galahad at anchor in Port Pleasant harbour despite the specific orders of a Royal Marines officer who was i/c amphibious operations in the area. There is much theory and opinion on the matter, but it has never been fully investigated officially or otherwise, and despite blame being apportioned by some and a number of Guards officers mentioned by name on a recent TV documentary, we are really no closer to knowing what really happened and why, or who was really to blame.

There have also been accusations of a cover up, but again there is no evidence one way or the other. Many have opinions, but no-one seems willing to go into print.
    Thanks for writing that DW58. And I will keep a lookout for the book.

A TV heads up for those of you with Access to BBC2 (UK/Europe), and I believe this series is being shown in the US/Canada.

[SIZE=4]Peter and Dan Snow: 20th Century Battlefields - 1982 Falklands[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Mon 16 Jul, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins[/SIZE]

25 years ago Argentina triggered the last battle on British territory when it invaded the Falkland Islands. In this episode father-and-son presenters Peter and Dan Snow fly 8000 miles to the South Atlantic to tell the story of how the British Task Force fought back to regain control.

With his high-tech graphic mapcase, Peter shows the challenges faced by the British, thousands of miles from home or even friendly bases. Dan feels the force of the Sea Harrier fighter jets, so crucial to the survival of the British fleet in these icy waters. And he goes on a night-fighting training exercise under live fire to experience for himself the tactics used by the British ground troops in their fight to dislodge the Argentinians.

BBC TV

Previously there have been WW1/WW2/Korea/Vietnam, and last week the 1973 Yom Kippur War. The week after next is the final programme on Gulf War 1.

This has been a superb series with fantastic access to those who fought on both sides, fantastic visual aids etc.

For those not having direct access, these shows will hopefully turn up on YouTube before long. Sorry, but such technical wizardry is way beyond me.
    A superb documentary - hope it reaches YouTube for those of you who haven't seen it.