Page 75 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2565676869707172737475767778798081828385125175 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2748

Thread: Falklands 30

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by chefjavier View Post
    Can you fly to the Falkland islands from Buenos Aires?
    The best way to get to the Falklands is LAN Chile via Santiago / Punta Arenas. You can go from the Islands to Punta Arenas and go overland to Buenos Aires. This way you can visit many of the Argentine staging sites in Patagonia including Rio Gallegos, Comodoro Rivadavia, Bahia Blanca and Trelew (Welsh town).

or make a connecting flight to Buenos Aires via Santiago.

LAN is the best airline in Latin America with free wine and charming hostesses. They also accept BA frequent flyer points.

[quote however it also portrayed the British as thugs and murders with some point of what can be called war atrocities “The taking of ears” as souvenirs; I know this to be true and I like most veterans can only feel pain and sorrow for those who suffered this insult.
    [/quote]

There where one incident where ears where cut of, the soldier who commited this later died, I don't think that you can call that " atrocities", I am sure had he not died and been found out, he would have been severely punished with a trip to the glass house, but thats hypthetical

Quote Originally Posted by Junkelf View Post
    [quote however it also portrayed the British as thugs and murders with some point of what can be called war atrocities “The taking of ears” as souvenirs; I know this to be true and I like most veterans can only feel pain and sorrow for those who suffered this insult.
    There where one incident where ears where cut of, the soldier who commited this later died, I don't think that you can call that " atrocities", I am sure had he not died and been found out, he would have been severely punished with a trip to the glass house, but thats hypthetical[/quote]

If you took time to read my views I have nothing but respect for all who served and all who fell. The act in itself is an atrocity regardless, who, or why; the soldier killed was a soldier in battle and did not deserve the act and humiliation, the fact that the man who committed this act died whilst in battle does not remove the disgust I have for the act he committed. I will not condole or apologies for this act as I don’t have the right; my time down their was at the back and never in the firing line so I cannot make comment on the reactions of fighting men also I cannot say, “is one act of stupidity a disgrace on whole regiment” I don’t think so I think these men and the men who never came back will always be remembered with pride regardless. The film I mentioned showed this act in very small detail; however the content and way it was shown made it clear that in the film it was to be seen as a political statement and to show the brutality of the British. That’s all on this subject.

Gods Country, Where women glow and men plunder.

Here's 1 for all what was the Argo sub that a wasp put a missile through the coning tower & it was just sitting at a wharf somewhere down there?? what ever happen to it??

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

The Submarine you refer to was the ARA Santa Fe (formerly USS Guppy) - it was attacked by the RN whilst attacking RN vessels on the surface off South Georgia. It was disabled by a combination of hits from SS11 ASMs, depth charges and machine gun fire. The vessel limped into Grytviken harbour where it subsequently sunk at its moorings. Eventually it was re-floated by the RN, towed out to sea and scuttled.

With reference to the so called atrocities carried out by British troops, this was fully investigated by the RMP SIB following the conflict who confirmed it was confined to a single soldier/body and that the soldier concerned had later been killed. This was an unfortunate incident, but such things will happen in time of conflict in all areas. Of course there were also incidents in the other direction, but I note that there has been no mention of torture of prisoners, what was in effect the Port Howard concentration camp, mock executions etc.

The Falklands conflict is now 26+ years ago, why can't people desist from making inflammatory posts on this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaWhisky58 View Post
    The Submarine you refer to was the ARA Santa Fe (formerly USS Guppy) - it was attacked by the RN whilst attacking RN vessels on the surface off South Georgia. It was disabled by a combination of hits from SS11 ASMs, depth charges and machine gun fire. The vessel limped into Grytviken harbour where it subsequently sunk at its moorings. Eventually it was re-floated by the RN, towed out to sea and scuttled.

With reference to the so called atrocities carried out by British troops, this was fully investigated by the RMP SIB following the conflict who confirmed it was confined to a single soldier/body and that the soldier concerned had later been killed. This was an unfortunate incident, but such things will happen in time of conflict in all areas. Of course there were also incidents in the other direction, but I note that there has been no mention of torture of prisoners, what was in effect the Port Howard concentration camp, mock executions etc.

The Falklands conflict is now 26+ years ago, why can't people desist from making inflammatory posts on this topic?
    DW - I’ am not making any comment on the incident I am quoting how it was portrayed in the film. As for the other incidents like "head or toes photo" yes things happen in time of conflict you only have to look at Iraq.

If you took time to read my views

Dear Herb401

I did read your views, I just don't agree with the term Atrocities..as in more than one or many.... thats all.

I have the greatest respect for everybody who served in the Falklands

Was the movie with English subtitles????
    Where did you buy it?

The Falklands conflict is now 26+ years ago, why can't people desist from making inflammatory posts on this topic?[/quote]

Could you please explain what you mean by imflammatory post?

I am serius and not trying to be a smartass or a trold, I Honestly dont know what
    post in here are imflammatory??

Quote Originally Posted by Junkelf View Post
    Could you please explain what you mean by imflammatory post?

I am serius and not trying to be a smartass or a trold, I Honestly dont know what
    post in here are imflammatory??[/quote]

Junkelf

I picked the film, up in HMV Manchester £20.00 last copy and yes it with sub-titles. Very good film worth watching. I to don’t understand the above comments as I was quoting the film and not the real incident and I do not take your comment as rude or derogatory, as for the thread I like it, I like the openness and the fact we have the freedom to comment and discuss incidents which happened and for people to openly pass their views. It’s a credit to those who started it “DW”

As for a comment a few post ago regarding Pictures of Dead Argentine Soldiers; it no different than buying a book form WH Smiths or looking at a site on WW1 and WW2. I do not think people are getting kicks out of it. “they are showing the Waste and Act of WAR”

Quote Originally Posted by chefjavier View Post
    Did the SAS took part in the Mainland?
    Yes 2 x Troops and 264 Signals

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerknacker View Post
    Is really shocking the pleasure of british some members who had posted photos of dead and mutilated argentine soldier bodies, they must have a weird enjoyment seeing those.
    Pictures of Dead Argentine Soldiers; it no different than buying a book form WH Smiths or looking at a site on WW1 and WW2. I do not think people are getting kicks out of it. “they are showing the Waste and Act of WAR”

If you look at some who have posted they were their in the thick of it and some were hurt they have a right to share their views, comments and material, I for one respect that. Also have a loo0k back and you will see where the same people have shown respect in photos for what was once their enermy in combat. So no I don't see it as sick and twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by herb401 View Post
    DW - I’ am not making any comment on the incident I am quoting how it was portrayed in the film. As for the other incidents like "head or toes photo" yes things happen in time of conflict you only have to look at Iraq.
    Sorry Herb, you misunderstand me. I was not in any way criticising you, in fact my comments were aimed more as a generality about the multitude of antagonistic and similar posts made on this and every other thread ever posted here about the Falklands conflict - I topic that everyone should be able to see I am passionate about.

It was actually comments like that posted earlier by Panzerknacker which I was annoyed about. Rude, inflammatory and totally unnecessary, also not the first such comment on this topic from him. Many Argentine members have posted sensible, polite and informative messages on this thread, but other like Panzerknacker just can't leave things alone. It's history, nearly one thousand people died because of Argentina's corrupt government - leave things be and stop the childish flaming.

Quote Originally Posted by herb401 View Post
    Yes 2 x Troops and 264 Signals
    Sorry that should be Squadron I think it was 22 SAS D and G Sqn
    also 264 SAS Signal Sqn and other Specalist

Default photos

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerknacker View Post
    Is really shocking the pleasure of british some members who had posted photos of dead and mutilated argentine soldier bodies, they must have a weird enjoyment seeing those.
    if you mean the photos i posted, i post them not to exploit the soldiers, but to show people the terrible waste of life, a lot of people only see war through a tv screen or computer screen, i do not know whether you "panzerknacker" have ever been fighting your country if you have you will probably share with me, "more as i get older" my disgust and the waste of young mens lives. and the more people who see of it for what it is,
    i lost my friends down there and there is not a day since 1982 that do not think about it, Mount Longdon will all ways be with me.

Great photo of you and David Cooper Jimmy - was that down south last year?