Page 49 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3941424344454647484950515253545556575999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Falklands 30

Quote Originally Posted by John_J View Post
    when the whole squad starts to fire in one direction...at the same time..they are all more or less "empty" at the same time..that leaves very defenseless against enemy fire.
    But I wonder how much is actual battle tactics and how much is just for the camera.

-----JT-----

Quote Originally Posted by John_J View Post
    when the whole squad starts to fire in one direction...at the same time..they are all more or less "empty" at the same time..that leaves very defenseless against enemy fire.
    At around 4.15 in the second video? Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post
    But I wonder how much is actual battle tactics and how much is just for the camera.

-----JT-----
    Well, I didn't look too close, but I hope they're using blanks. Mainly because the last guy to turn toward the 'threat' opened up from the hip with his muckers massively reducing his arcs. Bad skills.

Default Falklands TO&E

I am looking for help
    I am a looking for the breakdown from platoon on down, for the british forces who were on the Falkland islands. If you know a book or a web sight where this info is please send it too me

Kyle Oberst USMC

Brit orbats in the Falklands varied a fair amount from unit to unit, such as Paras, Royal Marines, Guards. Then you have the SAS, SBS, engineers etc. I have a book called Goose Green by Mark Adkin which goes into some serious detail of how 2 PARA was organised and equipped in the Falklands, I will post some details from it, not too much now though. First off most battalions or commandos followed the pretty straightforward standard orbat ie. three/four rifle companies (each of three platoons, each in turn of three sections), a support company (mortar, anti-tank, machine-gun, assault pioneer and recce platoons) and a HQ company (administrative and logistic elements, plus signallers). The para battalions differed in that they had three rifle companies and a patrol company (two platoons of six 4-man patrols each), plus spt coy (no recce platoon) and HQ coy. The Marines used slightly different terminology, platoons were called troops.

Rifle sections were meant to be eight men (two 4-man fire teams, led by a Cpl and L/Cpl), three combining with a small HQ (5-6 men under a Lt) to form a platoon, but some were understrength. In 2 Para at least most sections had an extra GPMG (there were normally 7 SLRs and 1 GPMG), others got an M79 grenade launcher. An M79 man would also have an SMG . Some men in the section wold also carry 66mm LAWs. The platoon HQ had the platoon commander, plt sgt, signaller, one/two men with a 51mm mortar and one with an 84mm recoilless rifle (Carl G), most/all armed with SLRs. Units didn't always carry the mortar and 84 into action, at Goose Green some companies left their mortars behind. Three platoons plus an HQ of 10-12 men (under a Maj) made a rifle coy.

As far as 2 PARA's support company goes, the mortar platoon had eight 81mm mortars plus a couple of mortar fire controller parties, the anti-tank platoon about 6 Milan firing posts, the MG platoon 9 more GPMGs. I think some other units may have had more Milans. No unit would ever be exactly like another. I can look in the book on the weekend to find more details on signals, HQs, attachments etc, hope this helps you.

Here is an orbat of the troops who were there:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British..._Falklands_War
    Last edited by baboon6; 07-12-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Default Thanks

I will try too get the book

Default Who's been smoking what?

'A hell of a fight'?

What's this one talking about? Obviously you heard that from a friend instead of actually reading upon the incident.

And as for 'bad skills' i think your being very nice to them mate, if that was me and there was a camera there i'd want to look as profesional as i supposedly was.

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaibil1944 View Post
    These were the SF which fought the SAS and gave them a hell of a fight, i want to know more about this units the 601 commandos company, about training, selection, missions, etc.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OgiNk63LfNw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DCHYbKk4ONY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bcr_QiBVJM8

Sorry its in Spanish but contains some awesome training footage.
    I think you need to do some research before posting such wild and sweeping statements.

Hello delta im new here that was my first post, i did'nt mean to be inflametory but while ive view for a while i just registered a few days ago when i read that wild statement the other day, and felt reality forced me to question it.

Quote Originally Posted by loko01563 View Post
    Hello delta im new here that was my first post, i did'nt mean to be inflametory but while ive view for a while i just registered a few days ago when i read that wild statement the other day, and felt reality forced me to question it.
    He wasn't talking to you, but in any case I think you are both agreeing.

Quote Originally Posted by loko01563 View Post
    As Auzzie says, I wasn't addessing you at all.

I did'nt think he was i just noticed he was there and approached him to say hi and announce i was here, for the first time. Hi to you to mate, this is a great site and im glad to be here.

Banned user

You should read more about the malvinas (Falklands fights), before saying to me to read.

Quote Originally Posted by kaibil1944 View Post
    You should read more about the malvinas (Falklands fights), before saying to me to read.
    I suggest checking your private messages before making yet another wild and sweeping statement on a subject you clearly know nothing about.

The only well known battle during the Falklands that I heard of them fighting in was the battle of Top Malo House, but I'm pretty sure that was against Royal Marines.

One of the guys mentioned in the intro to the first part of the film - Sgt. Cisneros - was killed when his patrol was ambushed by the SAS between Mts. Kent and Challenger on the night of 8th-9th June '82. Interestingly, this patrol was not even from Cdo 601, but from Cdo 602.

Following the ambush and several exchanges of fire at very close range (40-50m), the Cdo 602 Patrol commander (Maj Aldo Rico) called in artillery support and they bugged out. This was certainly no victory for Cdo 602, and to say that they gave The SAS "One hell of a fight" is wishful thinking at best.

I'm not altogether sure as yet, in which actions the other men mentioned were killed, but I have considerable doubt that it was in action with the SAS. I'll have to dig deeper, but records on where/when individual Argies were killed are difficult to find in English, if at all. Such information often just isn't known, perhaps one of our Argentine members can help?

I think young Kaibil has got hold of a snippet of a story and done a 2+2=5 with it. I would welcome further input from a knowledgeable Argentine or other source - no Kaibil, that doesn't mean you.