Page 49 of 186 FirstFirst ... 3941424344454647484950515253545556575999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Falklands 30

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaWhisky58 View Post
    I think sometimes that people - even in the UK - forget that this was a totally illegal act of unbridled agression on the part of Argenina.

I was appalled recently to hear Argentines describing Baroness Thatcher as a "War Criminal" over the sinking of ARA General Belgrano.

Whilst I don't want to drag this thread down in any way, this nonsense has to stop.

It is time that the Argentine nation looked closely at why they invaded British Sovereign territory, and why their supposed claim over what they erroneously refer to as Las Malvinas what brought to the fore by the Peron regime and his Fascist successors, and conveniently used to divert public opinion from the way the country was being flushed down the toilet by their mismanagement and brutality.

Twenty five years have passed, and yet we get the same old story. Face it Argentina, things are not going to change, The Falkland Islands are British, end of discussion.

Apologies for this rant, but I'm getting so sick of this - it's 25 years on and still the same old rubbish.
    Our governments do not use the Malvinas issue to divert public opinion from our internal problems, you must know that for that, our government use ssoccer, Maradona´s life and things like that.

And please, do not get sick. Four you it is 25 years of the same rubbish, for us 174 years since our first island government.

We will continue to interchange pictures and opinions, in a friendly way, of course, without give up to what we believe.

regards

Cartero

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cartero View Post
    Our governments do not use the Malvinas issue to divert public opinion from our internal problems, you must know that for that, our government use ssoccer, Maradona´s life and things like that.

Cartero
    Not any longer thank goodness - your governments have improved a lot since the early eighties - unfortunately ours have gone the opposite way, but that's another story altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by sp2c View Post
    btw is this a good movie??
    is there a DVD with english subs?

the shots look good but I don't want to see some propaganda film especially since it's unlikely to be for sale in the Netherlands
    Its a good movie, not superb but a good one. I guess the DVD release includes english subs.

Of course, writted by a conscript veteran, do not support the 1982 war, and shows some Argentine officers stupidity and criminal behaviour. I can sum it as pacifist and anti war film. But at the end´s film it remember the Argentine claims over the islands.

At this point...the Argentine rights are so arguable and matter to debate as British rights. I repeat my wishes to carry on with this thread as a place to exchange our knowledge about the conflict. For me UN Decolonization Comitte with Argentine and British goverments are the genuine institutions who must go ahead with negotiations.

If Im not wrong this thread is to post information about Military History.

Cya.
    Last edited by Pibevitina; 07-07-2007 at 09:12 AM. Reason: DVD subs.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaWhisky58 View Post
    Cpl. Robinson's medals have been withdrawn from ebaY meaning that either they have been sold elsewhere (the possibility of which was indicated), or that they have been withdrawn from sale.

I'm surprised that this wasn't picked up by the media - has anyone seen/heard anything on this?
    While checking for news of the sale I came across an upcoming auction of Bill Bentley's medals scheduled for the 19th of July.

Link to website here.

The auction estimate is £ 25,000-30,000. It's not hard to see how veterans can be "persuaded" to sell with such large figures being thrown about.

Note: Depending on your browser, you may have to close the spink window and click on the link again to get to the correct page.
    Last edited by Robbee; 07-08-2007 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Added browser note

[SIZE=4]Profile: Admiral Sir Alan West[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Admiral Sir Alan West is a veteran of the Falklands War[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Admiral Sir Alan West, minister in charge of security, is a Falklands veteran and former head of the navy, with a long naval and governmental career.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]He was awarded the distinguished service cross for his work commanding the frigate HMS Ardent in the Falklands conflict. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]He has been critical in the past of the government on defence matters. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Last year, he warned that lives could be lost among Britain's armed forces if the government failed to invest adequately in defence. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]And as head of the navy he reportedly took private legal advice on the legality of the Iraq war - which concluded that the war was legal. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Victory parade [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Sir Alan, now 59, joined the navy aged 17, and during his career served on 14 different ships, commanding three of them including HMS Ardent. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The frigate sank in 1982 during the Falklands conflict with the loss of 22 lives, and Sir Alan was the last to leave the stricken vessel. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]He was subsequently awarded the distinguished service cross and led the Falklands victory parade upon his return to London. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Since the Falklands, Sir Alan has played a key strategic role in virtually all of Britain's major conflicts and naval manoeuvres. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Defence intelligence [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]From 1989 to 1992, he ran naval intelligence for the Ministry of Defence and co-ordinated operations during the first Gulf War. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]He was promoted to rear admiral in 1994, and two years later to commander of the UK Task Group which included leading the withdrawal from Hong Kong. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]In 1997, he was appointed chief of defence intelligence and deputy chairman of the joint intelligence committee.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The period under his leadership covered strikes against Iraq, the conflict in Kosovo and operations in Sierra Leone.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]In 2000 he was promoted to admiral and appointed commander-in-chief fleet, also becoming Nato commander-in-chief East Atlantic and Nato commander allied naval forces north. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]He was first sea lord - the professional head of the Royal Navy - and chief of the naval staff, also becoming first and principal naval aide-de-camp to the Queen, from 2002 until 2006. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]NHS review [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]In 2005 he took a key role in the navy's celebrations to mark the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, acting as chief mourner in a re-enactment of Nelson's funeral. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Sir Alan became the ceremonial head of Southampton Solent University in 2006, when he was installed as chancellor. He has also served as a trustee of the Imperial War Museum. Earlier this month, Gordon Brown said Sir Alan would carry out a review of NHS recruitment procedures, following the alleged involvement of foreign-educated doctors in the suspected attempted car bombings in London and Glasgow. Sir Alan was born in April 1948. He was educated at Windsor Grammar School and Clydebank High School, and is married. [/SIZE]

BBC News Online

Banned user

Default Argentine Commandos documentary

These were the SF which fought the SAS and gave them a hell of a fight, i want to know more about this units the 601 commandos company, about training, selection, missions, etc.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OgiNk63LfNw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DCHYbKk4ONY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bcr_QiBVJM8

Sorry its in Spanish but contains some awesome training footage.
    Last edited by kaibil1944; 07-09-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Banned user

Here are some pics of them.

Last edited by kaibil1944; 07-09-2007 at 06:48 PM.

when the whole squad starts to fire in one direction...at the same time..they are all more or less "empty" at the same time..that leaves very defenseless against enemy fire.

Quote Originally Posted by John_J View Post
    when the whole squad starts to fire in one direction...at the same time..they are all more or less "empty" at the same time..that leaves very defenseless against enemy fire.
    But I wonder how much is actual battle tactics and how much is just for the camera.

-----JT-----

Quote Originally Posted by John_J View Post
    At around 4.15 in the second video? Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by vajt View Post
    But I wonder how much is actual battle tactics and how much is just for the camera.

-----JT-----
    Well, I didn't look too close, but I hope they're using blanks. Mainly because the last guy to turn toward the 'threat' opened up from the hip with his muckers massively reducing his arcs. Bad skills.

Default Falklands TO&E

I am looking for help
    I am a looking for the breakdown from platoon on down, for the british forces who were on the Falkland islands. If you know a book or a web sight where this info is please send it too me

Kyle Oberst USMC

Brit orbats in the Falklands varied a fair amount from unit to unit, such as Paras, Royal Marines, Guards. Then you have the SAS, SBS, engineers etc. I have a book called Goose Green by Mark Adkin which goes into some serious detail of how 2 PARA was organised and equipped in the Falklands, I will post some details from it, not too much now though. First off most battalions or commandos followed the pretty straightforward standard orbat ie. three/four rifle companies (each of three platoons, each in turn of three sections), a support company (mortar, anti-tank, machine-gun, assault pioneer and recce platoons) and a HQ company (administrative and logistic elements, plus signallers). The para battalions differed in that they had three rifle companies and a patrol company (two platoons of six 4-man patrols each), plus spt coy (no recce platoon) and HQ coy. The Marines used slightly different terminology, platoons were called troops.

Rifle sections were meant to be eight men (two 4-man fire teams, led by a Cpl and L/Cpl), three combining with a small HQ (5-6 men under a Lt) to form a platoon, but some were understrength. In 2 Para at least most sections had an extra GPMG (there were normally 7 SLRs and 1 GPMG), others got an M79 grenade launcher. An M79 man would also have an SMG . Some men in the section wold also carry 66mm LAWs. The platoon HQ had the platoon commander, plt sgt, signaller, one/two men with a 51mm mortar and one with an 84mm recoilless rifle (Carl G), most/all armed with SLRs. Units didn't always carry the mortar and 84 into action, at Goose Green some companies left their mortars behind. Three platoons plus an HQ of 10-12 men (under a Maj) made a rifle coy.

As far as 2 PARA's support company goes, the mortar platoon had eight 81mm mortars plus a couple of mortar fire controller parties, the anti-tank platoon about 6 Milan firing posts, the MG platoon 9 more GPMGs. I think some other units may have had more Milans. No unit would ever be exactly like another. I can look in the book on the weekend to find more details on signals, HQs, attachments etc, hope this helps you.

Here is an orbat of the troops who were there:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British..._Falklands_War
    Last edited by baboon6; 07-12-2007 at 08:52 PM.

Default Thanks

I will try too get the book

Default Who's been smoking what?

'A hell of a fight'?

What's this one talking about? Obviously you heard that from a friend instead of actually reading upon the incident.

And as for 'bad skills' i think your being very nice to them mate, if that was me and there was a camera there i'd want to look as profesional as i supposedly was.

Quote Originally Posted by kaibil1944 View Post
    These were the SF which fought the SAS and gave them a hell of a fight, i want to know more about this units the 601 commandos company, about training, selection, missions, etc.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OgiNk63LfNw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DCHYbKk4ONY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bcr_QiBVJM8

Sorry its in Spanish but contains some awesome training footage.
    I think you need to do some research before posting such wild and sweeping statements.